Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Turns out it gets pretty loving cold when the sun goes down. This is the point I decided more uphill was unwise and headed home for turkey sandwiches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Rime posted:

I have extremely high arches, I get nerve compression in my right foot to varying degrees in any boot I've worn this decade. I spent a couple hours at a boot fitter finding something which didn't cause extreme pain this season, because you can't punch under the arch buckles. This isn't really the jerry "buying what feels cozy" situation it's being portrayed as.

And yes, it was hilariously skied out and iced over at Louise, raincrust at Castle when it opened provided better turns.

What’s up fellow high arch goon. I assume you have (real) custom insoles, yes?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

knox_harrington posted:

Turns out it gets pretty loving cold when the sun goes down. This is the point I decided more uphill was unwise and headed home for turkey sandwiches.

Always warmer in the uphill too. Looks awesome.

Flying out tonight to ole Canada. Saturday and skinning can't come soon enough.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Finally got Day 1 in the books. Bluebirds and fast snow at Bachelor. Shockingly it was loving empty. Can't wait to get some turns on Cloudchaser on a pow day. That terrain looks fun as gently caress.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

spwrozek posted:

Always warmer in the uphill too. Looks awesome.

Flying out tonight to ole Canada. Saturday and skinning can't come soon enough.

Extreme avalanche risk in the Rockies/West coast right now.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
40 - 50% chance of rain all day tomorrow. really wanna ski tho :(

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

little munchkin posted:

40 - 50% chance of rain all day tomorrow. really wanna ski tho :(
Buy a rubber rain suit and work gloves at a tractor supply or other hardware store. Wear over ski gear as desired. Enjoy being totally dry all day and not caring at all about the fact it's raining. It'll also be way cheaper than trying to buy waterproof ski jacket/pants and last way longer.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Master_Odin posted:

Buy a rubber rain suit and work gloves at a tractor supply or other hardware store. Wear over ski gear as desired. Enjoy being totally dry all day and not caring at all about the fact it's raining. It'll also be way cheaper than trying to buy waterproof ski jacket/pants and last way longer.

i skiied in canada a long time ago and they gave everyone those trash-bag looking ponchos because it was raining real hard. ended up being a super fun day. not worth doing a bunch of work though for early winter northeast skiing with almost no real snow yet

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Extreme avalanche risk in the Rockies/West coast right now.

There is a special warning, we had the same thing in Colorado last weekend. The South Columbia looks like it is setting up well though. We have been having daily conversations about the snow and forecast. We will be taking it pretty easy on Saturday, the ladies are super risk adverse which is helpful. Thanks for the heads up though.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

So when I do buy my first set of skis, do they need a wax / tune before using them?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

regulargonzalez posted:

So when I do buy my first set of skis, do they need a wax / tune before using them?

Nope.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Has anyone skied the Rustler 10?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

How do I suck less at turning / make the transition from greens to blues / get comfortable going faster and not dropping back to plow turns?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Raise your inside foot when you turn to avoid going back into the snowplow maybe

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

kiimo posted:

Raise your inside foot when you turn to avoid going back into the snowplow maybe

Everyone should still learn how to do a stem christie.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

With such a big question, the answer is obviously get a lesson or lessons

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Hi. I’m the guy with the Ikon pass who just booked four days at Crested Butte because it’s cheaper to get hotel, lessons for the two yutes, and lift tickets than at Steamboat :psyduck:

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Dec 28, 2019

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

movax posted:

How do I suck less at turning / make the transition from greens to blues / get comfortable going faster and not dropping back to plow turns?

Last year was my first season of skiing and some tips that helped me progress to blues:

- your weight should always be centered or even a little forward. Nothing fucks your day up faster than pulling back. But the hell of it is, that's the instinctual thing to do especially if you get out of your comfort zone via your speed or seeing an intimidating looking stretch in front of you. It's something I still always need to be conscious of. Shins pressing the front of your boots is a good guideline.

- my personal experience was that greens were generally too slow for me to work on the transition from snowplow / pizza skiing to parallel skiing. Just gotta take your knocks on easier blues.

- watch videos on YouTube. They'll help a very little bit, like as much as watching a video about how to ride a bike would help you do it. Ultimately it's about muscle memory and learning the feeling. Imagine teaching someone how to ride a bike; to you it's so easy and natural it's hard to even explain. So you say "balance! Keep pedaling!" But really the learner just has to find the balance themself. Keep working on getting on your edges in turns, do it over and over and fall down a lot and your body will learn it on its own eventually.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Eejit posted:

It's this!

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Watching videos of my snowboarding from someone else's perspective and comparing that to good snowboarders on video is also a great way I corrected some bad technique. Lessons are also good, probably better but more expensive.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Rime posted:

I have extremely high arches, I get nerve compression in my right foot to varying degrees in any boot I've worn this decade. I spent a couple hours at a boot fitter finding something which didn't cause extreme pain this season, because you can't punch under the arch buckles. This isn't really the jerry "buying what feels cozy" situation it's being portrayed as.

I have flat feet from fallen arches due to past injuries and a neuroma in one foot that causes numbness in the foot and extreme pain when overly compressed. Boot fitters at Cellar got me into customised shells that allow for my stupid duck feet to spread yet still hold me snug at an appropriate flex for me. I know there are mixed opinions about their boot fitters but they did be excellently well. And I didn't have to get scolded again by Lou to get properly fit boots.

quote:

And yes, it was hilariously skied out and iced over at Louise, raincrust at Castle when it opened provided better turns.

Weird. I heard nothing but good about Sunday and beyond. Snow to move for months. I did hear Louise was dangerous to your bottoms before that storm hit. I'm just waiting for the holiday crowds to thin before starting my season in a week.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Dangerllama posted:

Hi. I’m the guy with the Ikon pass who just booked four days at Crested Butte because it’s cheaper to get hotel, lessons for the two yutes, and lift tickets than at Steamboat :psyduck:

My guess is that it's because CB is in the middle of nowhere. Don't get me wrong, that's a good thing. Also it's gorgeous there and I'd love to try skiing there some day, although being a two hour drive for MTB during the summer is already pretty solid

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
We did a CB weekend trip last year and had a blast. Cheap food/VRBO. For sure going back this year at some point.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Today was a good day. :canada:

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

Got out touring today with the girlfriend for the first time at the local resort. Expected wind and fog, got a beautiful day! Happy to get above the sea of clouds for the morning. And she liked it, so that’s good.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Anachronist posted:

Got out touring today with the girlfriend for the first time at the local resort. Expected wind and fog, got a beautiful day! Happy to get above the sea of clouds for the morning. And she liked it, so that’s good.

Looks awesome!

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

movax posted:

I'm on my second season, and some things I've found helpful, in addition to getting my weight forward like regulargonzalez mentioned:

- Try focusing on shifting your weight off of your uphill ski when you turn, rather than on to your downhill ski. The lessons I took all emphasized shifting my weight on to my downhill ski, and I had a hard time with it, especially when turning right. Reversing it and focusing on getting off of my uphill ski has been a lot easier for whatever reason. There's a bunch of drills to help with this (thumpers, lifting the ski, etc).

- If you're anything like me, you're going too slow and stopping too much out of fear, which makes parallel turns tricky (they're harder at very slow speeds), which makes you more cautious, which means you keep going too slow and stopping. It's a bad cycle. I just had to force myself to go straight downhill for sections of some easy green runs to get comfortable with a little speed, and once I did parallel turns became so much easier. It still takes me 10-20 minutes to get comfortable again each time I ski, so it's not an instant fix, but it gets a little better each time.

nah thanks fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Dec 29, 2019

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies
Another key tip for people learning is please do not cut off patrollers running a tobaggan, or buzz it. I can guarantee you the patroller does not enjoy it.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

spwrozek posted:

Today was a good day. :canada:

drat, that's a good photo.

Also, I've been recently re-accquanited with skiing on Eastern Ice and it sure as hell makes me appreciate living in the west. :v:

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Day 2 was just as good.

https://youtu.be/5FAaBYhM7-g

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Master_Odin posted:

Another key tip for people learning is please do not cut off patrollers running a tobaggan, or buzz it. I can guarantee you the patroller does not enjoy it.

So your "key tip" is for something that a) you will rarely encounter especially in beginner areas and b) is common sense for any reasonable person

Or maybe I'm just out of the loop and beginners these days are running rampant, jibbing toboggans and harassing ski patrol

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies

ironlung posted:

So your "key tip" is for something that a) you will rarely encounter especially in beginner areas and b) is common sense for any reasonable person

Or maybe I'm just out of the loop and beginners these days are running rampant, jibbing toboggans and harassing ski patrol
You'd think it would be common sense, but I was a bit cranky yesterday as I got cut off twice yesterday in our beginner area as I was running a sled.

I also got to watch some people go treesking and coming out onto a closed trail that's got no snow and having to walk down it.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Apparently a couple weeks ago at Whistler there were honest-to-God collisions between patrol trying to sled people down and idiots with no control skiing into them.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Speaking of patrol, I can't express how much I appreciate the work ski patrol is doing. We had a random skier this week have a horrible crash off a jump. Both legs were shattered. My daughters were training nearby and told me his legs were twisted at weird unnatural angles and the snow was soaked with his blood so it was likely compound fractures. Patrol got him on the sled and off the hill quickly.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Hookshot and highme and anyone else, who are you guys using for custom race team jackets? We've been using Descente, but they're not doing U.S. custom orders for the 20/21 season as they change their distribution model.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ok, just read the OP but didn't see anything about buying skis.

Skiied for a couple years in Ohio (lol), then when I moved to Sac and had access to Tahoe, I switched to snowboarding. Snowboarded for 10 years or so and got pretty good at it. Was doing black diamonds with relative ease in year 2, going up every Sunday. Then I had kids. The first couple years I managed to get up to the mountain 1-2 times a year, and only going that often, I felt like I needed a couple days to get the feel of my board edges again to feel comfortable with my turns. I regressed super quickly and it became frustrating to go up with friends who ski way better than I now boarded. I felt like every time I went up I was in the "get comfortable with my edges and re-learning what I lost from last year" phase.

The past couple years when I can make it up (once, maybe twice a year if I'm lucky), I've exclusively skiied since it was easier to me (I'm a hockey player, so using and turning on skis is pretty easy to me) and it only takes me 1-2 runs to get comfortable on my edges after a year off, but I've been renting every time. I went up to Sugarbowl with my son yesterday and had a blast, but it made me want to buy skis, even though I'm only up once or twice a year now so I don't have to pay the rental fee for subpar equipment every time. Should I find a local shop to get fitted, or just buy online? What should I look to spend for something that I may use 1-2 times a year?

e: bonus pic of Sugarbowl peak yesterday afternoon

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Dec 30, 2019

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

Looks like an awesome trip!

movax
Aug 30, 2008

regulargonzalez posted:

Last year was my first season of skiing and some tips that helped me progress to blues:

- your weight should always be centered or even a little forward. Nothing fucks your day up faster than pulling back. But the hell of it is, that's the instinctual thing to do especially if you get out of your comfort zone via your speed or seeing an intimidating looking stretch in front of you. It's something I still always need to be conscious of. Shins pressing the front of your boots is a good guideline.

- my personal experience was that greens were generally too slow for me to work on the transition from snowplow / pizza skiing to parallel skiing. Just gotta take your knocks on easier blues.

- watch videos on YouTube. They'll help a very little bit, like as much as watching a video about how to ride a bike would help you do it. Ultimately it's about muscle memory and learning the feeling. Imagine teaching someone how to ride a bike; to you it's so easy and natural it's hard to even explain. So you say "balance! Keep pedaling!" But really the learner just has to find the balance themself. Keep working on getting on your edges in turns, do it over and over and fall down a lot and your body will learn it on its own eventually.

I think you nailed the points that are killing me around. I’m also terrified of slamming into other people (I try to give everything a wide berth) which also contributes to me trying to slow down way too much, to the point where I don’t have enough speed for parallel turns to work.

Eejit posted:

Going to sign up for one when I’m in Tahoe!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Yuns posted:

Hookshot and highme and anyone else, who are you guys using for custom race team jackets? We've been using Descente, but they're not doing U.S. custom orders for the 20/21 season as they change their distribution model.

LOL our club also uses Descente, and only just switched to them from Goldwin a couple years ago so that's going to be funny if we have to switch again. FWIW I thought the Goldwin jackets were way better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

HookShot posted:

LOL our club also uses Descente, and only just switched to them from Goldwin a couple years ago so that's going to be funny if we have to switch again. FWIW I thought the Goldwin jackets were way better.
Descente Mountain Americas says that they will not be taking orders from their retailers for 20/21 as they identify a distributor since they are moving to a distribution model but that 19/20 orders are proceedng normally and that they are committed to the North American market. We need jackets for 20/21 and I know that we didn't like the quality of some of the other brands so I'll ask the team to check out Goldwin.