Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It's incredibly difficult to justify.

The one that pushed me over the edge was Tetris Effect for PC (I got double owned with the Epic store exclusivity) even though I already had it on PS4. The only other thing I was looking forward to that's on the horizon was the new Microsoft Flight Simulator... which has no plans for VR at this moment.

So unless if you're REALLY into Beat Saber or anime titty games, the killer app remains to be VR Chat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I was just looking on steam the complete valve index kit is £920.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Jippa posted:

I was just looking on steam the complete valve index kit is £920.

yeah but it comes with alyx, so it's actually a good deal if you think about it. you're getting 965 GBP worth of stuff for 920.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Phone posted:

yeah but it comes with alyx, so it's actually a good deal if you think about it. you're getting 965 GBP worth of stuff for 920.

Yeah. I mean can you really afford not to??

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

$500 for the headset
$100 for the game
$50 for the game
$100 for the included horsebag (to be announced)

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Keeshhound posted:

"Affordable" is a little much; it's still the price of a console.

It is also a games platform. Consoles are affordable, many millions of people own them.

I agree that VR is pretty niche but over the years a big chunk of my gaming group has invested in some kind of VR headset.

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

was wonderful hearin chris again on that podcast, but when he was talking about valve it came across as bizarre as it always does when people talk to valve employees.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

_jink posted:

was wonderful hearin chris again on that podcast, but when he was talking about valve it came across as bizarre as it always does when people talk to valve employees.

It never not sounds like someone trying to justify a pyramid scheme.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

https://twitter.com/DuncanFyfe/status/1202292826828132355 UGH (thread)

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Wow, poor duncan.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Valve claims Idle Thumbs and now Campo Santo is a DOTA and Half Life VR dev?

Is nothing sacred?

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.
The Assassination of Idle Thumbs by the Coward Gabe Newell

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Now every day is dota2day

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Tenik posted:

Now every day is dota2day

https://twitter.com/Shitty_Future

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
While I can't directly blame this on Valve, I'm still going to say "gently caress Valve" for this news and the ominous nature thereof:

https://twitter.com/idlethumbs/status/1211024971998187522

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

valve can suck my rear end while I suck some beer from my forthcoming coldblum

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

END ME SCOOB posted:

While I can't directly blame this on Valve, I'm still going to say "gently caress Valve" for this news and the ominous nature thereof:

The Idle Forums are a total ghost town, and while I largely blame Slack for this, things really went downhill fast once the podcasts stopped :(

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

END ME SCOOB posted:

Tweet's gone. What'd it say?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
They're shuttering the Idle Thumbs store, discounts on everything. In the thread was also mention that the Campo Santo store is going to follow suit at an unnamed time in the near future.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Ahhhh drat. So that sounds about it for Campo Santo then huh? I hope they enjoy what they're doing at Valve and just found a different calling. Really stinks Idle Thumbs likely won't be coming back anytime soon.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Sad times.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

I had just started re-listening to Important If True again and was thinking what wondrous delights Chris and Nick would have amassed to recommend. Like a nice spoonrest, or some new condiment they'd discovered.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

The store and warehouse space were costing a lot of money, and we hadn’t done any new merch in years, even during the time we were doing Important It True. It’s sad but it made no sense to keep the storefront up and the warehouse space rented just paying out for it every month.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Hey Jake, got any sweet deets about the new Half Life game? I hope there's a room where a Wizard does a bunch of magic tricks.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Yeah I don’t really fault anyone for shutting down a podcast merch store for a dead podcast. I’m still mad I didn’t end up getting one of those Doritos and Dew “Video Games” shirts from the campo store though.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I miss my friends talking in my ear regularly and giving me a different rendition of their Video Games theme song every year or so.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Memnaelar posted:

I miss my friends talking in my ear regularly and giving me a different rendition of their Video Games theme song every year or so.

Yeah, this. Shutting the store down makes perfect sense, it's just a depressing reminder of what we've lost.

Jim Stormdancer's Topic Lords has been a lot of fun lately. He's the Frog Fractions guy, split from Video Games Hotdog when that kerfuffle went down.

Osmosisch fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Dec 31, 2019

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I really feel that we should have some final idle thumbs episode. Just to put a cap on everything.

https://twitter.com/idlethumbs/status/1211070400832004097

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://twitter.com/chrisremo/status/1268382670913892353

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Hell yeah Idle Thumbs, that's awesome.

Also plz come back

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

No longer shall it be playful, gently caress Nick Breckon. Let it ring out literal gently caress Bioware.

https://twitter.com/nickbreckon/status/1272355330857373696

Quixotic1 fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jun 15, 2020

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Listening to Idle Thumbs 310 or 311 where they're describing their ideal spin off of Friday the 13th where it's The Thing and they basically describe Among Us only not a first person action game.

If only they'd capitalised on their idea. And made it far more accessible than a first person action game.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Has there been any word from Idle Thumbs people recently? Last I saw they were working on Half Life Alyx and their game got shelved by Steam.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Popete posted:

Has there been any word from Idle Thumbs people recently? Last I saw they were working on Half Life Alyx and their game got shelved by Steam.

Haven’t played alyx yet but they recently added developer commentary. I was hoping it would be an idle thumbs reunion but I have no clue if any of them are on it.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Stan Taylor posted:

Haven’t played alyx yet but they recently added developer commentary. I was hoping it would be an idle thumbs reunion but I have no clue if any of them are on it.
Yeah, I'm supremely interested in it but my only VR avenue is PSVR so I'll probably never play it. It's supremely sad that it could be the legacy - or at least everything for the next 5-10 years or whatever the gently caress - that we hear of from idle thumbs. Bit sad, to be honest

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Popete posted:

Remo is running a Kickstarter for people who want a vinyl version of the Firewatch soundtrack: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/chrisremo/firewatch-original-soundtrack-on-vinyl

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Stan Taylor posted:

Chris Remo is in the commentary trailer.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
:sadwave: Idle thumbs.

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

Nibble posted:

While I loved the concept of going through every FF game, I have to imagine that 2 and 3 would have killed any enthusiasm and momentum the show started with. Maybe they're interesting games to look at critically, but it would be that much harder getting people into it when the two least popular games were front-loaded like that.

There's a podcast with this premise called No One Can Know About This. It's kind of a Let's Play in audio form, and the pleasure is mainly in hearing their suffering as they deal with ff's bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

Popete posted:

i got the impression the voring of campo was largely their own choice, rather then some mandate handed down from valve (though clearly not a universal one), and the dudes seem pretty content where they're at. would be very surprised if people who worked on video games all day wanted to come home and talk about more video games.

nowadays waypoint has largely filled the old thumbs niche for me. austin and rob are my favorite games talkin guys around right now.