Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I've also got a set of Palladiums and they do indeed own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think we also all bought them when they went on sale last year for <$40, great boots for dry hikes.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

What boots are those

https://palladiumboots.com/collections/boots/canvas

they were originally french combat boots circa the french indochina war and are great for short hikes and casual wear but don't compare with good modern hiking boots for support

Slim Pickens posted:

I think we also all bought them when they went on sale last year for <$40, great boots for dry hikes.

they were actually used by SF types up until the 90s for anything that involved coming out of the water

PookBear fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Nov 17, 2019

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I just wish they made them in wide sizes. My frog toes get squeezed.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I've been told that I'm not doing enough to make people aware, so in the spirit of GIP I'm going to wildly overreact and post this same message in all the active threads.

Another run of Useless Dirt shirts is being put together. Deadline to order is 11:59 PM Eastern time tomorrow.

Info is here

DreadNite
Nov 12, 2013
The good ‘ole freedom bird (ironically, in captivity at the zoo..)

Shot this with the new fandangled 70-200 2.8L III from Canon. Probably the sharpest lens I’ve ever had.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

DreadNite posted:

The good ‘ole freedom bird (ironically, in captivity at the zoo..)

Shot this with the new fandangled 70-200 2.8L III from Canon. Probably the sharpest lens I’ve ever had.

Love me some dumpster divers. I had one of the dudes who likes to raise a ruckus in my yard during the summer. He/She may have been chased off by the crows this year. Only saw it like once compared to poo poo ton the year before. Crows are better anyways. They at least warn our chickens when raptors are around.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Just got back from my long Thanksgiving trip a full five days early due to a combination of bad weather and a pressurized explosive stomach bug lasting for four days and counting.

But I pulled this one off, which I'm still laughing about.

Will get the rest of the pics processed when I get some sleep in me. Didn't get anywhere close to as many as I was hoping for.

Also I got a bucket list item when I went to the Grand Canyon. The clerk at their grocery store asked, "How are you?" I plopped a package of Pepto Bismol on the conveyor belt and said "Not great, I have diarrhea."

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Nice dude. Yo so how many other dudes were set up at the arch?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I was the only one to start with, was there at 6:40AM this morning just before the blue hour. Only maybe seven or eight others showed up after. And out of them, 2/3 were using only smartphones, only a few had actual cameras, and none other than me had tripods. Since there was nowhere to hide Waldo, I had to pull on my human face and be friendly and all that, move it for them so they could get their shots too and the like.

I think it being winter and midweek helped to keep it from being ridiculous. All the photos/videos I've seen of the Mesa Arch dawn experience show 20 or 30 dudes, shoulder to shoulder with tripods, and that looked horrible to me. I had to take a couple days to drive home from Kanab anyways, so I figured may as well camp outside of Canyonlands and make the attempt. No better time than the winter as far as crowds go.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
You already know this, but that's an awesome photo.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Naked Bear posted:

You already know this, but that's an awesome photo.

Thanks! It felt a little like plagiarism since it's such a famous place/time of day, but then Waldo'ing such places is fun in a :haw: kind of way anyways.

Here's the shots I got processed, starting with Carlsbad caverns:

Salt basin dunes, Guadalupe Mountains national park

Chiricahua national monument, which was snowed in and had the road to the top closed.

Watson lake, which reminded me a lot of Sylvan lake in South Dakota.

Somewhere in Grand Staircase just off the road.

Mesa Arch in the blue hour as I was waiting for sunrise, just to add to that other one.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
How are those parks in the winter? I'll be in the Southwest in January and we were planning on doing some national parks, but I'm thinking anything north of Arizona is gonna be snowed in.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

The Rat posted:

Chiricahua national monument, which was snowed in and had the road to the top closed.

Thanks for this. I spent two summers as an intern at a research station on the eastern side of the Chiricahuas, and that block of national forest is one of my favorite places in the US, now. The monsoon is the best for wildlife, but I've always wanted to see it in snow.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Slim Pickens posted:

How are those parks in the winter? I'll be in the Southwest in January and we were planning on doing some national parks, but I'm thinking anything north of Arizona is gonna be snowed in.

Lots less people. The fact that I pulled a Waldo shot at the Mesa Arch at dawn says it all, really. The only caveat is you really have to watch the weather, and stay off the dirt roads if there's even a hint of moisture in them. Unless it's frozen, anyways.

Were it not for the horrendous stomach bug, I'd have finished out my week trip there and probably had a really good time of it.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

Thanks all for the suggestions fro Glacier earlier this year. I went to Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, and Glacier back in late September. It was my first time in Glacier and it' was just stunning.

Obligatory Mormon Row, Grand Tetons

Avalanche Lake, Glacier

Lake Mcdonald, Glacier

Same lake the next day

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Anyone got any favorite trails in the Everglades? Thinking about heading out there next weekend for some trail time, I’ve got one in mind but I don’t know the name of if (just a vague location :downs: )

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

seconding that request. I will be there end of this month.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

If the snorkeling tours at Biscayne are running, I’d recommend those too :) Those are extremely weather-dependent though, and we’re in the windy season right now...

:smith:

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
Are there any actually useful, comprehensive resources for finding designated wild/free campsites in countries where free camping is disallowed? I know you're pretty much good in most of Spain, Sweden, Norway and the UK, and I have a great map of more than enough sites to get me around in Denmark, but the rest of Europe seems like one big deadzone. Are there just not any free campsites in central Europe? The few apps I've found have been for caravans, and that hardly counts as wild camping (+ I'm interested in travelling Europe with a tent without paying out the nose just to be allowed to put it up)

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Just camp in the old world war battlefields that are littered with UXO. What's life without a little risk?

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Nothing was red in this zone like the ads claimed, zero accomodations, and I think I got the flu from camping there.

1 out of 5 stars

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

A truly exciting camping experience, it made me want to jump 200 feet in the air and scatter myself over a wide area.

DreadNite
Nov 12, 2013

The Rat posted:

Thanks! It felt a little like plagiarism since it's such a famous place/time of day, but then Waldo'ing such places is fun in a :haw: kind of way anyways.

The composition of this shot is amazing. How did you get this so well exposed? Looks almost like it could be HDR or Long-exposure but there's still some really nice detail in the water.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

DreadNite posted:

The composition of this shot is amazing. How did you get this so well exposed? Looks almost like it could be HDR or Long-exposure but there's still some really nice detail in the water.

Thanks, I'm glad you like it! The short version is using the EM1 Mk2's high resolution mode to crank out a 80mp RAW file and doing super basic processing in DxO Photolab 3. If you'd like, I can write up some :words: about it.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

is there any difference between an actual winter goretex jacket and a goretex rainjacket with a good warming layer?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
As a former Florida Man, I can't recommend any "trails" in the Everglades as nearly every single time I've been hiking in South Florida the trails were flooded however I have never had more fun on a kayak than I have in Florida. I'm not sure there's any place on Earth better for kayaking than Florida.

Whether rivers, lakes, or the coasts Florida is an incredible place to go kayaking/canoeing. So much aquatic wild life. Tons of birds, turtles, snakes, and of course gators and the occasional croc.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

is there any difference between an actual winter goretex jacket and a goretex rainjacket with a good warming layer?

You're probably better off with a shell and warming layers, because then you can take one or the other off when you don't need them.

An insulated winter jacket with goretex can be nice for just having one jacket to toss on and off when you're doing like racing or something else where you want to stay warm while waiting for something and then drop the extra insulation when it's your turn.

Or running errands and just having one jacket to put on, but goretex is a little pricy for that.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Re: shell chat

I picked this up a few months ago: https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/mens-interstellar-jacket-271501 (If you go through Expert Voice you can get a fat military/vets discount on Outdoor Research). While not Goretex it's made of a high end proprietary waterproof/breathable fabric that seems to be very well reviewed.

So far it loving owns, I'm trying winter bike commuting here in Milwaukee (so freezing temps, high wind, some rain & significant snow) and it has yet to leak a drop of water. It's very breathable and extremely light, even with an insulating layer it's not going to be really warm so I wouldn't recommend it for non-aerobic use. For active poo poo (like biking) so far I've managed a 15+ mile bike ride in the low 40s w/ a bunch of wind and rain and I stayed completely dry under it. For biking it's been great over light layers (it's really trim fitting so you're not fitting much more than a fleece) like my old ECWCS waffle top down to the low teens. A+ would buy again as a shell for cold/wet aerobic activities, it'll probably be great as a rain jacket come warmer months too based on how waterproof & breathable it's been so far.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Dec 27, 2019

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I love Outdoor Research. They make fantastic gear at good prices. Hell my final master’s project was a media strategy plan for OR.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Waldo's off getting some work done, so it isn't in these pictures.

However, Waldo's Russian relative IS in both pictures :haw:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Nice job hiding your footprints in the first one. In the bushes middle right in profile, mag well and pistol grip facing the camera? If I didn't recognize the camo I would have missed it.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

EBB posted:

Nice job hiding your footprints in the first one. In the bushes middle right in profile, mag well and pistol grip facing the camera? If I didn't recognize the camo I would have missed it.

Yeah, initially I had it in that twisted branch, but then thought it was too obvious and tossed it in that bush behind it :v:

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

can somone suggest a headlamp and water purification?

PookBear fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Dec 30, 2019

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

can somone suggest a headlamp and water purification?

Planned uses?

Any headlamp sold at REI should be fine, I like the Black Diamond ones but my Princeton Tec one from 10 years ago is good too.

I absolutely love my Platypus gravity filter but if you want to drink out of puddles a traditional MSR pump is good. Drops/tablets are a good lightweight backup to either.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I have a petzl tikka and really like it. Waaaay brighter than the one I bought 12 years ago, LED tech has come a long way. The tikkina is fine as well if you don't need red light or a glowing ring to find it in a tent at night.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
Always carry drops/tablets as a backup, but I have a Sawyer filter and it works decently for quick and tasty water. It does get slow after a few uses in the backcountry so if you take it be sure to also bring the syringe and know how to use it.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Couple photos from my trip to Argentina. Not really landscape-y but whatever this is kinda like the photography thread.

In other photo stuff, I did pick up some new filters, which I hope are the very last ones I get -- Polar Pro circular polarizer and a 6-stop circular polarizer/neutral density filter. They're pretty well-built, so should last a very long time. The last CPL I got had the ring get stuck.

bloops fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 12, 2020

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Heading to the Everglades again today! I’m also moving to Cape Hatteras soon, to work for the summer. Has anyone been there, or knows anything pretty in the area? The NC aquarium at Roanoke Island is on my list, as is the British military cemetery on the island. There’s a grave site at NCARI of a man whose team stole the lives of 9 people from the maw of an Atlantic hurricane in 1896 that I also want to visit.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pea_Island_Life-Saving_Station

The ship these guys were on was torpedoed by a nazi sub, and sank within a minute; all 37 aboard died, but some of their bodies washed up shortly afterwards. They were buried on the outer banks, and the coast guard maintains the site on behalf of the Royal Navy.

http://www.offbeattravel.com/british-cemetery-outerbanks.html

e for content:

This is a dive I did on the wreck of theJohn D. Gill, a tanker that was torpedoed off the coast of Wilmington, NC. The wreck today is a twisted mess of scrap and burned metal rusting away, barely even recognizable as a ship; the bow still stands proud, but there isn’t a ton of vertical relief to the site (not what you’d expect for a ship that was 540’ long when she was afloat).

There’s something for everyone in the story of her sinking.

https://youtu.be/yA3kJhcdmNE

Luck: the ship didn’t initially catch fire, but the oil holds were busted open and leaking into the ocean.

Idiot/bad luck: the ship may have stayed afloat, or at least an orderly abandon was
possible...until someone threw a life ring with a self-igniting flare on it into the oil-covered water. Cue the start of the apocalyptic inferno.

Bad to worse: the fires spread and caused several explosions, one of which destroyed 2 life boats. Not that some of the others fared any better, because the ship began to capsize and dumped a different life boat out just ahead of the still-spinning props. Nobody from those boats survived.

Worse to rock ocean bottom: the ship broke in half after she capsized, and the two sections are ~200ft apart now.

If you’re keeping score, the ship was:

Torpedoed
Set aflame (accidentally)
Suffered several explosions, some of which took out lifeboats
Capsized, and dumped out other lifeboats
Broke in half on the way down

Out of the literal flames of an apocalyptic inferno, a hero rose. The 24-year old quartermaster (Edwin F Cheney), having found a life boat after jumping off the ship, decided that an apocalyptic inferno was a weak little bitch undeserving of respect or taking the lives of his fellow sailors. He swam through it while towing a life raft to grab buddies of his that were on random floating things here and there. Some of them were too weak to do anything other than hold on, but that didn’t matter: Cheney actually threw some of those guys into the life raft he was busy carrying. He accounted for about half of the survivors of the attack.

For his Herculean efforts, Edwin F Cheney was awarded the very first Merchant Marine Distinguished Service Cross.

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jan 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

If you're in Hatteras and are headed Wilmington way, check out Beaufort. You got the NC Maritime Museum https://ncmaritimemuseumbeaufort.com/ and the Harvey W. Smith Watercraft Center across the street. Last time I was there the watercraft center was restoring an LCVP that was in D-Day. The NC aquarium at Pine Knoll Shores http://www.ncaquariums.com/pine-knoll-shores and Ft. Fisher are close by as well.

If you're feeling frisky, camping on Cape Lookout National Seashore is awesome https://www.nps.gov/calo/index.htm. Ferry access only, no pavement and there's no electricity so the night sky is amazing. You can rent cabins or camp rough, I prefer camping rough because you can gently caress off into the dunes and not see another soul if that's what you want. https://www.nps.gov/calo/index.htm