Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
maybe they can buy bungee from microsoft and go back to making marathon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

infernal machines posted:

maybe they can buy bungee from microsoft and go back to making marathon

i thought those guys left bungie a while ago, so buy whatever that new studio is.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
can’t wait to play destiny 3 on a magic touchpad

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

IUG posted:

i thought those guys left bungie a while ago, so buy whatever that new studio is.

seems like they're all over the place:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bungie#Related_companies

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

im playing halo reach right now and its pretty poo poo tbh so maybe not

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
halo has always sucked rear end but console owners think its amazing because it was the first console fps that was remotely playable.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
https://wccftech.com/apple-gaming-mac-launch-2020-rumor/

wccftech is notoriously unreliable but still pretty funny. $5k gaming Mac with deprecated ancient OpenGL and no Vulcan support lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
a "gaming mac" would just be an appletv

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

honestly not the worst solution either since it would be the least ugly console designed to sit by a tv in years

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

It's just going to be the cheese grater mac pro with a couple of RGB led strips inside

More SKU for the SKU gods

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Maximum Leader posted:

wccftech is notoriously unreliable but still pretty funny. $5k gaming Mac with deprecated ancient OpenGL and no Vulcan support lol

quote:

a ‘gaming’ Mac from Apple that could fetch a price of up to $5,000 with the sole intention of targeting the e-sports market.

lmao. why even print this?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

r u ready to WALK posted:

It's just going to be the cheese grater mac pro with a couple of RGB led strips inside

it's not going to exist because apple is not going to target "the e-sports market"

if only there were some way to make a product that would sell to absolutely no one, as opposed to the rounding error of macs we currently sell

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Maximum Leader posted:

it's a me, lomarfio

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

lmao.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Maximum Leader posted:

both major engines (ue4 and unity) support metal.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

please turn off your adblocker to support quality journalism

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Apple doesn’t care about gaming on macs and never will. they half-rear end tried to make the Apple TV a gaming platform and then screwed it up by not having a controller.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
some people want to believe so much in the xmac

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
xmacstation

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Management posted:

Apple doesn’t care about gaming on macs and never will. they half-rear end tried to make the Apple TV a gaming platform and then screwed it up by not having a controller.

it took them 10 years to give up on making a lovely exclusive controller api nobody wanted and just let people connect their console controllers

half-assing it caused longer harm than no-assing it would have

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

i tried playing some games on the apple tv with the included remote and it's Philips CDi levels of bad

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

i tried playing some games on the apple tv with the included remote and it's Philips CDi levels of bad

same. it was hellish. the gen 4 remote is bad enough to use just to look for shows and poo poo.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

all i want for christmas is skus

–timb

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Agile Vector posted:

all i want for christmas is skus

–timb

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Got my shiny 4K monitor to work with my 2018 Mac Mini... over a USB-C to HDMI cable... at 30hz :negative:

Either the Mac, the cable, or the monitor only suppots 4K over HDMI at 30hz, fml

Nobody in town even carries a USB-C to DisplayPort cable. Got one ordered from Geoff Bozos, should be here Tuesday (sorry Amazon warehouse employees).

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Doc Block posted:

Got my shiny 4K monitor to work with my 2018 Mac Mini... over a USB-C to HDMI cable... at 30hz :negative:

Either the Mac, the cable, or the monitor only suppots 4K over HDMI at 30hz, fml

Nobody in town even carries a USB-C to DisplayPort cable. Got one ordered from Geoff Bozos, should be here Tuesday (sorry Amazon warehouse employees).

not sorry enough to not literally ruin lives for a little bit of comfort i guess

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Shaggar posted:

halo has always sucked rear end but console owners think its amazing because it was the first console fps that was remotely playable.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Doc Block posted:

the mac most likely. pretty good odds on the intel integrated graphics not supporting hdmi 1.3

e: or not, looks like it explicitly supports 4k over the hdmi 2.0 capable port

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Dec 28, 2019

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

the mac most likely. pretty good odds on the intel integrated graphics not supporting hdmi 1.3

e: or not, looks like it explicitly supports 4k over the hdmi 2.0 capable port

i wonder if the hdmi port on this mac is kinda wonky.

i can connect my PC monitor to it using an HDMI-DVI adaptor, but sometimes when booting the screen will be filled with static, and i have to unplug and replug the monitor from the mac before it'll start working.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

carry on then posted:

not sorry enough to not literally ruin lives for a little bit of comfort i guess

i see this attitude a lot. are there literally no other online stores that exist in the us ?

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

The Management posted:

i remember thinking years ago that they could literally just sell a set of gamepads that attached to the sides of existing iphones for an instant handheld + game controller for apple tv. nintendo sure seems to be hedging that bet with recent console design..

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

it's so weird to walk into an apple store and see xbox controllers for sale

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

i remember thinking years ago that they could literally just sell a set of gamepads that attached to the sides of existing iphones for an instant handheld + game controller for apple tv. nintendo sure seems to be hedging that bet with recent console design..
iirc they showed a prototype of such a thing, created by logitech, when they debuted mfi controller support for ios, but there was never anything official.

there have been some third-party attempts to chase that dragon, with limited success

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

they could have had a successful casual gaming console with iOS game ports on Apple TV if they just weren’t idiots about requiring games work with the dumb remote and not supporting the best controllers.

there were third parties that made gamepads that attach to the sides of iPhones. Apple did a terrible job supporting accessories like that, so the entire lightning accessory ecosystem is basically nothing but speaker stands.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Shaggar posted:

shaggar is almost right

goldeneye may have been choppy and blurry in true n64 fashion, but sitting around with friends in a basement in grade/high school while doing 4 way split-screen deathmatch, then pelting the guy who always picked oddjob with pizza bagel bits because he's a douchebag was a good time. it was also a console game that actually supported widescreen in 1997

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
goldeneye was really bad and the n64 controller is probably the worst of all mainstream controllers.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it was great fun, it was also a terrible fps

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i remember asking myself, at the time in history, "how did this even get released" cuz the frame rate was so low. Same with jurassic park SNES.

like, it didn't meet my child's mind MVP for release

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

N64 proudly pioneered the era of 10 fps games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx3_beBwsZ0&t=600s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
can you use an egpu with an internet macintosh