Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Sniep posted:

i remember asking myself, at the time in history, "how did this even get released" cuz the frame rate was so low. Same with jurassic park SNES.

like, it didn't meet my child's mind MVP for release

it got released because it was fun and nobody had standards yet. the competition was...was there competition? was quake before or after goldeneye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
no i know

and it was fun to play

but i still questioned it as being relesae worthy, i had high standards as a kiddo

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Nomnom Cookie posted:

it got released because it was fun and nobody had standards yet. the competition was...was there competition? was quake before or after goldeneye

quake was a year before. goldeneye was embarrassingly bad compared to contemporaneous pc fps games, but it didn't matter because the people playing goldeneye didn't play pc games.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

goldeneye had pretty cool story-driven missions (predating e.g. half-life), and has a legit place in history on that basis. the single-player didn't run quite as hopelessly badly as the multi-player either.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i only ever played goldeneye in multiplayer mode

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

goldeneye had pretty cool story-driven missions (predating e.g. half-life), and has a legit place in history on that basis.

there were story-driven fpses years earlier than goldeneye. i never played marathon but I know dark forces did it in like 1994.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

all players are on an even playing field. anyone complaining is a sore loser

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
pierce brosnan coded some of the lines in that game himself

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Soricidus posted:

there were story-driven fpses years earlier than goldeneye. i never played marathon but I know dark forces did it in like 1994.

not on consoles

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

No Mods No Masters posted:

Thankful to steve on this blessed day that at least some keyboards work

when tim acquiesced to that extended repair program I wonder how many fundamentally broken laptop halves he still had manufactured for the future

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

goldeneye was the best. friends and i sunk serious time into that game.

license to kill, slappers only, race to select oddjob

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
yeah, goldeneye ran fine in single player, and mostly OK in two player. only became a chugfest in 4 player mode.

was still fun regardless.

it’s not like the average 1996/97 PC could’ve run 4 copies of quake on the screen smoothly.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Dec 29, 2019

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Doc Block posted:

yeah, goldeneye ran fine in single player, and mostly OK in two player. only became a chugfest in 4 player mode.

was still fun regardless.

it’s not like the average 1996 PC could’ve run quake with 4 copies on the screen.

we were playing on lovely crts its not like quality mattered. even when we'd go play at my friend's place where they had one of those giant old school big screens with a projector inside it still looked fine.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Mr. Nice! posted:

goldeneye was the best. friends and i sunk serious time into that game.

license to kill, slappers only, race to select oddjob

license to kill, grenade launchers, temple. Anybody that uses the klobb has to switch to the janky 3rd party controller.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

one of our friends liked to use remote mines and switch to the detonator while they were still mid air to catch people as they ran by

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

bump_fn posted:

not on consoles

we weren’t talking about consoles. the poster I was replying to was suggesting that goldeneye was historic because it did story before half-life.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Soricidus posted:

we weren’t talking about consoles. the poster I was replying to was suggesting that goldeneye was historic because it did story before half-life.

shut up nerd

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Soricidus posted:

i said *cool*, so star wars poo poo is obviously not making the list.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

in goldeeye you could shoot people's hats off and they would react differently depending on where you shot them. it blew my mind

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

goldeneye: source is a thing and is a loving riot with a bunch of friends https://geshl2.com/

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
golden eye sniper rifle :slick:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

beep knows what's up!!!!!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Nice! posted:

we were playing on lovely crts its not like quality mattered. even when we'd go play at my friend's place where they had one of those giant old school big screens with a projector inside it still looked fine.

evidence that improving technology only made us less content

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Bored Online posted:

can you use an egpu with an internet macintosh

2017 and later yes

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

President Beep posted:

golden eye sniper rifle :slick:

wasn't there a shooty version of this gif?

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

The Management posted:

they could have had a successful casual gaming console with iOS game ports on Apple TV if they just weren’t idiots about requiring games work with the dumb remote and not supporting the best controllers.

there were third parties that made gamepads that attach to the sides of iPhones. Apple did a terrible job supporting accessories like that, so the entire lightning accessory ecosystem is basically nothing but speaker stands.

they fixed this but literal years too late.

iOS 13 added in support for xbox and ps4 controllers (which they now sell at apple stores lol) so now your kid can play iPhone Fortnite with a Real Controller. Apps are now allowed to require a controller but I don't know of a single app that actually took them up on that.

Would be sick if they ported GTA V to iOS now that they have Good GPUs but I have no idea if there's some App Store size rule that they'd break.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Jimmy Carter posted:

they fixed this but literal years too late.

iOS 13 added in support for xbox and ps4 controllers (which they now sell at apple stores lol) so now your kid can play iPhone Fortnite with a Real Controller. Apps are now allowed to require a controller but I don't know of a single app that actually took them up on that.

Would be sick if they ported GTA V to iOS now that they have Good GPUs but I have no idea if there's some App Store size rule that they'd break.

the steam version needs over 70gb to install, so even if scaled down it wouldn't fit on most ios devices out there. even if they just used the last gen console assets, that would still take a huge chunk of most ios devices

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

they could probably downscale the textures a lot due to screen size (im guessing theyre a huge chunk of the total)

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i wonder how big civ is on pc or w/e compared to the ios version

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

it's a me, lomarfio
id just like to express how much i appreciate this

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

also compress hte audio as 96kbps 22kHz mp3 with the Xing mp3 grabber :okpos:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i got dirt rally 2.0 and it’s almost 100gb and it’s not even open world just a lot of textures like a LOT lol

i’m getting a bit dominated at class a racing but let’s be fair those cars are fast as gently caress. riding in a rally car as a passenger would be terrifying

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

President Beep posted:

i wonder how big civ is on pc or w/e compared to the ios version

civ 1 used to fit on a 720kb amiga disckette

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

when i got titanfall 2 it was 65 gigs and i was like what the gently caress, this is just an fps, what's going on? so i looked it up and it turns out that about 35gb of that is multiple copies of uncompressed audio files for the entire game in every language version. multiple copies because of disc access, uncompressed because the xbox 360 didn't have enough power to devote a whole thread to decompressing audio in real time, and they carried those two limitations to every other version

a+

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

echinopsis posted:

civ 1 used to fit on a 720kb amiga disckette

i never did 1 but all subsequent ones

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

The Management posted:

there were third parties that made gamepads that attach to the sides of iPhones. Apple did a terrible job supporting accessories like that, so the entire lightning accessory ecosystem is basically nothing but speaker stands.

yea i'd imagine its the kind of thing that needs to either be 1st party or be heavily promoted by 1st party, in tandem with whatever support/incentives they'd need to lure devs to the platform

or i guess pull a microsoft and buy out a big name developer

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sagebrush posted:

uncompressed because the xbox 360 didn't have enough power to devote a whole thread to decompressing audio in real time

lol what the gently caress

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

the Xbox 360 could decode WMA in hardware, but that would’ve required them to make the Xbox 360 version of the game slightly different from the other platforms

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

that doesnt sound right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

three cores, six threads, all trash