Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I'm finally getting to the point where I have some spare gold in RDR online.

What items are the best value for gold spent in RDRO? Anything particularly useful or fun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

At least in the online (I havent played singleplayer) calling your horse works in a fashion based off GTA online. When you whistle, it checks for the nearest path or road to spawn your horse at. Your horse can’t find you if you’re far from the games auto pathing. You just need to sprint toward the nearest trail while whistling.

What is unfortunate, is that Rockstar didn’t include railroad tracks in their “gps”, so they’re not considered when trying to spawn in your horse. Railroads are usually the most direct route, and there’s a lot of wilderness spots that have you near the tracks and no trails.

There really arent too many places on the map where a horse cant find you though. Most of them are in the north edge of new austin along the tracks, and in snowfuck nowhere. It doesn’t bother me when I whistle for my horse on a snow buried mountain and it can’t find me, cause fair enough.

If we’re gonna choose something to rant about, it should be about how loving buggy horses are in general.

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

pmchem posted:

I'm finally getting to the point where I have some spare gold in RDR online.

What items are the best value for gold spent in RDRO? Anything particularly useful or fun?

The outlaw pass is best bang for your buck with gold if you're not grinding roles. Youll make it back plus unlock stuff that youll never use instead of spending it on other stuff youll never use. Plus it works well with super casual playing if youre just doing daily challenges.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Is red dead online good / worth 60$ if I already beat the single player on a borrowed xbox over thanksgiving break.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Freudian slippers posted:

Yeah, the hunting wagon is noisier and scares the animals from farther away. I just ride around on my horse and if I see to nice deer, I shot one, then lasso and stab the other, then I stow one on the horse and drag the other back to camp. Still not sure if the wagon was worth the price.

In other news, the hackers on PC are having a field day today. I tried to start a resupply mission, Cripps froze, and I had to quit game (to be fair, that could just have been Rockstar bullshit). Started another resupply mission, my horse immediately exploded on contact with me, and so did the scrawny nag. Loads of other players were also blown up this way. Changed session, started resupply mission, was immediately teleported to another part of the map, with several other confused players. Fun times.

I hope we get Session Sweeper or something similar, been seeing more and more mod menu folks trickling in lately. Not all of them are malicious, most are teleporting around to collectible spots, but every so often I see horses combust and people running around with obvious god modes as they gank folks.

If you're gonna use a menu, fine. Just don't gently caress over other folks.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Boba Pearl posted:

Is red dead online good / worth 60$ if I already beat the single player on a borrowed xbox over thanksgiving break.

Yes. Many of the people in the Discord have never played single player and have only touched multiplayer. I double dipped and got it on PC as well because I wanted to play multiplayer with more people.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Clavavisage posted:

The outlaw pass is best bang for your buck with gold if you're not grinding roles. Youll make it back plus unlock stuff that youll never use instead of spending it on other stuff youll never use. Plus it works well with super casual playing if youre just doing daily challenges.

I already have the outlaw pass and all the roles

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

nobody likes a rotten pumbo
if you have gold and have already unlocked the roles and passes, best thing is probably just to sit on it for future roles/passes unless you badly want some upgrades or specific clothing from Madam Nazar or other items locked behind gold, in which case it is okay to spend little a gold, as a treat

looking at you, eight-bar moonshiner gloves, you rear end in a top hat

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
Spend the gold on vanity stuff. If you maintain a good daily streak and maybe do a few other missions every now and then, earning gold is a breeze.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Capn Beeb posted:

I hope we get Session Sweeper or something similar, been seeing more and more mod menu folks trickling in lately. Not all of them are malicious, most are teleporting around to collectible spots, but every so often I see horses combust and people running around with obvious god modes as they gank folks.

If you're gonna use a menu, fine. Just don't gently caress over other folks.

You know what would be nice? If Rockstar bothered at all to have any online security.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
What are the mechanics about which weapon they dump on you when you get off a horse in a single player mission? They always laden me with my shittiest repeater and i forget/sometimes not allowed to switch.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Dongattack posted:

What are the mechanics about which weapon they dump on you when you get off a horse in a single player mission? They always laden me with my shittiest repeater and i forget/sometimes not allowed to switch.

Pretty sure you can configure your default load out at a gunsmith. As with all rockstar stuff it will randomly change them when you start missions.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

spaced ninja posted:

Pretty sure you can configure your default load out at a gunsmith. As with all rockstar stuff it will randomly change them when you start missions.

Ahaaaaa, thanks.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
must find...

*shrieks* GAVIN

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

verbal enema posted:

must find...

*shrieks* GAVIN

BLENNNNNNNNYYYY!

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

verbal enema posted:

must find...

*shrieks* GAVIN

he really is very funny, capital fellow

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I don't want to do whatever quest he has, he'll stop shrieking when i visit town and it would be horrible.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Dongattack posted:

I'm hoping that if I grind trader enough to get rank 5, the camp weapon locker will help partially solve this issue as well as the issue of having too many guns to cycle through.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

yep, thats exactly what the locker does.
if you are grinding trader and there is even one item to sell, sell it for the xp.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
So I can’t seem to open the journal on PC. This has been an issue since chapter one and I’m just really bugged about it

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

The absolute best part of Red Dead Online is the fact that 4/5 people with a mic pretty much default to whatever their best cowboy voice is and it’s hilarious.

Some folks are clearly doing bits, but a lot of folks just have a subconscious need to be a cowboy when they play.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Sleekly posted:

yep, thats exactly what the locker does.

Warning: it does not fully solve this issue. Even with the weapon locker, I still often enter or exit missions with lovely guns that I banished to the locker. It’s just buggy like everything else is in this game unfortunately.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Anime Store Adventure posted:

The absolute best part of Red Dead Online is the fact that 4/5 people with a mic pretty much default to whatever their best cowboy voice is and it’s hilarious.

Some folks are clearly doing bits, but a lot of folks just have a subconscious need to be a cowboy when they play.

This goes into stuff that isn't even voice chat too. A hilariously high percentage of the time if you run across someone in GTAO just doing poo poo, somebody is gonna die. Here it seems like people are always wary, cause of that mentality, but way more willing to live and let live. Whether it's the expansiveness or the setting or what, it's cool to have interactions that aren't just immediate murder.

Not that I'm in any way immune to the lust for sudden violence. We were doing our "ride two miles on a train" daily earlier and just hopped on a train someone else had stolen and when we got up into the Grizzlies I just casually suggested that some of these spans were really high and two seconds later we'd tied up all three of their posse, drove up to that huge gently caress-off span above the waterfall up there and tossed them off.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

I'm a pretty live-and-let-live kind of player, but I'll defend myself if need be.

Case in point: I had just exited the gunsmith in Rhodes after purchasing some new armaments and mounted Freckles, my silver dapper pinto Missouri Fox Trotter. Freckles and I had only trotted a couple of meters when i notice another player running towards me, likely with ill intentions. I quickly dismounted and drew my two sawn-off shotguns, in order to better be able to defend myself. Imagine my surprise, when the blackguard instantly mounted Freckles and tried to abscond with him! Well, I was certainly having none of that, and instanter provided the would-be-rustler with a double face full of buckshot, thus curtailing his attempt at grand theft Freckles.

I then noticed that my mount was solid black and not a silver dapper pinto at all. I turned and saw Freckles still hitched outside the gunsmith, leaving me to conclude that I was indeed the horse thief in this scenario. Oh, how Freckles and I laughed as we trotted out of town, leaving that poor, faceless blighter bleeding in the dust!

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
On the benefit voucher things how can you tell what the voucher is actually for? I was looking at the 30% off select coats but I can't actually tell which coats let me get 30% off or which ones the voucher works on. Is there a way to tell?

Orv
May 4, 2011

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

On the benefit voucher things how can you tell what the voucher is actually for? I was looking at the 30% off select coats but I can't actually tell which coats let me get 30% off or which ones the voucher works on. Is there a way to tell?

When you go to buy something that's eligible it'll pop up a new bottom right option to Use Voucher, I don't know a better way to tell unfortunately.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
I am a live and let live player, for the most part. If I'm with goons and we spot a large wagon doing a long delivery, we'll attack because that's the way of the West. I've been hounded by assholes who stalked my friend and I across the map and it's obnoxious. Yeah we could have swapped sessions but y'know. I try not to behave that way, like I don't generally chase people across the map but sometimes you gotta be taught a lesson too. Like not killing the level 8 cowgirl with a level 133 friend lurking nearby in a posse called HAMMER TIME. Because that's how you get a hammer to the face.

Regarding role playing, I honestly can't blame so many people for getting into it. I find myself unintentionally slipping into some lovely cowboy drawl on Discord pretty often. The game gives so many prompts to make jumping into role play a pretty easy thing, and with the addition of a living world and radiant events, you can get a lot of mileage out of it versus typical role play settings. I do little things like trying to hitch my horse under a tree when it's raining and waiting it out, for instance. I honestly didn't think I would get much mileage out of the wardrobe system but I managed to fill all seven slots of my horse's bags with unique outfits for various occasions. When I serve people at my moonshine bar, I will try to get into a classier outfit to do it in, though now I may make an actual bar tender outfit, and maybe even something for when I play in the band.

It's really fun stepping into the role of a cowboy. I've said this on Discord several times but this is the cowboy MMO I've been wanting since the first Red Dead. I look forward to seeing where Rockstar takes it.

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Om the coat coupons I've gotten it says it's valid with coats unlocked at level 15 or below.
I bought a couple of shotguns and had a coupon for 50% off one. Made sure I bought the most expensive one first because I'm an adult and I know the value of money. So I was pleasantly surprised when I was able to choose if I wanted to pay full price or SAVE SAVE SAVE.

About roleplay, how does the general chat work? I've never bothered with online games before, and with this I'm only playing with friends. We use party chat on the PS4, but that makes it impossible to interact with anyone outside our posse.
Is the in-game chat proximity based? Or du you just blast your bullshit all over the server?

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
It's proximity based

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
So nobody knows why the journal won’t work when using a steam version of the game?

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Wow, this going to make me feel like a odd man out when I start playing RDO for the first time in a couple of days, since my normal accent is very southern.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Affi posted:

So nobody knows why the journal won’t work when using a steam version of the game?

It works fine in the Steam version I am playing, not sure what to tell ya. I did have a problem during the first train job, the one where you steal the bonds, where I couldn't inspect any of the documents on the train. But other than that I haven't had any other issues in game.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
Played the train king multiplayer mode, everyone was shooting each other before anyone could reach the train only for some cheating immortal rear end in a top hat to win it all. Extremely frustrating. :(

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

train baron or whatever it's called is a shitshow. The spawns are all terrible and it makes holding onto the train way too easy. If you see a 3+ man posse holding the train you've already lost (outside of cheaters, of course lol)

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Trade Route and maybe Salvage are the only two good ones, come at me.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I tried day of reckoning and holy poo poo that was a buggy mess.

Also manhunt is dumb because it looks cooperative at first but it's actually competitive as you get nothing if you don't hand in the bounty yourself. I've seen people straight up take the bounty right off my horse or shoot bounties because of this.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The bounty hunter events blow rear end. You get a whole lot of nothing from them, even if you do decent. The collector and trader events are far better.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

All of the competitive ones (even ones where you’re not allowed to shoot each other) really suck because the minutia of PvP “arena” combat on that scale isn’t exactly great in Rockstar games.

Give us more cooperative ones. Raid or defend the fort. Massive riot/brawl in St Denis. A big train robbery or something.

Trade route is fun if a bit rote because it’s mostly the only “big group” event I’ll play just because most of the others are so dire. (To be fair, I gave only a couple a shot a single time each before I made my decision, so maybe I’ve missed some fun ones.)

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Red Mundus posted:

I tried day of reckoning and holy poo poo that was a buggy mess.

Also manhunt is dumb because it looks cooperative at first but it's actually competitive as you get nothing if you don't hand in the bounty yourself. I've seen people straight up take the bounty right off my horse or shoot bounties because of this.

Day of Reckoning used to work a bit better, and pay far more generously. Now it's just... why bother? Especially with the mod menu idiots. I hope we get more Trade Route style events. Maybe one for moonshiners where you defend a shack against waves of revenue agents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I just got a letter to come see the mayor in Saint Denis in chapter 4, but there is no map marker and i can't remember where his house is or what it looked like since it was pitch black night when i went there and we just kinda warped inside. Is this like a "this happens later" thing or am i supposed to do something now?