Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

my kinda ape posted:

What if your motherboard came with one

I've heard that if you can stomach the idea of potentially compromising a small part of your motherboard's warranty, altering the thermal pad to *only* contact the controller chip can improve efficiency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

my kinda ape posted:

What if your motherboard came with one

Use it, or don't, it probably makes no difference to the average pc enthusiast.

(And many mobos have heatspreader plates that are also how the drives physically secure down, in which case of course you should use them.)

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I've heard that if you can stomach the idea of potentially compromising a small part of your motherboard's warranty, altering the thermal pad to *only* contact the controller chip can improve efficiency.

This sounds like an idiot idea that could hurt the mobo warranty *or* destroy the drive by shorting components against bare metal where the thermal pad used to be.

The question is where will you notice the extra 100mb/s sustained transfer speed outside of some benchmark?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Then I guess all the laptops where you see a thermal pad over the SSD controller chip (so it contacts the RF shield and uses it as a sink) and not the NAND were designed by idiots.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Then I guess all the laptops where you see a thermal pad over the SSD controller chip (so it contacts the RF shield and uses it as a sink) and not the NAND were designed by idiots.

An enclosed laptop with zero ventilation and a big open case with 3+ fans are quite different environments.

Plus they probably measured carefully to know that things aren't moving around and they won't have problems. For some of these mobos where the plate itself is the retention mechanism, the springy contacts in the m.2 slot are pushing the stick out and the plate is pushing in. See where this could cause problems?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I hate m.2s so much with their tiny loving screws that disappear forever if you drop one.

Mobos that have the plastic push retention pins are cool though.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

priznat posted:

I hate m.2s so much with their tiny loving screws that disappear forever if you drop one.

Mobos that have the plastic push retention pins are cool though.

It pisses me off that they didn't use an existing, well known and used PC screw type for the job.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

If anything, they're in a race to see who can re-invent the wheel the most and in the most infuriating way. USB Implementers Forum is currently in the lead with its psychotic renaming of old standards to be as confusing as humanly possible.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

HalloKitty posted:

It pisses me off that they didn't use an existing, well known and used PC screw type for the job.

Or rather they should have used the well known SO-DIMM clips.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Saukkis posted:

Or rather they should have used the well known SO-DIMM clips.

See, that kind of intelligent thinking is why you weren't on the design team

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019
Will cloning a hard drive to a SSD decrease the SSD's lifespan?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Its Chocolate posted:

If you do it about 5,000 times in a row, yes

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Its Chocolate posted:

Compared to leaving it in the box? Yes.

Otherwise, no.

Why would you think this?

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019

FRINGE posted:

Compared to leaving it in the box? Yes.

Otherwise, no.

Why would you think this?

I don't understand SSDs

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Cloning an HDD to an SSD will induce roughly the same wear as installing an OS and restoring your data and apps to an SSD.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

SSDs do wear out as you write data to them, but copying a few hundreds gigs as a one-time thing will barely make a scratch in the lifespan of a modern drive. They are usually rated to endure hundreds of terabytes in writes before dying.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Its Chocolate posted:

In a lot of conditions, yes, by around half.

However Win7 onward SHOULD already account for this. To be on the safe side, instead of cloning just format it as empty and copy over the data.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

endlessmonotony posted:

In a lot of conditions, yes, by around half.

However Win7 onward SHOULD already account for this. To be on the safe side, instead of cloning just format it as empty and copy over the data.

What kind of SSD are you using that has such a terrible endurance rating that it can only be fully written to twice??

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

my kinda ape posted:

What kind of SSD are you using that has such a terrible endurance rating that it can only be fully written to twice??

Its solid state.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
You need to align the sectors to the pages and cloning software not aware of the hardware limitations doesn't necessarily do that.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

endlessmonotony posted:

You need to align the sectors to the pages and cloning software not aware of the hardware limitations doesn't necessarily do that.

Stop using Norton Ghost from 1999, then.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Geemer posted:

Stop using Norton Ghost from 1999, then.

It was an actual real problem in 2010, man. That was basically yesterday.

And still is using lovely Linux scripts as opposed to real cloning software.

Lytinwheedle
Mar 9, 2004
CHRONIC SHIT POSTER
I'm going to get a X570 motherboard soonish, and I'm wondering about which system drive to get. Since I do video and photography work, and play games, I wanted to get a 4tb main drive.

The most affordable is the Samsung 860 Evo 4TB, which is a SATA drive. (There is a Sabrent PCIe 4.0 4TB drive, but it's not supported or sold in Europe and costs about 300€ more)
For the same-ish price I can get an ADATA Gammix S50 PCIe 4.0 NVMe drive, which the mobo will support. Is the speed increase worth the price?

I wanted to wait for the announcements at CES, I'm going to assume that more manufacturers might switch to PCIe 4.0 there and maybe also offer larger capacity drives.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
Many x570 have two NVME slots so you could get two 2TB NVME instead as an option. Also worth noting that NVME over SATA mostly affects write speeds, read speeds are fine (especially for games).

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

My pc is too old and doesn't have a slot for M.2, so I figured I buy one of those pcie->m.2 adapter cards. But one of the comments on the store page said something about top speed being affected by the mainboard? What do I have to look for to make sure that even is a sensible option?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

mike12345 posted:

My pc is too old and doesn't have a slot for M.2, so I figured I buy one of those pcie->m.2 adapter cards. But one of the comments on the store page said something about top speed being affected by the mainboard? What do I have to look for to make sure that even is a sensible option?

The card needs to explicitly use pcie lanes and not be a sata card that happens to be powered by the pcie slot.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Also if the mainboard is very old it might top out at pcie gen 2 which has half the throughput of gen 3.

Still will beat sata’s rear end sideways though.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I thought of buying the Intel SSD 660p 2TB at 1800MB/​s. From a quick glance it seems like the cheapest/fastest option if I want a non-HDD 2TB drive (~ 200 Euro where I live). The Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB costs more or less the same but at half the read/write speed.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

mike12345 posted:

What's more important than top speed is compatibility. Older mobos / chipsets generally can't boot from a NVMe drive. If you don't already have a SSD that you're booting from you should just stick to sata, because you really want your OS on a SSD.

(Top speed is likely irrelevant if the PC is goes into is too old to support m.2, the rest of your system isn't fast enough to need it.)

mike12345 posted:

I thought of buying the Intel SSD 660p 2TB at 1800MB/​s. From a quick glance it seems like the cheapest/fastest option if I want a non-HDD 2TB drive (~ 200 Euro where I live). The Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB costs more or less the same but at half the read/write speed.

The 660p and QVO are both quad-level memory drives, which have some downsides. If this is a drive just for games and extra storage they're fine. If this will will be your main drive I'd avoid QLC for anyone who does things besides internet and games.

If you can find SanDisk Ultra drives where you are, they're a great option that's cheaper and better than a Samsung QVO. (Same thing as a WD Blue but different branding in some parts of the world.)

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

Klyith posted:

What's more important than top speed is compatibility. Older mobos / chipsets generally can't boot from a NVMe drive. If you don't already have a SSD that you're booting from you should just stick to sata, because you really want your OS on a SSD.

(Top speed is likely irrelevant if the PC is goes into is too old to support m.2, the rest of your system isn't fast enough to need it.)

The 660p and QVO are both quad-level memory drives, which have some downsides. If this is a drive just for games and extra storage they're fine. If this will will be your main drive I'd avoid QLC for anyone who does things besides internet and games.

If you can find SanDisk Ultra drives where you are, they're a great option that's cheaper and better than a Samsung QVO. (Same thing as a WD Blue but different branding in some parts of the world.)

Yeah, it's just for games and storage, the system is on a SATA SSD. I checked for San Disk Ultra but they're pretty pricy. Maybe I'll just wait until I build a new pc, but otoh the HDD is really old. eh.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

What's the best program to use to clone? My friend got me a SSD which i'm happy about but gently caress it's been a pain in the rear end getting everything ready.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Macrium Reflect has always been my go-to; the free version does everything I need to do when cloning drives.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Macrium works well, as does Paragon Hard Disk Manager.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I've still used nothing but Clonezilla ever since dropping Norton Ghost well over a decade ago.

Free, open source, tons of options, and network storage support. I use it for all setups (Linux and Windows), from Windows 9x to Windows 10.

Are there any reasons to not use it?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Xenomorph posted:

I've still used nothing but Clonezilla ever since dropping Norton Ghost well over a decade ago.

Free, open source, tons of options, and network storage support. I use it for all setups (Linux and Windows), from Windows 9x to Windows 10.

I used that back in the day but it was always a boot disc and it didn't always do all the sector alignment stuff. I'm sure it's been updated but most of the new utilities run in windows.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Xenomorph posted:

Nope, only reasons not to recommend it to other people, ie ease of learning.

Though after helping someone in the win10 thread with a macrium reflect issue about resizing partitions, software that doesn't have FAQ pages that point to instructional videos on youtube sounds pretty great, no matter how obtuse the text GUI is.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nand-ssd-prices-2020-going-up

Just because of a one minute power interruption?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Doesn't it ruin like a month's worth of product because of the way it's processed or something?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Remember that these are ovens running at temperatures of thousands of degrees, and the materials science involved is almost like witchcraft considering they're assembling at nanometer scale. The oven itself is too power hungry to run on battery and the process too complicated to simply continue where you left off.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
There was a similar power outage at a huge Toshiba+WB fab in 2019 and it didn't change prices at the consumer level, so if the Samsung incident has impact it'll be because the overall demand is growing again.

The new video game consoles seem like they'll have a TB of flash storage each. Probably QLC, but even then that's gonna be a fair demand spike. Plus nobody has been building more flash fabs the last two years.

But I'm skeptical that prices will actually rise by major amounts -- the big producers were slow-rolling their 96-layer production because of low demand, so they could be adding layers faster if they needed to. So buy a SSD now or the next few months if you need it for the coming year, but don't expect like SSDs this year are gonna be like GPUs during the bitcoin boom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Ovens are the least of the problems, you have ion implanters and layer growers and so on and anything being processed in those gets to be tossed because you just can't continue where you left off.