Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Original game spoilers are free, keep what happens in this one under wraps for now

It's the Final Fantasy, again! The seventh one, again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flMaZVapb4I

Synopsis posted:

The world has fallen under the control of the Shinra Electric Power Company, a shadowy corporation controlling the planet’s very life force as mako energy.

In the sprawling city of Midgar, an anti-Shinra organization calling themselves Avalanche have stepped up their resistance. Cloud Strife, a former member of Shinra’s elite SOLDIER unit now turned mercenary, lends his aid to the group, unaware of the epic consequences that await him.

The story of this first, standalone game in the FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE project covers up to the party’s escape from Midgar, and goes deeper into the events occurring in Midgar than the original FINAL FANTASY VII.

Final Fantasy VII is a JRPG that originally released in 1997 for the Playstation 1. This is not that game. This is Final Fantasy VII Remake (Part 1), an Action RPG... in HD!! currently exclusive for the PS4. This game covers the first section of the original game and takes place in Midgar only. The demo will Soon be upon us, according to leaks, so let's get this thread on tracks!

STORY

quote:

Mako─the lifeblood of the planet and the fuel that powers the city of Midgar...

By exploiting this resource through their Mako Reactors, the Shinra Electric Power Company has all but seized control of the entire world. A ragtag group of idealists, known as Avalanche, are one of the last bastions of resistance.

Cloud, an elite SOLDIER operative turned mercenary, takes part in an Avalanche operation to destroy Mako Reactor 1 in the city of Midgar.

The bombing plunges the city into fiery chaos, and amidst the raging inferno, Cloud is tormented by visions of a bitter enemy long thought dead.

After this hallucination fades, he meets a young woman selling flowers, who offers him a single yellow blossom.

In that instant, a host of swirling shadows surround them.

Once more begins a story that will shape the destiny of an entire world.

With new HD faces in new HD places, the story as well has been changed from its Perfect, Pristine Form it had in the original game, with more and extended scenes meant to breathe more life into Midgar and its characters both old and new. Yes, the Honey Bee Inn is still here, as is Cloud crossdressing.

Again, to keep it clear: we can't expect everyone to keep the events of the original story, now over two decades old, spoiler-free. That said, if someone comes in here and says they barely know anything that happens in the original, don't be an rear end in a top hat. It worked in Elentor's fantastic Let's Play of the original, it can work here.

GAMEPLAY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEGRZ8itn7g

Okay I'm not gonna lie this combat system looks cool as h*ck and is the thing I'm most excited for. The bare essentials of the combat system were first explained in this segment from E3 2019 at 4:30, so if you want the barebones on how this works, check that out.

Quick rundown: It's an action game where you hit the Square button to attack. You have bars called ATB that fill in over time, and fill quicker as you land normal attacks. Once you've filled a bar, you can issue a command, such as using magic, items, or special attacks, which will then deplete one or several bars. You can either bind these commands to shortcuts, or press the X button to enter Tactical Mode, where you can select commands from a regular menu à la Final Fantasy VII.

There are currently four characters known to be playable: Cloud, Tifa, Aerith and Barret. Each character has a unique command available via the Triangle button, as well as their own Abilities and Limit Breaks. You can freely switch between who you play as with the press of a button, and you can also issue commands for the other characters to do. Perform your abilities in tandem and form combos and you get some bonuses during combat!

To use spells and certain abilities, you must insert materia into your equipment. Different effects can be achieved by combining different materia in certain ways. In the above image, Cloud's Buster Sword has two materia slots that are linked together. By putting the Ice Materia into one, which lets Cloud cast the Ice spell, and the Elemental Materia into the other slot, the Buster Sword now deals additional ice damage with every swing. Materia can be leveled up to increase their effects, and equipment can also be upgraded to add additional slots and other neat stuff.

FAQ

Holy loving poo poo I'm so loving excited for the Final Fantasy VII Remake Part 1, Jesus gently caress, I need to consume every screen and video for every minute detail, can you please help me aaaaAAAa
I cannot, but this dude on youtube has several 20-60 minute long videos going over absolutely everything released in incredible detail. I recommend checking out some videos if you're bored and very excited.

Is this really only going to cover the Midgar section of the game? That's only a couple of hours long in the original!
Aye. New characters, bosses, areas, minigames and gameplay segments have been added to add some meat to the bone. Personally, I expect a 20-25 hour long main story, with optional stuff adding to that. I don't have anything to base that on!!

Part 1? How many parts will there be?
Square has begun work on Part 2, and it is currently unknown how many parts it will eventually end up being. Expect 3.

Hey, the voice actors sound different.
Yeah, the whole English troupe has been recast. Their old voice actors will still play them in other FF related media.

Zarin posted:

Will we get all the available trailers linked in the OP?

I dunno, will you?
yeah okay

The Old Ones
When the game didn't yet exist, not really

Original announcement from E3 2015
Gameplay from December 2015

The Actual Game

May 2019
June 2019
E3 2019
September 2019
December 2019

Earith.

Terper fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Apr 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In for unnecessarily detailed Earisu hair.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Dec 29, 2019

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

This is gonna be a train wreck and I'm gonna get it

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

In on the ground floor to watch the thread turn on itself after release (bit hopefully not)

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Kinda weird that it got a full on remake before a new translation to just fix the oogy parts of the original, right?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I will never say Aerith for as long as I shall live.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

OnimaruXLR posted:

Kinda weird that it got a full on remake before a new translation to just fix the oogy parts of the original, right?

The original got at least two retranslation passes by now. The people in charge of the new translation passes did a... I'm gonna say a better job than they get credit for, I think.

From time to time I post translations of certain game parts that haven't been covered by Kotaku's translation. Some of the new translation passes fix issues that are important for the plot and, at the same time, are imperceptible if you don't know where to look.

For all the problems the game has, the notion that the game's story is hard to understand because of the translation is, at least in my opinion, a bit of an overstatement, if you know what I mean. The translation certainly didn't help but the original script is... very confusing and very hard to translate. It's almost puzzle-like. Fake/Real Sephiroth and Fake/Real Cloud are identifiable by the specific words and honorifics they use, in the original. This obviously isn't made explicit, so you're expected to either get immediately or have a Fight Club moment when playing for the second time and noticing these details.

Also, the JP discussion of the plot points and confusion in JP forums is very, very, very similar to the same confusions that Western players had.

Edit: My Engrish is getting worse every day.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Dec 29, 2019

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The thread icon is layered like an onion, much like the story of Final Fantasy VII.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

exquisite tea posted:

I will never say Aerith for as long as I shall live.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If Nomura didn't think Aerith is pronounced as Aeris, and instead had to say it the proper way outloud I'm 200% sure that no one at Square would ever have changed the name.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

There might be a demo out soon. People discovered on Japan PSN a hidden profile page the demo version.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
Didn't pay attention to this for the longest time but now I'm extremely excited for it. I really hope they don't gently caress it up.

Thanks Terper for getting the thread set up!

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
Junon will be sick

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Ain't no gettin' off this train we're on.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I expect the game to be, gameplay wise, entertaining, but story wise, bad. I would be absolutely happy to be wrong about the story, and very sad to be wrong about the gameplay.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Aerith has an Aegis Reflector so she's the only character you should play as that's a pro tip.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Aerith has an Aegis Reflector so she's the only character you should play as that's a pro tip.

Aeris Reflector, surely

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Bregor posted:

That’s a nice looking earith

:hmmyes:

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Is Cloud gonna be a kinda scrappy weirdo who stands on tippy toes to taunt Barret to his face or more dull rear end advent children style?

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Based on the latest trailer, we might be getting sassy Cloud.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I want sassy bitch Cloud so badly. it was a big moment when I replayed FF7 (with the fantastic New Threat mod) a few years ago and remembered that Cloud isn't mopey for almost all the game, that was EU fuckery

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
if Cloud's dress isn't an optional costume you get to keep on for the rest of the game Nomura has failed

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I want sassy bitch Cloud so badly. it was a big moment when I replayed FF7 (with the fantastic New Threat mod) a few years ago and remembered that Cloud isn't mopey for almost all the game, that was EU fuckery

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I can't wait to play all the minigames in HD

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Since we appear to have Good Cloud and Good Aerith again, and we do appear to have Wall Market fun, I am excited for this game.

The rest of them, maybe not. But at least we will always have this one.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I can't wait to play all the minigames in HD

I am looking forward to all of the remastered mini-games, on top of the brand new ones we'll be getting too.

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer
I was very much* into FFVII back when it came out, but I can't justify buying a PS4 just to play it. That said if (when) it comes out for the pc I'm sure I'll buy a copy.

*way too much, holy poo poo

im red xiii's balls and taint in gloruous 4k HD

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I hope the extended time in Midgar means we get to spend more time with AVALANCHE before they all get murked.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I'm shaking with glee at how expanded the Cloud crossdressing segment has probably gotten

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

I hope the extended time in Midgar means we get to spend more time with AVALANCHE before they all get murked.

Hell I want them to get at least guest party member status, you don't really get to dick around with a full party for most of Midgar. And Red XIII doesn't even join until the last minute of that.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

W.T. Fits posted:

Ain't no gettin' off this train we're on.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Somewhere Selphie stares wistfully

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

No, that's getting off ON trains.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

FF7 was the defining moment of my gaming life when I got it. I was 12, and it was the first game on my brand spanking new Pentium II 350MHz PC. I played the gently caress out of it, and 100% it as I had the official game guide.

I'm now an adult man I don't expect this to be anywhere as good I want it to be, but I'm propably still gonna enjoy the poo poo out of it.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Fister Roboto posted:

No, that's getting off ON trains.

:yeshaha:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Let's mosey.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

looking forward to finally playing ff7 and rendering the definitive opinion as to whether it is in fact good

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
The March release of this game is perfectly situated for me to dominate the PS4 while my roommate commandeers our Switch for Animal Crossing.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Box of Bunnies posted:

if Cloud's dress isn't an optional costume you get to keep on for the rest of the game Nomura has failed

I liked in FF15 that you could give your guys different outfits.

That better be an option in this game.

I would never turn off 'Sailor Suit Barret' option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I've watched the trailers and I'm super buzzed by some of this new stuff they got going on. Spoilers for people who want to stay pristine or something but Some new SOLDIER guy? Earlier introductions with the Turks? Parachuting? Wonderful wall market shenanigans? Weird shadow ghosts that will totally tie the plot into kingdom hearts just my fanfictions foretold?

This looks tight.