Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

yeah like cnbc guy talking about inflation inflation

like that will never occur again as ed/housing/health all rise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

yeah like cnbc guy talking about inflation inflation

like that will never occur again as ed/housing/health all rise

all the stuff that normies spend money on and rely on to not loving die are excluded from inflation numbers almost entirely lol

like if you inherited your home and spend ~20% of your income on it but eat caviar and lox for ever single meal, then yeah inflation metrics probably reflect what your life is, but for everbody else it's a fuckin joke

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Lmao ofoofm pdfffdt kmafso

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

cigna balls

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

thechosenone posted:

Just a thought, the s&p500 is up 28 percent year over year, so there is either gonna be some corrections or stagnation, or there is a gonna be a problem. If these returns are sellable, then eventually someone is gonna cash out, and there are three places it can come from, the rich, the government, and the rest. Can't have the money spicket be the source if the idea is inflation won't happen, the rich aren't gonna let themselves lose money, and there is only so much everyone else has to offer.

So one of those is gonna break either causing inflation, a Highlander scenario for the rich, or the rest of the market that isn't those two is gonna get kicked out and then one of the previous scenarios must occur.

Excuse me but it sounds like you are questioning the number. Please refrain from number bothering in the future.

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747

Iridium posted:

remember when ICE raided a bunch of food processing plants back in august?

https://twitter.com/perduefarms/status/1210674333875658755

more 👏 bisexual 👏 women 👏 battery 👏 cage 👏 operators 👏

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
how could inflation be real if money isn't real

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
David graeber was making tons of noise defending Corbyn over the anti-Semitism smears so idc if his writing can be a bit poo poo

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Teal posted:

how could inflation be real if money isn't real

whoa

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Jose posted:

David graeber was making tons of noise defending Corbyn over the anti-Semitism smears so idc if his writing can be a bit poo poo

i havent read debt but i really liked bullshit jobs. he definitely leans into the anthropology more than the political economy though

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

asgagajjdgsfa

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

lmao we live in hellworld

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

i sent an email and they paid for a bunch of tests. unfortunately my klomentum is terminal

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Death to boomers generational war now

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1210690520458170380?s=19

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Jose posted:

The figures exclude landlords because age data for them is not collected.

'

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

Yeah I'm usually sympathetic to people that argue that the problem is rich vs poor rather than a generational conflict, but it's hard to square that with so many examples of boomers pulling the ladder up behind them at each step of their lives.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Tirade posted:

Yeah I'm usually sympathetic to people that argue that the problem is rich vs poor rather than a generational conflict, but it's hard to square that with so many examples of boomers pulling the ladder up behind them at each step of their lives.

It still is tho is secondary. All the poor people die younger so there's gonna be more rich olds.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Tirade posted:

The boomers were given a foot in the door of the capital class via home ownership and cheap credit. This created a shared interest with the capital class and have made them a valued constituency throughout the neoliberal world. The generational conflict IS a class conflict.

^^^ that's part of it but when you look at the demographics I don't think its the only explanation

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Boomers were totally convinced that once they started winning generational warfare they'd create Full Global Communism. Millenials would probably have the same character arc if they survive to 60.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Tulip posted:

Boomers were totally convinced that once they started winning generational warfare they'd create Full Global Communism. Millenials would probably have the same character arc if they survive to 60.
If we lose all our empathy and solidarity, that'd be possible.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Centrist Committee posted:

I wonder if there’s anyone who’s collected and analyzed shooter manifestos over the years, I admit I’ve mostly blocked it out but it feels like there’s important left analysis to be done there

This was only twelve days ago so not really so much, no, unless it was privately funded.

"Congressional leaders reached a deal to fund research on gun violence for the first time in more than 20 years, a major legislative victory for Democrats, researchers and anti-gun-violence activists."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2019/12/16/congressional-deal-could-fund-gun-violence-research-first-time-since-s/

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Tulip posted:

Left wing boomers have always been in the minority

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

unwantedplatypus posted:

Most boomers weren't hippies, they were boring losers who scoffed at the stories about the wacky hippies before appropriating their clothing and music.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

ya its mostly stolen valor, hippies had some Issues but most of the boomers alive now were the ones tut tutting at them for being against the war but they've realized that's the loser side so they just pretend they were cool

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

thechosenone posted:

Just a thought, the s&p500 is up 28 percent year over year, so there is either gonna be some corrections or stagnation, or there is a gonna be a problem. If these returns are sellable, then eventually someone is gonna cash out, and there are three places it can come from, the rich, the government, and the rest. Can't have the money spicket be the source if the idea is inflation won't happen, the rich aren't gonna let themselves lose money, and there is only so much everyone else has to offer.

So one of those is gonna break either causing inflation, a Highlander scenario for the rich, or the rest of the market that isn't those two is gonna get kicked out and then one of the previous scenarios must occur.

The thing about inflation, though, is that it only really occurs if the money is actually passing through the economy. If the hyper-rich have a bunch of their wealth tied up in stocks and the government injects money to keep the market from failing, yeah, they'll have more cash, but will they actually be using it in ways that result in inflation?

Basically it seems like it might be entirely possible for the numbers of the balance sheets of the rich to just continue increasing because the vast majority of that is never actually going to be translated into goods and services.

Tulip posted:

The main reason this isn't true is because the actual material circumstances that millenials face are very different from those boomers faced. Unlike boomers, millennials aren't going to see improved standards of living as they get older (and that's not getting into the impact of climate change).

That doesn't necessarily mean they'll become left-wing, but they'll likely to be more radical in their politics in general, because they'll be less capable of tolerating the status quo.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Dec 29, 2019

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

The thing about inflation, though, is that it only really occurs if the money is actually passing through the economy. If the hyper-rich have a bunch of their wealth tied up in stocks and the government injects money to keep the market from failing, yeah, they'll have more cash, but will they actually be using it in ways that result in inflation?

Basically it seems like it might be entirely possible for the numbers of the balance sheets of the rich to just continue increasing because the vast majority of that is never actually going to be translated into goods and services.

the stuff it's touching are absolutely experiencing inflation - stocks and rent and housing as the best examples, but inflation as a statistic still isn't reflecting this because it's totally divorced from real life

like my rent alone goes up 5%+ a year, and my wages 2% (and I'm lucky to get that much), yet official metrics say I'm ahead of the curve. It's total bullshit, just like unemployment

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Rent in Seattle has gone up 74% in the last ten years. Wages, with the exception of metro Seattle's shift to a $15 minimum wage, have remained stagnant or even gone down.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Kesper North posted:

Rent in Seattle has gone up 74% in the last ten years. Wages, with the exception of metro Seattle's shift to a $15 minimum wage, have remained stagnant or even gone down.

Number says this is sustainable and nothing will go wrong.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Kesper North posted:

I caught a segment on MSNBC today where they went on and on about how great the economy is doing. It was all to set up a sick burn on Trump for having such a low approval rating despite the wonderful and record breaking economy he created.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Epic High Five posted:

ya its mostly stolen valor, hippies had some Issues but most of the boomers alive now were the ones tut tutting at them for being against the war but they've realized that's the loser side so they just pretend they were cool

This . Boomers as a whole. Really were happy Collectively to slaughter the welfare states of America and Britain once they collectively had enough cash to stop benefiting. Yeah part of it was propaganda. But really. And great prosperity that doesn’t universalize poo poo and or built on a crumbling empire can create the impulses h Th at brought us Trump and Johnson.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Kesper North posted:

How is that possible, didn't Seattle absorb some of those high paying tech jobs? How have they turned into one of those Boston/San Francisco cities without high income people moving in?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

unwantedplatypus posted:

And left wing millenials will, slowly but surely, become the minority. Climate death isn't going to happen all at once and it isn't going to cut across class lines.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Most boomers weren't hippies, they were boring losers who scoffed at the stories about the wacky hippies before appropriating their clothing and music.

And, at least according the Ken Burns Vietnam documentary, some 70% polled at the time approved of the Kent State Massacre.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

skooma512 posted:

And, at least according the Ken Burns Vietnam documentary, some 70% polled at the time approved of the Kent State Massacre.

Also the Vietnam War had a widespread Boomer support while Hippies were seen as a laughable fringe movement

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Tulip posted:

And left wing millenials will, slowly but surely, become the minority. Climate death isn't going to happen all at once and it isn't going to cut across class lines.

Lol. Why? The boomers were always right wing. Especially when it came to economics. They always had fygm tendencies.

powerful lizard
Jan 28, 2009

Tulip posted:

Good thing they're downwardly mobile

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
occupy wall st is probably the closest we got to hippie stuff in the modern era, it rose awareness of how hosed everything is and put "99% vs 1%" in the common language or whatever......:shrug:

BrokenGameboy
Jan 25, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
The material conditions that created right wing boomers doesn't exist anymore. For that to happen again things will have to seriously change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

fits my needs posted:

occupy wall st is probably the closest we got to hippie stuff in the modern era, it rose awareness of how hosed everything is and put "99% vs 1%" in the common language or whatever......:shrug:

raising awareness is the name of the game. the higher the awareness number, the bigger the win.