Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

A thought occurred to me - I seem to be building a case in becoming a premier LPer in the "child abuse" genre. Between the test subjects (most of all Subject N) in Root Double, the Warriors of Hope in Ultra Despair Girls, and now Mizuki here, it seems like the topic just keeps coming up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Two videos at once! ...that are shorter together than most other videos alone.

First, we go back to the Psync with Mizuki for some odds and ends, and then we'll go and check out the files in the second video.

Also, I'm doing a thread contest!

The fact that the game crashed twice on me during the simple process of picking out the last few actions we hadn't done in that Psync made me realize that my crash counter is going way up. So, why not let you guess and make a game out of it?

So, this is going to be real simple: Guess the number the Crash Counter will be at at the end of the LP. Should a tiebreaker be necessary, then I'll come up with something down the line. It might be completely arbitrary. It might have something to do with baseball. Who knows.

Your reward will be an avatar change, with a choice of either getting a certificate and doing it yourself, or letting me surprise you with something of my own creation. Alternatively, if you feel like it, this could also be a platinum upgrade or similar stuff.

Now, get to guessing! As a reminder, the current Crash Counter is 4.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Can't be ASCII (letters are 65-90 and 97-122, so each octet must start with 0).

Converting directly to decimal we get 160, 245 or 41205. AF_, BDE or DAB_E (A = 1, B = 2, …). The 41 could also be AI in leet-speak?

We can also use T = 20 so 41205 = DATE. Cute.

So my guess is 41205 crashes. 0.01% of the way already!

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

TheMcD posted:

Now, get to guessing! As a reminder, the current Crash Counter is 4.

Given that we're still really early in the game I'm going with 60.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Going with 50 mostly cause of how choppy and laggy it got on the switch in later parts of the game.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

wait what's this about crashing

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

I'll split the difference and go for 55.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I'm going to go for a guess of 60

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

53 times

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

37 for no good reason

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

42 is always a good answer.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
seriously, what is it with Japanese visual novels and needing appendix/glossary entries for very simple things. I.E. Dork

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
35 times

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

I have nothing else to add except that Aiba is good and precious.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

klafbang posted:

Can't be ASCII (letters are 65-90 and 97-122, so each octet must start with 0).

Converting directly to decimal we get 160, 245 or 41205. AF_, BDE or DAB_E (A = 1, B = 2, …). The 41 could also be AI in leet-speak?

We can also use T = 20 so 41205 = DATE. Cute.

Nice, I looked at that briefly but I didn't think along those lines.

mateo360 posted:

seriously, what is it with Japanese visual novels and needing appendix/glossary entries for very simple things. I.E. Dork

I like to think it was something slightly more obscure in Japanese but I can't find a single Japanese let's play where they actually look at the files (or at least, not without going past where this LP is up to). It's hard enough finding one where anyone looks around the room instead of beelining the plot.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I'll go ahead and guess an even 100 crashes

There were some real creepy jokes in those albums

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

TheMcD posted:

First, we go back to the Psync with Mizuki for some odds and ends, and then we'll go and check out the files in the second video.

Almost forgot to mention, you're already missing a file. There's an "unagi" entry in the appendix that only unlocks if you tell Mizuki you'll take her out for unagi in the dialogue choice before you Psync with her. It was the last one I unlocked, having to google for it.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

whitehelm posted:

Almost forgot to mention, you're already missing a file. There's an "unagi" entry in the appendix that only unlocks if you tell Mizuki you'll take her out for unagi in the dialogue choice before you Psync with her. It was the last one I unlocked, having to google for it.

I might go back and pick up those I missed at the end of the game using a guide. If I tried to get everything in one run or kept backtracking after every chapter, it'd probably turn into a nightmare to keep track of. Better to do a full playthrough, get a list of what I still need and then get those in one shot.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

New video time!

This time around, we find out if we managed to cure Mizuki's mental block and try to make something out of what we witnessed in her Somnium.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Guys don't just think with their dicks in just this game. Though Date is certainly a particularly prominent example

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
...She's gonna get murdered on-stream, isn't she?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Oh, by the way, the Crash Counter Contest is still open. Check further upthread for details.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Why is everyone being so blase about Misuki having a dead Iris in her head? Surely that's an important clue. Like was it a metaphorical dead body the same way the poo poo in the Somnium was metaphorical for trauma or did she actually see a dead Iris?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

New video!

Our investigation is kinda in a rut, but some development is going to come out of nowhere. Also, we get to talk with the best character for the first time.

Also, another quick reminder - the Crash Counter Contest is still open, and all you have to do is pick the number you think the Crash Counter will be at at the end of the LP! It will be open until the next Somnium, which will be after three more videos.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
Agreed on best character. Boss comes very close, though.

And I'll throw in a Crash Counter guess of 13.

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

Gonna add a guess for 420 because I get the strangest feeling it'll be blazing by the end.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
drat Mizuki you strong

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I just learned that A-set's voice actress is going to be attending a con in my city in April. Time to get my copy signed :D

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Hm. If I draw attention to what Boss is talking about with the left mysterious mask, it'll be an obvious meme. If I don't, it will be a mystery to TheMcD...

Perhaps I will need to reject my goonanity.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
So, who sent the NILE message to Shoko? Wasn’t Misuki basically knocked out? Or did she just not speak, but were keepnig up with her Twitter? Seems like sending her a DM might have been more fruitful than the whole psync thing if that’s the case.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

klafbang posted:

So, who sent the NILE message to Shoko? Wasn’t Misuki basically knocked out? Or did she just not speak, but were keepnig up with her Twitter? Seems like sending her a DM might have been more fruitful than the whole psync thing if that’s the case.

I think you're mixing something up. As far as I've got it in my head, Shoko never got a NILE message - the only thing we know about Shoko's phone is that somebody called her right after she was killed and that it got stuck in a horse. Also, it was a burner and probably used for some sort of shady business. Mizuki got a message from Renju.

mateo360 posted:

I just learned that A-set's voice actress is going to be attending a con in my city in April. Time to get my copy signed :D

You better practice your rhymes then. Have to be ready for an impromptu game of "A-set, You Bet!".

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

TheMcD posted:

I think you're mixing something up. As far as I've got it in my head, Shoko never got a NILE message - the only thing we know about Shoko's phone is that somebody called her right after she was killed and that it got stuck in a horse. Also, it was a burner and probably used for some sort of shady business. Mizuki got a message from Renju.

Yah, you’re right. I meant teacher lady. A-set’s mom (I suck at names in general and foreign names does not make it better).

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

klafbang posted:

Yah, you’re right. I meant teacher lady. A-set’s mom (I suck at names in general and foreign names does not make it better).

Hitomi. Yeah, she got the message from Mizuki. Mizuki, waiting for nothing in the hospital after Date tried and failed to help her and Renju might've got her into this mess in the first place, turns to the last parental figure she has in her life - her homeroom teacher / friend's mother - for some sort of comfort.

As for why they couldn't just write to communicate with Mizuki, a possible explanation is that at that time her trauma still sat too deep and she was still fixed on protecting Renju, so she might've just not communicated at all. They might've tried that offscreen alongside other methods before going to the Psync. She needed that time with Hitomi in order to break out of her trauma, and only then would she actually be able to give testimony for the murder. And it's not like the message Mizuki sent Hitomi had any real "substance", it was just a cry for help, which might've been a lot easier to bring out than anything directly relating to the scene of the murder.

Note that there is nothing to really support this interpretation over others in the game. I'm just pulling poo poo out of my rear end that I think makes sense. I'm a Danganronpa fan, I have to be good at that.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Thanks, I thought I’d missed something but fair enough it’s just a case of don’t think about it too much :)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Here's something that might possibly spoil the contest but make recording easier:

PMush Perfect posted:

One more that should really go at the very top of the entry for AI: The Somnium Files:

- The game likes to crash during Somniums on Steam. It's recommended that you run the launcher as administrator, and turn off VSync and run it fullscreen. That, plus updated drivers, seems to solve the issue for most people.

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.
Honestly the game feels pretty unstable in general. I bought it for Switch, and, uh...

Don't do that.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Classy Hydra posted:

I bought it for Switch, and, uh...

Don't do that.

Later is the game, anytime you got a flashback or an AI view window, it would chug. Like full minute to actually load chug. I wish I knew why cause I don’t think it’s any different from when it happens this early in the game.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Anecdotal, but I had zero issues with the PC port of this game, played through the entire thing without any crashes or glitches or whatever. Curious what's up with that.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Hwurmp posted:

Here's something that might possibly spoil the contest but make recording easier:

Oh, believe me, I tried. Back when I first played this game, I spent a few hours trying all sorts of poo poo trying to make this loving game crash less, but nope, it wasn't to be. Whatever my setup is, it's apparently cursed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

New video excitement!

This time, we'll visit my favorite location in the game and invoke one of the four parts of the thread title for the first time.