Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
you could also just AirPlay to it from your phone or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

jackpot posted:

I’ve gotten by for a long time with my atv gen 3 but I think with Disney+ I’m needing an upgrade, right? Because it only comes through the App Store?

Assuming I do need one, I've got just an old nothing-special 42" LCD - which compatible atv should I look for?

Def get the 4K one for future proofing alone.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Yeah from what I'm reading it's a no brainer between the HD and 4K models.

The whole "only $20 more to double the storage" thing irritates me, you'd think I'd be used to it by now.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

RIP the corner glass on my remote. It’s a miracle it lasted as long as it did with these tiled floors.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I got a little silicone sleeve on amazon for the remote and I quite like it

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

jackpot posted:

Yeah from what I'm reading it's a no brainer between the HD and 4K models.

The whole "only $20 more to double the storage" thing irritates me, you'd think I'd be used to it by now.

You don't need the extra storage. Most apps are super small as they are just glorified web sites. It's the games that eat up the storage.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
My TV remote keeps lagging and being non responsive, as soon as I plug it in and give it a charge it’s fine for a bit. So very likely the battery.

Should I look into having Apple replace the battery, or is it just buy new remote ? And depending on the price of the remote, I might just upgrade my Apple TV to the 4K one (I don’t have a 4K TV), I got the Apple HD TV like, 4 years ago now.

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008 posted:

My TV remote keeps lagging and being non responsive, as soon as I plug it in and give it a charge it’s fine for a bit. So very likely the battery.

Should I look into having Apple replace the battery, or is it just buy new remote ? And depending on the price of the remote, I might just upgrade my Apple TV to the 4K one (I don’t have a 4K TV), I got the Apple HD TV like, 4 years ago now.

Holding the Menu and Volume Up buttons forces it to reconnect. Some times that helps for me

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Anyone know of a way to get the Music app to update what it displays re:Apple Music short of rebooting the box? The Browse and especially the Radio tab are terrible at updating.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
When AirPlaying music from a phone, is there any rhyme or reason to whether the music takes over the screen? Had a Christmas party the other night and I was AirPlaying to two ATVs simultaneously - the music played fine on both, but the album art/playlist only displayed on one. I didn't wanna be stuck with just the static home screen menu or screen savers on display, so in the end I just played music directly from Computers and had different music on the other ATV.

It's like the most first-world problem ever but now I'm wondering what actually triggers the full Now Playing interface over AirPlay, especially since two identical ATV models (both 4K) were behaving differently. On the TV that didn't get the album info, I noticed that there was a little prompt telling me the resolution/refresh rate (from the TV itself, not the ATV), as if I had just switched resolutions, even though I don't think anything actually changed. For that reason I'm wondering if it relates to the ATV's display settings somehow.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

A Swiss tv company has produced an alternate remote without the touchpad, apparently with Apple's blessing:

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/12/09/salt-tv-alternative-apple-tv-4k-remote-control/

Maybe we'll be able to get a version of this someday (or Apple will change the remote for the next version that is backwards compatible.)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That's quite neat, I don't dislike it.

It's a shame that the AT&T box they shipped me to beta has a remote that really looks like it was designed specifically around using cable-type services on a streaming box (decent amount of buttons, numpad etc) but the thing is an utter dog to use. Such a wasted opportunity (the box itself is terrible too, about 10x the size of streaming stick solutions and about 4 years out of date).

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I reset an old ATV3 and updated it, but all updates seem to brick it; it just keeps blinking after installing the update with a blank screen.

Anyone know what’s up?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

phosdex posted:

A Swiss tv company has produced an alternate remote without the touchpad, apparently with Apple's blessing:

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/12/09/salt-tv-alternative-apple-tv-4k-remote-control/

Maybe we'll be able to get a version of this someday (or Apple will change the remote for the next version that is backwards compatible.)

Holy poo poo I want that stupid remote.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

phosdex posted:

I would kill for this if it had a microphone. I never really had a problem with the touchpad remote except third party apps are now seemingly designed to intentionally be unusable with the touchpad.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

ufarn posted:

I reset an old ATV3 and updated it, but all updates seem to brick it; it just keeps blinking after installing the update with a blank screen.

Anyone know what’s up?
Pulled out the Ethernet cable to use it for something else and left the device for a bit, and it seems to at least have interrupted the frozen state. I'll take it.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

phosdex posted:

I don't hate it and think it would do really well in its use case (where you need to select specific on-screen icons instead of scroll through them).

That said, I don't think I can live now without being able to quickly swipe through videos to the spot I desire.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I can live without trying to scrub to a specific time and missing it by 5 min each way.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Thwomp posted:

I don't hate it and think it would do really well in its use case (where you need to select specific on-screen icons instead of scroll through them).

That said, I don't think I can live now without being able to quickly swipe through videos to the spot I desire.

Maybe the P buttons will let you scrub forward/back in big jumps.

I'm sure an enterprising person will buy a bunch and put them up for sale on ebay or whatever. Looking forward to reports from people who buy them.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

That's quite neat, I don't dislike it.

It's a shame that the AT&T box they shipped me to beta has a remote that really looks like it was designed specifically around using cable-type services on a streaming box (decent amount of buttons, numpad etc) but the thing is an utter dog to use. Such a wasted opportunity (the box itself is terrible too, about 10x the size of streaming stick solutions and about 4 years out of date).

I don't understand why the cable industry is so far behind with equipment like this...

The local IPTV provider here is the same way.. They use ADB branded boxes that look like they are straight out of 1999; the UI uses a terrible color scheme consisting of bright blue, green, purple and hot-pink. Its slow as poo poo. And the included remote is fuckoff huge with 1,000 tiny buttons it. You can barely hold it in one hand. A cold reboot takes nearly 10 full minutes. (and it needs them frequently). I was so glad to ditch cable and get rid of those damned things.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah and the box I’m talking about is AT&Ts streaming solution, but boy does it have all the bad parts of a cable box still. The remote is the most infuriating part as it looks perfect until you try use the drat thing.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

is anyone’s remote really slow to respond, and Siri as well? I used to get little hiccups but now it just seems to be consistently bad. I did re-pair the remote but may do that again

Could it be related to the iOS or maybe some radio/WiFi interference?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

is anyone’s remote really slow to respond, and Siri as well? I used to get little hiccups but now it just seems to be consistently bad. I did re-pair the remote but may do that again

Could it be related to the iOS or maybe some radio/WiFi interference?

I think it's interference. I intermittently get that. If I switch to the remote app on my phone it's fine.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
My Netflix subtitles (and not my Amazon Video subtitles) are suddenly massive, like three times as big as they were before in pt size. This has made me keenly aware that I have no idea how Apple TV subtitles interact with Netflix Account subtitles, because I can’t now seem to change the subtitle size using either setting, although some settings (but not others) from the Apple TV seem to be respected in Netflix (eg if I change to a different font with a coloured background in Apple TV settings, Netflix will not respect the font but will respect the background). Ideas?

E: Netflix on Apple TV doesn’t seem to respect the font choice on either Netflix Account or Apple TV, and just seems to display in Console regardless of either setting.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Dec 15, 2019

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Reinstall or reset the Apple TV?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Anyone notice that the YouTube app constantly toys with the section titles at the top? Like sometimes I have “trending” but lately that one has been “news” and there is no way to get to trending. I hate A/B testing.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

smackfu posted:

Anyone notice that the YouTube app constantly toys with the section titles at the top? Like sometimes I have “trending” but lately that one has been “news” and there is no way to get to trending. I hate A/B testing.

Yeah, I've noticed it the last week or so.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Wait til the new software version rolls out on ATV. All your favorites, now even more clicks away!

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

Jose Oquendo posted:

I think it's interference. I intermittently get that. If I switch to the remote app on my phone it's fine.

Yeah I’ve discovered that if I put my phone on the other side of the couch it usually solves my remote issues. Annoying since they’re both Apple products but whatever.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Anyone know the difference between English and English CC subtitles on Apple TV+ shows? Seems like same content but different fonts for some reason.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

smackfu posted:

Anyone know the difference between English and English CC subtitles on Apple TV+ shows? Seems like same content but different fonts for some reason.

Closed captions usually provide written out noises and music cues. Basically they're made with the assumption the viewer cannot hear the audio, while subtitles assume the audio can be heard but you might need help with the dialogue for whatever reason.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
So subtitle and closed caption/cc isn’t the same word for the same thing? Huh, didn’t know that.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

So subtitle and closed caption/cc isn’t the same word for the same thing? Huh, didn’t know that.

Closed captions are for the hard of hearing, subtitles are for movies that have absolutely poo poo audio mixing where the dialogue is way softer than the sound effects so you gotta turn it way down to not blow out your speakers every time something happens.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Yeah it’s very mildly annoying when English subtitles aren’t available but English CC is and you have to see stuff like [whimsical music playing] or [John breathing heavily].

But then I think I’m lucky to not be hard of hearing. Just wish more services would include English subtitles in addition to English CC.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Vince MechMahon posted:

Closed captions are for the hard of hearing, subtitles are for movies that have absolutely poo poo audio mixing where the dialogue is way softer than the sound effects so you gotta turn it way down to not blow out your speakers every time something happens.

Gf got me into subtitles. I was surprised how much dialog I missed in some of my favorite movies.

Audio mixing is poo poo for sure. Sometimes I wonder why they even add a line that’s said off-screen under someone’s breath. But movies gotta make the action loud!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Gf got me into subtitles. I was surprised how much dialog I missed in some of my favorite movies.

Audio mixing is poo poo for sure. Sometimes I wonder why they even add a line that’s said off-screen under someone’s breath. But movies gotta make the action loud!

It's gotten better but during the earlier days of blu-ray it seems like they were just putting the uncompressed theatrical mixes onto stuff, not realizing most people don't have a setup that can play that and have it sound good, and even those who do might not be able to play poo poo that loud. Dialogue should always be louder than music and sound effects when both are happening at once on home releases, as far as I'm concerned.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I just got an email saying I’m eligible for a year or ATV+. Is there anything worth watching at all? The limited amount of trailers or whatever makes it seem like it’s just all garbage.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I just got an email saying I’m eligible for a year or ATV+. Is there anything worth watching at all? The limited amount of trailers or whatever makes it seem like it’s just all garbage.

There’s a new series coming out in February made by the people behind Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia. That said, I took the free year, I’ll watch a thing on it here or there, and definitely cancel right before the year ends. Haven’t even watched one of the shows yet (although to be fair this is my busy time of year).

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

For All Mankind is really good. The Morning Show isn't bad. Dickinson is supposed to be good. There's a series from M. Night Shamayalan on there but I haven't watched it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Dickinson is ok. I keep forgetting Servant was released. One thing I noticed is that streaming quality is way better than Netflix or amazon.