Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

YaketySass posted:

You're supposed to communicate these things if that's the intention.

Oh now we are supposed to pay attention to the ideas communicated by the movie

I’ll readjust

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

clearly force flying is just like futurama flying where you're actually just moving the entire universe and your ship stays still

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Blood Boils posted:

Have you watched Empire as an adult? Chemistry lol
They meant the coke and booze the Rolling Stones shared with them

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There is actually no difference between her moving and the ship moving

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
well i mean pulling the ship to her would drag the ship into the range of the first order's guns but hey you do you

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

euphronius posted:

Oh now we are supposed to pay attention to the ideas communicated by the movie

I’ll readjust

Paying attention to the ideas communicated by the movie is a bad idea because then you realize the movie sucks.

(But you're totally right about that scene looking the same if she pulls the ship though)

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Obviously you don't shoot the scene the exact same way if she pulls it. You have different shots establishing the ship has the force being used on it and the crew reacting to that (you'd probably make it a shuttle or something more realistic for her to pull) and you shoot it so it's clear that Leia isnt gliding forward like she's on rails.

Ideally you just scrap it altogether but her using the force to fly is very stupid.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

They could definitely have incapacitated her without directly exposing an old lady to the vacuum of space.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I *hand wave* it by thinking there was a remnant atmosphere from the bridge that helped her
*hand wave*

Of course CHRIS PRATT survives worse in guardians of the galaxy and he’s no Jedi

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Just Chamber posted:

Force pull is an actual establish power instead of loving flying.

Telekinesis, super jumping and actual force ghosts weren't established until Empire, Lightning wasn't established until RotJedi, etc etc.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
If Luke can jump super high with the force and Quigon Jinn can run comically fast, then I don't see what's so upsetting to the mind about Leia pulling herself with the force in a zero gravity environment where you'd imagine pulling oneself would be much easier

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
The difference between pulling and getting pulled in space is semantic. That's why astronauts stay tethered to their vehicles 99.99999% of the time.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

General Dog posted:

I have to admit, I saw this again with my parents today and enjoyed it a bit more than the first time. I guess since I knew the full arc of the plot and was prepared for everything dumb, I was able to enjoy the nice shots and decent character moments more.

I did notice a couple of dumb things that I didn’t last time, like how the very beginning establishes a 24 hour ticking clock and the movie then does nothing to give us any feeling of the passage of time for the rest of the movie.

Also, how did Palpatine’s closet door in the Death Star wreckage (where she retrieves the wayfinder) still have power?

and like every time he moved it he had a new knife made?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Onmi posted:

You know, Bendis, the Comic Writer.

EDIT: I just realized that people genuinely don't know and you're not doing a bit.

Reads like Beckett

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Why have a dagger pointing to the throne room?! Why not have the dead guy have a note saying "the way finder is in the throne room" and they have to go get the death Star plans from someone to figure out where the throne room was instead of a dagger with spooky inscription on it??????

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

It would be so easy to cut so much from this movie. Like I actually enjoyed the C3PO memory wipe jokes (R2D2 saying they're best friends gave me nice tummyfeels) but you could just loving ditch it and there's like 10 minutes freed up where everyone doesn't have to be running around and panicking!

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

2house2fly posted:

Why have a dagger pointing to the throne room?! Why not have the dead guy have a note saying "the way finder is in the throne room" and they have to go get the death Star plans from someone to figure out where the throne room was instead of a dagger with spooky inscription on it??????

or all she really needs to do is get in the general vicinity and the AMBIENT EVIL LINGERING THERE draws her to the throne room because palp wants her to find it (I think???)

but a spooky sith dagger adds mystique and adventure unless you keep reusing it as a plot device

edit: also thinking about it for five seconds ruins the mystique and reveals that dagger was like 30 years old, tops, and just raises a lost of logistical questions but ADVENTURE

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Dec 29, 2019

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

I just think Leia flying looks hokie and fake, even among the other cgi fakeness, and for her to immediately fall into a coma afterwards makes it even stranger, like she did it as an autonomous response. When it comes to the force I always figured that the potential was limitless, and we only saw commonly trained techniques. It's manipulating the universal lifeforce, I don't see why that would need to manifest as x set of powers like its and RPG.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
rey: no I still need the dagger
why
rey: I don't know but it's important the force told me

later: the dagger is important
me, full of popcorn and piss: HOHSHIT now THAT'S some fine writing

also leia should have telekinetically exploded a bunch of space debris and launched herself back into the ship like a missile, it would better explain her immediately passing out afterward

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

euphronius posted:

I *hand wave* it by thinking there was a remnant atmosphere from the bridge that helped her
*hand wave*

Of course CHRIS PRATT survives worse in guardians of the galaxy and he’s no Jedi

Peter Quill survived vacuum because he was half-god at that point

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Her passing out after having hung out in a vacuum is the least of my problems with Leia Poppins. And for force pulling the ship, of course the lesser mass will move first, its Physics! :goonsay:

I was more annoyed by the fact she was so clearly filmed STANDING FUCKIGN UP

The other day I watched ANH while really high and realized that all of the criticisms of the current film equally qualify for it too. Its Star Wars, its never been writing for a Man Booker Award

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

2house2fly posted:

Why not just write the whole movie on post-its and leave them around the theater for the audience to find? Why make a movie?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Trumpishly: But I'll still watch this garbage

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Bilirubin posted:

Her passing out after having hung out in a vacuum is the least of my problems with Leia Poppins. And for force pulling the ship, of course the lesser mass will move first, its Physics! :goonsay:

I was more annoyed by the fact she was so clearly filmed STANDING FUCKIGN UP

The other day I watched ANH while really high and realized that all of the criticisms of the current film equally qualify for it too. Its Star Wars, its never been writing for a Man Booker Award

My response to every critic has just been surprise that they were expecting a sequel trilogy to the first two Godfathers or some poo poo. I don't think people who really hate these movies like Star Wars at all. Which I understand a lot more than hating the most Star Wars movie I can imagine.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

tadashi posted:

My response to every critic has just been surprise that they were expecting a sequel trilogy to the first two Godfathers or some poo poo. I don't think people who really hate these movies like Star Wars at all. Which I understand a lot more than hating the most Star Wars movie I can imagine.

I think part of the issue is that while nostalgia can put the hooks in and make people feel a connection to a franchise for life, it also creates unrealistic expectations, because nothing (at least nothing you'll get from a popcorn movie) will ever be as good as your perception of something you loved as a child. I think another thing is that even if people disliked the prequels, they cemented the idea in people's heads that the Skywalkers, and Anakin in particular, were extremely important, so for their/his biggest accomplishment to be retconned away so a new character unrelated to him could do a better job of it while his descendants all died as supporting characters was bound to make people unhappy. The existence of retconned EU stories that made Luke a galaxy striding hero for decades probably also contributed to superfan bitterness when that was far from what they got.

I really think a lot of the fan anger that people thought was because Rey was a woman was really because she wasn't Luke's daughter (which isn't to say the first doesn't exist too).

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Dec 29, 2019

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

YaketySass posted:

TCW is painfully stingy about giving the antagonists some wins, in the true tradition of adventure cartoons where the villains are incredibly stubborn perma-losers.

late to this, but: what do you mean? the jedi win, like, every time

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
I think the new movies and A New Hope are absolutely held to different standards

I also think that's completely fair

I'm shooting from the hip here but I think A New Hope was the best movie it could have been. By that, I mean I don't think George Lucas was personally capable of better writing. I don't think he could have pulled off better special effects. I don't think he could have done better directing. I don't think he could have brought in a writer or producer or whoever that could have improved the film. I think for the time and place it was made, the resources it had, and the people on hand, the film had meager potential and completely met it or exceeded it. It was a better film than it had a right to be, for what it was; it was better in practice in than it was in theory. It's a flawed film, no doubt, but I think in a sense that was the best it realistically could have been.

The new films swing the other way around. A ridiculous budget. The foreknowledge that they were absolutely going to make a trilogy, and a poo poo ton of spin-offs. A media conglomerate monopoly monster at the helm that can afford any director, any writer, any special effects. Anything. Sky's the loving limit, infinite potential, and what we got was... arguably on par, maybe a little better, maybe a little worse, than what Lucas and company shat out in a basement in the 70s.

Like, there's complaints about how bad Leia looked in this movie (or even in Last Jedi, floating in space), and I can't deflect that with "well you know it's better than the special effects in A New Hope." That's not the bar to clear. No poo poo the special effects are better now, they should be. There's no reason the writing shouldn't be better, too. And the pacing, and the overall plotting, and everything else. It's like comparing a heavyweight boxer and a lightweight amateur--you're right, the heavyweight boxer will probably come out ahead. That there's even a question, even a debate about whether the writing is better or worse when Disney could have shoveled money at the best writers ever should say a lot about Rise of Skywalker.

Lucas pulled the OG trilogy out of his rear end, and it shows (see: Leia kissing Luke). Disney did not have to loving do that, there's absolutely zero reason for them to have done that but they did and it's going to color how I compare the movies. I'm not a film critic or anything, that's just the thought that popped into my head while I was out back having a smoke

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

tadashi posted:

Why not just write the whole movie on post-its and leave them around the theater for the audience to find? Why make a movie?
The sith dagger is literally just a post it note made of metal!!!!!!

As for the original Star Wars, it's coherent and the characters are likeable and a lot of the writing has a ton of personality. Like you can just see any random line devoid of context and know who said it and nod your head and think "hell yeah that line is cool". Maybe that's just due to acting but it's still more than I can say for most of the lines in TLJ and ROS

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Bleck posted:

late to this, but: what do you mean? the jedi win, like, every time

they mean the red team

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
it just clicked, I'm subconsciously not comparing New Star Wars to Old Star Wars, I think my brain is comparing New Star Wars to the Marvel movies

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Everyone posted:

Peter Quill survived vacuum because he was half-god at that point

What are Jedi

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
the dagger pointing to the exact spot on the wreckage isn't actually that bad, because that is how the force works, except the dagger doesn't look or feel enough like something that should be able to do that. it's a failure of imagination on jj abram's part not to make it more obviously mystical.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Or they just made the dagger thirty years ago.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

ungulateman posted:

the dagger pointing to the exact spot on the wreckage isn't actually that bad, because that is how the force works, except the dagger doesn't look or feel enough like something that should be able to do that. it's a failure of imagination on jj abram's part not to make it more obviously mystical.

Maybe the dagger is magic and the engravings shift or change to ensure that they match up with the outline of wherever the thing is supposed to be.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
is euphronius really arguing that jedi should be able to survive in space because some dude from a marvel film did it

lmfao

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I think just a normal human can survive in space for 30 seconds or so. It’s not insta-death to the level that it’s normally portrayed in movies.

You can argue that the scene looks silly, but by the standards of Star Wars and force users, it doesn’t strike me as particularly implausible.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

baby yoda just healed a dudes dead arm. in 4 seconds. why can’t Leia float for a bit.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Next movies should go full Shin Megami Tensei with the Galaxy caught between Law and Chaos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

A normal human would make it like 15-20 seconds before passing out, but then normal humans haven't been traveling in space for a thousand generations and nor do they have literal magic powers.

Put it like this, Leia surviving a couple of minutes in space is much more plausible than the Millennium Falcon flying from Hoth to Bespin at sublight speed