Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

LastInLine posted:

But don't they have to be somewhere? If you're viewing them in the thread then they have to be on the device and if that's the case, they can be saved.

I wouldn't know, I don't use SMS or MMS much, but I can't think of any other way it can work.

I assume everything, text and images, is saved into a special message thread file.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I assume everything, text and images, is saved into a special message thread file.

Yeah looking into it further it looks like they're shoehorned into the smsmms.db which is in a system location. I guess that makes sense for portability but it does mean that you aren't going to be able to automate that easily.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

fwiw hangouts doesn't put stuff people send you anywhere useful either, just stuff you have sent

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Skarsnik posted:

fwiw hangouts doesn't put stuff people send you anywhere useful either, just stuff you have sent

Actually it did, it sent them to a dedicated folder in Google+ that stopped being accessible about a year prior to G+ going away.

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug
Yeah, you folks got it. They exist somewhere on the phone, I can go thru my text history and get them manually. I'm just looking for a way to save them automatically... she has sent hundreds. Not having much luck with any search I've tried so far. Might as well get clicking.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Perhaps an AutoHotKey script?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The newer Google Photos sharing is awful. Putting them in a chat format is dumb and I can no longer easily save all to my account.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

FogHelmut posted:

The newer Google Photos sharing is awful. Putting them in a chat format is dumb and I can no longer easily save all to my account.

I dont understand this. All you have to do is make sure the backup function is turned on and all your photos are in your account.. maybe im missing something.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

redeyes posted:

I dont understand this. All you have to do is make sure the backup function is turned on and all your photos are in your account.. maybe im missing something.

Someone shares photos with me. I want to save them to my account. I used to be able to press one button to save many photos shared at once. In the new version, this is a complicated process.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

FogHelmut posted:

Someone shares photos with me. I want to save them to my account. I used to be able to press one button to save many photos shared at once. In the new version, this is a complicated process.

Huh? It's exactly the same as before. Someone sends multiple pictures and you hit 'save to library' which is directly below the pictures

It then saves them all to your library unsurprisingly

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Am I stupid or is there no way to download titles for offline viewing on the Prime Video app? I cannot find it for the life of me. The Amazon help page says:

quote:

To download Prime Video titles, open the Prime Video app on your device, and find the title you want to download.

For movies: Select the option to download the title from the detail page.
For TV shows: There is an option download the entire season. To download individual episodes, select the download icon on the list of episodes.

If anybody can tell me what I'm missing, I'd be grateful.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Lester Shy posted:

Am I stupid or is there no way to download titles for offline viewing on the Prime Video app? I cannot find it for the life of me. The Amazon help page says:

If anybody can tell me what I'm missing, I'd be grateful.

Not sure if it's Prime stuff only or not, but the option is there for me.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Hmm, this is what I see.

I wonder what the problem is. I'm in the US, so it shouldn't be any weird rights issues (plus it's like that on every title).

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Weird. In place of downloads you have a Cast option, whereas I have an entirely separate Cast button at the bottom-right. For reference, I'm using version 3.0.261.16341 of the app, Pixel 3a.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Lester Shy posted:

Hmm, this is what I see.

I wonder what the problem is. I'm in the US, so it shouldn't be any weird rights issues (plus it's like that on every title).

If you are part of an Amazon Prime Household only the primary owner can download for offline play https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201910370

quote:

The download option for offline viewing of Prime Video titles is not a shareable benefit

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Ahh, that's it. Lame. I've had Amazon Household set up for years and this is one of the few benefits I've run into that doesn't carry over.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Hi, I trust peeps here more than the average Google result. I just got a Huawei P30 Lite for my birthday. Is rooting advisable? Will it help me with the Google-pocalypse some people tell me is on the horizon? No need to go into detail, just a short answer will do me fine (or a link to an online resource you think is Good).

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
No.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

There is really no reason to root your phone in tyool 2019

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Reminds me of a cheap Samsung I got in 2011 that almost no storage memory and I had to root it to move apps to the sd card as not all of them had the move to sd flag. That required formatting the sd card in 2 or 3 partitions, one of them being a linux one, android sure had some interesting days in the past. I don't really see a use for rooting now though unless you are an android os core developer.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Thanks, that's all I need to know.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Possibly the worst Samsung phone ever. I made the mistake of buying one of these pieces of crap and it was absolutely miserable to use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap9CR1El4n0

Not Android, it ran Samsung Bada 1.0 - it came bundled with a few apps and I could never work out how to add more, if it was even possible to do so.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Vanagoon posted:

Not Android, it ran Samsung Bada 1.0 - it came bundled with a few apps and I could never work out how to add more, if it was even possible to do so.
The apps were java 2 micro edition (j2me) and came in jar and jad files and you could just copy them to the phone from your computer and install them by running them from the file manager. There was no app store. I think the general idea at the time was you'd buy them like you'd buy ringtones, ie. you'd call or sms a code from a list and they'd send you the file. One lovely thing about it was that every app needed to be taylored to every specific phone model, what with wildly varying screen resolutions and ratios and the presence (or not) of a directional keypad or equivalent. You could download megablob torrents of hundreds of random apps. There usually wasn't any copy protection, just the general inaccessibility of the phone's innards at the time. Remember paying $30 for a data cable for your phone and downloading a software suite to backup your sms and phone book into some propietary file format? Those were the days.

e: though this was one of the obsolete tech threads

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
When in Night Mode, AMDroid turns my screen on and goes to the home screen 10 minutes before my alarm is scheduled to go off. The change from dim light to bright light always wakes me up.

Why does it do this and how can I make it stop?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sneeze Party posted:

When in Night Mode, AMDroid turns my screen on and goes to the home screen 10 minutes before my alarm is scheduled to go off. The change from dim light to bright light always wakes me up.

Why does it do this and how can I make it stop?

It's probably the notification triggering it. Reduce the priority of that notification.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

2019 App Of The Year.

How did goons not think to make this app?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

My favorite part of the app is the detailed analysis in the comments on what could make an app about fart telemetry better

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Is there a decent fridge/pantry tracking app that can sync between two people? I would be ok with a cheap one time fee of the app is good enough.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Kheldarn posted:

2019 App Of The Year.

How did goons not think to make this app?

Wasn't the idea of this already done in Letterkenny season 1? The fartbook episode?

To be fairrrrr, they didn't make it an actual app.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

cage-free egghead posted:

Wasn't the idea of this already done in Letterkenny season 1? The fartbook episode?

Life imitates (f)art

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

cage-free egghead posted:

Because Glen stole it for his fart-based dating app.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Ok, seems like Twitter likes showing me tweets from people I don't follow more than tweets from those that I do. Is there any Twitter app that won't junk up my feed with poo poo from people I don't actively follow?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

BisterdDave posted:

Ok, seems like Twitter likes showing me tweets from people I don't follow more than tweets from those that I do. Is there any Twitter app that won't junk up my feed with poo poo from people I don't actively follow?

I would love to know this too, it shows that garbage on the website version too so if any app pulls my "timeline"/"feed" or whatever it's called I suspect it will pull the same poo poo.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

BisterdDave posted:

If you or a family member purchased it before it ran out of Tokens, there's Flamingo (a family member who purchased it can add it to Family Sharing, and then you can use it). If you didn't, that link will be a Not Found link. The other Twitter app I recommend is Fenix 2.

If you care about Twitter Polls, note that because of Twitter being assholes, they disabled access to polls in their API, so no 3rd party client will have them.

I used to use Fenix, until it ran out of tokens and the dev abandoned it for Fenix 2, then I switched to Flamingo. Though it's out of tokens, it still gets occasional updates. I enjoy both.

The only time I see tweets from someone I don't follow is when someone I do follow retweets someone I don't follow.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I apparently own Flamingo, I was willing to shell out for one. How does it compare to Fenix 2?

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Kheldarn posted:

If you or a family member purchased it before it ran out of Tokens, there's Flamingo (a family member who purchased it can add it to Family Sharing, and then you can use it). If you didn't, that link will be a Not Found link. The other Twitter app I recommend is Fenix 2.

If you care about Twitter Polls, note that because of Twitter being assholes, they disabled access to polls in their API, so no 3rd party client will have them.

I used to use Fenix, until it ran out of tokens and the dev abandoned it for Fenix 2, then I switched to Flamingo. Though it's out of tokens, it still gets occasional updates. I enjoy both.

The only time I see tweets from someone I don't follow is when someone I do follow retweets someone I don't follow.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Can anyone actively using Fenix 2 confirm it only shows tweets from followers and nobody else? Or at least much less than usual?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I haven't used Fenix 2 yet, but from what I can see, it has a lot of the same features. The most important thing to me was the ability to mute users and #tags, and both apps can do that.

Oh, one other issue I forgot about: Almost every 3rd party client for Android used Tweetmarker to let you synch across mutliple devices. Tweetmarker shut down this past summer, and I've yet to see anything show up to replace it, so if you have multiple devices (phone, tablet, Chromebook?), each one will have to be manually synched. I'll read tweets on my phone at break, then when I go to lunch, catch up, then open my tablet, and tap the number showing how many new tweets since I last used the app to bring it up to date. Then I'll use my tablet until I go to bed, when I'll catch my phone up in preperation for work the next day.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Twitter app: tap on the 3 stars at the top, to the right of where it says Home. It'll ask if you want to switch to latest tweets first. This keeps your timeline chronological and does not show you tweets others liked etc.

It resets every time the app updates, but it is an easy switch at least.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

effika posted:

Twitter app: tap on the 3 stars at the top, to the right of where it says Home. It'll ask if you want to switch to latest tweets first. This keeps your timeline chronological and does not show you tweets others liked etc.

It resets every time the app updates, but it is an easy switch at least.

Thanks for the tip. Less tweets from those that I don't follow, but now half my feed is ads somehow. Guess I can't win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

BisterdDave posted:

Can anyone actively using Fenix 2 confirm it only shows tweets from followers and nobody else?

I use Fenix 2 and have never seen a tweet (or retweet) by anyone I'm not following.