Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I think I've decided to get a phone with 120hz display, solely to have one running at a refresh rate that's cleanly divisible through 24fps, for movie watching. Also, back to a bigger screen, considering how much I tend to do it over at work lately.

--edit:
Also one without an Exynos modem. I think I had the epiphany about that one. The two Samsung smartphones I had liked to eat battery like a motherfucker when the cell signal was mediocre to terrible. I don't remember any of my non-Samsung phones doing that ever.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Dec 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CLAM DOWN posted:

They said they performed a factory reset so I'm not sure whether or not it has encryption matters for this scenario. As said it's not technically impossible but so incredibly unlikely, I'd check with your bank because something else probably happened.

If it was secured in his pocket this never would have happened.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
So is there really no way to remove a device from my account? I sold my Pixel 2, but never removed it before it was factory reset. Apparently that was my only chance to do it according to Google support forums. That's pretty dumb.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

So is there really no way to remove a device from my account? I sold my Pixel 2, but never removed it before it was factory reset. Apparently that was my only chance to do it according to Google support forums. That's pretty dumb.

You can sign out of them from:
https://myaccount.google.com/device-activity?pli=1

I don't know if it goes away after a while but maybe?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

When an Android phone is factory reset, is any of the previous data recoverable? Reason I ask is that I factory reset and sent my old phone back to Google, and got a replacement under warranty, shortly after that my bank caught a $700 payment to some rando.

Thanks all, just checking out of curiosity to see if this could be ruled out. The old phone was a Moto X4.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/12/28/pixel-4a-xl-rumors-leaks-renders/

I have a strong feeling that the 4a is going to be the default phone recommendation for all of 2020. Great size, no notch, headphone jack, great camera, rear fingerprint sensor, and (finally!) no huge bezels on a Pixel.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

LastInLine posted:

It's now per-source, so if you try to install an app downloaded from, say, Chrome, it will pop a message asking if Chrome is allowed to install apps. Same with a file explorer or however else you come across whatever it is.

Amazing. I definitely used this toggle a couple months ago, and haven't received any updates since Dec 2018, and still somehow they managed to take it away

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

FistEnergy posted:

I have a strong feeling that the 4a is going to be the default phone recommendation for all of 2020. Great size, no notch, headphone jack, great camera, rear fingerprint sensor, and (finally!) no huge bezels on a Pixel.

I dunno about left justified hole punch. It seems to fly in the face of a lot of google's established design.

Maybe that's a design compromise due to the back camera hardware being on the other side, but a central punch (if it has to have one) seems like a better choice.

Personally, I don't think the bezels are thin enough to justify going hole punch. Just make the top bezel slightly thicker and put the camera in there.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Spicy hot take: The headphone jack is a thing of the past and it's not remotely a plus in a phone these days. Time to move on.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
I agree and I don't care about it, but a lot of people do and I think it still matters a little at low/mid pricepoints where the cost of dongles and Bluetooth devices is a bigger pinch for consumers

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Corded earbuds work better for me day to day and I USB-C ones cost triple what I'd pay for ones with a 3.5mm plug.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

FistEnergy posted:

That looks nice.

quote:

One of our audience's most anticipated smartphones of 2020 may come from, of all places, Google.

Am I daft or does "of all places", make it sound like they're surprised that the audience of an Android fan site would be highly anticipating a phone from Google? I mean..yeah, duh.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

You could argue the past couple of pixel cycles haven't had the same level of hype on AP as say Samsung has. I can't prove that to be true but you can make the argument.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Galaxy Buds work well for me in plenty of settings. Probably helps that it comes with a better codec than SBC, and also tries to maximize available bandwidth for encoding. At least when in conjunction with a Samsung phone.

But anything sports related, and some blue collar work things, I still prefer wired.

Uthor posted:

Corded earbuds work better for me day to day and I USB-C ones cost triple what I'd pay for ones with a 3.5mm plug.
There's still this digital vs. analog USB-C audio crap to deal with. And the USB-C port also seems to wear faster than a headphone jack would.

--edit:
There's ostensibly no Bixby button on the Galaxy S10 Lite, per some leaked manual. Was this always the case with the cheaper Samsung models?

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 28, 2019

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

What's really nice is, the supposed SOCs the P4a may use are kind of on par with the P2XL's SOC so I won't lose much performance when switching.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Thermopyle posted:

Am I daft or does "of all places", make it sound like they're surprised that the audience of an Android fan site would be highly anticipating a phone from Google? I mean..yeah, duh.

I think AP (maybe Ars?) reviewed the Pixel 4 as a 'throw poo poo at the wall' phone - half-baked gestures, removed fingerprint sensor for half-baked face-unlock, teeny-tiny battery, zero free Photos storage, no ultrawide selfie lens (promoted in the P3), etc - so I guess they're surprised that Google are maybe making a more reasonable, conventional phone for the 'a' model.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Thermopyle posted:

That looks nice.

Let's be honest here; updates and camera algorithms aside, Google doesn't have the best value-for-money compared to the rest of the field.
TO BE CLEAR: they're not bad, they're good phones. But Samsung/Moto/Honor and the rest make fewer compromises on everything else (screen, battery, internals, etc.) while still being price competitive.

If accurate, the 4a looks like a great competitor to Samsung's A series though.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 28, 2019

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

FistEnergy posted:

With the size and the fingerprint sensor, I feel like I should pick this up as it will be one of the last (Google) phones that ticks the boxes for me.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Mister Facetious posted:

Let's be honest here; updates and camera algorithms aside, Google doesn't have the best value-for-money compared to the rest of the field.
TO BE CLEAR: they're not bad, they're good phones. But Samsung/Moto/Honor and the rest make fewer compromises on everything else (screen, battery, internals, etc.) while still being price competitive.

If accurate, the 4a looks like a great competitor to Samsung's A series though.

Yeah, my claim wasn't "well duh, it's because PIXELS ARE THE BEST MAN", it was "well duh, android fanboys are mostly pixel fanboys".

edit: Though, to address your point, best value-for-money is entirely dependent upon the weight each person gives to various features of a phone. The 3a and 3aXL is easily the best value-for-money Android phone for me because of the things I value.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

If there was one thing I could change about the Pixel 5 vs the Pixel 4 (beyond normal hardware upgrades) is to decrease the radius of the corner curve on the display. It's too gradual and has too many aesthetic compromises as a result. It's little things. The sliver of a nav bar with the gesture nav stars curving in before you hit the blacked out area. When you pull up the app drawer, the corners of the app drawer pane do not match up with the corners of the display. When watching scope movies and zooming in to decrease the top and bottom letterboxing, you get intrusion into the content area and get a little bit of cropping on the edges.

The corners of the Note 10+ (curved glass not withstanding) are just about right in that regard. The Pixel 5 could stand to be a little more squared off.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

spincube posted:

no ultrawide selfie lens

The single selfie lens in the P4 actually is a wide angle one.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

The single selfie lens in the P4 actually is a wide angle one.

still narrower than the pixel 3's.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I got Galaxy Buds for Christmas and love them, but yeah, loooooads of people still use standard headphones, it's a nice plus for the midtier phones meant to appeal to as many people as possible.

I never picked up a Pixel 3a to dick around with, and my current phone will be over a year old the time the 4a drops, maybe I'll finally try owning a Pixel*. I miss having a smaller phone.

*If the battery on the non-XL is good.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

sleepwalkers posted:

still narrower than the pixel 3's.

It's a little narrower than the P3 wide angle yes, but much wider than the other one as well as typical selfie cameras. It's good. I've taken a bunch of selfies with it since getting my 4XL and am very pleased at the wideangle-ness of it

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Does anyone know how to disable the quick setting pull down while the phone is locked? This is for a s10e on Android 10. A quick search showed ways to do it with root but I'd rather not. My kids just love to steal my phone and start messing around.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

lostleaf posted:

Does anyone know how to disable the quick setting pull down while the phone is locked? This is for a s10e on Android 10. A quick search showed ways to do it with root but I'd rather not. My kids just love to steal my phone and start messing around.

I am 99% certain this isn't possible, unfortunately. At least, without root - with root, sure who knows maybe.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Combat Pretzel posted:

There's ostensibly no Bixby button on the Galaxy S10 Lite, per some leaked manual. Was this always the case with the cheaper Samsung models?

The Note 10 line doesn't have a Bixby button either. I think thats the end of them.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah, they moved voice commands to their TV lines.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

Yeah, they moved voice commands to their TV lines.

Thank god

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

What a stupid loving button that was. Especially when they got all assholish about people wanting to remap it at first

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
someone tell me about bt earbuds since i guess that's a thing now. i've used cheap wired earbuds for a billion years and as far as im concerned its fine so i just jam $10 sony earbuds into an apple USBC->3.5 adapter and call it a day but not being able to charge my phone at the same time and im concerned about port wear by switching them so much so I guess i need to be doing this the "right way" sooner than later.

- I watch youtube/netflix/plex a lot while working so audio/video sync is pretty important to me
- I don't mind spending some money but if I dont have to drop 69 billion dollars I'd rather not
- I'd prefer buds over some weird poo poo with straps/loops/bizarre poo poo

what should I be looking at? I see units from $20 chinese stuff that probably shoots radiation directly into my earhole to 2nd mortage priced units probably made of Unobtanium. I'm lost. help

Ratzinc
Aug 14, 2004

MY BALLS ARE THE SIZE OF GRAPEFRUITS

I like my earbuds, worked well with my s10+ and iPhone 11. If you check out slickdeals you can usually find a deal along with some non paid for reviews in the comments.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Ratzinc posted:

I like my earbuds, worked well with my s10+ and iPhone 11. If you check out slickdeals you can usually find a deal along with some non paid for reviews in the comments.

My earbuds? What are they called?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Maker Of Shoes posted:

someone tell me about bt earbuds since i guess that's a thing now. i've used cheap wired earbuds for a billion years and as far as im concerned its fine so i just jam $10 sony earbuds into an apple USBC->3.5 adapter and call it a day but not being able to charge my phone at the same time and im concerned about port wear by switching them so much so I guess i need to be doing this the "right way" sooner than later.

- I watch youtube/netflix/plex a lot while working so audio/video sync is pretty important to me
- I don't mind spending some money but if I dont have to drop 69 billion dollars I'd rather not

what should I be looking at? I see units from $20 chinese stuff that probably shoots radiation directly into my earhole to 2nd mortage priced units probably made of Unobtanium. I'm lost. help

I've been using Anker Liberty Lites for a while and they sound pretty good, they're comfortable, and they're inexpensive. Anker is the go-to value brand. Well that's my story

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Can't go wrong with Anker when it comes to bluetooth earbuds.

- Dirt cheap [wired] [ugly] [rear end-ton of battery life]:
https://www.amazon.com/Soundcore-Headphones-Waterproof-Protection-SweatGuard/dp/B07W6N4HNP/ref=dp_ob_title_wld
I've had two pairs of the older models. The battery life is great, and I've never had a problem watching content on my phone. modeled after the powerbeats 3.

- "Affordable" [wireless] [airpod style] [Good battery life]
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SKJNCXM/ref=emc_b_5_t

- Expensive [wireless] [good battery life] [hyped]
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E8BDS60/ref=emc_b_5_t
These are on my shortlist if I ever go back to Android

- loving expensive [wireless] [Sony] [active noise cancellation] [decent to good battery life] [no IP rating]
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T81554H/ref=psdc_172541_t1_B081TKHFK2

Honorable mentions:
- Galaxy buds
- Amazon whatever they're calleds

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Dec 29, 2019

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
i love all of you and have the largest of friendship boners right now

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

- Expensive [wireless] [good battery life] [hyped]
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E8BDS60/ref=emc_b_5_t

Best earbuds I've ever owned/used, cannot recommend enough.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I have an older version of these for cycling and they're great (comfortable and allows me to hear external sounds for safety). They're not for every use case, but perfect for exercising outside and the only Bluetooth headphones I like.

Plantronics BackBeat FIT 2100 Wireless Headphones, Sweatproof and Waterproof in Ear Workout Headphones, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FTTPVGG/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_8i-bEbRMJZQV6

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Best earbuds I've ever owned/used, cannot recommend enough.

Got these for Christmas, can confirm they're excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratzinc
Aug 14, 2004

MY BALLS ARE THE SIZE OF GRAPEFRUITS

Maker Of Shoes posted:

My earbuds? What are they called?

Sorry, hurriedly wrote my last post. I like the galaxy buds and they are releasing a newer version soon, so price cuts are coming.