Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Young Anakin is basically Bobby Hill

Awkward as gently caress, whenever anyone tells him to do something he's like "Ok"

Crazy talented at weird specific things, punches way above his weight class romantically

Is god to billions of force believers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I think the issue is that people cant survive while passed out and the body naturally trying to breathe because of it.

But lava works that you cant be near it because of heat and Anakin and Obi Wan bounced around with no heat transference on metal objects in the middle of it, so whatever.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

I think the bigger problem is what was the point of that scene, and why was the special effect so bad. I don't really give a poo poo about the plausibility of it, it's what it meant to the story, and the answer is that that was all in service of Leia being incapacitated. It's contrived and doesn't contribute anything, especially since Leia doesn't use her powers again.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
i thought the scene looked good (all of tlj looks good) but i mean the point is to bring Leias force sensitivity back to the forefront. Reminder Leia was meant to be the main focus of ep9 with RJ knowing he was going to have Luke sacrifice himself. He establishes that yes she can use the force but without having her going overboard (she's not force flying shes force pulling herself through zero G). presumably this would lay some ground work for leia to help rey in ep9. They did follow that through. it was always strange that JJ basically only had Leia react to hans death and nothing else really force related in tfa given the time gap from when we learn Leia has the force.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

We can argue about how plausible that scene is etc but ultimately it looked terrible.

Though not according to the the broke brains on twitter:

https://twitter.com/Aaron_Morgan/status/1206771271410814984

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Jerkface posted:

it was always strange that JJ basically only had Leia react to hans death and nothing else really force related in tfa given the time gap from when we learn Leia has the force.

She never really did much with the Force in the EU either, so it seems like that's a cue he took from what came before, even if it wasn't canon anymore. I think his Luke pretty clearly would have been closer to the EU version than the one we got was too.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Might as well have had Ysalamiri at this point.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Well saw the movie. It owned. Star war is back.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

The Little Death posted:

I think the bigger problem is what was the point of that scene, and why was the special effect so bad. I don't really give a poo poo about the plausibility of it, it's what it meant to the story, and the answer is that that was all in service of Leia being incapacitated. It's contrived and doesn't contribute anything, especially since Leia doesn't use her powers again.

Flying Leia, Holo-Luke, and Rey clearing the rocks at the end are three “miracles” that create new foundational myth for the reborn Resitance. The movie’s central question is “what are the Jedi even for”, and these signs and wonders are its answer.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

General Dog posted:

Flying Leia, Holo-Luke, and Rey clearing the rocks at the end are three “miracles” that create new foundational myth for the reborn Resitance. The movie’s central question is “what are the Jedi even for”, and these signs and wonders are its answer.

Buncha lovely fuckin wonders if you ask me

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
Leia being in mortal peril but the force saying "not today, Satan!" and allowing her to use the last of her will power to save herself is good.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

euphronius posted:

What are Jedi

Kind of a combination of priest, wizard and martial artist. I can readily believe that they would have developed techniques that would allow them to survive and function for a short time within the vacuum of space. Essentially the Jedi are, or at least were, normal beings who learned how to do certain things. That said, they're still normalish humanoid beings. If you stab on in the brain, he'll probably die just like any other normalish humanoid.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
After watching TROS I went back to TPM and really appreciated jar jar, so much so that I had to take a break from its greatness

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

General Dog posted:

Given that only a dozen or so people survived to report on them I wonder how a viable a reading of the film where those events didn't actually occur would be.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Schwarzwald posted:

Given that only a dozen or so people survived to report on them I wonder how a viable a reading of the film where those events didn't actually occur would be.

History would suggest that a dozen witnesses is enough

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Nobody being willing to resist after they destroyed the Starkiller Base was the dumbest part of TLJ anyway. Even the Empire wasn't able to scare everyone into submission, or they wouldn't have needed the Death Stars, but within days the First Order seemed to have put down all dissent. I don't think we saw anything in between then and TROS to justify an abrupt change to what we got at the end of that movie, but the initial reluctance to fight was never explained in the first place.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
It's weird because the surviving rebels are the only ones that would pass those stories on and if their cries for help were ignored, why is the galaxy suddenly listening when they say "Oh it was sick, we were saved by jedi Luke Skywalker showing up and stunting on these plebs in the first order".

Maybe the first order is doing propoganda for the rebels, telling everyone they would have won but a magic wizard showed up and defeated them, man the rebellion is cool. They do seem stupid enough to do that.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

euphronius posted:

What are Jedi

A miserable pile of medichlorians.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
I just rewatched the Leia scene and gently caress the last jedi looks so loving good.

Also do not get the greenscreen comment about leia, she is flying fairly loving horizontally and looks to be CGI anyways. Entire scene looks bonkers from the initial decompression explosion to her floating in front of the entire FO fleet foreshadowing luke at the end. All the little space dust particles and how they move when she starts using the force. Plus at the end her bisecting the supremacy hologram like Holdo.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Jerkface posted:

Plus at the end her bisecting the supremacy hologram like Holdo.

What a nice bit of symmetry it would've been if Leia had done the kamikaze attack instead of Holdo.

Yeah I don't get the complaints about the scene, it looks fine effects wise.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Who is the better villain:

Emperor Palpatine

Macavity the Mystery Cat

E: Honestly cats has stuck in my head a million times more than TROS. I can barely recall what happens in TROS but every scene of Cats is etched into my psyche forever now.

VVV For me it's Skimbleshanks

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Dec 29, 2019

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

The Little Death posted:

Emperor Palpatine

Macavity the Mystery Cat

E: Honestly cats has stuck in my head a million times more than TROS. I can barely recall what happens in TROS but every scene of Cats is etched into my psyche forever now.

One of the musical stingers from the mangojerry and rumpleteaser number keeps earworming back into my head and it is infuriating.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Rise of the sky walker was so bad it made me wonder if there actually is such a thing as a good movie. Really make's you think

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
I completely forgot why the dagger was important after she finds the wayfinder. I know it was important to find it, but was it important for something else?

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

The Little Death posted:

Emperor Palpatine

Macavity the Mystery Cat

Macavity is said to have broken every human law, pretty impressive since cats wouldn't be legally beholden to a lot of them, and he's never been caught.

Don't know if sheev was thorough in his misdeeds, but they caught up with him in the end.

Guilty posted:

I completely forgot why the dagger was important after she finds the wayfinder. I know it was important to find it, but was it important for something else?

They hadn't found the wayfinder when she thought it was important, after she did the Goonies bit looking at the Death Star wreckage through it the dagger disappears from the movie

Gnome de plume fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Dec 29, 2019

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

garycoleisgod posted:

It's weird because the surviving rebels are the only ones that would pass those stories on and if their cries for help were ignored, why is the galaxy suddenly listening when they say "Oh it was sick, we were saved by jedi Luke Skywalker showing up and stunting on these plebs in the first order".

Maybe the first order is doing propoganda for the rebels, telling everyone they would have won but a magic wizard showed up and defeated them, man the rebellion is cool. They do seem stupid enough to do that.

I think the idea was for sure meant to be that Kylo being owned in front of his men weakened his credibility as a leader, setting the stage for an episode 9 where the First Order is riven by internal conflict and divided loyalties between the crazy psycho wizard and the other guy who sucks also but at least seems kind of sane, relatively. I mean the rebels are all on the other side of the mountain hustling into the Millennium Falcon at that point, who else is there for Kylo to be owned in front of?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It's looking like TROS did less than $23 million domestic on the Saturday after Christmas. Woof.

PJOmega posted:

rumpleteaser

:heysexy:

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Some dude talking about the Obi-Wan vs. Anakin fight:

quote:

Visual effects supervisor John Knoll and stunt coordinator/fight choreographer Nick Gillard offer insight and trivia on how this epic clash on Mustafar was created, including the silly way the memorable "I have the high ground!" moment came to be.

Gillard recalls how Hayden Christensen and he used to live next to each other in Australia during production of Revenge of the Sith. “We would eat in this restaurant every night that was up a hill. You could walk up the road and down to this restaurant, or you could walk across a steep bank to it. For me, I always want the most direct route so I'm going for the bank, and [Hayden] hates walking on a slope, so that was in my mind about the higher ground. If I can get [Anakin] on the slope, Obi might have a chance,” Gillard explained.

quote:

Gillard offered more insight on the battle between Anakin and Obi-Wan, like what he saw as the biggest challenge.

“The Revenge of the Sith fight, the biggest challenge was just the length of it. It was 12 minutes long, and George wanted to at one point show it in its entirety. So we had to teach those two actors a 12 minute fight that traveled a kilometer,” Gillard said.

In previous lightsaber duels, the camera would often be undercranked in order to make the movement of the actors look slightly faster, but visual effects supervisor John Knoll said it was a testament to how good McGregor and Christensen got at the choreography that they no longer needed to use that filmmaking tricks.

“I'm pretty sure that we didn't do any speedups on anything with Ewan after [The Phantom Menace] ‘cause he just got to be so fast, and then became a point of pride for Hayden that he wanted to be as good as Ewan at doing that,” Knoll recalled.

Remember the part of the duel where the two combatants both throw out a Force push, only for them to cancel each other out before both finally get blown back? Gillard revealed that he had devised a different version that was ultimately scrapped.

“We had a different ending to that where they plunged their lightsabers directly into each other and that caused the percussion that blew them apart,” Gillard said.

Despite Obi-Wan cutting Anakin down to size, that’s not how Obi-Wan wanted things to end. Gillard reveals that he designed the fight so that Obi-Wan was trying to wear out Anakin in order to calm him down and set things right.

“I did write [the fight choreography] like a husband and a wife having a fight. Anakin thinks Obi is maybe having an affair with Padme at that point, so he's already gone to the Dark Side. For Obi, it's about just trying to absorb it long enough that he can get him back,” Gillard said.

How Ewan was able to deliver the high ground line without being in tears of laughter from knowing the origin of it is incredible.

Anakin hates sand, he hates slopes...

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
So after 3 movies, the best scene was when the random Storm trooper yelled "TRAITOR" at Finn

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I liked the scene were Rey made insta-bread. For that one moment I was like “oh, are these movies going to actually take the time to establish a universe where people actually live their lives and have to worry about money and eating and where to go to the bathroom?” and then it was all downhill from there.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

That seems slightly sped up but still, wow.

It's like reading old comics and it's crazy just how much stuff actually happens in a single issue, while most modern cape comics are decompressed to the point of being nigh-unreadable.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Chekovs gun except the gun only reveals where items are.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

If a knife is established in the first act, a small tape measure must be discovered inside of it in the second.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

It's looking like TROS did less than $23 million domestic on the Saturday after Christmas. Woof.

:heysexy:

It is sitting at under $600 million world wide right now. For a massive blockbuster movie, this is looking to be a bigger flop than Solo when you factor in expectations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Holy poo poo that's Tony Jay's voice.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
As is often the case, people are skipping over the more pressing question:

Why is Leia blown into space?

That is to say: why is there a scene where Kylo refuses to kill Leia, but Leia is blown up by some other pilots anyways, and then Leia unconsciously refuses to die? On top of this: why do we get a big, lengthy close-up of her face covered in ice with a meditative expression?

The reason is that Leia is presented as a Plant-Mother Life Spirit who does nothing but live and survive, and whatever. It’s in keeping with the facile imagery of grass and eggs (vs. skeletons and... broken eggs) used to illustrate Luke’s dualistic version of The Force. When Leia passes through the holographic image of Snoke’s ship, this establishes that her flight to the hospital bed parallels the flight of the crippled Resistance to its cave. They stand for nothing but being alive, of surviving as the ice-covered foxes survive.

However: it’s evident to everyone that Leia is a ‘spirit of life’ in the sense that she obscenely refuses to die - clinging to life in a near-literal vegetative state. Her adventure in the vacuum of space reminds of the plant-alien in Life that stops at nothing to preserve itself. Blown out the airlock, it invariably crawls right back....

The film presents this in romantic terms, where Life is Light, but it’s anything but. Perhaps it’s a conscious reference to Jurassic Park and its mantra that “life will find a way”, but Leia is not a hermaphroditic velociraptor. Leia stands for homeostasis. Her explicit goal is to prevent anything interesting from happening.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
The Rise of Skywalker would have been much better if they'd gone with that and just mutated Leia into a hermaphroditic velociraptor.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The fanart is out there somewhere.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

The most unintentionally hilarious scene in RoS is the one where Rey is wrapping up the Skywalker lightsabers, and J.J. Abrams, in his infinite wisdom, decided he needed to show Rey wrapping them from all angles in quick succession

The editor of Bohemian Rhapsody would be proud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Having mulled it over, one of my personal irritations with the new trilogy is that the Wars part of Star Wars moved from being inspired by classic war movies to being inspired(?) by superhero movies. The Rebel Alliance was an organized military faction that creates operational plans and builds bases; the Resistance are a bunch of nomadic bandits who largely just knee-jerk react. Luke joins an organized squadron of starfighters as Red 5; Poe is the pilot-leader of a spacegoing DND band of differing fighters. ROS borrowed the camera shots and verbiage of the original series without bothering to do things like show pilots covering eachother in rehearsed maneuvers.

Also someone pointed out that the star destroyers are all being shot in the dick. ROS is the most emasculating film ever created.

tadashi posted:

My response to every critic has just been surprise that they were expecting a sequel trilogy to the first two Godfathers or some poo poo. I don't think people who really hate these movies like Star Wars at all. Which I understand a lot more than hating the most Star Wars movie I can imagine.

You can make a lot of direct comparisons to the original trilogy where the original movies just do it better. They didn't have to make cinema of the ages, just like...do better.

like the Empire vs the First Order. ANH has the conference room scene which lays out who the Empire is (a degenerate republic), their concerns (keeping power over the galaxy, but they are having a hard time doing it), the role of the Death Star (the central plot around which the movie revolves), AND the place of the mysterious Vader within this organization. TFA has almost dick all in comparison. They have a fascist rally, helpfully pointing out that the guys in fascist uniforms are fascists. General Huxtable gives a speech about how they are blowing up the entire galactic republic because they are stopping the FO from killing the 100-man resistance.