Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

If you're deep into modding, epoxy or attach a strip of magnetic stainless to the sides and then use a small magnet to hold the bag at the desired height.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Zarin posted:

For weight, I've pretty much decided that it wouldn't be too hard to just vacuum-seal some smooth river rocks or something, but I don't know how I would go about attempting to clip it to a food bag, then, since any clip I can think of has a steel spring in it somewhere.

What have you guys used to solve these problems?

Couldn't you just seal the rocks or whatever in a small bag and just throw them in with the food? No clipping required.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
What’s the problem with a steel spring in your clip? I binder-clip forks and spoons to sink bags all the time.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

toplitzin posted:

If you're deep into modding, epoxy or attach a strip of magnetic stainless to the sides and then use a small magnet to hold the bag at the desired height.

I think over time, even stainless will rust, especially if it is submerged for most of its life. It'd be up against the wall too then, hmm.

Carillon posted:

Couldn't you just seal the rocks or whatever in a small bag and just throw them in with the food? No clipping required.

Hmm, I hadn't considered this one. But yeah, it probably wouldn't be real hard to create a small pouch of rocks. I'd have to wash it, but it's an idea! I hadn't considered putting a weight in WITH the food; I'd always been thinking of it as a separate add-on. Interesting . . .

eddiewalker posted:

What’s the problem with a steel spring in your clip? I binder-clip forks and spoons to sink bags all the time.

What kind of binder clip?

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

https://anovaculinary.com/anova-hacks-floating-bags/
anything weighty should work(anova suggests pie weights amongst others) but should be sealed into a bag by themselves

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I like putting a decently strong magnet in a ziplock back sealed in with whatever I'm cooking, then another magnet underneath the vessel. Probably wouldn't work with a cooler rig but does great with my cambro.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Elizabethan Error posted:

anything weighty should work(anova suggests pie weights amongst others) but should be sealed into a bag by themselves

Thanks, I'll give this a read!

Inspector 34 posted:

I like putting a decently strong magnet in a ziplock back sealed in with whatever I'm cooking, then another magnet underneath the vessel. Probably wouldn't work with a cooler rig but does great with my cambro.

I like this idea; when I figure out what kind of rack I want at the bottom of the cooler, I could just glue a magnet or I guess vacuum-seal some iron/steel/stainless and glue/permanently affix that to the rack to keep it down.

Thanks everyone!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Elizabethan Error posted:

this works fine, but will cause indentations in the food depending on how it’s placed inside the outer bag

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that
for now i just throw a plate on top of the bag(s).

i'm working on a graphene metamaterial spray-coating for the bags, though. i think this should allow me to use a wave generator and a few special-ordered fractal antennas to keep the bag centered between two swept-laser planes (horizontal, more or less). refraction has been a problem, though. I didn't expect polycarbonate to have a higher index than water, so i'm working with UV lasers now but there's still some jank in figuring out the geometry for the receive side.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Cool

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Why not just use some sort of cookie cooling rack inside your container to keep things from the bottom? Those don't rust as long as they are fully underwater, and you can just pat them dry or blow them dry with a hair dryer afterwards.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Hopper posted:

Why not just use some sort of cookie cooling rack inside your container to keep things from the bottom? Those don't rust as long as they are fully underwater, and you can just pat them dry or blow them dry with a hair dryer afterwards.

I want to say that's where I started, but they did end up rusting after awhile. That's when I came to realize that the stainless plating on most items isn't 100% perfect. I mean, I never took them out of the water either because I just wanted to leave it in there forever, which may have been part of the problem I suppose.

Edit: Maybe it didn't rust as badly as I recall; I'll have to consider giving it another try, perhaps.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I see. Well, maybe if you want something that can be underwater for a longtime you should look at pool drain grids or something similar.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Pretty sure they also make food grade silicon kits so you can just coat your intended weight in it and go from there.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
I just use a stainless steel rack or a plate. But if you're really stressing out about it you know there are things that are literally designed specifically as s-v bag weights, right? Silicone-covered stainless, most of them.

Edit: some random product photos scraped from the first page of results from amazon. They all seem to run somewhere between US$10 and US$20 for a set of them:

SubG fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 2, 2020

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Lol if you don’t have your manservant Enrique climb K2 to carve your stone sv weights directly out of a Himalayan mountain.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

SubG posted:

I just use a stainless steel rack or a plate. But if you're really stressing out about it you know there are things that are literally designed specifically as s-v bag weights, right? Silicone-covered stainless, most of them.

Edit: some random product photos scraped from the first page of results from amazon. They all seem to run somewhere between US$10 and US$20 for a set of them:

Oh, hey, thanks! This is sort of what I started out thinking about looking for, so that helps! I guess I just didn't realize such a thing was being mass-marketed yet.

Phanatic posted:

Lol if you don’t have your manservant Enrique climb K2 to carve your stone sv weights directly out of a Himalayan mountain.

Enrique knows all about "variety of mineral element", bless him

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I have enameled cast iron trivets in a lattice pattern that make excellent weights.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
I use small plates.

They sink, are water proof and, hold temp.

And I had them in my kitchen already.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...
I'm cooking for a group of like 15-20 people this weekend, and I'm going to do some steaks (tri-tip or bavette) and chimichurri. I'll sous vide all of the steaks, probably 3-4 of them, for a few hours and then I'll need to finish them closer to the party. If I'm doing only one steak, I will always use a cast iron or stainless steel pan to finish so I can baste with butter, garlic and herbs.

For this amount of steak, I'm not too sure... I can either use a grill and forget the basting or replace it with some compound butter, or I can use a cast iron and do them one at a time. If I use a cast iron, I'm guessing I'll need to throw in new butter, garlic and herbs for each one. What do you guys think?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Random Hero posted:

I'm cooking for a group of like 15-20 people this weekend, and I'm going to do some steaks (tri-tip or bavette) and chimichurri. I'll sous vide all of the steaks, probably 3-4 of them, for a few hours and then I'll need to finish them closer to the party. If I'm doing only one steak, I will always use a cast iron or stainless steel pan to finish so I can baste with butter, garlic and herbs.

For this amount of steak, I'm not too sure... I can either use a grill and forget the basting or replace it with some compound butter, or I can use a cast iron and do them one at a time. If I use a cast iron, I'm guessing I'll need to throw in new butter, garlic and herbs for each one. What do you guys think?

Last time I did something like this I did it in cast iron with fresh herbs/butter in each round. Had a nice system going of opening the next bag, moving from the cast iron to the resting board, resting board to cutting board, and cleaning up the bags/sink/sous vide in kind of a one man assembly line. The first one had been sitting for all of 8 minutes by the time I was done.

Having said that, if you absolutely want everything done at the same exact time and hitting the table hot, then just use the grill and throw on the compound butter.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

ColHannibal posted:

I use small plates.

They sink, are water proof and, hold temp.

And I had them in my kitchen already.

I've been known to just grab a handful of steel spoons from my utensil drawer and throw them on top of whatever

You could probably also put them in the bag, they're stainless so whatever

kynikos
Aug 15, 2001
I just picked up an Iwatani butane torch for searing but then discovered I can't have the fuel canisters shipped to me due to yet another bullshit California law that I can't keep up with. Anyone know where to source them? Japanese grocery stores perhaps?

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

kynikos posted:

I just picked up an Iwatani butane torch for searing but then discovered I can't have the fuel canisters shipped to me due to yet another bullshit California law that I can't keep up with. Anyone know where to source them? Japanese grocery stores perhaps?

If you have a Mitsuwa nearby they should have them, also [Super] H Mart. You can also likely find them at WalMart (probably in the camping section) and other outdoor/sporting goods stores. They're used for lots of camp stoves and single burner stoves so they are pretty prevalent

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

kynikos posted:

Cursory Google search says Wal-Mart and Williams Sonoma have them, and Asian groceries are also a good bet.

Sorry for the Reddit, but there's photos of different canister interfaces that might be helpful.
https://www.reddit.com/r/AskCulinary/comments/aatqhc/butane_for_an_iwatani_torch/

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

kynikos posted:

I don't know that particular torch but the cans are prevalent, they look like a regular aerosol can but have a bayonet type fitting

kynikos
Aug 15, 2001
Thanks all! I have a Mitsuwa and H Mart near eachother so I'll check them out. Anyone have butane searing tips?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

kynikos posted:

Thanks all! I have a Mitsuwa and H Mart near eachother so I'll check them out. Anyone have butane searing tips?

Test it on your finger first to make sure its hot enough to sear your steak. :)

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

kynikos posted:

Get right up in that meat's face - you want the torch to be sudden and intense heat, not an inefficient oven. If you're using a searzall, you should have the torch head literally less than an inch away if possible. You'll get a feel for how the meat looks when it dries/browns/etc

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

kynikos posted:

I don't know much about shopping in California or what mitsuwa or H Mart are, but I have an iwatani torch and buy a six-pack of butane cans every ten years or whatever from my local garbage-tier restaurant supply store. They're real cheap.

I will also tell you that after experimenting with the torch, I now use it almost exclusively for lighting candles and my searing is done almost exclusively in a stupid hot cast iron pan.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
For weight I use a few feet of chain I got at the hardware store and put it in an X pattern over my bags. I can also separate bags by weaving it in between to keep the water in between.

Has worked for me for years.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
I have a "beer can" chicken stand that I use as both a weight when needed, as well as a rack on the bottom of the pot to aid in circulation around the package. Really fits the pot well, as if made for this purpose.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i made the porchetta, it's in the bag in my fridge and ready to eat tonight...worth it to make gravy from the bag juices (looks disgusting) or just make from scratch?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Fine-strain the juices at least, optionally use a fat separator.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Subjunctive posted:

use a fat separator.

Save the fat and make your roux with it, substituting 1:1 for butter.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

kynikos posted:

Butane canister alternative model #:
COLEMAN CO-FUEL 9701-700 Butane Canister, 8.8 oz
Sterno Products 50162 CPC 8 oz Butane Fuel Cartridges
GASONE CANISTERS FOR PORTABLE CAMPING STOVES

Pretty much searching for "butane canister" will pop up nearby results for compatible options. They're super common for use on tabletop butane stoves, so chinese/asian grocery stores will have them for hot-pot etc.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

CrazyLittle posted:

I love this advice.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Bag juices tend to have a bunch of albumin and gunk that gives a weird flavor. Bring it up to a boil for 5-6 minutes and then strain out the solids with a coffee filter. Then both the lipid and polar phase will be tastier and cleaner when you separate them out.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

CrazyLittle posted:

Well sure you don’t just throw out fat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kynikos
Aug 15, 2001

CrazyLittle posted:

Butane canister alternative model #:
COLEMAN CO-FUEL 9701-700 Butane Canister, 8.8 oz
Sterno Products 50162 CPC 8 oz Butane Fuel Cartridges
GASONE CANISTERS FOR PORTABLE CAMPING STOVES

Pretty much searching for "butane canister" will pop up nearby results for compatible options. They're super common for use on tabletop butane stoves, so chinese/asian grocery stores will have them for hot-pot etc.

Thanks, I ended up finding a four pack of the Iwatani canisters for like $6 at Mitsuwa. So far they work great!