Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Wives of samurai were trained in archery and spearfighting.

Ona bushi were a fun unit in Total War

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
bows also kinda speak to having a cleverness and direct contact to natural ways, which is a designation ladies stereotypically get. men master\create technological marvels to survive; women, when capable, are naturally magical and haughty, but are ultimately taught to respect men through the latter's outstripping, indefatigable determination and ingenuity.

in this model women and men are basically like humans and elves in the lord of rings books.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Dwarves are genderqueer, I will not expand on this

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Echo Chamber posted:

I don't think it's a uniquely feminine thing even with recent pop culture; with Hawkeye, Green Arrow, Legolas, etc.

Archery is simply seen as more inoffensive than guns when going for a wide audience.

Those characters have existed for decades; thinking about it, I'm pretty sure it started being a trend after The Hunger Games and Brave were released. Also, I distinctly remember there being multiple examples of a/the woman using a bow when all the guys get guns, though I can't name any specifically.

StashAugustine posted:

Both the men and women are stout bears with badass beards, what's there to expand upon?

MizPiz has issued a correction as of 02:10 on Dec 29, 2019

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

dwarves and wizards are obviously nerds, as is proven in neal stephenson's masterwork ready player one:origins

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Veep is the only one of them that portrays politics accurately

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

StashAugustine posted:

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Kender are volcels

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Veep is the only one of them that portrays politics accurately

Who’s BoJo from The Thick of It then? Ben?

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

Uncut Gems is one of the top 3 or 5 movies of the year. Just masterful - absolutely do watch it as soon as you can, it's absolutely visceral. I was screaming at my monitor multiple times through it, the movie is an incredibly anxious experience to watch, but in a good way.

agreed, it owned so hard, may need to see it again. so much happens in it, it's hard to keep track and remember it all

check out Good Time if you haven't yet!!!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Pancakes posted:

Who’s BoJo from The Thick of It then? Ben?

I don’t think Thick of It has a Bojo character. it’s more of a blair era show.

it was great in In The Loop when Malcolm finally gets owned, even if it’s the Iraq war

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Freaking Crumbum posted:

my wife hates previews with a passion and now that youtube exists and they're entirely superfluous, we know we can show up 15-30 minutes late for any given movie and miss nothing.

not sure if this is happening everywhere, but all the theaters here also show pre-preview-previews now, before the actual previews, where you get some mishmash of local advertising, almost-previews for different movies via brief cast interviews, and ads from coca-cola about empowering youth filmmakers or some bullshit.

yes and it's awful

i went to a 1:30 am showing of rise of skywalker and the actual movie didn't start until 2 am because there were so many previews/pre-preview ads

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

mysterious frankie posted:

dwarves and wizards are obviously nerds, as is proven in neal stephenson's masterwork ready player one:origins

Hey come on Stephenson doesn't deserve that kind of insult.

I still love the Baroque Cycle dammit.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

StashAugustine posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khhkzcwtUQc

?????

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

Hey come on Stephenson doesn't deserve that kind of insult.

I still love the Baroque Cycle dammit.

Yeah I was just trying to be clever without putting in much effort. I’ll cop to it.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Re: bows

In the chronicles of narnia susan gets a bow while peter gets the longsword. I didnt see the movies but I assume the same thing happens

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

just watched ip man 4 in theatres. this movie has ip man squaring off against white supremacist marines defending the honor of Japanese karate, which is a bit odd. nevertheless, a fun martial arts movie, and last of a dying genre.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Milhouse: when is Ip Man going to meet Bruce Lee!?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

They should have just remade a Bruce Lee film like they did with fists of legends(1992)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

i say swears online posted:

Re: bows

In the chronicles of narnia susan gets a bow while peter gets the longsword. I didnt see the movies but I assume the same thing happens

Lucy gets a dagger and a healing potion, though not really far off

She-Ra in both versions gives all the girls swords or magical powers while the one guy has a bow and is also literally named Bow

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

MonsieurChoc posted:

Wives of samurai were trained in archery and spearfighting.

naginata are a type of polearm, not a spear (yari)

:goonsay:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

jesus christ the opening scene of the mandalorian finale is good

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Lucy gets a dagger and a healing potion, though not really far off

I had to look that up, thinking Edmund got the knife. I thought she had just gotten the potion. Guess it's been 25 years

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

LGD posted:

naginata are a type of polearm, not a spear (yari)

:goonsay:

Well, looking at my copy of Legend of the Five Rings 4E, you're right!

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

MizPiz posted:

Does anyone know why every "badass warrior chick" uses a bow and arrow? I know archery has historically been considered less honorable (read: less manly) in the western world, but it seems like that over the past decade it's become specifically coded as a "woman's weapon". Am I the only one picking this up?

hunger games

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Folks we've talked a lot about CATS but there's an adventure in music that you should be watching instead:

Part 2 of Carole and Tuesday was just released on Netflix so there's no reason not to watch it anymore. It's directed by Shinichiro Watanabe, the guy behind Cowboy Bebop & Samurai Champloo, who is also probably the best music producer in anime. Carole & Tuesday is in continuity with Cowboy Bebop and takes place over a decade after the FTL gate disaster that made Earth a hazardous environment. Refugees to Mars are the cause of a political crisis that's becoming a presidential election issue. A poor refugee from Earth and a runaway rich girl meet each other by happenstance and form a musical duo that becomes a viral hit.

This is a show that lampoons the music industry as it exists today, while still celebrating music for its ability to bring people together. The ending is deeply naive, but the narrative is self-aware enough to recognize how idealistic it is and it ends up working anyway. The ending hinges on Hillary Clinton admitting she did something wrong. The real hook of the show though is that it ends up simulating for the audience the experience of discovering new good music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTQ1a3oB_kA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7uk8YfDFuw

That's Thundercat and Flying Lotus.

Carole is vocalized by Nai Br.XX, a black singer from Queens, and Tuesday is vocalized by Celeina Ann, a half-American Japanese musician.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxdLZ4a6gP8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk_aYhHqYk8

It's good, folks. It's the new anime for people who don't like anime.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

you didnt post the best song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtHhgHtvwzg

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Oh yeah. When the government starts cracking down on artists for political expression they don't avoid the fact that only black artists are getting arrested.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/WillSloanEsq/status/1211353681725206529?s=19

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Carole and Tuesday was good even if the ending was kinda disappointing but I also don't really know how else it could've gone. Point is that the music was very good and catchy and it was an overall fun show. Would recommend.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Seems pretty obvious the problem is normies

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

net work error posted:

Carole and Tuesday was good even if the ending was kinda disappointing but I also don't really know how else it could've gone. Point is that the music was very good and catchy and it was an overall fun show. Would recommend.

I thought the final song was saccharine and cheesy, doesn't really stand on its own like the others, but it still works thematically.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Instead of simply condemning the morals of the rich, Parasite lambasts the class system under which we are all trapped and tormented, bourgeois and proletarian alike. I think this gives the movie a wider appeal, as people may identify on either side of the class divide.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

There's also a good chance that liberals don't know how to recognize the dimensions of class war and think "yeah, GET THOSE RICH JERKS. Not like me, though. The good millionaire."

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

just as the worst slave owners were the good slave owners, likewise for capitalists

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Folks we've talked a lot about CATS but there's an adventure in music that you should be watching instead:

Part 2 of Carole and Tuesday was just released on Netflix so there's no reason not to watch it anymore. It's directed by Shinichiro Watanabe, the guy behind Cowboy Bebop & Samurai Champloo, who is also probably the best music producer in anime. Carole & Tuesday is in continuity with Cowboy Bebop and takes place over a decade after the FTL gate disaster that made Earth a hazardous environment. Refugees to Mars are the cause of a political crisis that's becoming a presidential election issue. A poor refugee from Earth and a runaway rich girl meet each other by happenstance and form a musical duo that becomes a viral hit.

This is a show that lampoons the music industry as it exists today, while still celebrating music for its ability to bring people together. The ending is deeply naive, but the narrative is self-aware enough to recognize how idealistic it is and it ends up working anyway. The ending hinges on Hillary Clinton admitting she did something wrong. The real hook of the show though is that it ends up simulating for the audience the experience of discovering new good music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTQ1a3oB_kA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7uk8YfDFuw

That's Thundercat and Flying Lotus.

Carole is vocalized by Nai Br.XX, a black singer from Queens, and Tuesday is vocalized by Celeina Ann, a half-American Japanese musician.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxdLZ4a6gP8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk_aYhHqYk8

It's good, folks. It's the new anime for people who don't like anime.

Where would you put it against Watanabe's other "I really like music" anime, Kids on The Slope

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The Cameo posted:

Where would you put it against Watanabe's other "I really like music" anime, Kids on The Slope

All of Watanabe's anime are "I really like music" anime, they just have a different genre theme. Kids on The Slope has a particular focus on animating the instrumental performance of musicians while C&T has more of a focus on the body language of singers.

Cowboy Bebop: the jazz anime
Samurai Champloo: the hip hop anime
Kids on the Slope: the jazz anime, but this time it's ABOUT jazz
Space Dandy: the disco/dance anime
Terror in Resonance: the post-rock anime
C&T: the pop music anime

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 22:46 on Dec 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

when will we finally get a jam band anime