Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

I bought myself a Christmas present after driving an E46 for a decade/into the ground

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Gorgeous! That's a great shot too. I'm back looking for an F31 like a buffoon and I'd love one in estoril blue but I'm probably gonna end up settling for white or black or something drab.

Also I'm mad BMW doesn't do Android auto also when my stupid rear end Nissan Rogue base model has no issues with it.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
They are starting with 2020!

Only a few years late.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

flightless greeb posted:

Also I'm mad BMW doesn't do Android auto also when my stupid rear end Nissan Rogue base model has no issues with it.

Day to day, I like idrive better than Auto.

On long trips, Auto is nicer for controlling podcast playlists. On drives to Chicago, Auto has better navigation around traffic.

I definitely yell at idrive a lot less than Auto.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is it possible to switch from android auto to apple whatever and the other way? Is this yet another annoying feature I have to look out for when buying a used car? "Oh, this car would be perfect, but it's the wrong phone."

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Most cars support both, just plug in your phone. They are separate apps, but can coexist just fine. Depends on what the manufacturer programmed into the head unit.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Yeah so far in my car search only older or fancy cars only support one and not both and it's usually Carplay.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

You can retrofit one of these into cars with iDrive CCC/CIC/NBT for both CarPlay and Android Auto. There are a few hitches but it's worth it. I wouldn't have bought a car with iDrive without this option.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
All well and good but what is the BMWUSA stance on this?

Presumably if it only piggybacks on factory wiring its fine but I'd like to know if anyone has anecdotal evidence before I spend 600$ to potentially invalidate the warranty.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

If something related to the head unit goes bad, not their problem. Shoulder affect anything else.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

You can retrofit one of these into cars with iDrive CCC/CIC/NBT for both CarPlay and Android Auto. There are a few hitches but it's worth it. I wouldn't have bought a car with iDrive without this option.

So you're using one of those? I've looked at the ones from bimmer-tech as well but those avin ones are on a pretty hefty discount right now.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Alarbus posted:

They are starting with 2020!

Only a few years late.

I guess BMW continues its slump downmarket. :wotwot:

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 28, 2019

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

fknlo posted:

So you're using one of those? I've looked at the ones from bimmer-tech as well but those avin ones are on a pretty hefty discount right now.

I've been looking in to the avin one as well for my F10 as it's getting pretty old at this point. I'd love to hear from anyone that has experience with it. Also I think they're basically always 'on sale.'

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010
Well guys, I took the plunge. 02 E46 M3 with 92k miles for 10k. Cars being brought down from Colorado to Texas later this month. First order of business is changing rod bearings. Anything else I should tackle while I'm in there? I'm going to install the Beisan Systems Vanos kit for sure and I'm debating sending in the oil pump to to VAC Motorsports for an overhaul and upgrade while the engine is out of the car.

Here's hoping I don't regret this decision :shepspends:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Diametunim posted:

Well guys, I took the plunge. 02 E46 M3 with 92k miles for 10k. Cars being brought down from Colorado to Texas later this month. First order of business is changing rod bearings. Anything else I should tackle while I'm in there? I'm going to install the Beisan Systems Vanos kit for sure and I'm debating sending in the oil pump to to VAC Motorsports for an overhaul and upgrade while the engine is out of the car.

Here's hoping I don't regret this decision :shepspends:

Check engine light and airbag light on? Did you get a ppe? How long has the seller had it? Fresh ebay //////m stickers on a road rashed front is another flag. What's the spot on the top of the driver's fender?

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Dec 29, 2019

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Ambient air sensor missing too. Have the RACP looked at by someone who knows what to look for.

Could be worse for a 10k E46 M3 at this point :v:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

Yeah, it's a $10k E46 M3. I'd expect more lights on.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

meatpimp posted:

Check engine light and airbag light on? Did you get a ppe? How long has the seller had it? Fresh ebay //////m stickers on a road crashed front is another flag. What's the spot on the top of the driver's fender?
I assume the lights are because it's in ACC mode. If not, dang.

fknlo posted:

I have the newest one they released a couple months ago in my e92. It's great with a few caveats:

- The support you get by buying AVIN rather than one of the identical cheaper ones on alibaba is not that great. I haven't needed to run a warranty RMA yet, thankfully, but I suppose that's one reason to buy from them, assuming they honor it.
- The instructions are rear end poo poo. Seriously, the worst I've seen. If you need help, totally PM me, I am happy to save you some time.
- The volume controls on the steering wheel work but the track changing doesn't.
- Audio is run through the headphone jack, which is way inferior in quality to the bluetooth audio. If your car has Bluetooth audio, and you're using carplay or android auto, buy the wired adapter and you can continue to use the Bluetooth over the factory iDrive unit for audio while using Carplay for the interface on the AVIN. Another potential option is one of these, I haven't tried it and don't know how good it sounds though.
- I think I am in the minority on this but I have been having an issue with carplay audio "skipping" during playback, like a bad CD. Hooking my phone up straight to the headphone jack fixes this, so I've just been rolling with that for a bit, but it may have been fixed in an update.

Despite the issues I'm pretty satisfied, having CarPlay is a godsend.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Dec 29, 2019

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I assume the lights are because it's in ACC mode. If not, dang.

Tach is showing 1200rpm.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

:gonk:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Despite the issues I'm pretty satisfied, having CarPlay is a godsend.

I've considered just grabbing the cheapest iphone that does the current carplay and just tethering off my regular phone too.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I'm the 180mph in that car

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Maybe it's coming from the VW world, but I'd pretty much expect the dash on anything 3 generations back to be lit up like a christmas tree just like that.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

fknlo posted:

I've considered just grabbing the cheapest iphone that does the current carplay and just tethering off my regular phone too.
iPhone SE runs the latest CarPlay/iOS, is cheap, and is the best phone you can buy with money, hth.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
They’re talking about DIYing rod bearings and vanos so if there are a couple lights on they may be handy enough to take care of the problems.

Always cool to see another e46 M in the thread

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010

meatpimp posted:

Check engine light and airbag light on? Did you get a ppe? How long has the seller had it? Fresh ebay //////m stickers on a road rashed front is another flag. What's the spot on the top of the driver's fender?

Nope, no ppe. Trust me I had debated it over and over but the seller is a personal friend of mine who works 120+ hours a week so I didn't feel like asking him to PPE the car for me when he's already cutting a deal on it for me. Plus I figure theyre going to tell me the standard E46 M3 problems. Vanos, rod bearings, cooling system, sub frame plus all the other host of problems that come with a sub 100k mile car.

The seller is a personal friend of mine who bought the car with a blown SMG transmission from a used car lot and converted it to a 6MT. He's had the car for roughly a year fixing up misc things with the intent to flip it but didn't touch any of the big E46 M3 items. He only recently listed it up for sale so he can go back to building his 1UZ 240sx.

He said he doesn't know why the service engine soon light is on but is the SES light the same as check engine on a BMW? I'm thinking it is since I googled E46 CEL and I didn't see a specific CEL light.

As far as the airbag light is concernd my buddy said he had the airbag recall done but thinks it may be related to the seats? Who knows, my other fun car is a Miata with a roll cage bar that rests against my head and a Momo wheel with no airbag. Between driving sketchy miatas and riding motorcycles in Austin traffic today is a good day to die.

Worst comes to worst I turn around and sell this thing for what I paid for it give or take a thousand dollars. If I really love it I'll sell both of my Miatas and turn it into my dedicated Track car. As it stands I bought the car for a fun project to work on and drive once a week or so to work.

BlackMK4 posted:

Ambient air sensor missing too. Have the RACP looked at by someone who knows what to look for.

ambient air sensor is in fact dead. I believe theyre only $50 or so. Shouldn't be a terrible thing to fix. As far as the subframe is concerned there's no clunking at the moment. Although I do suspect I'll be buying a welder or stripping the rear of the car and flat bedding it to a shop to have it taken care of it at some point.

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

They’re talking about DIYing rod bearings and vanos so if there are a couple lights on they may be handy enough to take care of the problems.

Always cool to see another e46 M in the thread
Bingo. Thanks for the kind words.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Hell yeah, more e46 M3 content is always good. Welcome to the club.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIjkrKmYdDA

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

The E46 is excellent. If you’re tackling the double vanos thing you’d probably want to do the valve adjustment too if it hasn’t been done at Inspection 2 which I believe is 60k miles on that. If you got it for 10k and budgeted a couple grand for misc BS you’ll do just fine. New Michelin PS4S would also make for a nice addition and should complement your Texas weather well.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Please make a thread or post about your progress on that E46 M3 here. Would be interested to follow it despite not having one.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Goonspeed, sight unseen e46m3 goon.

Kotex, I appreciate the context, that has very nearly axed the idea of the aftermarket radio for me as I have the greatest Android phone ever made which started the no-aux-jack craze, :q: the Essential and I use it pretty exclusively for audio. I'm addicted to the fuckers and will keep buying them until supply runs out on Swappa. I'm on my 3rd. I'm broken. :negative:

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
About to sell my 318ti and become a 2 BMW household. What is the world coming to?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Lightbulb Out posted:

About to sell my 318ti and become a 2 BMW household. What is the world coming to?

u still kept all the good e30s so you're good m8

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

BraveUlysses posted:

u still kept all the good e30s so you're good m8

They even have their own private bath now.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I just bought a tunai Firefly to do Bluetooth and I'm enjoying it so far. It's USB plug for power and an aux cord. Turn my car on, it turns on and connects, I'm podcasting. The last thing I had I had to manually turn on. And I don't have to have a dumbass screen in my car.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Crunchy Black posted:

Goonspeed, sight unseen e46m3 goon.

Kotex, I appreciate the context, that has very nearly axed the idea of the aftermarket radio for me as I have the greatest Android phone ever made which started the no-aux-jack craze, :q: the Essential and I use it pretty exclusively for audio. I'm addicted to the fuckers and will keep buying them until supply runs out on Swappa. I'm on my 3rd. I'm broken. :negative:
To clarify, the head unit itself outputs audio via an aux cable, so assuming you don't have the skipping issue it should work fine even if your phone doesn't have a headphone jack.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Ah, okay I'm with you now. Hmm. Might be time to experiment. Let me find out how much replacing these two wheels that my buddy curbed the other night is going to be first though :(

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Wait, is this on your new M2? The Avin units are for older cars.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Their website indicates they support the M2.

No baseline Android auto support until 2021/22 M2s as "an updated version of iDrive is required" or some horse poo poo like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I'm not a big "Phone Guy" but my Android connects to my M2 via bluetooth and I can use it to play music that way.

What's the big feature from Android Auto?