Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Manny Randazzo’s and Dong Phuong 4 lyfe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Manny Randazzo’s and Dong Phuong 4 lyfe

I hadn't had a Randazzo's until last year and I'll say it's the best I've ever had. I wish I lived close enough to get them on the regular.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

TheKingslayer posted:

I hadn't had a Randazzo's until last year and I'll say it's the best I've ever had. I wish I lived close enough to get them on the regular.

$55 and they’ll ship it to you!

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

the randazzo's praline one is so drat good

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

TheKingslayer posted:

I'm not much for baking but I love the regular ol' cinnamon king cake from Rouse's. I always end up going through a few.
I'm in this camp too. Why can't we just have king cake for breakfast year round?

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I liked Ambrosia's king cakes alright when we lived in BR. We paid to have one shipped to TX after we moved and it did not fare well. Same with one from Baum's. Shipping a king cake is too expensive for what you get.

Lilah's in Shreveport is really good, we usually pick one up when visiting family there.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Have your awesome wife make one.

She actually made this for Christmas and filled it with cranberry filling. It was delicious.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh wow, that looks great. Is she single?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

The_Doctor posted:

Oh wow, that looks great. Is she single?

She was 18 years ago. Now not so much.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Chicken and andouille gumbo for the game today lads, gonna be good. Twelfth Night isn’t until next week, plenty of time for king cakes and Monica sauce and better cheddar and le Popeye dip and oysters etc

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Just a reminder that shrimp stock makes your kitchen smell awesome

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

Lol

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Project Etoufee was a success. But holy poo poo was that first bite spicy for some reason, almost like there was a bunch of cayenne right there. Very weird.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Shooting Blanks posted:

I really wish I could buy shrimp stock at the store. Granted homemade tastes better, but man it would make things easier and cheaper to just buy some pre-made if I don’t feel like going through the hassle of making it myself every loving time.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I. M. Gei posted:

I really wish I could buy shrimp stock at the store. Granted homemade tastes better, but man it would make things easier and cheaper to just buy some pre-made if I don’t feel like going through the hassle of making it myself every loving time.

Make a whole bunch at once and freeze it in containers.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

That Works posted:

Make a whole bunch at once and freeze it in containers.

This. Any time I have crabs/lobster/shrimp, I keep the shells and heads in a gallon ziploc in the freezer. Once it gets full I make stock. I usually get about a gallon of it and freeze it in four quart containers. I do the same with chicken/turkey bones (used the thanksgiving stock for gumbo last night).

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Phil Moscowitz posted:

This. Any time I have crabs/lobster/shrimp, I keep the shells and heads in a gallon ziploc in the freezer. Once it gets full I make stock. I usually get about a gallon of it and freeze it in four quart containers. I do the same with chicken/turkey bones (used the thanksgiving stock for gumbo last night).

Same for me.

Every now and then I make a larger batch of chicken and/or pork stock, strain and skim it, then reduce it down to around 1/3 to 1/4 of the original volume and dump this into ice trays. Once it freezes I dump the concentrated stock cubes into a ziplock and keep them frozen. Having a little block of stock concentrate is good for a lot of different applications as well.

And, if you folks make your own stock and aren't using a pressure cooker, you're missing out. It makes it a lot faster.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

That Works posted:

And, if you folks make your own stock and aren't using a pressure cooker, you're missing out. It makes it a lot faster.

yeah it breaks all the rules of the fancy french traditional version and generally will be more cloudy, but that's not a downside at all in this context. like 30-45 minutes at pressure for poultry is more than enough to extract so much gelatin from the bones that it sets up firm

also if you let the pressure come down on its own without quick-releasing, your shrimp stock won't smell up the house at all this way

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

:bisonyes:

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Sup HOME OF AMERICA'S OLDEST MARDI GRAS bud

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Sup HOME OF AMERICA'S OLDEST MARDI GRAS bud

Hell yeah. Looking forward to getting lit in Beinville square the next couple months. A few places even started selling Crichton Leprechaun plushes as throws and I'm hunting one.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

My wife and I usually save the thanksgiving turkey carcasses from our respective family gatherings to make stock for gumbo, but this year we didn't and now I'm sad.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
My girlfriend made an attempt at a king cake. It asked for sour cream and came out a little dry and way too much like bread than king cake. The taste was there though oddly enough. Anyone have a good recipe so I can make my own instead of driving back to LA for cakes?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I don't have a recipe, but sounds like you could adjust the recipe you have if it already tastes right.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

poemdexter posted:

My girlfriend made an attempt at a king cake. It asked for sour cream and came out a little dry and way too much like bread than king cake. The taste was there though oddly enough. Anyone have a good recipe so I can make my own instead of driving back to LA for cakes?

This is almost a style preference - one of my friends here in New Orleans makes a king cake that is by design dryer and closer to bread than other recipes. Others are more like cinnamon rolls.

Here's a pretty classic recipe (Junior League of Lafayette):
https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/entertainment_life/food/article_8f8aa08c-c539-5fbf-8de4-4b6520908232.html

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
If I can find all of the ingredients here in the middle of Canada, I'm going to attempt a roux based gumbo this weekend.

I am not the most accomplished cook, but I can follow instructions well so hopefully I don't mess it up.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

CommaToes posted:

If I can find all of the ingredients here in the middle of Canada, I'm going to attempt a roux based gumbo this weekend.

I am not the most accomplished cook, but I can follow instructions well so hopefully I don't mess it up.

If it's your first time I'd suggest making the roux separate and quenching it with some stock when it's dark. Then sweat down your veggies separate and combine after. Once you get the hang of making the roux it's easier to make them altogether at once.

If you're decently experienced with cooking then ignore me though.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

I'm so happy! I just found out that the new grocery store near me carries tasso. Guess I need an excuse to make gumbo soon!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Made some grillades and grits. This was Emeril's recipe I found online. It was very easy and delicious, just let it sit for a couple hours and the meat was tender and tasty. I would season it a bit more but that's for taste.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Some jambalaya right before I got it simmering and slapped the lid on.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Made some grillades and grits. This was Emeril's recipe I found online. It was very easy and delicious, just let it sit for a couple hours and the meat was tender and tasty. I would season it a bit more but that's for taste.

fuuuuuuuuuck that looks amazing

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

It's been way way too long since I made grillades and grits.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Hey goons, I found this dump of recipes. Maybe you'll enjoy them, maybe you already know them all. I dunno, but I'm looking forward to trying a few when next I have to go shopping.

Cooking For The Soon To Be Dead

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

neogeo0823 posted:

Hey goons, I found this dump of recipes. Maybe you'll enjoy them, maybe you already know them all. I dunno, but I'm looking forward to trying a few when next I have to go shopping.

wanna eat a bunch of this

:hmmyes:

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

neogeo0823 posted:

Holy poo poo, my grandmother has this exact cookbook on her counter. For an ironic twist, she lives in Pierre Part, I call her mawmaw, and her last name is Landry (maiden name Breaux).

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I'm pretty sure my mom has that book in her collection too, and I've never seen her cook anything out of it because that title
is 100% accurate.

That said, I made shrimp etouffee a few weeks ago and I put in a fair bit more butter than my normal, because I thought it was gonna be a bigger quantity than it turned out to be. It was pretty drat good.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

My wife and I did New Orleans last summer for vacation and had a blast. We're foodies and enjoyed pretty much everything we ate. Honestly, the best thing I had was an okra and shrimp stew over rice from the lunch counter behind Hobnobbers on Carondelet. Anyone got suggestions or a recipe on how to recreate that? Google isn't much help. Being cooped up, I'd like to take a swing at it. According to the menu, it's the smothered okra with shrimp and sausage.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Dik Hz posted:

My wife and I did New Orleans last summer for vacation and had a blast. We're foodies and enjoyed pretty much everything we ate. Honestly, the best thing I had was an okra and shrimp stew over rice from the lunch counter behind Hobnobbers on Carondelet. Anyone got suggestions or a recipe on how to recreate that? Google isn't much help. Being cooped up, I'd like to take a swing at it. According to the menu, it's the smothered okra with shrimp and sausage.

I'd start with a shrimp and sausage etoufee recipe and add okra and see how close you get first with that.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Was it tomato-based stew? If so then I would try something like this:

https://www.cajuncookingrecipes.com/cajun/smothered-okra-tomatoes-with-shrimp.htm

Or shrimp creole:

https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/shrimp-creole

Étouffée is something different and also delicious, but no tomatoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Oooooohh I am about to make the poo poo out of this