Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Onmi posted:

Ah, the Bendis method for witty dialog

Bendis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

You know, Bendis, the Comic Writer.

EDIT: I just realized that people genuinely don't know and you're not doing a bit.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Dec 28, 2019

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Onmi posted:

you're not doing a bit.

I was

:negative:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Sorry, couldn't be too sure.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Most people are entirely unfamiliar with comics as actually written, and for good reason.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Bad movies come and go all the time, and nobody pays much attention.

Then how did Endgame happen?!?

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Just Chamber posted:

Han saying I know isn't Han being an rear end in a top hat. Throughout that movie he's trying to determine her feelings for him and she's elusive, when she declares her love for him she already knows well enough how he feels about her, she wants him to know that she loves him also. She doesn't need an "I love you too" back.

Also, Leia does the same poo poo. She kisses a dude without asking for consent just to be a passive aggressive dick to Han. Not exactly a saintly courtship.

The whole point is that despite being so different, they are very similar. Both demand respect they feel they aren't getting, and both want to be appreciated for who they are instead of the label they are assigned. This is why Han snipes at her with Your Highness as long as she keeps insisting he is a lowlife, and why their kiss comes in a scene where Han drops it and she admits he is more than just a scoundrel.

At the end, Han says 'I know' because that's who he is, and he is not going to hide it from the woman he loves. He doesn't need to tell her he loves her, she knows too.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Gonz posted:

Koyaanisqatsi........but Star Wars.

Make me the Star Wars Head Coach. I’ll make it happen.

So Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

ruddiger posted:

If that line was said in the sequel trilogy it would be repeated back and forth a few times followed by a very witty pun.

“I don’t like sand.”
“You don’t like sand?”
“Don’t like sand.”
“Can you believe this? He doesn’t like sand!”

And so on, for like five minutes.

Make them mobsters and it sounds like a scorsese scene

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES

ruddiger posted:

“I don’t like sand.”
“You don’t like sand?”
“Don’t like sand.”
“Can you believe this? He doesn’t like sand!”

And so on, for like five minutes.

this is very Seinfeld, which I guess is appropriate since the sequel trilogy ends up doing nothing

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
There's a lot of nothing in space.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Episode 2 is a comedy, and one of the many jokes is that Obiwan doesn’t care about the clone army. He takes a tour of the facility and pretends to be interested in order to get closer to Jango Fett.

Keep in mind that the clones are not actually revealed to be ‘evil’ until Episode 3. In the context of Episode 2, the cloning facility is simply the place where Jango works.

As for being ‘unauthorized’, the creation of the clone army was actually fully authorized by The Senate. “Sifo Dyas”, to the extent that such a person ever existed, was acting as a liaison between The Senate and the ‘Cloners’. Nothing technically illegal was going on.

The other big joke is that Yoda pretends to have known about the Senate’s secret project all along, because otherwise he’d look like an idiot.

You're a bit sloppy here - usually your interpretations are least line up with the obvious beats of a movie, but this is just...wrong.

AotC ends with a wide shot of the Clone Army with the empire's theme playing over it. It's the most basic "evil" cue these movies have. We're supposed to know almost right away that the Clone Army represents something super bad.

Dyas started the creation of the army well before AotC (maybe more than a decade ago, since the Kamino PM doesn't seem too off put by being told he'd been dead for nearly that long) - and Palpatine doesn't green light it until getting emergency powers during the movie. Raising an army before one is authorized sounds...illegal? At the very least it should be more concerning. "Hey we have this army just sitting around at the perfect moment someone is pushing for creation of an army" should set off alarm bells with any number of characters, but instead everyone is just like "oh that's weird, welp, time to go fight a war at the behest of the guy with emergency powers."

Of course, if your position is that everyone being spectacularly stupid makes Episode 2 a lowkey comedy...well, I got nothin. I'd call it shoddy scripting but now we're into SMG argument mode.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

Jar Jar Binks is a hero.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I figure it's more that having a ready-made completely disposable army at their command solves a lot of the problems with pressure against the Republic going to war- after all, it's not like anyone that you care about is going to die when the army is all clones and anonymous orphans, right? Especially against an army of almost entirely droids. While he does control both sides, Palpatine's obvious preference is for the Republic to win, and immediately set about conquest with a veteran army, experienced officer cadre and a casus belli for annihilating anyone who even looks like a threat after the unprovoked assault by the Seperatists and all.

Also just realising the closest historical analogue to the Jedi are the Janissaries, especially as a powerful, uniquely skilled elite cadre of soldiers who became a threat to the ruling classes and were subsequently liquidated.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

If they could include an Ewok cameo, they could have included a scene on Naboo with the Gungans, that's all I'm saying.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

pospysyl posted:

If they could include an Ewok cameo, they could have included a scene on Naboo with the Gungans, that's all I'm saying.

:hai:

where’s my interspecies Gungan kiss scene JJ, you coward.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Schwarzwald posted:

The absolute most baffling thing about the prequels was the manner in which popular nerdism felt positively aggrieved by them.

seems a safe bet that like 10% of those people actually felt that way and the other 90% just want to be have Cool Nerd Cred and parrot the same vague shallow criticisms ad nauseam

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

pospysyl posted:

"Wesa free again!"

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

ruddiger posted:

:hai:

where’s my interspecies Gungan kiss scene JJ, you coward.

We’ll always have The Clone Wars at least

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

pospysyl posted:

I'm pretty sure one of the Special Editions from the 90s or so of the original trilogy included a scene from Return of the Jedi with an elderly Jar-Jar cheering the Rebel victory. I recall it as being panned and hated because Jar-Jar was pretty widely panned and hated. Which is why no Jar-Jar/Gunguns in RoS. Consider the picture below from a thread featuring Celebrity versions of The Crossed. Note that this link has Spoilers for the comic, Crossed.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I feel like it would be smart for them to use the Star Wars comics Marvel puts out as a content farm like they use comics for the Marvel movies. If a particular story or concept resonates with people in comic book form, throw it on the screen. You lose the big shocking twist element to some extent, but people already having read multiple Infinity Gauntlet stories clearly didn't stop people from watching the Avengers movies. It doesn't help that the main Star Wars title has been focused on the time between OT movies, since Disney probably isn't ready to recast those versions of the characters yet (though I think it will happen eventually), but they could always do a Vader movie, and having people's reactions to the story in the comic version helps to avoid the 'they loving ruined Vader' risk if they already know people thought it was good.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Are we still rewritting the ST?

My rewrite has Force Dogs as a plot point.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Everyone posted:

I'm pretty sure one of the Special Editions from the 90s or so of the original trilogy included a scene from Return of the Jedi with an elderly Jar-Jar cheering the Rebel victory. I recall it as being panned and hated because Jar-Jar was pretty widely panned and hated. Which is why no Jar-Jar/Gunguns in RoS. Consider the picture below from a thread featuring Celebrity versions of The Crossed. Note that this link has Spoilers for the comic, Crossed.

lol

jar jar broke peoples brains

also imho, lucas' most evil and psychopathic act was to sell star wars to disney

Wild Horses fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Dec 28, 2019

mmmmalo
Mar 30, 2018

Hello!

Just Chamber posted:

Lol the prequels really do break people's brains.

"I don't like sand" is an example of excellent writing, Lucas was robbed of the Oscar for best screenplay.

:shrek: This dialogue is so realistic.

Not "realistic" per se but I read a post discussing that scene through the lens of sand as a symbol of poverty:
http://prequelsredeemed.blogspot.com/2014/11/where-to-start.html

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

boo bendis

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.

mmmmalo posted:

Not "realistic" per se but I read a post discussing that scene through the lens of sand as a symbol of poverty:
http://prequelsredeemed.blogspot.com/2014/11/where-to-start.html

I honestly never understood why people hated that line. It seemed out of place in the screenplay at first glance. However, it makes sense for Anakin to dislike sand since he grew up a slave on some desert backwater, as opposed to padme who associates it with summer beach trips.

I like where Lucas was going with it, but it lacked in polish and in the execution, as was the case with most of the prequel flaws.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I like that Peter Serafinowicz was so clueless that he took Lucas’ direction of “just use your natural voice” as “he wouldn’t direct me on my lines” not realizing his natural English accent and cadence sounds plenty evil enough.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

dex_sda posted:

Yeah for all the flak I tend to throw Bioware's way (I think they always were a little hacky and it just became apparent in recent years), the decision to place KOTOR where they did was smart, and it was a decent plot. It's probably their only game except for BG2 I really like.

Bioware isn't bioware anymore. They lost most of their staff in the early 2010s to standard EA cost cutting schedule accelerating policies.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

way behind here but one thing that stands out to me in AOTC is how much more I buy the Anakin/Padme romance as an adult. as a teen I thought it was bizarre and stilted and couldn’t comprehend why Padme would fall for this weird goober.

as an adult with perspective on what a weird goober I was as a teen and how stilted and awkward but inexplicably passionate my (and I imagine everybody’s) high school romances were its like “oh, yeah. that is what two repressed teenagers with raging hormones falling in love looks like” it feels spot on in the most uncomfortable cringey way

it makes me wonder how many grown ups who think it’s bad either never hosed growing up or have not engaged in any introspection about themselves and their own youth

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Boxman posted:

You're a bit sloppy here - usually your interpretations are least line up with the obvious beats of a movie, but this is just...wrong.

AotC ends with a wide shot of the Clone Army with the empire's theme playing over it. It's the most basic "evil" cue these movies have. We're supposed to know almost right away that the Clone Army represents something super bad.

Dyas started the creation of the army well before AotC (maybe more than a decade ago, since the Kamino PM doesn't seem too off put by being told he'd been dead for nearly that long) - and Palpatine doesn't green light it until getting emergency powers during the movie. Raising an army before one is authorized sounds...illegal? At the very least it should be more concerning. "Hey we have this army just sitting around at the perfect moment someone is pushing for creation of an army" should set off alarm bells with any number of characters, but instead everyone is just like "oh that's weird, welp, time to go fight a war at the behest of the guy with emergency powers."

Of course, if your position is that everyone being spectacularly stupid makes Episode 2 a lowkey comedy...well, I got nothin. I'd call it shoddy scripting but now we're into SMG argument mode.

The film is actually extremely clear on what the Jedi believe.

The Jedi do not believe the Kaminoans and their army are linked to the Seperatists:

“Do you think these cloners
are involved in the plot to assassinate Senator Amidala?”
“No, Master. There appears to be no motive.”

So what are the Kaminoans doing?

“They say Master Sifo-Dyas placed an order for a clone army, at the request of the senate almost ten years ago.”

That is all, officially, fact. The clone army was a classified weapons project “requested” by the Republic government shortly after the events of Episode 1. Sifo-Dyas was put in charge of the project.

The language here (“requested”, etc.) implies that The Republic remained very hands-off in order to keep the project a secret. As far as the Republic is concerned, it’s a Jedi project done under Jedi oversight.

When the Jedi complain that the army wasn’t authorized, they mean that Sifo-Dyas was not authorized by them to act as a liaison:

“Whoever placed that order did not have the authorization of the Jedi Council.”

Again, Episode 2 is a comedy. The joke here is that Yoda was supposed to be in charge of the clone army for the last ten years, but Sifo-Dyas’s death apparently resulted in a massive bureaucratic error. Now, if Yoda admits that he had no idea about the army, he’ll look like an idiot. So he just goes along with it.

“Ah yes - knew about it all along, I did. Totally on top of things, I am.”

Yoda is uncomfortable with starting a war, of course, but does it anyway because he feels it’s necessary. Yoda doesn’t believe the army is evil. He just thinks that it’s sad that a war is happening.

As for Palpatine making the army legal after the fact, that’s akin to making a product and then waiting for FDA approval before releasing it. Happens all the time.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 28, 2019

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Mandrel posted:

it makes me wonder how many grown ups who think it’s bad either never hosed growing up or have not engaged in any introspection about themselves and their own youth

This is next level man. My mind is reeling.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:

Guilty posted:

It's really deserved. Very few action films can build up action and romance simultaneously. Just like very few romance films can also build up action plausibly. The only one off the top of my head is Gattaca

Another bad romance offender in 2000s films is Lord of the Rings. Sucked the life out of The Two Towers. Even worse because the books had a much more interesting romantic relationship that was totally excluded.

LinYutang fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 28, 2019

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Mandrel posted:

way behind here but one thing that stands out to me in AOTC is how much more I buy the Anakin/Padme romance as an adult. as a teen I thought it was bizarre and stilted and couldn’t comprehend why Padme would fall for this weird goober.

That's a fair reading. But you still want to skip over the whole frolicking in the meadow scene in AotC, it kills the pacing and you get a better movie without it.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

mllaneza posted:

That's a fair reading. But you still want to skip over the whole frolicking in the meadow scene in AotC, it kills the pacing and you get a better movie without it.

yeah I think AOTC is the worst of the original 6 by far and I’m certainly not defending its pacing. it’s the only one I don’t really enjoy rewatching

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Teenage edgelord anakin is still less annoying than snotty kid anakin, so phantom menace is worse than attack of the clones.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

getting around to watching TCW and this Cad Bane guy I’ve heard so much about kind of sucks rear end at his job

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I wish we lived in a universe where somehow Adam Driver played Anakin in a prequel series with better dialogue.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Spacebump posted:

I wish we lived in a universe where somehow Adam Driver played Anakin

holy poo poo

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

didn’t we basically just get that

minus the better dialogue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Wild Horses posted:

lol

jar jar broke peoples brains

also imho, lucas' most evil and psychopathic act was to sell star wars to disney

We got mandalorian out of it

I’m happy