Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
The new 90/360 Beat Saber modes are making me consider an Index again. Between the supposedly excellent tracking performance and the extra FoV over the original Rift, it's awfully tempting...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Turin Turambar posted:

In the adventure/puzzle genre I dug Shadow Point, and it's longer than Red Matter. It's much more puzzle centric, although there is still a plot as backdrop.

I got about a third-ish through Shadow Point before getting distracted by Beat Saber. I need to get back and finish it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
God drat, just started Meridia's quest in Skyrim. For those who don't know, when you start it you get rocketed up like 500 feet into the sky at mach 5 to talk to a god.

:barf:

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

EbolaIvory posted:

It blew my mind tbh. When I first played it, I was all "oh, this is just like me playing IRL, im really this bad, holy poo poo, why can't this be like a video game, ahhhhh". Its one of those games I just can't tell someone how "REAL" it feels or w/e. You throw someone in it though, holy poo poo.

I should get back into it. Its sickeningly good.
Does Eleven support Vive trackers on a paddle? (Or the specialty racket thing HTC sells)?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

ShadowHawk posted:

Does Eleven support Vive trackers on a paddle? (Or the specialty racket thing HTC sells)?

You can flash a tracker as a controller so yes, regardless of native support.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Beat Saber has a number of factors that mods expose into causing lag by overloading weak areas of the games core and Unity’s deficiencies.
I was running pretty smooth last night with a bunch of my usual mods running on 1.6, smoother than 1.5 was.

As far as overlay apps go, ovrdrop, and openvrdesktopoverlay are poorly coded and use a ton of resources, especially if you have a quad core.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Corbeau posted:

The new 90/360 Beat Saber modes are making me consider an Index again. Between the supposedly excellent tracking performance and the extra FoV over the original Rift, it's awfully tempting...

I really don't like the new modes. Novelty but not in a good way

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Aaaaaaaaaand..............unstoked. On both accounts.

Please someone tell me if I'm missing something here, but neither of these games are doing anything for me.

Speaking as someone who's always found H3VR frustrating and boring, you aren't contractually obligated to like a game just because other people do. If you aren't enjoying it refund and move on, there's a lot out there at this point and you don't have to try to force yourself to enjoy something that you just aren't.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

What's the go to PCVR flight sim/cockpit game these days? I loved the hell out of Ultrawings and wouldn't mind could go for more dinking around. I saw that XPlane is on sale and seems to be well received for VR shenanigans.
Edit- VTOL VR is also damned good. Made by an old KSP modder at that.

Completely separate, what is the state of the Quest store as of late? I took a look at my brother's and it seems dire. Selection isn't amazing and you can't even filter based on what has a demo available. Naturally you can do all sorts of dumb stuff with a PC and some gumption, but the stock experience seems a tad limited. It super sucks I can't gift him a game or send him a gift card or whatever. Still a drat fine piece of hardware though.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Any goons looking for a used Rift S? I don't use mine with Link being good enough for me and I was just going to toss it up on eBay, but thought I'd ask goons first in case they were interested.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Warbird posted:

What's the go to PCVR flight sim/cockpit game these days? I loved the hell out of Ultrawings and wouldn't mind could go for more dinking around. I saw that XPlane is on sale and seems to be well received for VR shenanigans.

Completely separate, what is the state of the Quest store as of late? I took a look at my brother's and it seems dire. Selection isn't amazing and you can't even filter based on what has a demo available. Naturally you can do all sorts of dumb stuff with a PC and some gumption, but the stock experience seems a tad limited. It super sucks I can't gift him a game or send him a gift card or whatever. Still a drat fine piece of hardware though.

Elite and WarThunder are both really good cockpit VR games, but less flight sim and more dogfighting or space sim.

Really wish Ace Combat had VR on PC. I think in theory in 2020 they could do that, but who knows.

DCS is pretty popular but I haven't played it myself.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Chin Strap posted:

I really don't like the new modes. Novelty but not in a good way

I hate the 360 one on a quest closest I’ve come to motion sickness

90 degree seemed pretty cool on some of the more basic songs, makes them a bit more interesting.

I can’t imagine how you do 360 chained to a cable

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Yesterday I tried ALVR in my Quest, which means it was the first time I fooled around with PC VR. I had a total 70ms latency but I hadn't adjusted my router. Still, it seemed ok for non-twitchy action games.
Google Earth was cool! The Lab too! SteamVR was confusing as gently caress! Although the real issue was not having a good way to recenter myself, and the moment I tried to do it with the Oculus button it would break things because it seems it moved everything in the Z axis and I was embedded in the floor, with no good way to fix it with the SteamVR options, I had to re-do the chaperone setup. I still have to think what I have to do to have a proper experience, if maybe disabling Oculus guardian so it isn't as confusing or what.

In any case VR with good graphics was cool :P Playing the little ship-in-hand bullet game was cool, someone should copy that idea into a proper game.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Warbird posted:

Yeah baby. I was gonna say it but you already figured it out. VTOL VR is the most engaging flight sim I've ever played. It's leagues ahead of interfacing with instruments by looking at them in other sims even if it's a little finicky flipping switches. There's not much variety and flight physics aren't remotely realistic but it feels good regardless. It's easy to pick up and learn to fly just by futzing around with each jet but it includes 4 short tutorials that teach you the crucial basics. Transitioning to/from VTOL and carrier landing without hover or altitude assist is nuts and it gets my palms sweaty like a video of some Russian hanging from a crane.

e; this dude does some sick flying and teaches some of the finer points
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgelw5UmJhA

treat fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Dec 29, 2019

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Warbird posted:

X-Plane is fully functional in VR and they actually implemented VR-specific controls pretty decently, but it has major framerate issues, as the developer is playing catch-up after decades of not caring about performance (dude said years ago that if a flight sims is running faster than 30fps, then you're wasting processing power :psyduck: ). If you have a powerful CPU and gut every setting that makes it even marginally pretty, then it'll run okayish via constant reprojection. I'm mad at X-Plane because I'd REALLY LIKE IT if it ran better.

DCS World, same story as X-Plane, though it can be tweaked to run pretty decently, especially if you use the VR Shaders mod (google it). It is primarily a combat sim, though you can run cargo/troop transport stuff with a Huey and what have you. I've owned DCS World modules since like 2006 and they somehow run worse now than before. I hate flight sim devs so much.

IL-2 Great Battles series runs pretty well in VR. It's not as heavy on the sim side of things as X-Plane or DCS World, in that most of your plane's systems are automated, so there's no switch flipping and you can play the game with like 10 buttons mapped. If you just want a very good flight model and don't care about doing the IRL full startup sequence for a Mustang, then it's a good option. Battle of Bodenplatte is my favorite, because it has an incredible plane lineup (P-38J, P-51D, P-47D, Tempest, Bf 109 K-4, etc.).

War Thunder (in Simulation difficulty) is even more simplified than IL-2, also eschewing clickable cockpits, and having a more forgiving flight model, but it feels reasonably realistic. If you run it in VR, set the in-game resolution to something like 1280x1024 to avoid scaling issues with the UI (this won't affect the rendering resolution of your headset). Personally, I think War Thunder is loads of fun in VR, especially when my brain is too tired to mess with DCS. It has a smattering of solo/co-op content, including standalone missions, a very simple dynamic campaign, and the ability to play normal War Thunder modes as compstomps.

While not a sim in any respect, Elite Dangerous is a joy to experience in VR. The physics are definitely simplified (it's pure arcade space physics; nothing you learned in Kerbal will apply anywhere in a substantial manner), but if you want something more Star Warsy that is still immersive within its own rules, then it's dope.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Am I correct in assuming both War Thunder and Elite don't allow a virtual control scheme ala Ultrawings (touch controllerà with virtual stick), but are either physical stick or controller/m+k?

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Shine posted:

I've owned DCS World modules since like 2006 and they somehow run worse now than before. I hate flight sim devs so much.

Gotta love deferred renderers :v:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

That Italian Guy posted:

Am I correct in assuming both War Thunder and Elite don't allow a virtual control scheme ala Ultrawings (touch controllerà with virtual stick), but are either physical stick or controller/m+k?

Can't speak for War Thunder but it is true for Elite. You can however use a (very alpha) mod for it: https://github.com/dantman/elite-vr-cockpit

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have a reasonably beefy computer (ryzen 2600x, 1080ti, 24GB) and DCS just murders it. I have no idea how you get playable frame rates in DCS VR with anything outside of a 2080ti and the absolute newest CPU. I’d assume even then you don’t get great performance

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I have a reasonably beefy computer (ryzen 2600x, 1080ti, 24GB) and DCS just murders it. I have no idea how you get playable frame rates in DCS VR with anything outside of a 2080ti and the absolute newest CPU. I’d assume even then you don’t get great performance

It runs fine until you crank poo poo through the roof tbh.

Tho. It crippled my 9900k + 2080ti when I crank that fucker to the moon.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is there a way to use push-to-talk in Payday 2 VR?
It's fun af but I really want to be able to talk to people, since using text chat is a pain in the rear end in VR and I don't want everyone to hear my constant labored nerd breathing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jack Trades posted:

Is there a way to use push-to-talk in Payday 2 VR?
It's fun af but I really want to be able to talk to people, since using text chat is a pain in the rear end in VR and I don't want everyone to hear my constant labored nerd breathing.

VR headset mics actually generally do a good job of not picking up breathing sounds. You'd need to like actively blow hard right on them to get it picked up.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
At what age can i start saying "yes" to children that might want to play with my 1st gen Rift? Anyone have experiences with kids and VR? My immense collection of sisters have taken it upon themselves to remedy the birthrate decline by themselves breeding non-stop and eventually at least one of the cute little shits will probably want to try it.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Dongattack posted:

At what age can i start saying "yes" to children that might want to play with my 1st gen Rift? Anyone have experiences with kids and VR? My immense collection of sisters have taken it upon themselves to remedy the birthrate decline by themselves breeding non-stop and eventually at least one of the cute little shits will probably want to try it.

I've put all kinds of ages into VR. Its really dependent on the child.

I try to stay around 10 at the youngest in booths and stuff (Exceptions to that rule always exist). Fully supervised its not a huge deal in most cases and you're not going to have a child in a headset for massive blocks of time. I've seen some kids as young as 6 pick up a headset, and figure poo poo out faster than the adults so really its the content and the kids you're dealing with.

In an arcade or something? Totally different story. But at home and stuff? Meh. Let em try it on. Worst case they don't like it or whatever.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

That Italian Guy posted:

Just buy a HOTAS

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Zaphod42 posted:

Just buy a HOTAS

I mean, I don't think I'm going to spend 500$ on a device I may use with a few selected games. Unless hotas are now way cheaper than they used to be (like kB+mouse 30$ cheap) this is probably not going to be a solution :v:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

That Italian Guy posted:

I mean, I don't think I'm going to spend 500$ on a device I may use with a few selected games. Unless hotas are now way cheaper than they used to be (like kB+mouse 30$ cheap) this is probably not going to be a solution :v:

I got one for $30 and its no flight sim rig but it makes war thunder and elite super fun

I found one of these on sale: https://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-T-Flight-Hotas-Flight-Stick-PC/dp/B001CXYMFS/ see if you can find a used one or something maybe

And if you just want a super cheap joystick there's other options there too:

https://www.amazon.com/Extreme-3D-Pro-Joystick-Windows/dp/B00009OY9U/

https://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-T-Flight-Stick-X-PS3-PC/dp/B000U1OOH4/

Like I spent over $1000 on my Fanatec sim racing setup, but if you were just a casual VR sim racer I'd say get the $100 Thrustmaster wheel first. Same with flight sims. It just happens most of the people into sims are more hardcore users so the market tends to cater to higher end equipment, but there's definitely some cheaper products if you look around.

Peripherals really make VR feel that much more real and convincing and immersive vs. motion controls / m&kb.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Dec 29, 2019

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Dongattack posted:

My kids (7 and 9) spend hours in rec room. The nine year old girl loves laser tag.

I hope they restock soon so I can replace my broken CV1 with a quest as they do miss it so.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

That Italian Guy posted:

They are. I bought a Thrustmaster T Flight HOTAS 4 for like $45. The one also goes on sale for similar prices. I use it exclusively for Elite and it does the job perfectly. The initial setup was a pain but I think they now have proper native bindings for it.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Dongattack posted:

My kids (9 through 14) all play the oculus quest without too much supervision. I am in the same room though.

The hassle is spending the initial 10, or 15, minutes showing them how to put it on, not break anything, and use the interface. After that they're off and having fun.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Dongattack posted:

If you get them playing Creed VR, you can punch them over the internet.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
I let my 4 year old nephew try my quest, the main problem is to find a game that will adjust height that low I've found.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Uhhhh can I not party on oculus anymore if I don’t have Facebook?

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Rolo posted:

Uhhhh can I not party on oculus anymore if I don’t have Facebook?

From what I've heard that's correct

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Chin Strap posted:

I let my 4 year old nephew try my quest, the main problem is to find a game that will adjust height that low I've found.

Hand size & what that means for being able to easily manipulate the grip and trigger buttons was frustrating for the little kids that have tried mine.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
gently caress you, Zuckerberg.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

DoubleT2172 posted:

From what I've heard that's correct

Lmao for real? gently caress me

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

punished milkman posted:

Lmao for real? gently caress me

I remember seeing something this or last week saying party and social functions will require a Facebook account now

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

That’s Zuck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

I got an Oculus Go for a Christmas present from my work and I hate it since I have to support Zuck to use it, I already have an index on order too so at least it gives me a little VR taste before the real thing shows up