Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Ended up splatting in Elf to roughly 2000 earth elementals and their buddies.

Was a good run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Hell Yeah posted:

I've been playing this game for like 10 years and just got my first 3 rune win. lol

loving congrats. Don't diminish it by calling it 3-runes; most of the hard learning in the game is getting to that point, additional runes in DCSS is just seeing what random bullshit the "post-endgame" branch decided to throw at you. The actual skill of learning good roguelike habits is *done*, good work man.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Famethrowa posted:

Ended up splatting in Elf to roughly 2000 earth elementals and their buddies.

Was a good run.
Was it Elf 3? Stay out of Elf 3 until you're either 100% certain you can faceroll it, or just that desperate for good jewelry/etc. (Even then, Slime might be easier, depending on your area damage.) I just straight up don't even touch it until I have one or two runes. Elf 2 has the hall of blades, which is a nice place to look for a good weapon, if you don't have one yet. If you don't need either of those, then there's no rush on Elf, and the guaranteed Orc 2 shops are much more important.

Actually, a good tip in general, the bottom floor of every branch is usually significantly harder than the previous floors. (Dungeon 15, Lair 6, Orc 2, Elf 3, Swamp/Spider/Shoals/Snake 4, and so on.) There's no shame in getting to Spider 3, then turning around, doing Shoals up to 3, and then deciding to clean up a bit before you drop into the final. This is especially true of Swamp 4, which has a ~50%(?) chance to bring a motherfucker of a unique on you: The 27-headed Lernean Hydra, which will gleefully chew you to pieces in melee if you're not specifically a high-AC tank with a very fast flaming slashing weapon.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Dec 28, 2019

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Was it Elf 3? Stay out of Elf 3 until you're either 100% certain you can faceroll it, or just that desperate for good jewelry/etc. (Even then, Slime might be easier, depending on your burst damage.) I just straight up don't even touch it until I have one or two runes. Elf 2 has the hall of blades, which is a nice place to look for a good weapon, if you don't have one yet. If you don't need either of those, then there's no rush on Elf, and the guaranteed Orc 2 shops are much more important.

Actually, a good tip in general, the bottom floor of every branch is usually significantly harder than the previous floors. (Dungeon 15, Lair 6, Orc 2, Elf 3, Swamp/Spider/Shoals/Snake 4, and so on.) There's no shame in getting to Spider 3, then turning around, doing Shoals up to 3, and then deciding to clean up a bit before you drop into the final. This is especially true of Swamp 4, which has a ~50%(?) chance to bring a motherfucker of a unique on you: The 27-headed Lernean Hydra, which will gleefully chew you to pieces in melee if you're not specifically a high-AC tank with a very fast flaming slashing weapon.

It was the last group of mobs in Elf 3 and I was handling well until then. Think I just overextended and wasn't patient enough about kiting them out :(. I had pretty decent resists and a killer God gift battleaxe, I was just hoping for a nice artifact ring for Vaults.

Still, 2 runes, and an extended stay in Abyss survived. I'm pretty pleased with my progress. Might be the first roguelike I've been decent at in my 15 years of playing them :confuoot:

edit: judge me harshly

https://pastebin.com/DVsDZ6Da

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 28, 2019

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i got my third rune in abyss 4. i almost died twice doing that. it seemed better than vault 5 though cause i had like 15 teleport scrolls.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Hell Yeah posted:

i got my third rune in abyss 4. i almost died twice doing that. it seemed better than vault 5 though cause i had like 15 teleport scrolls.

Abyss rune is a legit strategy because hahaha seriously gently caress Vault:5. Anyways, grats. And gonna echo the above, don't demean it 'just' being 3 runes, a win is a win and the extended endgame is utter bullshit, and that's coming from someone who tends to be slightly more comfortable in Abyss than Lair. You got that drat orb, it fuckin' counts.

E: Unless you mean you usually do like 5-6 runes, in which case, lawl, you were the one playing yourself. Grats regardless.

E2:

Famethrowa posted:

It was the last group of mobs in Elf 3 and I was handling well until then. Think I just overextended and wasn't patient enough about kiting them out :(. I had pretty decent resists and a killer God gift battleaxe, I was just hoping for a nice artifact ring for Vaults.

Still, 2 runes, and an extended stay in Abyss survived. I'm pretty pleased with my progress. Might be the first roguelike I've been decent at in my 15 years of playing them :confuoot:

edit: judge me harshly

https://pastebin.com/DVsDZ6Da

The Elf Vault is a pretty wicked upward spike in difficulty, there's some REALLY nasty mobs unique to that area. You seemed to be doing alright; I would only ask if you popped one of those hastes for that last fight? It's better to use consumables a little too often than die with them, and anything that can damnation/hellfire you deserves paying attention to, and of course running from, if necessary.

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 28, 2019

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Abyss rune is a legit strategy because hahaha seriously gently caress Vault:5. Anyways, grats. And gonna echo the above, don't demean it 'just' being 3 runes, a win is a win and the extended endgame is utter bullshit, and that's coming from someone who tends to be slightly more comfortable in Abyss than Lair. You got that drat orb, it fuckin' counts.
How to deal with Vaults 5: A guide by PMush
Step 1. Have rF+++.
Step 2. Read scroll of immolation.
Step 3. Kill something.
Step 4. Profit

The chain reaction explosions will wipe out most of the basic enemies in the area, sometimes even extending into the corners. This clears the center, and makes it much easier to focus down any bastards locking the stairs. Then you can either stairdance traditionally, or let the noise draw a new crowd, read another immolation scroll, and repeat the process until the population is a splatter of blood and meat chunks across the floor. I don't think I've died in Vaults 5 once since I started using Operation Vault Explosion.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

PMush Perfect posted:

How to deal with Vaults 5: A guide by PMush
Step 1. Have rF+++.
Step 2. Read scroll of immolation.
Step 3. Kill something.
Step 4. Profit

The chain reaction explosions will wipe out most of the basic enemies in the area, sometimes even extending into the corners. This clears the center, and makes it much easier to focus down any bastards locking the stairs. Then you can either stairdance traditionally, or let the noise draw a new crowd, read another immolation scroll, and repeat the process until the population is a splatter of blood and meat chunks across the floor. I don't think I've died in Vaults 5 once since I started using Operation Vault Explosion.

I recall trying this plan my last run (uh...a few weeks ago now, probably. yay capitalism), possibly on your recommendation, in fact. It works...okay. You still need to either get REALLY lucky or have a good backup plan; it cleared a lot of the opening vault guards, but then I was left with less than half health and had woken up everything in the drat level and the stairs were still sealed by some rear end in a top hat who was lucky enough to live through the opening volley, so I had to rely on Benny Hill and Scooby Doo antics to get into a safe position to do the cleanup afterward.

That said, if you're a caster who can manage Ignition by that point, then you're all set. :) ...yes I know it's a level 8 spell, I just really hate Vaults:5.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Are you sure you had rF+++? At rF++, it's a risky play, and at rF+, it's an inventive form of suicide.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

PMush Perfect posted:

Are you sure you had rF+++?

It was so long ago, that I have no idea. I wouldn't be surprised at all if I had done something dumb in my equipment swap and only had two pips somehow. It's genuinely difficult to disentangle my bad luck from my idiocy, it's a personal talent

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

That might’ve been it then. Glad you still survived, though!

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Hell Yeah posted:

I've been playing this game for like 10 years and just got my first 3 rune win. lol

c
:boom::boom::boom::boom::boom::boom::boom::boom::boom::boom::boom::boom::boom::boom::boom::boom::boom::boom::boom:

Now go do it by clearing Vaults 5!

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
So here is my current conundrum. I went Uksayaw on a Hill Orc, as one does, and usually I'd play uska with a big :fuckoff: axe but a spriggan in Lair dropped a vampiric demon whip.

code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.22-a0-896-g239d0cf531 (webtiles) character file.

araganzar the Dancer (Hill Orc Skald)              Turns: 26530, Time: 02:11:24

Health: 146/146    AC: 19    Str: 17    XL:     16   Next: 7%
Magic:  12/12      EV: 10    Int: 13    God:    Uskayaw [*.....]
Gold:   1318       SH:  0    Dex:  8    Spells: 10/21 levels left

rFire    . . .     SeeInvis .   b - +1 demon whip (vamp) {wield}
rCold    . . .     Gourm    .   (no shield)
rNeg     + + +     Faith    .   X - +2 chain mail of Vifimiuwk {rPois rN++}
rPois    +         Spirit   .   A - +2 helmet
rElec    +         Reflect  .   F - scarf {repulsion}
rCorr    .         Harm     .   N - +0 pair of gloves
MR       +++..                  (no boots)
Stlth    ..........             i - amulet "Niyfous" {*Drain rElec Regen+ MP+9 Str-4}
HPRegen  1.74/turn              g - ring of Nuddia Laffi {*Contam rN+++ MR+ MP-9 Slay+3}
MPRegen  0.13/turn              M - ring of protection from magic {MR+, !d}

@: regenerating, repel missiles
A: blink, clumsy 1, mutation resistance 1
Donald had a shield of reflection and I've also found a +0 broad axe that I branded to freeze. 12.4 M&F and 16.4 Axes. So the question is, spend enchant weapons on one of those and train shields, or hold off for a 2H axe?

I usually wouldn't hesitate on the broad axe but vamp is quite valuable for the first 2 runes.. Been getting by with song of slaying, regen, and spec weapon but I think it demands an investment in enchants if I want to clear swamp and spider with it.

Anyone have tips for actually using Uska's powers instead of just gritting your teeth and waiting for the refractory period of paralysis end?

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

E: Unless you mean you usually do like 5-6 runes, in which case, lawl, you were the one playing yourself. Grats regardless.

this was definitely NOT what i meant.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Hell Yeah posted:

this was definitely NOT what i meant.

Then

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Araganzar posted:

So here is my current conundrum. I went Uksayaw on a Hill Orc, as one does, and usually I'd play uska with a big :fuckoff: axe but a spriggan in Lair dropped a vampiric demon whip.

code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.22-a0-896-g239d0cf531 (webtiles) character file.

araganzar the Dancer (Hill Orc Skald)              Turns: 26530, Time: 02:11:24

Health: 146/146    AC: 19    Str: 17    XL:     16   Next: 7%
Magic:  12/12      EV: 10    Int: 13    God:    Uskayaw [*.....]
Gold:   1318       SH:  0    Dex:  8    Spells: 10/21 levels left

rFire    . . .     SeeInvis .   b - +1 demon whip (vamp) {wield}
rCold    . . .     Gourm    .   (no shield)
rNeg     + + +     Faith    .   X - +2 chain mail of Vifimiuwk {rPois rN++}
rPois    +         Spirit   .   A - +2 helmet
rElec    +         Reflect  .   F - scarf {repulsion}
rCorr    .         Harm     .   N - +0 pair of gloves
MR       +++..                  (no boots)
Stlth    ..........             i - amulet "Niyfous" {*Drain rElec Regen+ MP+9 Str-4}
HPRegen  1.74/turn              g - ring of Nuddia Laffi {*Contam rN+++ MR+ MP-9 Slay+3}
MPRegen  0.13/turn              M - ring of protection from magic {MR+, !d}

@: regenerating, repel missiles
A: blink, clumsy 1, mutation resistance 1
Donald had a shield of reflection and I've also found a +0 broad axe that I branded to freeze. 12.4 M&F and 16.4 Axes. So the question is, spend enchant weapons on one of those and train shields, or hold off for a 2H axe?

I usually wouldn't hesitate on the broad axe but vamp is quite valuable for the first 2 runes.. Been getting by with song of slaying, regen, and spec weapon but I think it demands an investment in enchants if I want to clear swamp and spider with it.

Anyone have tips for actually using Uska's powers instead of just gritting your teeth and waiting for the refractory period of paralysis end?
Have you done Hall of Blades yet? That might answer the question for you.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

The Elf Vault is a pretty wicked upward spike in difficulty, there's some REALLY nasty mobs unique to that area. You seemed to be doing alright; I would only ask if you popped one of those hastes for that last fight? It's better to use consumables a little too often than die with them, and anything that can damnation/hellfire you deserves paying attention to, and of course running from, if necessary.

It actually had just worn off. I had just finished off the last set of mobs. Definitely coulda popped more though.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

PMush Perfect posted:

Have you done Hall of Blades yet? That might answer the question for you.

Just about to start my first Lair branch. I have 19/10 defenses, I've cleared D, Lair, and Orc with no ego 2H weapons,no rC except ring of ice, and the only rPois and rF are on crap body armor.E So basically I think if I want to win I'm forced into using shields and burning my enchant weapons on the axe or whip.

edit: christ, well I ran into 2 swamp worms and a freaking tentacled monstrosity at the swamp entrance among other crap, used both my blinks to escape and both times the swamp worms pulled me back while ascending the stairs and monstrosity immediately hit and started constricting again. Read fear, read tport, and drank 4 heal potions. Now I guess I live in Swamp because the entrance is a big open area full of gently caress.

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Dec 28, 2019

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Honestly, reading the start of that edit, I was expecting it to be a "never mind, I splatted" post.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

PMush Perfect posted:

Honestly, reading the start of that edit, I was expecting it to be a "never mind, I splatted" post.

Well I cleared HOB for ya but just a couple +0 ego battleaxes so far. Turns out shield of reflection was a really good idea - 3 annihilators have killed themselves with LCS that would likely have killed me.

Also this, got sent to Abyss 3 with MR+++, teleported from an array of end your game poo poo, landed next to a beehive.
code:
34308 | Elf:3    | Cast into level 3 of the Abyss (a deep elf sorcerer)
 34454 | Abyss:3  | Reached skill level 16 in Invocations
 34483 | Abyss:3  | Got an abyssal rune of Zot
 34496 | Abyss:3  | Reached skill level 15 in Fighting
 34576 | Elf:3    | Escaped the Abyss

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

It's always hilarious when you see someone get abyssed and then they just grab the rune and get out in a few hundred turns. Like you get kicked out of the dimension, and you return a few minutes later with Starbucks. "Oh, hey, sup guys."

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Hell Yeah posted:

Congratulations! As someone who started around the same time and still hasn't won, I salute you.

:):respek::)

Every time I've had a potential winning run it starts to disrupt my social and professional life so I scramble my password and live with the dream rather than another dead vampire assassin

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Rodney The Yam II posted:

Congratulations! As someone who started around the same time and still hasn't won, I salute you.

:):respek::)

Every time I've had a potential winning run it starts to disrupt my social and professional life so I scramble my password and live with the dream rather than another dead vampire assassin

thanks man.

reading this guide helped me:
http://www.ultraviolent4.com/guide.html

there's a youtube mibe playthrough at the end that has tons of useful information about what enemies to watch out for. he's got a bunch of playthroughs for different characters, i'm pretty sure he's got one for a stealth type guy. good luck hope you get one brotha.

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Thanks friend, someday my dream will come true. I think I'd have had more success by now if I didn't delight so much in Demonspawn Chaos Knights of Xom :classiclol:

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Hell Yeah posted:

reading this guide helped me:
http://www.ultraviolent4.com/guide.html

there's a youtube mibe playthrough at the end that has tons of useful information about what enemies to watch out for. he's got a bunch of playthroughs for different characters, i'm pretty sure he's got one for a stealth type guy. good luck hope you get one brotha.

Seconding this, ultraviolent is an excellent player and all the advice in here is sound. The guide on that site by Patashu - http://www.ultraviolent4.com/patashutactics.html - is also a great introduction to positioning, situational awareness, and some gotchas that can really sting new players like energy randomization. I'd almost call it a must read.

My only real complaint is there's not a decent melee guide on the site. Despite what UV says, berserker is a not a great background to learn the game with. It's great for seeing Lair and branches for the first time but the easy access to rage and allies teaches you some specific habits that are good for Be and terrible for most other backgrounds. And Beogh is basically a pet class.

I would start with a Hill Orc or Minotaur because they are beefy and melee-heavy on the aptitudes, but use all armor slots with almost no restrictions and don't have any weird poo poo like vine stalkers or deep dwarves do. Probably gladiator because the shield start with fighter is confusing, you start with a war axe which means you can kill early game threats, and you start in leather which means you have to look for and assess new body armor. Any of the guides on that site are good for skilling and tactics for that combo.

Diety would be probably Oka because there's no complicated stuff to deal with like Wu Jian moves or Ru sacrifices and you can set Invocations at 6.0 and forget it. His powers are inexpensive, heroism generally pays for itself any time you need to use heroism, finesse is a great intro to hasted melee, it's quite clear what the powers are doing, and they have no real downside. Also out of 5 games you will probably get an outstanding weapon around lair in at least one. Uskayaw is a good set and forget for HO, just turn on Invoke when you get Uska and leave it on any time you can stand to have it on.

This to me gives a good basis from which to learn basic tactics given average luck with gear and gives you a good foundation from branching out into spells or into other gods. Fighter is probably a little better if you drop the shield fairly early on. I don't know why Fi starts with a shield for medium race instead of a buckler. Maybe give them both, what's it going to hurt?

First hybrid I would do Sk no question because in GoonCrawl your spell set is mostly toggles and Regen is a very strong spell in any version of crawl. I'd also say don't be afraid to bail on a game if it's not going your way at all. Sometimes the dungeon is really stingy or shows by what it leaves on the ground that it just doesn't "get" you. Right now I'm almost to a third rune with no see invisible and no fire resist and I've cleared Elf, it gets really frustrating eventually like that and I may just bail or play with wild abandon.

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Dec 28, 2019

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Yeah, I at least understand the bailout mindset, and I've ditched a few characters myself, but my preferred method of raging against the system is making a desperate gambit and splatting in glorious fashion, like trying to raid Abyss/Slime/Vault with an incomplete toolset, or doing a dumb orb run, or, you know, dying against that D:1 kobold with an electric whip I really want, for the hundredth time. When dumb gambits work, they can teach you things about the game and provide a good story. The one downside to be mindful of is learning bad habits from reckless play (like always going after that D:1 kobold carrying an electric whip).

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Hell Yeah posted:

Congrats! If you've been playing for ten years, now would be an excellent time to get another win as a Lava Orc or a Djinni :unsmigghh:

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

I think my first wins were with Demonspawn Fighters of Qazlal.

Build tanky, throw on a demon whip and a shield, let the storm whittle down everything around you while smite-targeting priority things with your amazing Invocations aptitude.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Qazlal is one of the most interesting and fun gods, in my opinion. The way he completely fucks up everything around you all of the time and utterly changes how you approach basically everything makes him exactly what I think a good Crawl god should be.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Cardiovorax posted:

Qazlal is one of the most interesting and fun gods, in my opinion. The way he completely fucks up everything around you all of the time and utterly changes how you approach basically everything makes him exactly what I think a good Crawl god should be.

Qaz is also a good good for learning too, actually, since you learn the most important lesson in crawl, BACK DA FUK UP. Also play it on a Skald so you can get song of slaying.

Just finished a game that was a real trial, had no pips of rF or rC and no sInv after 3 runes and Elf. Finally just enchanted up a vamp dwhip and turned on song of slaying, then I found boots of the assassin which turned line dance and solo into absolute murder. Found rPois ring and FDA in Vaults which let me trade out my only rPois which was on +2 chain. OOF ability drain is no joke with a dwhip. Had 2 stats at 3.

Also, shield of reflection came in handy, here's a stone giant triggering Uska paralysis on himself:
code:
 The stone giant shouts!
_The stone giant throws a large rock. The large rock is repelled.
 There is an open door here.
 A stone giant is nearby!
_The stone giant throws a large rock. The large rock is repelled.
 Items here: ( ))) [[[[[ ††
 The stone giant throws a large rock. The large rock is repelled.
_Uskayaw prepares the audience for your solo!
I will say the new permabuff reserve rules really discourage lining up lots of buffs and encourage training INT or using INT gear. It's hard to keep 3-4 buffs up and have enough MP to fire invocations.

Next game decided to try oka returning with a centaur, crap I should have gone Qaz, Qaz rocks with a centaur. Anyway on D5:
code:
 As you read the scroll labeled REUJOYGGIC, it crumbles to dust.
 This is a scroll of acquirement!
 [a] Weapon [b] Armour   [c] Jewellery [d] Book
 [e] Staff  [f] Evocable [g] Food      [h] Gold
_Something appears before you!
_x - an ichor-stained longbow
 The +8 longbow "Moidgh" {freeze, +Blink MR+} is covered in frost.
Just throwing that out there, I'm sure I won't take a horrible death in this game for posting this!

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I’ve been playing a high elf reaver (huiren on CKO, though the lag is really bad a lot of the time, so I’m probably not much fun to watch.) I thought I was mostly burned out on Crawl, but it turns out 2 years is enough of a break for the game to be really fun again. This is actually the first time I’ve really played a game using blade of disaster, beyond casual testing. Obviously it’s my own spell, so my perceptions are skewed, but I think:

One, it’s really strong. I was worried it would be a “win harder” spell, but that’s not how it feels at all. I can survive death yak packs, orc warlords or other dangerous mid-game melee situations as a squishy elf hybrid with much more HP and MP than I would with tools in, say, the IE starting book. Obviously it’s not nearly as useful against enemies that are equally dangerous in melee or at range, but that’s expected.

Two, It clearly needs an extra turn for you to get away before the prisms explode. Prisms often get placed in a position where it would take 3 turns at normal move speed no matter what to get away, and, of course, there’s usually only one or two directions in which you’re comfortable retreating, meaning sometimes you need to retreat even on the first turn of the buff. The spell is intended to force movement and demand careful attention to positioning in return for being able to do a lot of AoE damage while attacking in melee, but it feels like it often forces movement a little too early.

So, my question for others who have tried it out: what do you think the buff up time and countdown should be? Currently it’s 4 turns of up time then a 2 turn countdown. I think the countdown should be bumped to 3 turns to allow more consistent usage of the buff up time. However, in an absolute sense, that decreases the overall “dps” of the spell, and also delays the amount of time before it deals damage even further. You already only damage enemies 6 turns after casting the spell. If the countdown is increased to 3, should the buff up time be increased to 5? That increases overall damage per cast and gives even more leeway to hold a position at the beginning of the buff, even with unlucky placement of the prisms, but it delays the payoff even further. Or should up time and countdown just stay where they are?

The other possibility would be to change placement of the prisms to something more favorable or predictable, or have the prisms move (e.g. be pushed in the direction of player attacks, drift away from the player, drift toward each other, drift toward enemies, etc.). The issues I have with that are: 1) the spell still shouldn’t just be a strict buff to melee attacks, it should demand movement and positioning. 2) If they move, it should be in a very clear way that never unexpectedly screws you over. 3) I have no idea how to do those things. I might be able to figure out movement, but when I wrote the spell I tried to get the prisms to spawn in a predictable way and I couldn’t.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

+1 vampiric broadaxe on d:10.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Cat Legs, whoever you are, your DSAc with a weapon of electrocution on D4 just scared the poo poo out of me.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
Does the game still not display the amount of damage your weapon does? If not, why does that remain a cornerstone design decision when all experienced players have memorized the relative strengths of the weapons?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Because Crawl, that's why.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I get a new weapon and I stare real hard trying to determine what is better, then I get angry and mash tab until something (me) dies.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Vim Fuego posted:

Does the game still not display the amount of damage your weapon does? If not, why does that remain a cornerstone design decision when all experienced players have memorized the relative strengths of the weapons?

Making the game either simpler to understand, or more fun to play are not part of the current team's design goals.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

the immolation scroll thing did not work. i went down in v:5 with the char that found the vampiric broadaxe, which kicked rear end btw. anyways so there's the normal ring of vault guards, but i start fighting them and none of them make noise and there's not a sentinel around to mark me. i kill all the vault guards and it's just silence, so i am like cool, i quaffed a haste for nothing when i only have 3.

whatever, i walk to the left towards one of the big square vault things, a sentinel rounds the corner and i run from him, he marks me and all hell breaks loose. i make it back to the stairs and get the immolation off, it kills a bunch of guys and i manage to make it back up the stairs with like 3 health. so i'm like gently caress it, i go back down with trogs hand on and do another immolation scroll, but for some reason it didn't read it and i died to, i think, a bunch of negative energy strikes from a black dragon while trying to fight some dudes. it's crawl baby.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The immolation is there for the lowhp vault guards, to quickly clear them so you can get to the guy blocking the exit. If you handled the ambush "quietly" then then the scroll's just damaging you in the next fight for no good reason. After you got back up a second time, I'd have either cooled my heels if it was too hairy, or commit with a tp scroll firing as I go back down; chances are anyplace else is better than the stairs, and a trogman with an axe probably has enough sustain to regen in the corner of the map somewhere. If not, you can always flee to the stairs again, with hopefully most monsters dispersed. Also, I consider one pip of rN the absolute minimum for V:5 since there's several guaranteed black dragons.

edit: Wait, scratch all of that. If there's no stairs-locky-guy, then there's no reason not to try and pull the entire drat level up the stairs piecemeal. As long as you're sturdy enough to take a screen beating on you for two turns as you ascend, it's trivial. Also tping when at risk of being marked may be fatal, so nix that till he's out.
vvv Immo will clear out the vault guards as they're fragile enough to chain-explode, and they're a huge pile of meat blocking for the more dangerous wardens in the back. Also not everyone is a TrogTaur and they'd rather take some fire dmg than eat 10 glaives a turn. But using immo on, say, titans and dragons isn't going to do much; they're really sturdy and won't chain-explode, but you are still taking fiery booms in the face as you clear them.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i thought the point with the immolation was to blow up the swarms of enemies that hang out by the stairs. honestly, it might have worked if i had read the scroll when i intended to. i had rf +++