Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

priznat posted:

I’ve owned enough German cars to immediately have my alarm bells tingling over that one :haw:

Regarding cameras I think I am unable to park in cars without all around views now :negative: (not really but it would actually take effort now)
I had to reverse into a narrow spot with an SUV crowding the line on one side and overhead covering steel post on the other, with the tailgate down so no camera. Did a good job, but was annoyingly nervous about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

ilkhan posted:

I had to reverse into a narrow spot with an SUV crowding the line on one side and overhead covering steel post on the other, with the tailgate down so no camera. Did a good job, but was annoyingly nervous about it.

Newer cars (especially crossovers) with massive pillars and small, high rear windows can make it especially hairy!

I drove a rental minivan a few weeks back and it was great for visibility though, like a big fishbowl.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The 360 cameras are great for parking lots, but they get dirty quickly now in winter. Has anyone tried the Audi 3D one?

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

I honestly just avoid any kind of narrow spaces now if I can help it. Someone with a CRV is going to swing their door as wide as it will allow them for their kid and ding your car. :argh: Same with parking next to giant fuckoff pickups too. That one is slightly less their fault, and just how pickups are designed.

Westy543 fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Dec 24, 2019

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

Westy543 posted:

I honestly just avoid any kind of narrow spaces now if I can help it. Someone with a CRV is going to swing their door as wide as it will allow them for their kid and ding your car. :argh: Same with parking next to giant fuckoff pickups too. That one is slightly less their fault, and just how pickups are designed.

My father in law (BMW driver, but still) always parks way at the back of lots or in spots surrounded by poles, etc. just to avoid this. People just don't give a poo poo about anything in a parking lot

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Meant to post yesterday but didn't want to double post.

California is banning time based billing for commercial EVSE, effective January 1st 2020. Fees like idle fees, service fees, parking costs where they'd normally be collected, etc are still okay to collect.

They must be billed by the kWh, and by 2023 all commercial evse must have a meter that shows capacity of station (eg 50 kWh charger), price per kWh, and amount dispensed. By 2031 all stations must be retrofit.

This is absolutely fantastic, especially for people with Kona and Niro EVs who want to charge on electrify america. But also for people like me who don't have a terribly fast charging car.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/Rivian/status/1209806030437154818?s=20

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

They are going to have quad motors....??? So they gonna have like 1200Nm torque?

LOL talk about gently caress diesel trucks

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

They are going to have quad motors....??? So they gonna have like 1200Nm torque?

LOL talk about gently caress diesel trucks

Not to mention it should be way better at maintaining traction off-road than any AWD gearbox tech in existence.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
If they price this right it's going to eat Tesla's lunch.

I can see people rolling to work in that. It's not too different than a late 90s truck and it doesn't have the overcompensation styling of the bigger cabs.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Cockmaster posted:

Not to mention it should be way better at maintaining traction off-road than any AWD gearbox tech in existence.

Could. Could be better, it's all down to who put the software together, how it was tested etc. I hope it's great, I wait for the inevitable "got confused, one wheel went -100% speed" video.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I expect to see the front and rear wheels going in reverse directions and ripping the cab in half

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

I expect to see the front and rear wheels going in reverse directions and ripping the cab in half
Or go the other way and turn the cab into a suicide booth!

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

FilthyImp posted:

It I remember correctly, the cheapest Rivian starts well above the most expensive cybertruck at like 80k. I think they'll serve different markets.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I looked up the MSRP on the R1T when I was showing my coworker: $69k (tax credit not included in that price)

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Westy543 posted:

It I remember correctly, the cheapest Rivian starts well above the most expensive cybertruck at like 80k. I think they'll serve different markets.

Yeah, I remember reading that Rivian is going to be marketing their truck as a luxury off-road adventure kind of vehicle.

Meanwhile, it's been stated that Tesla's truck will start at less than $50k. Between that and them advertising its towing capacity and 240V outlet, it sounds like that one will be marketed more as a work truck.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Cockmaster posted:

Without electronic intervention it'll be wheelspin city - as a purely mechnical system a AWD driveline will smack it out of the park for traction.

HOWEVER.....

EV's and traction control electronics just work sooooooo well together and and the feedback systems react so fast that mechanical / hydraulic methods just cant keep up, let alone you can tune for the conditions - ie gravel you want more % wheelspin to try and bite down hard into the harder earth below, tarmac you want about 25% slippage for max traction etc...... Put a half decent TC into a EV, NOW it's no contest.

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

Cockmaster posted:

Yeah, I remember reading that Rivian is going to be marketing their truck as a luxury off-road adventure kind of vehicle.

Meanwhile, it's been stated that Tesla's truck will start at less than $50k. Between that and them advertising its towing capacity and 240V outlet, it sounds like that one will be marketed more as a work truck.

Does anyone really think that the CyberTruck will be a better work truck than the Rivian? The bed is basically useless for large cargo in practice, despite the dimensions

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

What is this strange idea that people do "work" with their trucks?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Not in their trucks, in company trucks. A market dominated by practical-minded bean counters.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
I doubt either will be a "actual work truck" compared to the EF-150 that Ford will release sooner or later. All ford has to do is put the same 240v/120v power plugs on a normal F-150 body and it will eat all the "actual work truck" market share.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Ford already puts 120 volt outlets in a bunch of vehicles including the F-150. I don't think it gets used much by the work truck crowd who always have a generator anyway for the handful of tools that still have a cord. I doubt many contractors want to ditch their generator and power the construction site off their truck. Especially when they may not live anywhere near the site and would need the range to get home.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

FilthyImp posted:

I can see people rolling to work in that. It's not too different than a late 90s truck and it doesn't have the overcompensation styling of the bigger cabs.

The overcompensation styling is the entire reason people flock to them

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Lol at anyone who thinks that people who use their trucks for work are a significant demographic or that the Cybertruck is marketed to them.

Nobody who actually needs a truck for work buys a new truck. They buy a used beater and run it into the ground. Any of the nice and new trucks you see at job sites are managers from the construction firm checking on the people doing the actual work, and those people are all still driving mid-90's Chevys and Ford's.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I remember reading marketing materials for the Workhorse W-15 PHEV (EV with a gasoline range extender) which were trying to sell it on the basis of use in fleets. Basically making the argument that with the amount of driving many fleet vehicles get (lots of short trips within some local area) the truck would pay back its price premium over the course of a few years via savings in fuel costs.

I'm not sure that the same argument makes sense for a full EV just yet. It's more range than you need for short trips, and the price premium is worse.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

It's more ranching than farming here but plenty do buy new trucks when they have a good year.

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
I actually really like Rivian's design language so I would be very interested if they put out a CUV (or just a 5-seater version of the R1S).

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

The Rivian will be the EV for the Range Rover set and the Cybertrk, if it ever makes it to market will be a brogrammer toy. Neither will be bought in any real quantities by people who buy F-150s and Rams and poo poo

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Care to toxx any part of that?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
I haven't read this thread since I had my Volt a few years ago...what do you guys think about the Bolt? I think there are some Bolt owners in this thread? It won't be my family's primary car but I'll end up using it for some light commuting and airport trips (60 miles each way).

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

TheWevel posted:

I haven't read this thread since I had my Volt a few years ago...what do you guys think about the Bolt?
Styling is ok, interior is pretty rear end, but the technology tried to make up for it. I think some of the newer things on the market (Kona, EV Niro) might have eaten its market share?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Bolt doesn't get much tax refund. Leaf has slower quick charge. If you are really looking at a strictly commuting EV, then a Leaf (NON PLUS) might be the one for you @ $30k minus 7500 tax credit.
https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2019/01/nissan-leaf-vs-chevrolet-bolt-which-ev-is-right-for-you-.html

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Galler posted:

Ford already puts 120 volt outlets in a bunch of vehicles including the F-150. I don't think it gets used much by the work truck crowd who always have a generator anyway for the handful of tools that still have a cord. I doubt many contractors want to ditch their generator and power the construction site off their truck. Especially when they may not live anywhere near the site and would need the range to get home.

Generators with enough power to run high amp tools are loud and heavy and one more thing to take up truck space. I realize that it is a niche industry but in our fire protection pipe fabrication field setup, being able to setup the threader/cutter right off the back of the truck without having to worry about finding power would be loving phenomenal. Same for running a core drill setup somewhere real quick.

Though frankly on both accounts I want a van with said setup over a pickup.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

TheWevel posted:

I haven't read this thread since I had my Volt a few years ago...what do you guys think about the Bolt? I think there are some Bolt owners in this thread? It won't be my family's primary car but I'll end up using it for some light commuting and airport trips (60 miles each way).

This is my exact use case for my 2017 30kw Leaf, it's sitting at the airport right now, I cross shopped the Bolt and I think the older Leaf fits my use case for a much better value, airport trips require quick charge, so availability of ChaDeMo charges could swing that metric hard to the Bolt's favor.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Bolt does way better in the small overlap crash test, if that's a thing you look at.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

LRADIKAL posted:

Care to toxx any part of that?

Neither vehicle even has a firm production date so they're probably both at least a couple of years from seeing the road. But sure, I'll done 100 bucks the charity of your choice if the either ever matches 1/3rd of the Ford F-series sales in any quarter.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Got my first drive in a Tesla yesterday, finally. Friend's Model 3: four-wheel drive, extended range, highest level autopilot package.

gently caress it is an awesome machine. Build quality seemed great, there were a couple of paint chips from shipping which they've offered to fix for free but he's reluctant to spend half a day going to the centre to get them sorted, which seems understandable.

Only a couple of software things seemed a bit off. One was the Tesla long-range navigation, which didn't seem to have a setting for a minimum charge level. Which meant that when we tried planning trips to e.g. Scotland, it would get down to only 5% charge at some of the supercharger stops, which seems like cutting it way too fine especially in winter. Is there a setting we missed, to get it to leave more charge on the battery? Or is abetterrouteplanner the only option right now?

Also, do you have to manually turn sentry mode on/off when you park and return to the car? His didn't seem to be working properly.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

If you want a bigger margin, just charge more than recommended at the previous supercharger spot.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Driving a little slower will make a big difference too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I just ignore the optimistic prediction, and drive fast. Eventually, the car routes you to something else as long as there’s one in the way.

I’m surprised you can’t set a minimum SoC at stop/destination. My winter road trip from Atlanta to Vancouver, BC has had a shift of up to 15% from prediction to experienced consumption.

Here’s our travel distance and consumption so far.