Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
This guy is an r/stadia mod and Google employee so he's a little biased.

quote:

Gerolux Moderator 4 points 4 months ago

Stadia doesnt NEED exclusive games because they already have features that are exclusive to their platform which devs will take advantage of when it makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

"When it makes sense" being literally never.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Zaodai posted:

"When it makes sense" being literally never.

So he’s technically correct.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

univbee posted:

So he’s technically correct.

The best kind of correct.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
which exclusive features would those be again?

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
r/Stadia is now talking about how actually it’s good that Google’s phone holder scratches the controller and you’d be an idiot to think otherwise.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

leftist heap posted:

which exclusive features would those be again?

Variable input lag and compression artifacting.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

leftist heap posted:

r/Stadia is now talking about how actually it’s good that Google’s phone holder scratches the controller and you’d be an idiot to think otherwise.

I thought you were kidding but

quote:

Dude, the finish on top of the controller is so easy to damage that your fingernail with a bit of pressure can take off the coating. This is not a big deal, especially since they warned it.

quote:

Wait a second... You're telling me that the claw that google sells that they say WILL scratch your controller actually scratched your controller!? How dare it!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The varnish on the Stadia controller is so thin a fingernail can scratch it off? That sure sounds like a quality product to me.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If you want quality and reliability definitely go with Google products.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Cardiovorax posted:

The varnish on the Stadia controller is so thin a fingernail can scratch it off? That sure sounds like a quality product to me.

Holy poo poo look at this Sony+MS paid FUDster.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

tater_salad posted:

Apparently if you don't have an Android you can't add gift cards to your balance. Someone on Reddit bought 120 in cards from Amazon because they had Amazon gift cards and is now hosed..

If that's Google Play gift cards, they are not even available in most countries to begin with. According to the Google's Play support pages they are not sold in Scandinavia, for example.

Cardiovorax posted:

So, if someone has an old NES controller from 1987 and a brand new Stadia controller with that phone holder claw, the NES controller might look newer within a week or so? :D

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Bofast posted:

So, if someone has an old NES controller from 1987 and a brand new Stadia controller with that phone holder claw, the NES controller might look newer within a week or so? :D
Well, that's just an unfair comparison. It's really difficult to live up to the standard set by Nintendium.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Someone's a paid shill for nentindo

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

quote:

What's up with the Stadia hate train (self.Stadia)
submitted an hour ago * by paraIy

Can anyone actually explain why god and the world is hating stadia that much?

I mean 99% of youtube is hating on it, calling the controller cheap manifactured trash although it feels great just like a dualshock 4

They have lags and huge compression artefacts even with a 1gbs connection, did they use a trash router with trash wifi and haven't even seen the ethernet port?

They talk about huge input lag and I honestly don't feel any difference between my xbox and stadia

It's early access of course some features are missing but the base product is solid and working fine, do they expect google as a new brand in the gaming market to instantly have 100 games? besides that everyone of them is ignoring that stadia will be free soon so you basically just buy games like on any other console with the difference that you don't need any hardware and can play it on most devices.

I'm just so annoyed by those sheeps that just believe anything youtubers do say and spread the word everywhere, at this rate stadia will die just like geforce now, sadly.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

quote:

Not worried at all. They have set up their own studio and I can't imagine the people they have managed to get for that would have signed up on a whim. The service is less than a month old. Why are people so quick to hate? Is this what society has become? Throw your toys out of the pram because you aren't getting everything you want right this instant? Give it a chance. The service works brilliantly. Streaming is the future. The next generation of consoles will be the last.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

quote:

I'm an old man who barely gets time to game anymore. If it's not for two kids headbutting me in the unmentionables repeatedly until I pay them attention, it's my massive toothed wife demanding I 'do' things;

"Stop wiping your boogers under the sofa when you're gaming!" or, "Have a shower you lazy, fat piece of poo poo." - It's never-ending.

So being a long time fan of Google and it's products, when Stadia was announced I squirreled away enough pocket money to finally get on board and get gaming, and my sweet Tom Cruise, am I glad I did.

Yes, I understand that there have been complaints in the media and from YouTube reviewers, about some of the stumbles the launch has had, but as a consumer who lives on coffee and the hope for at least an eight-hour sleep at some point, this is EXACTLY what I've been waiting for. Let me give you an example;

I own a ton of old consoles that my wife hides in the loft like it's my dirty shame, but currently I'm an Xbox One S Ultimate Game Pass subscriber, a PS4 player and I have a Switch loaded with an absolute midden of indie games, (I'm Scottish, 'Midden' means a helluva lot, or you're as dirty as hell.)

Despite this, since receiving my Founders Kit I've done little else but play Stadia. I've had Destiny 2 since it first came out, and fell away from it for being a bit dull on both Xbox and PS4. Yet on Stadia, I've been up to my proverbial nuts in the game, wondering what sweet yet devilish magic these magicians at Google have offered up to Beelzebub himself to not only make it work so well, but also make it look as beautiful as it does. I'm sucked back into the damned game because of you Google Overlords. How dare you allow me to transition from playing on my TV to playing on my mediocre PC with a scabby old Xbox 360 controller, and still look magnificent?!?

And Tomb Raider! I didn't give two poops about this when it came out on Xbox, yet here I am sniping idiots with a scabby bow, thinking I'm some super-evolved Bear Grylls with tits, and loving every minute!!

Samurai Showdown too is ace, (but I keep getting 'finger banged' horribly by better players or the CPU, and I turn it off in a huff, then spend 10 minutes calling the universe many unsavory names.)

How exactly have you mad bastards managed this? How have you allowed me to play games at this quality over a circular, sweaty dongle on the back of my TV, or through the monitor of my PC, which probably last saw dominance back when 'Johnny 5' was pissing about telling everyone he was alive and stuff?

And despite the fact that you only allow this goodness on Pixel mobiles currently, (C'mon Google pals, you can't tell me this isn't just to encourage us to buy Pixels? I bought nothing but Nexus phones till you priced me out the goddamned market, and now I have to use Samsung pish with that in-built 'Bixby' feature that I keep accidentally activating with that STUPID BUTTON, and wishing I had the balls to throw the bloody phone into the nearest river.) I still love the hell out of you guys.

Thank you for making an amazing gaming system, that I only hope grows and develops enough to show the world that you're awesome. This goodness works.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

It strikes me as odd that it seems to be so many older people who are Stadia cultists. I generally don't think of boomers (OK, not actually boomers) as being in the "Embraces new technology, no matter how questionable, with gusto" demographics.

E: All though "paid shills" doesn't seem unlikely

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Man that is some shiny rear end astroturfing there.

Keep posting more.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

That one certainly sounds like a real person taking about his wife

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
My sweet Tom Cruise?

I feel like this is a computer's attempt at being funny.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I'm still confused who the target market is meant to be here. Is this meant to be a console for people who aren't heavy gamers and who don't want to deal with consoles? Is this meant to be a competitor to consoles? Is it meant to be a replacement for consoles? The answer to this question changes from astroturfed post to astroturfed post.

All of these posts have to be astroturfed, because I refuse to believe people can get legitimately super excited over the ability to stream loving Destiny 2 - a free to play game available on every loving console except Switch - and Tomb Raider 2013.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Dec 28, 2019

...!
Oct 5, 2003

leftist heap posted:

quote:

Funny how no one reads anything then blames Google. This is the whole "Up to" fake drama all over again.

quote:

Except it originally was just something they did internally and everyone rage posted online for it and they wanted it asap. They go ahead and release it asap with a warning it will scratch the controller. People buy this first rev and then complain that the controller is scratched even with full warning.

I can't imagine hanging out with you fuckers in real life. Do you mother fuckers grab a plate when a waiter says "watch out this is really hot" then bitch that the plate shouldn't be that hot?

quote:

Zero cares from me. Its a controller. It's meant to be used. It'll probably get scuffed with daily use.

quote:

I would agree except the Founder's Controller is Limited Edition and I'd like to not purposefully put it in something that damages it...

quote:

OK, that is a fair point, then you should just buy a second controller and keep the FE controller in the box it came in.

quote:

If you want it to be a collectible, treat it that way. They sell regular controllers.

quote:

Seriously... Since when have people cared about keeping a game controller pristine?

quote:

Exactly. Not a huge deal. Not to mention the scuffs are barely noticeable.

quote:

I have yet to see a controller phone mount that hasn't scratched whatever controller it attaches to.

quote:

Unpopular opinion: scars are really pretty, and eventually having a battle-worn scratched up controller will become an aesthetic showing the dedication and length of use of the controller, rather than being the single few marks marring the normally really pretty controller design.

quote:

Google: let's make our products with recycled plastics to keep plastic waste to a minimum for the sake of the planet.

Consumers: thanks, we hate it.

quote:

Marred... is it really that big of a deal? The claw has to be tight. It’s physics.

quote:

While I agree some people are a hot zealous we also have to be honest here. Google did tell us that it could scratch the controller, so the people saying "OMG it scratched my controller" are equally rediculous.

You bought it knowing it would scratch your controller and then get mad when it does scratch the controller.

quote:

Your controller won't stay pretty forever just deal with it

quote:

Ah please...it's a f***ing controller. Use it.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

FrostyPox posted:

It strikes me as odd that it seems to be so many older people who are Stadia cultists. I generally don't think of boomers (OK, not actually boomers) as being in the "Embraces new technology, no matter how questionable, with gusto" demographics.

E: All though "paid shills" doesn't seem unlikely

part of being able to quickly embrace new technology with no real concern on whether it's worth your time/money is being financially well-off, it's not a big surprise to me that the kind of people getting sucked into the nonsense of stadia are gen-x computer toucher dads

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

...! posted:

Unpopular opinion: scars are really pretty, and eventually having a battle-worn scratched up controller will become an aesthetic showing the dedication and length of use of the controller, rather than being the single few marks marring the normally really pretty controller design.

I hate all of these but I hate this one the most. "Battle-worn", get the gently caress out of here with that poo poo.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I love Stadian's reverse sour grapes. Their world is a horrible place. . Everything you could enjoy is actually terrible. Everything gets horrible damaged by simple use cases. All their old consoles were always awful and they are glad to be rid of them.

Only the absence of a thing makes it good. Sure the laggy jaggy gaming is terrible, but its interpreted as sweet and succulent by their brains because they don't have a physical machine.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Is that subreddit more astroturfers than legitimate posters now? Are they just talking at each other like Twitter bots?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zaodai posted:

My favorite part of that post is actually the bit comparing it to making music digital. That wasn't a physical limitation to start with, that was just a math problem that eventually someone solved to prove that if you were fine with setting hard limits on the frequencies you were trying to translate from analog to digital, you could convert any analog stream within those confines to a digital one with zero loss because it could only ever represent one thing within those confines.

Getting communications to move faster than light isn't really a "just solve the math behind it and a computer can do it" type deal, nor is "most infrastructure is poo poo." :thunk:

The problem is, aside from willful ignorance/fanboyism/astroturfing, that people don't realize there's more to their internet connection than the jack in the wall the router plugs into. Internet's gotten faster since the mid 90's, so that means it'll CLEARLY just keep getting faster magically like before.

Kanos posted:

I'm still confused who the target market is meant to be here. Is this meant to be a console for people who aren't heavy gamers and who don't want to deal with consoles? Is this meant to be a competitor to consoles? Is it meant to be a replacement for consoles? The answer to this question changes from astroturfed post to astroturfed post.

All of these posts have to be astroturfed, because I refuse to believe people can get legitimately super excited over the ability to stream loving Destiny 2 - a free to play game available on every loving console except Switch - and Tomb Raider 2013.

I reckon the initial astro-turfing reviews targeting 1337 gAm4r d00dz fell through, so now they're trying to hit the older market in the ~30-year-old median-of-people-who-play-games range.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Regarding the Boomers thing, it suddenly makes their entire ad campaign make sense to me. That dude they have screaming and knocking poo poo around is way to old to seem like a "Cool Older Dude" the kids can look up to. But he is certainly about the right age for a "Dude Who Knows He Is Still Cool". Which is I guess the Male Boomer headspace.

Think about it. He knows much better than everyone else and is willing to share his opinions and expertise unasked. He flicks that poor Millenial Couples XBox out of their well appointed spacious apartment because he thinks it takes up too much room. No one can tell him otherwise, because he has the power. I have no idea what the gently caress "Electric Air You Can Play With" means and have no real comment on it. Maybe like some kind of power word or sutra? Or one of those The Secret style affirmations thing?

Edit:

Zushio fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Dec 28, 2019

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Kanos posted:

There's an article which does touch on that. The last two paragraphs seem to be the relevant ones, so I'll just paste those here:

That article posted:

Who is this service for? It’s supposedly for people who want to play AAA games but don’t have access to AAA hardware. It’s for people who are into hardcore games but don’t mind an unavoidable baseline of input lag. It’s for people who can’t afford a $400 console but can afford to buy games at full price and pay an additional $120 every single year. It’s for people who have lots of devices who somehow don’t own any dedicated gaming hardware. Most of all, it’s for people who have no memory of OnLive’s failure or who are happy to buy games that will vanish into the ether if the exact same idea fails again.

Stadia is for casual gamers who are into hardcore titles and poor people with lots of disposable income. This is a service for nobody, and it makes no sense.

This is on top of the whole "almost everything Stadia's boasting about is old news" thing. I could see use cases for this for strategy games or other turn-based stuff where having input lag doesn't much matter, but that's not what Stadia wants to do. And that is, of course, overlooking the whole "streaming games is a boondoggle because your access to the things you bought is contingent on Google not getting bored and giving up" angle.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
The modern high-tech homeless person.

For real though, Poor People with Lots of Disposable Income is a good description of a significant part if the town I live in due to several factors best left to another thread.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

iajanus posted:

I sure hope they're playing on the unfunny except to boomers trope of "haha my wife is terrible I'm a DUDE who would be PARTYING and GAMING if it wasn't for THE WIFE" trope. Otherwise that guys marriage is on the rocks and those kids will probably need therapy.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

UnknownTarget posted:

I sure hope they're playing on the unfunny except to boomers trope of "haha my wife is terrible I'm a DUDE who would be PARTYING and GAMING if it wasn't for THE WIFE" trope. Otherwise that guys marriage is on the rocks and those kids will probably need therapy.

That was exactly my hope.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

...! posted:

The next generation of consoles will be the last.

Just keep saying this and eventually you will be right

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

iajanus posted:

Ah, John. You've met my massive-toothed wife?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

...! posted:

Google: let's make our products with recycled plastics to keep plastic waste to a minimum for the sake of the planet.

Consumers: thanks, we hate it.

the controller is non-servicable and if it breaks has to be thrown out and replaced entirely

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Stux posted:

the controller is non-servicable and if it breaks has to be thrown out and replaced entirely

But then they'll just recycle it again. Checkmate, idiot. :smugdog:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

quote:

My girlfriend wasn't as impressed with Stadia as I was because she doesn't care, but my constant "Wooow, whaaaat, I can't believe this is actually happening over airport WiFi" had her saying "Ok, that thing is good, I believe you"

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

LMAO literally like a little kid raving about his toys, while his mom pats him on the head and says "That's nice, honey"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Good to see people out there correctly identifying the stadia community as a band of persecuted-feeling weirdos and trying to gift them for money like one does with flat earthers, colloidal silver cults and bigole fans of JC himself.

emphasis mine.

quote:

r/Stadia Posted by u/joevoss 46 minutes ago
A tragic holiday tale of a Stadia gone too soon....

TL:DR - my brother smashed his basically new Stadia, someone tag some google peeps - tell them to read the story, put him in the next commercial or lets band together and raise $129 for this guy. But...if you have time time...read - it’s pretty funny.

This is a short story of a holiday celebration turned tragedy and the community may be able to help....so my brother and I have been keeping up with Stadia pre-release information and were excited to both grab one since we live about 4 hours apart but enjoy playing together in our down time. Stadia released - we buy, we play, we love it. Fast forward 2 weeks and we are all meeting in Florida at our parents place for Christmas. Since their idea of a good time is 430PM dinners and Jerry Springer re-runs we knew the Stadia’s would be a life saver. Over the three days there we barely survived thanks to the Stadia gaming - how can you live without these things? We are both telling everyone we know to not believe the haters and the trolls and to get on the future train. This is where the story takes a tragic turn. My brother came without his wife last minute. She had the flu, passed out and broke a rib. Then found out she was pregnant. Needless to say, 7 hour car rides were not on her to-do list. Being the good husband that he is he decided to pack up and leave last night to get home to her. Stadia, chrome cast and power supply packed securely in a large bin that is strapped to the top of his 4Runner. He left with a high-five and a “call you when I’m home, be ready to play”. What could be better?? Then the phone call came after 120 miles north on I-95. He heard a noise, saw the car behind him swerve and then that driver caught up and flagged/signaled to him and he realized that his worst fear had come true (not the pregnant wife) - the noise WAS, in fact, the box flying loose from it’s secure place on the roof of the car. The contents? Dirty laundry, two decks of cards, one deck of exploding kittens, one travel scrabble (this guy plays games of all kinds....) and, of course, the Stadia. He went to the next exit, headed back South to retrace his steps and then back North to look for the scene of the incident. He knew he was close when he saw the shattered pieces of the plastic bin and the sheen of 300 playing cards scattered on the highway. He pulled over and braved the pounding rain and darkness and began to search. First the board shorts. Then came the dirty underwear. Finally more pieces of the box and then....the chrome cast. One cover gone, HDMI port smashed. “Could be worse, stay positive, bruh,” is what i was able to tell him while holding back laughter at the thought of seeing someone on the side of the highway with arms full of dirty laundry in the rain. Then the power supply - definitely smashed/run over...RIP. “Press F and move on, bruh,” were my next motivational words. Finally - the crown jewel, the Stadia itself. The mutual excitement grew as he screamed that the case was slightly split/open but no major damage, buttons and joysticks fully operational AND it would power on. At this point, with 6+ hours of driving left to think about what he had done wrong when packing and a sleep-deprived pregnant wife at home alone on Christmas the last thing he could do was investigate further fearing the worst. When he got home he left the Stadia in the center console for morning to come. This morning the Stadia would not power on. “Easy, Elon Musk, just give her some juice,” I said while starting to think that I was doing him a disservice by creating a false sense of hope. Being pretty technically savvy he opened the case to inspect. No real damage - everything looked good. Could it be a dead battery? Anyways...the details that follow are both drawn out and nearly too hard for me to re-live at this point. The Stadia is dead. The chrome cast is useless and the power supply is a shiny, pointed swinging home defense weapon for his gun safe. He’s totally crushed. Like completely. It’s not the money or the waiting for a new one...it’s just that he can’t believe that his lucky socks both survived and the Stadia didn’t. This community seems pretty rad so far - i love the support for the product/users when the trolls come out. Google seems to be fairly active and on top of things. Someone tag the google peeps - I’m wondering if we can work a deal to send this guy a new one. I was going to cast the dearly departed components in resin for him as a memento but I’ll gladly ship them back for some R&D. Or...everyone throw in a buck or two, lets get him a new one. Or...if you’ve read this far, maybe you’ve got a chuckle out of his misfortune and when i tell him “people don’t seem to care. Suck it up and buy a new one asap,” at least i can tell him that his story brought joy during the holiday season to another reddit user.