Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Ghost Who Fucks

the virgin Phantom and the chad Phantom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Farm Frenzy posted:

...something thats just really straightforward genre poo poo instead of fully post-postmodern

I think that's what I liked about The Mandalorian too. It's been bugging me that I couldn't place what it was that made it scratch a specific itch, thanks for putting it into words!

It's a really competently made piece of entertainment whose producers looked at what they had to work with, weighed "make a solid down the middle product" in one hand, weighed "go Dan Harmon with a deconstruction of what Star Wars and an action serials can be" and realized Disney wouldn't have hired them in the first place if they were clever, so they went for the prior and killed it.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

mysterious frankie posted:

I think that's what I liked about The Mandalorian too. It's been bugging me that I couldn't place what it was that made it scratch a specific itch, thanks for putting it into words!

It's a really competently made piece of entertainment whose producers looked at what they had to work with, weighed "make a solid down the middle product" in one hand, weighed "go Dan Harmon with a deconstruction of what Star Wars and an action serials can be" and realized Disney wouldn't have hired them in the first place if they were clever, so they went for the prior and killed it.

MICKEY: *slaps your face lightly with a cupped hand* huh huh kid, you're not smart & you don't make waves, huh huh. that might bother other executives, and that's why they come to me, crawling on their hands and knees, begging me for just a glimpse of my success, huh huh. because I know what the people want. they want steady, droning mediocrity huh huh. something that reminds them of their own life, but with more pew-pews and princesses. I know that, even if the people don't, huh huh, and I make it happen for them. by hiring workmanlike little cretins like you to make workmanlike, cretinous globs of light and sound so existentially uniform that they might as well be squeezed from a tube you'd find at the grocery, right between the deviled ham and tinned goldurn wieners... huh huh.

Lost my train of thought there... anyways, you're on the space guy project. What's it called, Alfonse?

ALFONSE: *opens folder and scans first page before leaning in to speak from behind Micky into his giant right ear* The Mandalorian, sir.

MICKEY: huh huh, right right. Mandalorian. Lasers, helmets, one of those green hairless rat men things. Farmers frickin' pate. Anyways, it's your baby now. Try not to drown it, huh huh

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Pregaming with a blunt and some friends (incl foobardog) before we go watch CATS lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm watching The Green Zone again and I'm wondering how this movie ever managed to get made?

You've got the US lying about WMDs, Greg Kinnear's Clark Poundstone character as a stand-in for Paul Bremer, an Ahmed Chalabi-type character, and the movie basically ends with de-Baathification and a clear-as-day warning that disarming the Iraqi military would trigger a wave of insurgency as tens of thousands of former Iraqi soldiers scatter to the wind after the US rejects a deal with an Iraqi general.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

last episode of the Mandalorian was good and fun

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm watching The Green Zone again and I'm wondering how this movie ever managed to get made?

You've got the US lying about WMDs, Greg Kinnear's Clark Poundstone character as a stand-in for Paul Bremer, an Ahmed Chalabi-type character, and the movie basically ends with de-Baathification and a clear-as-day warning that disarming the Iraqi military would trigger a wave of insurgency as tens of thousands of former Iraqi soldiers scatter to the wind after the US rejects a deal with an Iraqi general.

nobody watched it

mostly because it was entirely factually correct

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Pregaming with a blunt and some friends (incl foobardog) before we go watch CATS lol

goonspeed

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

gradenko_2000 posted:

The movie ends with Matt Damon's character putting faith in the American press to expose the truth about Iraq.

That's the main thing I remember about it.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

green zone got pitched during the post election 2007 sweet spot where the whole country agreed that bush was so awful democrats managed to take back congress even though they didnt actually promise to do anything the way matt damons character is a noble troop fighting for the truth guaranteed involvement from the pentagon since they had no interest in pretending like bushes ghouls were competent at that point

by the time the movie actually got released in 2010 we were in a very different cultural moment where the tea party had effectively rebranded conservatism as antibush a moment that didnt really end until trump was elected and bush completed his rehabilitation cycle from war criminal to conservative embarassment to distnguished elder statesman

id never even heard of the movie when it first came out and only caught it on cable relatively recently extremely easy to see why the marketing was low energy and why the same critics who furiously jacked off to zero dark thirty would have found green zones suggestions that maybe not literally every single american involved in promoting a war is a morally conflicted hero to be deeply offensive antipatriotic moralizing

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

It actually enjoyed it, or at least thought it was ok. I think they made some weird decisions about adapting it (basically the whole use of CG), but I can't honestly blame the actors or the CG artists, they were passable at worst, and often delightful though definitely hamming it up. The dancing is nice enough to my unknowing eyes, but nothing stupendous, except for the attempt to mix feline behavior into it (which, yeah, creepy, but they nail it). I actually loved the set design.

I think the musical is just bad. Like everyone says there's no real plot, it's just they introduce a cat, sing a song about that cat, and then Idris Elba makes them disappear. Then when they run out of cats to introduce, they move to the barest of drama that is immediately resolved by the end of the next song, wrap up the plot, and then just teeters off, unsure how to finish. Like they just let Judi Dench sing to the camera for a while as a finale. I went in knowing three motifs, and I came back out with the same three motifs, there wasn't a single other song to stick in your brain.

I honestly recommend seeing it on a big screen just to see all the work that went into the CG, but the sound and orchestration didn't do anything interesting with the theater speakers, so that's the only benefit. Once it's in a small screen, it's just going to be forgettable. I do think I'd rather watch this than the original musical, because hey, uncanny valley is a gimmick.

I think a lot of movie reviewers just weren't ready to admit they're furries. :colbert:

In conclusion, dismantle capitalism.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Thing is furries don't actually like the movie since for the most part the aesthetic is the total opposite of what furries actually like.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Thing is furries don't actually like the movie since for the most part the aesthetic is the total opposite of what furries actually like.

This is true, they went with basically anime catgirls with fur all over, which no one likes. The only defense I can give is that the facial acting was pretty good, and making those more animalistic may have ruined that.

But if you thought you were a normie but felt weird about seeing good looking people with fur, well...

foobardog has issued a correction as of 10:18 on Dec 28, 2019

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The only direction that Star Wars can go without redoing the original trilogy again is to deconstruct the Jedi/Sith binary and open up the universe to a morally complex dichotomy that you can actually do interesting things with.

But that's not gonna happen.

Name one media franchise that's gone to total poo poo that's ever come back from it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

VideoTapir posted:

Name one media franchise that's gone to total poo poo that's ever come back from it.

X-COM?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

VideoTapir posted:

90s batman to nolan's* batman

*I have never seen a batman movie and would probably prefer the campy ones to nolan

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

after mandalorian were guaranteed a few more years of weird flailing from disney trying to make EU kinda stuff

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

foobardog posted:

It actually enjoyed it, or at least thought it was ok. I think they made some weird decisions about adapting it (basically the whole use of CG), but I can't honestly blame the actors or the CG artists, they were passable at worst, and often delightful though definitely hamming it up. The dancing is nice enough to my unknowing eyes, but nothing stupendous, except for the attempt to mix feline behavior into it (which, yeah, creepy, but they nail it). I actually loved the set design.

I think the musical is just bad. Like everyone says there's no real plot, it's just they introduce a cat, sing a song about that cat, and then Idris Elba makes them disappear. Then when they run out of cats to introduce, they move to the barest of drama that is immediately resolved by the end of the next song, wrap up the plot, and then just teeters off, unsure how to finish. Like they just let Judi Dench sing to the camera for a while as a finale. I went in knowing three motifs, and I came back out with the same three motifs, there wasn't a single other song to stick in your brain.

I honestly recommend seeing it on a big screen just to see all the work that went into the CG, but the sound and orchestration didn't do anything interesting with the theater speakers, so that's the only benefit. Once it's in a small screen, it's just going to be forgettable. I do think I'd rather watch this than the original musical, because hey, uncanny valley is a gimmick.

I think a lot of movie reviewers just weren't ready to admit they're furries. :colbert:

In conclusion, dismantle capitalism.

I watched a few clips of the original stage show that are on the CATS youtube page, and there's definitely a lot that gets lost in translation. I'd even say they somehow made the film adaptation less campy, less gay, less fabulous. They filled in bits to flesh out characters like making Mr. Mistoffeles a loser who lacks confidence in his own magic, which are downgrades from the original, but they don't use that extra time to flesh out the plot or other more important characters. Like, why does Macavity even want to be the Jellical choice? We don't even really get the main motivation of the antagonist. How is he even getting close to all these cats to make them disappear? Don't they all know what he looks like? What does it even mean for other cats like Grizabella to join up with Macavity, and why would he kick her to the curb? A lot of this doesn't add up at all, and they wasted the time they had doing bit gags instead of filling in the blanks.

They don't even put any effort into identifying some of the most important cats. I was waiting for the grey cat to have his own number since he's Victoria's tour guide, and by the time he starts singing the intro to Skimbleshanks's number I'm like oh this guy must've been Skimbleshanks. But then Skimbleshanks shows up and I'm like who the gently caress is this guy? Who was that guy? What the Hell is going on? Taylor Swift shows up to mass catnip the Jellical ball and I don't think they ever even gave her name. She's supposed to be top billing and I have to google up the cast list to see she's playing "Bombalurina." Ok then. In the original stage show Macavity's song is performed by Mungojerrie and (ugh) Rumpleteazer, so they squeezed in Taylor Swift just to have star power for a role that has zero characterization compared to two others who have their own whole number.

I'm only just barely scratching the surface of everything that's wrong with this movie. There's so many baffling, absurdly bad choices. Letting all the performers keep their faces without the stage makeup that made the original performers actually look like cats was such a massive mistake. It looks like Clutch Cargo but with nose and eyes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MHg1-mpcUY

It's so bad. It sucks. Everyone should see it.

e: I guess I better balance this out with a compliment. Um. Francesca Hayward is insanely hot, and her ballet really stands out because she's the only one doing any while everyone else is doing interpretive dance at their own pacing. The most sexual moment in the movie is when she lifts up her foot for Rum Tum Tugger to speak into like a mic, and Jason DeRulo leans in like he's about to start sucking them toes. That's really it.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 10:43 on Dec 28, 2019

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

VideoTapir posted:

Gundam.

Um.

Walking Dead turns into a poo poo show but later seasons are pretty good, or at least a lot better.

Uh.

Batman is already taken.

Spiderman.

It's not exactly impossible for long running franchises to turn things around, especially when they're massive money makers like Star Wars. It just takes producers with enough balls to recognize that they're too risk averse to let it breathe and allow the showrunners to do something interesting. Fans can gripe and complain about Rian Johnson all they like, but they all came back for Rise of Skywalker anyway because they're all disgusting little pay pigs who are starving for some slop. They'll eat trash and gourmet either way, but what will give people franchise fatigue is when you keep doing the same thing but bigger as if that will enhance the spectacle.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

i say swears online posted:

90s batman to nolan's* batman

*I have never seen a batman movie and would probably prefer the campy ones to nolan

I wasn't sure if that was the only significant non-print batman media at the time, but yeah, Batman and Robin was in the middle of a relative Batman drought.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Relative, though. Batman's just found different ways to be popular.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
Can we talk about decent youtubers in this thread? The internet critic thread in RGD sucks rear end.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Equeen posted:

Can we talk about decent youtubers in this thread? The internet critic thread in RGD sucks rear end.

just dont mention whichever one everyone is currently angry at

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Farm Frenzy posted:

just dont mention whichever one everyone is currently angry at

does that leave literally any of them

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hHdoOxs_LQ

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Farm Frenzy posted:

after mandalorian were guaranteed a few more years of weird flailing from disney trying to make EU kinda stuff

A Disney European Union, you say?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Farm Frenzy posted:

but they burned the sacred jedi texts

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

A Disney European Union, you say?

*exit

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

But don’t you want to stay to see which of the remaining super white countries turns into the deranged but tragic villain driven to madness by too many brown refugees eating all their licorice bream, or whatever?

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

VideoTapir posted:

but they burned the sacred jedi texts

not the ones that were secretly taken by Cummo Poopo, the secret jedi master who helped luke hide

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

While not European myself I enjoy my licorice bream in the traditional fashion; perched upon a substrate of stiffened bechamel and covered in capers.

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Farm Frenzy posted:

disney mook paging through wookiepedia trying to find another EU story with a weird gremlin side character they can use and eventually finding out about hutt jedi

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

after some thought, I have decided that rise of skywalker is the xenogears disc 2 of star wars

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Xenogears disc 2 had thematic weight

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SpaceGoku posted:

disney mook paging through wookiepedia trying to find another EU story with a weird gremlin side character they can use and eventually finding out about hutt jedi

hopefully they don't run into the long detailed articles on breasts

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

VideoTapir posted:

Alien.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Equeen posted:

That thread is fun as gently caress to stir poo poo in though, they’re all down to get mad at each other over literally anything

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

We’re waiting to see CATS! now and so far the majority of the audience is confused looking pairs of visibly stoned young scruffy white men, and a yuppie bird lady lady with her two girls. Should be a trip.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

I showed up with a girl so I’m the coolest guy here, hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I showed up with a girl so I’m the coolest guy here, hell yeah

Nice