Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I used to know two poly couples that I thought were able to pull it off healthily. Then one of those couples got pregnant and it all exploded and the other guy went crazy and tried to kill himself and his ex-girlfriend (not the one he knocked up, but one fro like 3 years before....for some reason). The other one worked for years and years and years as a couple and him with a girlfriend, but once she wanted her own girlfriend it all fell apart.

This has lead me to believe the best a "committed" poly relationship can do is keep plates spinning for as long as possible. I'm sure there's a bunch of people that actually pull it off, but I bet those are super rare. Like basically unicorns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

I used to know two poly couples that I thought were able to pull it off healthily. Then one of those couples got pregnant and it all exploded and the other guy went crazy and tried to kill himself and his ex-girlfriend (not the one he knocked up, but one fro like 3 years before....for some reason). The other one worked for years and years and years as a couple and him with a girlfriend, but once she wanted her own girlfriend it all fell apart.

This has lead me to believe the best a "committed" poly relationship can do is keep plates spinning for as long as possible. I'm sure there's a bunch of people that actually pull it off, but I bet those are super rare. Like basically unicorns.

Yeah, this is basically true. Everyone has to be equally responsible and respectful, and that never lasts forever. It's a fun thing to do for a while if you find the right people, but eventually almost everyone I've known has left the scene.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Solice Kirsk posted:

If the relationships thread has taught me anything, this is just dating in general regardless of how many people are involved.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Picnic Princess posted:

If the relationships thread has taught me anything, this is just dating in general regardless of how many people are involved.

Why stop there? Essentially its the blueprint for all human interaction when you get down to it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

My waifu pillow would never cheat on me.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
My general impression of polyamory is that it involves a group of dorky-looking people loudly defending their life choice for about a year max and the real successful ones get to last for two years and write a Vice article

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

“Jellicle” is apparently word play on “dear little cats” courtesy T.S. Elliot circa 1935; the cat poems were published in ‘39. I thought it was a corruption of “angelical” which would fit the whole floating off to the sky bit. Anyway, the word first appears in “Five-Finger Exercises” so make of that what you will.

Given that it's Jellicle Cats and Pollicle Dogs I go with the angelical/diabolical interpretation.

I've got friends who are pulsating with keenness to see this pollicle movie; after all these reviews god help me I have to go with them just to see their reactions.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

goose willis posted:

My general impression of polyamory is that it involves a group of dorky-looking people loudly defending their life choice for about a year max and the real successful ones get to last for two years and write a Vice article

By and large, yeah this is accurate. There are people who legitimately make a life around it and quietly live it though without trying to make a big deal about it. I know a woman who has been poly for 12 years, has had 3 steady partners for most of it, and has never caught a disease. She's a totally normal and well adjusted person.

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009

Runcible Cat posted:

Given that it's Jellicle Cats and Polycule Dogs I go with the angelical/diabolical interpretation.

I've got friends who are pulsating with keenness to see this pollicle movie; after all these reviews god help me I have to go with them just to see their reactions.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

^^^

:wth:

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

The great thing about poly people is, either things work out, and you can be happy for them, or it melts down in spectacular fashion and you can enjoy the fireworks.

And that's fine. As long as they enjoy their own lives who cares. The only obnoxious ones are the ones who prattle on about how "Humans arent meant to monogamous, it's not in our genes maaaaaaaaaaaan"

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

ExplodingSims posted:

And that's fine. As long as they enjoy their own lives who cares.

:yeah:

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Most relationships already fail and for every extra person you're adding a point of failure for every other person in the group.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Agreed who cares. Only 4 or 5 pages taking about it. Clearly caring only begins if we get the thread closed because we won’t stop not caring so much

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Let's spring this thread back into shape.

https://twitter.com/SJSchauer/status/1210449803206746112

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
To possibly mangle a famous goon quote: By and large, most polyamorous people are bi and large.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
Every poly relationship i've ever seen has been:

1) Some doing a controlled demolition on an existing relationship so they can jump to a new one without ever having to be single. Usually they aren't up front about this.

2) One partner being browbeaten into accepting a poly/open relationship because they're terrified of being alone. This partner is generally miserable. These can last a long time!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

DorkusMalorkus posted:

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1202968555177820160

screenshot just in case:

I did not click on the link and I did not read the article

I though the Piper Perri meme was banned. :confused:

FistOfTacitus
Oct 21, 2009
I find a good rule of thumb for any kinda relationship with sex in it is that people who can't shut up about it are doomed to fail at it. True for monogamous people too; anyone who can't shut up about how eternal and logical and sanctioned by God or whatever their relationship is is way more into the identity than the work that would be needed to sustain it. Calling any kind of human relationship with sex in it 'natural' means that someone has departed from reality, and the spiral has begun.

That said, poly with kids does blow up much more spectacularly. Maybe not quite as bad as the classic mono-but Dad has a secret family situation.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

LingcodKilla posted:

My waifu pillow would never cheat on me.

I have bad news for you my friend. She and I have had a thing going for a while.

I actually wash her.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Screaming Idiot posted:

I have bad news for you my friend. She and I have had a thing going for a while.

I actually wash her.

Ummmmm, this pillow never told me about you two......

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I’ve never been in a poly relationship but not for lack of trying

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

oldpainless posted:

I’ve never been in a poly relationship but not for lack of trying

More like old gameless

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

More like old gameless

:eyepop:

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

DorkusMalorkus posted:

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1202968555177820160

screenshot just in case:

I did not click on the link and I did not read the article

I don't get the AUG in this one. If I could live with 4 nerdy chicks that all want to bang me (and probably have a good income), I'd be grinning like that too.
This woman owns.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“Nerdy” is doing a lot of work in that description.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

RabbitWizard posted:

I don't get the AUG in this one.

They have one bathroom.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Platystemon posted:

I though the Piper Perri meme was banned. :confused:

Fairly sure that's not Perri.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

RabbitWizard posted:

I don't get the AUG in this one. If I could live with 4 nerdy chicks that all want to bang me (and probably have a good income), I'd be grinning like that too.
This woman owns.

There’s being nerdy and then there’s having Opinions about skin color in world of warcraft like all four of those dudes look like they have.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Biplane posted:

There’s being nerdy and then there’s having Opinions about skin color in world of warcraft like all four of those dudes look like they have.

Why? What's your opinion on skin colour in WoW?

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.

RabbitWizard posted:

This woman owns.

She’s ugly and all the guys are ugly and they’re weird

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Mustached5thGrader posted:

She’s ugly and all the guys are ugly and they’re weird

Eh. If ugly people never got to gently caress, the human race would have died out long ago.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Groke posted:

Eh. If ugly people never got to gently caress, the human race would have died out long ago.

It would have been for the best.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Groke posted:

You say this like it would've been a bad thing.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

That kid's life is gonna blow just like the life of the year old child of my coworker's will blow since she and her husband claim they have the real Necronomicon in their house and people would kill them for it

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Inceltown posted:

It would have been for the best.

You might be correct, at least we wouldn't be spending a Saturday shitposting.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Groke posted:

You might be correct, at least we wouldn't be spending a Saturday shitposting.

Sunday morning thank you very much :colbert:

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

she and her husband claim they have the real Necronomicon in their house
Lol my buddy still thinks it's a real book that was written by someone at some point instead of part of Lovecraftian world building. :doh:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I remember the 1985 Chicago Bears and Rodney Dangerfield recording a rap song, Super Bowl Shuffle and Rappin Rodney, but I didn't know the 86 Mets made one that's somehow worse than both of those.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpvufrpAhls

For a while there in the 80s it seemed like everyone made a rap song

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

And you know better from not loving anyone ever?

This is SA. We're all virgins here