Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Schwarzwald posted:

I got bad news about the OT series.

I'm way more open to the idea that the OT was never as good as we think it was than I am to the idea that the prequels are secretly great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

it's true that the sequels aren't secretly great, sure

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Prequel fans are the most irritating people on earth

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

sponges posted:

Star Wars fans are the most irritating people on earth

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Prequels fans are good IMHO

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Sinteres posted:

I'm way more open to the idea that the OT was never as good as we think it was than I am to the idea that the prequels are secretly great.

Everything people dislike about the prequels is present in the originals. It's one thing to have an opinion about which ones do certain things better or worse, but the degree of hate the prequels get is way out of proportion to what's actually different about them. Something about this fandom just makes people unhinged about it. I believe it was on these very boards that I really into someone saying they're not movies.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

All the problems in the OT is so much worse in the prequels

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Sinteres posted:

I’m beginning to think that Star Wars fans don’t actually like Star Wars.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

sponges posted:

Prequel fans are the most irritating people on earth

I don't get the hostility

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
If you don't like Star Wars as a kid you have no heart, but if you're not a Star Wars fan as an adult you have no brain.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Bongo Bill posted:

Everything people dislike about the prequels is present in the originals. It's one thing to have an opinion about which ones do certain things better or worse, but the degree of hate the prequels get is way out of proportion to what's actually different about them. Something about this fandom just makes people unhinged about it. I believe it was on these very boards that I really into someone saying they're not movies.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I’m beginning to think that Star Wars fans don’t actually like Star Wars.

I'm not a kid anymore, and can admit that having nostalgia or an attachment to something doesn't mean it was flawless. To the extent that some of the flaws of the prequel trilogy are present in the OT, I don't think it automatically absolves the prequels, particularly since they don't share some of the more positive attributes of the OT. That said, to the extent that some people enjoyed (or even continue to enjoy) the prequels, great! The 'George Lucas destroyed my childhood' people are insane.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Just saw it. Better than I expected, but still not good. The only interesting thing about it is how sloppy the editing is in the first half. It's as if they decided when, where, and what to cut at random. Off the top of my head there's a completely random insert shot of the worm on the Falcon during the chase, a missing establishing shot of the Stormtroopers on the market planet, and some very strange cuts during Rey's training montage. For that first half it felt like Disney was doing the bare minimum it took to make a movie.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!
The fact ROS has made me go back and really appreciate the prequels with a modicum of real respect says a LOT about this "film" that just came out. I'll give the prequels a lot of credit for what they did right now. Granted, I'm not saying they're easy to watch, but I can at least respect them as a star wars fan more now.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Sinteres posted:

I'm not a kid anymore, and can admit that having nostalgia or an attachment to something doesn't mean it was flawless. To the extent that some of the flaws of the prequel trilogy are present in the OT, I don't think it automatically absolves the prequels, particularly since they don't share some of the more positive attributes of the OT. That said, to the extent that some people enjoyed (or even continue to enjoy) the prequels, great! The 'George Lucas destroyed my childhood' people are insane.

Why are you talking in terms of flawlessness and absolution?

People like the prequels because Dexter Jettster is an insanely good character who‘s the locus of an entire intricate narrative that covers an enormous amount of ground, entertainingly, in like three minutes. And it’s literally just a cop walking into a diner and having a chat.

Meanwhile, who gives a poo poo about Unkar Plutt? Remember him? Is he “flawless”? Do we “absolve” him?

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Lol the prequels really do break people's brains.

"I don't like sand" is an example of excellent writing, Lucas was robbed of the Oscar for best screenplay.

:shrek: This dialogue is so realistic.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Guys I want you to know that Chewbacca is apolitical. Rebels, Empire, he seeks the middle path.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The Little Death posted:

Guys I want you to know that Chewbacca is apolitical. Rebels, Empire, he seeks the middle path.

:shrek::shrek::shrek:

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Didn't Chewie attempt to murder his beloved Han's flesh and blood

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I'm not political I just believe family is the most important thing, that doesn't mean I reject ideologies which do not value family

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

The Little Death posted:

The Holiday Special gave him powerful Boomer energy after all.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Just Chamber posted:

"I don't like sand" is an example of excellent writing, Lucas was robbed of the Oscar for best screenplay.

what makes it bad writing?

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

It’s always fun to watch new people experience SMG and slowly either go mad or realize their cinematic illiteracy.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Mameluke posted:

So four years on, can anybody please explain to me how the Force was awakened and what consequences that had?

How gets into some "gently caress only knows" guessing. Maybe it's just some universal cycle like tides or seasons. The consequences idea is more interesting. Remember the opening of The Beverly Hillbillies when Buddy Epson shoots at a raccoon and suddenly oil comes bubbling up? The Force is a bit like that now. It's much closer to the surface, much more potentially accessible.

In times past even those "strong in the Force" needed training before they could actively, consciously create effects like lift things or shoving people. Now, even somebody like the little stable boy slave can use some level of the Force that would certainly have been unavailable. People strong in the Force an do even more untrained - as witness Rey in TFA. And people strong in the Force and well trained can do some truly ridiculous stuff, like Palpatine EMPing the Resistance fleet with Force Lightning.

And in the wake of all this, the Jedi, as an organization, are gone. Rey might start something up, but it'll take a while to get it off the ground. The Sith are also gone. Meanwhile, the Jedi and Sith were the folks who trained people to use and control their powers. The Jedi emphasize suppressing and controlling emotions in favor of calm and clarity. The Sith harnessed and focused emotions, especially negative ones to draw power from them. Darth Vader could snap someone's neck by focusing his power on them.

However, didn't get really angry and the suddenly necks started randomly snapping all around him. He was a trained Sith. He controlled his power.

That's not going to be nearly as much of a thing any more. With the Force awake, more easily accessible and more widespread, dangerous, uncontrolled use of it could cause some serious problems. Somebody gets mad and nukes someone else with Force lightning. Somebody is attracted to someone else and "Jedi mind tricks" them into sex. You could end up with some pretty scary-rear end consequences from the Force awakening.

Gonz posted:

Natalie Portman is a very good actress with an Oscar under her belt and has had many great roles since, but those performances in the prequels felt like she was reading lines off her hands.

A side effect of Lucas’ dialogue, probably, but yeesh.

Natalie Portman was also, what? 15, 18 and 20 when she made the prequels? Nothing substitutes for experience and she didn't have as much back then.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

The Little Death posted:

Wasn't he enslaved by the Empire or was that an EU thing that was retconned out?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Everyone posted:

Natalie Portman was also, what? 15, 18 and 20 when she made the prequels? Nothing substitutes for experience and she didn't have as much back then.

This is true and fair.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Animal-Mother posted:

The pod racing game on N64 was THE poo poo.

true

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Sinteres posted:

That said, to the extent that some people enjoyed (or even continue to enjoy) the prequels, great! The 'George Lucas destroyed my childhood' people are insane.

The absolute most baffling thing about the prequels was the manner in which popular nerdism felt positively aggrieved by them. It seems to me that that vitriol has largely faded over the years, and the broader culture seems to have slowly come to re-evaluate the films, but you do still come across old nerds still carrying the torch and pitchfork.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Chewbacca, as people freak out about Space Hitler returning

"Listen I know he was controversial at times, but at least he kept the hyperspace lanes running on time so I could get home to my family. In their slave camp on Kessel."

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Schwarzwald posted:

The absolute most baffling thing about the prequels was the manner in which popular nerdism felt positively aggrieved by them. It seems to me that that vitriol has largely faded over the years, and the broader culture seems to have slowly come to re-evaluate the films, but you do still come across old nerds still carrying the torch and pitchfork.

I don't think people hated the Phantom Menace at the time, I think the major hatred only started with AotC because it had a big romance plot in it.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

hosed up that the first 5 minutes of the season finale of the Mandalorian was more engaging than like 90% of the sequels and probably 75% of all the Star Wars movies, despite basically being "Lone Wolf & Cub" in space with a cast that's every actor that makes you go "hey, it's that guy!"when they show up in a scene. There's no way Favreau doesn't get a trilogy of his own if he wants it.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
People disliked Phantom Menace due to Jar Jar.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
👏 LISTEN 👏 TO 👏 WOOKIE 👏 VETERANS 👏

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
ARE CLONE TROOPS

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
Emperor Palpatine puts out a call across the Galaxy.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Just Chamber posted:

Actually, the dialog is not realistic.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I like that the greatest anger from the prequels amounts to being absolutely galled that Lucas made a story about how the man who would become Darth Vader was actually a flawed and damaged person instead of an aspirational badass.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Brother Entropy posted:

what makes it bad writing?

If it was framed in a scene where two teenagers are awkwardly flirting in a John Hughes movie it would be fine and a little charming. As it stands Anakin spits out this nonsense and Padme, a 24 year old woman is enraptured by it. Lucas can't capture the two character's romance in their dialogue and as a result they have almost zero chemistry together, and so he tricks the audience by filling the scene with as much romantic elements as possible from the music, to the super cheesy Venice like setting to make up for his inability to write people. We buy the romance not because we've witnessed these two characters form a connection, or because one is incredibly charismatic, charming or seductive, but because Lucas forces their pairing on screen and makes it so by having them kiss while the music swells.

Watching Padme and Anakin scenes just highlights how little that was good about the OT was down to Lucas and how he was clearly not responsible for Han and Leia, two characters we actually see develop a bond over their movies with entertaining, charming and flirty dialogue..

Robotnik Nudes posted:

It’s always fun to watch new people experience SMG and slowly either go mad or realize their cinematic illiteracy.

SMG is his own form of madness and it's charming in a way. Those who worship at his feet are the truly broke brained.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 28, 2019

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

That’s the same kind of blanket moral rejection: Padme shouldn’t fall in love with this guy, right?

But seeing Anakin in pain, coping with PTSD or whatever, is precisely what attracts her to him - to such a degree that they do get married at the end of the film. Whether she should marry Anakin is irrelevant, because she does. They genuinely love eachother, which leads to enormous violence.

I think the operative word is probably wouldn't. I mean you can sell anything but yeesh.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Konstantin posted:

Wasn't he enslaved by the Empire or was that an EU thing that was retconned out?

He's in an Imperial poo poo hole in Solo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

euphronius posted:

It was the effect Lucas was intending as a genre hallmark. He’s said this. Many people have said it. It’s clear 100x. It’s obvious he can get “non flat” performance from actors when he wants to. He intended her to be flat. People growing up with Tarantino don’t expect it or think it’s “right” to have non “naturalistic” readings but cinematic history is vast and “naturalistic” acting is one branch. It’s not right or wrong

Plenty of people have made fun of this already, but -

People write weird performances all the time. No human talks like the people talk in the Nolan Batman movies, in an Aaron Sorkin script, in a Kevin Smith script. There's room to defend those on the merits, though, without just saying "sounding super loving weird all the time is what they were going for."

Also I'm not sure how "I was trying for everyone to act like :geno: all the time" works with McGregor turning in a pretty solid performance throughout.

Anyway, I'm surprised to see AotC get so much love. Rewatching 2 and 3, I was struck by how the climax of 3 pretty much hit the mark and 2 just...sorta flopped around with potentially big impact moments. Like, Obi-Wan finding the army is presented in this very matter-of-fact way that belies the fact that there is some profoundly bad poo poo going on. He finds out someone is using a dead Jedi name to amass an unauthorized army and the reaction of 3 Jedi masters is "hm, that's not good, we'll keep an eye on that." Even when the clone army joins the fight, it's all played for spectacle until Yoda takes a moment to say "war were declared."

Konstantin posted:

Still true. Solo establishes he met Han while being kept as a method of execution. He was chained up in a mud pit and thrown prisoners the Stormtroopers didn't like so he'd tear their arms off.