Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Bard Maddox posted:

feel free to use this picture if you don't like one of my posts. I won't take it personal, I promise.

Lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

extradite THIS! posted:

Recommend me a Dick book.

Coming up on my list is some William Gibson. I have shamefully never read even Neuromancer
Galactic Pot Healer.

I got halfway through Neuromancer and never got comfortable with the nonsense words, and finally there was a sentence whose every part was nonsense. "We took the highjow to the hoopaw and kijowed the heehoo" or some shuch poo poo and I threw the book across the room and never picked it up again.

Granted, I was in highschool at the time so this was over 20 years ago.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Was thinking about weird sci-fi horror short stories this morning. There are two in particular that I love, both of which I found out about in an old PYF thread from like 2012.

Descending by Thomas M Disch, a story about a never ending escalator ride:

web.archive.org/web/20070213072942/www.scifi.com/scifiction/classics/classics_archive/disch/disch1.html

The Nine Billion Names Of God by Arthur C Clarke, about a computer designed to mathematically determine what god's name is:

https://urbigenous.net/library/nine_billion_names_of_god.html

If y'all like short speculative/creepy fiction that is a few good steps above Creepypasta in quality, then I can't recommend these enough.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
have you read Ted Chiang's newest collection, Exhalation? I haven't finished all of them but the ones I have read have been quite good.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Galactic Pot Healer.

I got halfway through Neuromancer and never got comfortable with the nonsense words, and finally there was a sentence whose every part was nonsense. "We took the highjow to the hoopaw and kijowed the heehoo" or some shuch poo poo and I threw the book across the room and never picked it up again.

Granted, I was in highschool at the time so this was over 20 years ago.

most of his futuristic street slang was drug talk and if you weren't on that level yet, it was absolutely bewildering. Neuromancer was really Gibson's best work imo. Everything else he did you kinda expected more Neuromancer poo poo and it never really got there.

I thought Neal Stephenson was the better cyberpunk writer but he had to ruin it with a 15 year old's sex scene.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Bard Maddox posted:

have you read Ted Chiang's newest collection, Exhalation? I haven't finished all of them but the ones I have read have been quite good.

Beta Bard I'm gonna be honest with you, I've never heard of this. But I'm gonna request it at the library because the wikipedia description, and most importantly your recommendation, sold me on it.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

My favorite books I read this year are two by Ottessa Moshfegh:

1. Homesick For Another World, a short story collection

2. My Year Of Rest And Relaxation, a novel

Both are incredibly funny and INCREDIBLY dark and are chock full of disgusting pervert men and emotionally exhausted women and nihilism. Cannot recommend them highly enough.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I'm on episode 3 of Witcher and I'm loving this show. Henry Cavill is great. And it's great they used practical effects for the Striga.

I remember getting the original version of The Witcher on PC, the really jank one before the enhanced edition and just fell in love with that dirty poo poo world filled with horrible and wonderful people.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I didn't like how the show kinda jumps around historically and doesn't give you a whole lot of indication until it dawns on you. Its not really a mystery if it just confuses you.

I want more tho. Cavill manages to Geralt the gently caress out of everything. Even getting laid.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I wish they had done a series of more episodic stories to establish the world and the characters before getting into the overarching Ciri stuff tbh.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I'm here to inform you about the secret real meaning of Christmas: Snacking on Christmas dinner leftovers at something past midnight two days after Christmas day. Drinking beer with your cool rear end cousins you get to see far too seldom is optional but preferable.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Making poutine out of prime rib is the true and secret meaning of Christmas

Seams posted:

I wish they had done a series of more episodic stories to establish the world and the characters before getting into the overarching Ciri stuff tbh.
The thing where the games couldn't do Ciri or wouldn't or whatever probably saved the whole series.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
My wife - "I never found Henry Cavill hot until The Witcher."

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Speaking of quotes here's what my grandma told me earlier today:

"As someone once said... life is poo poo and I've tasted it"

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

CobiWann posted:

My wife - "I never found Henry Cavill hot until The Witcher."

My wife said the same thing. I can't get past the terrible, terrible wig myself.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

extradite THIS! posted:

Speaking of quotes here's what my grandma told me earlier today:

"As someone once said... life is poo poo and I've tasted it"

My grandmother once dropped “what I’ve learned in 93 years is that no matter how hard I’ve worked, things turned out fine regardless, so there’s not much point in trying.” Still trying to digest that bit of wisdom.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I like the ciri in the game way more than the show. I'm more interested in the Warrior woman archetype then the scared waif running away from Destiny or towards Destiny or whatever. Ciri should be giving geralt poo poo and not laughing all of his stupid dad jokes while being a hundred times more badass than he is. My favorite thing about The Witcher 3 as hell you are not the main character of a story.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Cavill has always been a hunk but I think he was at his hunkiest in Mission Impossible.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

unsucked gems was great. the sand man will "Wow" you with his acting. i forgot if i made this post already in here cause i was delirious last night

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Blast Fantasto posted:

Cavill has always been a hunk but I think he was at his hunkiest in Mission Impossible.
He had good moments as Supes and I'm always going to be sad they let the hackfraud that is Snyder waste Cavill in that role, but yeah, he was better in MI.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I'm watching Twin Peaks, and holy poo poo does this show fall off the cliff after they catch Laura Palmer's killer.

I've never seen the last two thirds of season 2 until now. Probably should've kept it that way.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

the escape goat posted:

new season of Letterkenny just came out

it was a lot of fun

Better than last season, that's for sure

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Doc M posted:

I'm watching Twin Peaks, and holy poo poo does this show fall off the cliff after they catch Laura Palmer's killer.

I've never seen the last two thirds of season 2 until now. Probably should've kept it that way.

lol. i watch it every time just cause w/e. normal tv writers trying to ape lynch is so funny though. What if the guy dressed like a horse? gently caress it. Big spoon.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Doc M posted:

David Lynch's original idea was that the killer would never be caught, the mystery never solved. ABC forced an actual resolution, which was a dreadful decision.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i did not want kaori to leave in order to make it happen but i am about to watch the first episode of terrace house with hana kimura, i would assume. never been more excited for anything in my life except the disco elysium funko pops

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
The down period of S2 peaks is awful but the finale is one of the best episodes.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

i feel like the witcher should have been funnier also the bard character is a neelix-tier irritant

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
im sorry the correct answer for good dick book is VALIS

VALIS was the right answe

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i want hana to kiss the italian boy on my monitor

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Cavauro posted:

i want hana to kiss the italian boy on my monitor

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

yEAH

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
mama Mia

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

oh but seriously I posted:

i feel like the witcher should have been funnier also the bard character is a neelix-tier irritant

I liked Neelix.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i want hana to kiss the basketball player

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

i've been so tired for days. i go to bed at 5am i wake up at 7am i repeat i repeat i repeat. nothing to help me but the cinema, and the forums and my life's work. just kidding. but i am pretty tired lately

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
go to bed bitch

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

sleepy motha bleepy

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

absolutely not. 5 day weekend baby. getting zooted and going wild on the forums.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Sleeping on my slumber

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I started watching Mandalorian.

Pretty good y’all.