Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
On a similar note there's a Ryobi electric snow shovel that I am very curious about. At $50 I'm tempted to just grab it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

where are you seeing one for $50?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

where are you seeing one for $50?

We had them in store for that price over the weekend, pretty sure they are still there. I don't think I saw them online?

If there's one thing I've learned from working here its never trust our website. I've found a ton of stuff over the years that's a tiny bit cheaper in store. Plus clearance stuff at a particular store. When I bought my Ego mower last year the price was still the same in the fall online but my store had already clearanced all of them down by like 50 bucks

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

do you know which model it is at your store? apparently ryobi sells several different types and variations of snow throwers. if you still work at home depot, you are correct about the website since it is only showing $100 models and up, and the $100 models are all corded which unfortunately would be a complete pain in the rear end for my yard (:mad:)

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Lutha Mahtin posted:

do you know which model it is at your store? apparently ryobi sells several different types and variations of snow throwers. if you still work at home depot, you are correct about the website since it is only showing $100 models and up, and the $100 models are all corded which unfortunately would be a complete pain in the rear end for my yard (:mad:)

It may not be on sale. I took this last Sunday. Totally forgot that we're on a new ad set as of Thursday (I was off yesterday :( )

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

yeah that model would be not so great for me, since it has a cord. thanks for looking it up though!

also im real annoyed that Toro doesn't make one because they are based here and i like supporting "local" companies :mad:

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

A power shovel might work. I’ve got a really similar setup (MN too), and I don’t know how useful one would be for the sidewalks. It looks like it’d just blow snow on everyone else’s stretch. It would be nice for the driveway though. So maybe a corded one would be OK.

In any case, looks like Snapper and Snow Joe make cordless versions. Neither would offer much for other tool compatibility, but I don’t think any of the dominant brands make a power shovel honestly.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Would a leaf blower work for light snow that you might use one of those shovels for?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

taqueso posted:

Would a leaf blower work for light snow that you might use one of those shovels for?

Unless you are using it to clear off yard line markers, why even clear it?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

It turns to ice after people walk on it. And it gets denser the longer it sits. At least around here, we have a lot of temperature cycling around freezing.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Ryobi shovel update, my store is clearancing them out. We had a few left so I picked one up for $40. I figured either way I have 90 days to return it. So I'll know how useful it is before then probably

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Are you ok with lugging around a propane tank?

I've got a paving stone path up behind some rocks I can't get to with a snowblower. I use a big torch on it. https://www.tscstores.com/LINCOLN-INFERNO-PROPANE-TORCH-KIT-P21338.aspx

It works because the path is elevated and the snow meltoff flows away. It's ok on snow but is slow on ice if used alone. But it weakens the ice enough for an ice chopper to make short work of it. Plus you get to play with a big torch every time it snows.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Anyone have experience with this kit?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-227-Piece-Standard-SAE-and-Metric-Polished-Chrome-Mechanics-Tool-Set/1000642747

Really just looking for a 3 ratchet set with a bench of sockets, but a good case is a nice plus.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

taqueso posted:

a leaf blower would only work for very fluffy, powdery snow that has just fallen. if it's wetter snow, or if it's sat there for a while and compacted, or if someone has walked through it, or if any freeze-then-melt has happened, a leaf blower will be useless

nitsuga posted:

A power shovel might work. I've got a really similar setup (MN too), and I don't know how useful one would be for the sidewalks. It looks like it'd just blow snow on everyone else's stretch. It would be nice for the driveway though. So maybe a corded one would be OK.

In any case, looks like Snapper and Snow Joe make cordless versions. Neither would offer much for other tool compatibility, but I don't think any of the dominant brands make a power shovel honestly.

When I said "sidewalks" previously I was referring just to walkways around the house. For some weird reason my street is one of the only ones around here where there isn't a proper sidewalk that runs along the street, so I wouldn't be shoveling anything into the neighbors' yards. Also a bunch of the big tool brands do make power shovels, you just have to dig around on their websites.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
I inherited an old Penncraft 4.5" bench grinder. The problem seems to be that 4.5" bench grinding wheels aren't a thing anymore. The only results I can ever find are angle grinder wheels, or bench ones that are 3" or 6". Is it possible to adapt it to take a 3" wheel, you think, without it exploding the smaller wheel or something? Should I just use it with its existing wheels until they're toast and move on?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Lutha Mahtin posted:

a leaf blower would only work for very fluffy, powdery snow that has just fallen. if it's wetter snow, or if it's sat there for a while and compacted, or if someone has walked through it, or if any freeze-then-melt has happened, a leaf blower will be useless

When I said "sidewalks" previously I was referring just to walkways around the house. For some weird reason my street is one of the only ones around here where there isn't a proper sidewalk that runs along the street, so I wouldn't be shoveling anything into the neighbors' yards. Also a bunch of the big tool brands do make power shovels, you just have to dig around on their websites.

Sure, no worries, just didn't want to fuel neighborly disputes with a power tool.

Anyway, I'm still not seeing them (except for the Ryobi). Can you link them here? The one concern I have is that they'd be 40V batteries or something else that wouldn't be compatible with the manufacturers' other lines of tools, like the Ryobi. It'd work out if you were interested in their other tools, and this thread seems generally fond of them in situations where you've only got a small lot to take care of.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

I guess I was a little imprecise before. Some of the brands I found aren't ones I've ever heard of. I've found cordless snow throwers (that are part of an interchangeable battery system) from the following companies:

side note, the more i look at them the more it looks like some of them are slightly rebadged versions of each other

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
It's almost like there's an electric snowblower factory in China that manufactures them under contract for a bunch of companies.

Or maybe there's 2 factories.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

yeah i was going for a :thejoke: but whiffed it

it does make me wonder if certain brands' battery systems are technically interchangeable, but i'm not gonna fry any tools or blow up any batteries to find out

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Lutha Mahtin posted:

it does make me wonder if certain brands' battery systems are technically interchangeable, but i'm not gonna fry any tools or blow up any batteries to find out

Electrically? Yes. Mechanically? No, on purpose.

I'm not saying there aren't differences in battery quality and chargers.....

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
AvE did a video on batteries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu_Ldn7uAMM

The tl:dr is that you could probably gut one battery to provide voltage for an other brand's tool, or go on amazon and get an off-brand battery. But the cheap ones cut corners.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I'm also vaguely aware that just because two tools look very much alike, doesn't mean that they're just whitelabelled clones.

It's possible e.g. for the casing of multiple machines to be manufactured by the same factory but for the final build to be done by different factories, so you might wind up with different build quality or different internal components.

Or they're just whitelabelled.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
I also wonder if a batch of motors or bearings or whatever fails to meet the quality control for one of the AAA brands instead of trashing the whole run they resell it to a less demanding brand at a discount.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
When vape cells fail, they put them in Teslas.

(Not really. I mean, they do put failed cells into Teslas, but not vape cells, specifically. I say this because I do not have multiple billions of dollars to shield me from defamation lawsuits.)

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
I know a lot of the time the clones are built on older machines the "name brand" sell when they are done/used up.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

JEEVES420 posted:

I know a lot of the time the clones are built on older machines the "name brand" sell when they are done/used up.

A lot of the difference is the QA/QC on the better products. It's expensive to keep someone in the factory checking that they don't swap a cheaper bearing or motor or switch or whatever. Reading "Poorly Made in China: An Insider's Account of the China Production Game" is enlightening.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

sharkytm posted:

A lot of the difference is the QA/QC on the better products. It's expensive to keep someone in the factory checking that they don't swap a cheaper bearing or motor or switch or whatever. Reading "Poorly Made in China: An Insider's Account of the China Production Game" is enlightening.

The tales that came out of the Keyboardio build were equally wild. All that sort of usual "oh we didn't think you'd mind" bullshit, but also at one point their account manager at the factory set up a fake similar email address and had them start sending their payments direct to her, who would then turn around to the factory owner and say they hadn't paid yet.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
At work we have a Stanley 12v impact and the battery from that looks VEEEEEERRRY similar to my Milaukee m12 battery.

I can't be arsed to look it up, but if Stanley and Milwaukee are made by the same ultra-mega-multinational-evil tool conglomerate umbrella corporation or whatever that makes like 20 different brands of power tools, then they're probably compatible as gently caress.

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

I remember reading an article about outsourcing that talked about how factories in China often have on site compliance folks from parent companies in the US at the Chinese plants to QC the work that’s done during the day. Once the compliance people leave for the day sometimes these plants keep a shift late or another shift comes in and they keep pumping out pretty much the same products/parts but the quality inevitably drops and/or they use cheaper materials and they sell to the products Chinese/off brand companies who put out the products under a different label. The parent company from the US may or may not know about this but they often look the other way and chalk it up as a cost of manufacturing overseas. I can’t remember the industry they highlighted in the article but I’d imagine this happens across manufacturing segments.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yeah, that's called a ghost shift and it's absolutely rampant. Where do you think all the knock offs on Alibaba come from?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

wesleywillis posted:

At work we have a Stanley 12v impact and the battery from that looks VEEEEEERRRY similar to my Milaukee m12 battery.

I can't be arsed to look it up, but if Stanley and Milwaukee are made by the same ultra-mega-multinational-evil tool conglomerate umbrella corporation or whatever that makes like 20 different brands of power tools, then they're probably compatible as gently caress.

Stanley-Dewalt.

https://toolguyd.com/tool-brands-corporate-affiliations/

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Conveniently their colours already matched.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Any recomedations for a stud finder? I just hung up some shelves for my mother and couldn't find them for crap.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

coathat posted:

Any recomedations for a stud finder? I just hung up some shelves for my mother and couldn't find them for crap.

I have a zircon brand from HD for about $20-25 I think? Has done a decent job for me on odd jobs. Neodymium magnets can work if you have those lying around. Most houses I've dealt with have studs spaced 16" on center, which can be helpful to know when you are trying to figure out where poo poo is at.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

coathat posted:

Bosch GMS-120

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-GMS-120-Digital-Multi-Scanner/dp/B004TACMZ8/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=bosch+stud+finder&qid=1577494283&sr=8-2

You can find them cheaper/refurbs. Mine was and I've had it for like 4 or 5 years now.

coathat
May 21, 2007

I didn't have any good magnets and her house while solidly built and well insulated for the time it was made was also made by people with quite loose ideas of measurements and a strong disregard for doing anything the way a normal person would.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

coathat posted:

I didn't have any good magnets and her house while solidly built and well insulated for the time it was made was also made by people with quite loose ideas of measurements and a strong disregard for doing anything the way a normal person would.

This is how most houses I deal with are as well

Frohike999
Oct 23, 2003
If you've got a Costco membership, I swear the stud finder I got from there is the best I've ever used.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I dreamt of a new kind of tape measure last night. This is what I'd like to call a "bad sign".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Also going to post this in the tools thread in AI for more exposure:

Got myself a Milwaukee m18 sawzall a few weeks ago and want to pick up some blades for it. I expect to be using it to cut steel (non-stainless) wood; Dimensional lumber/plywood, and probably a bit of plastic here and there; SCH40 pvc.

What are some good blade brands to look for? I know about different tooth size for different materials and whatnot, but what about brands?
Like is there a brand known for making really good blades for wood, but the stuff they make for cutting metal sucks for example?

Am I fine with just getting blades from (name brand X)?