Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

THE NIGHT BUZZARD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I too need sound dampening fabric on my arms.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Ludicrous amounts of backstory that aren't supported by the source material in order to sell merch

Buddy this is like Star Wars 101

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

pretty decent avatar material imo

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Ludicrous amounts of backstory that aren't supported by the source material in order to sell merch

I mean this is exactly how a background character's cheap-looking prop armor got expanded on into a Netflix TV series just recently.

Edit: Excuse me, Disney+

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

fair, but it fuels my hate

These are just fun

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Dec 30, 2019

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Why’d she give up her sabres? “This weapon is your life”

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

According to the dictionary, Kylo Ren was on Mustafar at the beginning of the movie, where apparently cultists worship in Darth Vader's old castle???

I don't think that was ever explained int he film, but that fits with the sort of thing JJ would write.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Mat Cauthon posted:

It's not the 1960's, interracial romances in media are super common now (especially MOC + WW)

this is pages back but I have to ask for examples.

feels like all I see in media are WM + WOC where interracial relationships are concerned.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Willrow Hood is old news, everybody knows about him, and how the thing he was holding is an official Star Wars noun courtesy of Mandalorian

It's called, on screen, a Camtono.

Why would an ice cream maker be called a Camtono?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc-Qq6Aaf3Q

:psyduck:

Star Wars is insane

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Little Death posted:

Actually I think presenting Chewie as apolitical is perhaps exhibit A in the problems with the ST. The original trilogy was definetely political, the PT was, for all its flaws, political. They had specific themes and messages in mind. There was even that wall-street journal article defending the empire at one point, because it's not hard to read relevant themes into the story. But I don't know if TFA was political, in fact I think it was crafted to be apolitical, in that it studiously avoided any messages that could be thought of as anti-establishment or questioning the current social order in any way. Yes, the FO is a callback to the empire, who are a call back to Nazis, but they aren't a governing power in the way the empire is presented. They're a sort of space ISIS combined with Space Al Qeida, a group dedicated to "oppression" that Disney could be sure 99% of their audience (in American, Europe, and most major cities) would be fine with hating without thinking about it too much. That way Disney could void any sort of controversy as to what ideas they were trying to communicate. Trying to present Chewie as apolitical to keep from alienating (presumable) more right-wing people seems in keeping with the way the ST was set-up in TFA and concluded in TROS.

E: images are from The Rise of Skywalker Visual Dictionary.

It’s much more significant and alarming than worrying about “alienating” right-wing/conservative assholes: Disney is never going to have class consciousness/themes in their characters and movies because they’re a literal monopoly that owns 80% of the market

This is the primary reason why these sequels loving suck along with anything disney puts out in general, especially marvel.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
To all the people complaining that Kylo Ren died, I’m sorry but he murdered his loving father. You don’t come back after that, especially in a Disney movie.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Starks posted:

These read like unedited first drafts and I imagine it didn’t take longer than an afternoon to poo poo out. Vicrul sees himself as “a targeter of souls”? The gently caress?

Imagine having to crank out pages and pages and pages of lore as fast as you can and then literally thousands of hours will be spent dissecting it for decades to come. It's kinda awesome.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

remigious posted:

To all the people complaining that Kylo Ren died, I’m sorry but he murdered his loving father. You don’t come back after that, especially in a Disney movie.

Except he did, multiple times. He got saved from a deathblow with the bullshit force healing, and then multiple falls.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

The Glumslinger posted:

Except he did, multiple times. He got saved from a deathblow with the bullshit force healing, and then multiple falls.

Also LOL if you don't think force ghost Ben won't be a regular thing under Disney.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The Little Death posted:

According to the dictionary, Kylo Ren was on Mustafar at the beginning of the movie, where apparently cultists worship in Darth Vader's old castle???

I don't think that was ever explained int he film, but that fits with the sort of thing JJ would write.

All of the jedi/sith religious schism stuff and how people at large reacted over time to Return of the Jedi's events that was sorta on paper for Force Awakens (and kind of for this movie too) seemed super interesting so of course all of it actually happens off screen.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Adam Driver is amazing so I dont' give a poo poo if he breaks some sort of Star Wars rule by appearing in future content

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Mildly miffed Luke didn't show up to spook the poo poo out of Adam Driver, like he said he would

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Anyway I'm posting in here now as I finally actually saw the movie.

Just like in ESB to RotJ you kiss a Skywalker you become a Skywalker :lol:

I just like absolutely hated the first half of this movie a lot, mostly for the same reasons everyone mentioned here, nothing about how the First Order works makes any sense, Palpatine spent 30 years secretly building this grand plan up just to try to force Rey's hand by having her watch her friends lose a space battle (because that worked out great last time) when he has like hundreds of thousands of Sith follower folks right there in his throne stadium?

Most of the action scenes were pretty bad imo, the Knights of Ren were such a joke too.

I liked the space horses a lot, I was a bit surprised that you can just like, walk around on the surface of a ship in space though, I figured they were like going to blow a hole the ship and ride into it or something.

Anyway overall this wasn't nearly as much of a disaster as I was expecting but the first half of the movie or so, WOOF.

Puppet Palpatine was fun. Basically any time old cast members were around (except for weirdly edited Carrie Fisher) it was good.

I can't believe they literally ended it the way Jodorowsky's Dune was going to end though lmao

Also lol Anakin "I DON'T LIKE SAND" Skywalker's force ghost knowing that his lightsaber got buried on Tatooine.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Neo Rasa posted:

Also LOL if you don't think force ghost Ben won't be a regular thing under Disney.

Oh poo poo, you’re totally right.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

if I ever play a noble in a star wars tabletop game I'm naming him Lacquered Ebonwood Swaggerstick

also I wonder if Alsaka is like Alaska but fancier

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I’m pretty sure the cultists weren’t actual factual people ... they seemed more like apparitions

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Pollyanna posted:

I’m still disappointed that more people didn’t suffer from watching this movie. I wanted to hear stories of children crying and people breaking their figurines.

Some people liking a bad scifi movie is a much more understandable and less psychotic situation then you, a grown man, wishing emotional suffering on children over a bad scifi movie.

Your entire mentality thats been on display since this movie came out is obsessive, strange and unhinged.

Maybe a step back for a second.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

well why not posted:

I’m pretty sure the cultists weren’t actual factual people ... they seemed more like apparitions

That hadn't even crossed my mind honestly.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

The Little Death posted:

Because JJ and Disney suck at storytelling. They definetely understood the theme of violence begetting violence, since at multiple instances Rey chooses peaceful solutions over fighting, unlike all the other characters. The one time she does use violence, she instantly regrets it and heals Kilo. All of this would seem to be pointing to a climactic confrontation where she chooses not to kill him, and in so doing put an end to this cycle of hatred and darkness. But they couldn't figure out how to do that so instead "he destroys himself" because she was holding the block button and dual-wielding.

You see this has already been done in Return of the Jedi by Luke. It failed so Rey had to fix everything.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

well why not posted:

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Sith_Eternal

:shrug:

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

2house2fly posted:

It's maybe more correct to say that Adam Driver is the best actor in the entire franchise.

Ewan McGregor, Ian McDiarmid and Samuel L. Jackson would like to have a word with you

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Can we talk more about how Chewbacca, hero of both the Clone Wars and the Rebellion to Restore the Republic, considers himself apolitical?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

2house2fly posted:

Do you remember how the Knights of Ren weren't in TLJ and Rian Johnson said he couldn't figure out where to put them, and maybe they could have been Snoke's guards but he didn't want to waste the characters by killing them all at once and Kylo's connection with them would have made it weird that he just cut them all down?

It's not a story the Jedi would tell you.

Once again, Abram's needless mystery creation hurts the story rather than helps.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
They should have gotten Kojima to do the Knights of Ren, and then had them be the main villains of a spin-off videogame.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Bogus Adventure posted:

Can we talk more about how Chewbacca, hero of both the Clone Wars and the Rebellion to Restore the Republic, considers himself apolitical?

What else is there to say besides that the book is stupid?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

remigious posted:

Anakin murdered little children and was redeemed, so...

Though, Ben's arc should always ultimately end with him dying—much like Anakin—in any iteration/variation, even if he were to become some exiled ronin-type out in the uncharted parts of the galaxy. No one's saying Ben should get to have a "happy ending" or anything like that. For sure, he should die as recompense for Kylo Ren's war crimes, but the manner of how his death was written and handled in TROS wasn't polished as I feel it could have been.

[edit]

Bongo Bill posted:

What else is there to say besides that the book is stupid?

That Chewie being apolitical is now canon, lmao.

teagone fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Dec 30, 2019

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
All I could think of during the shuttle scene was Xenogears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjyh94S8Gkk

"Dropping a battleship on me is cheating. Take it back."

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

gohmak posted:

You see this has already been done in Return of the Jedi by Luke. It failed so Rey had to fix everything.

Thanks for reminding me how they cut the dialog of Palpatine saying the only reason Vader turned was his family connection to Luke

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
These are dumb, but I appreciate the ScreenRant pitch meeting videos. This one for TROS is pretty good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2zZFtq13c4

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

This movie was so drat stupid. Why the hell does Sheev force suck the life out of Rey and Kylo Ren and regenerate into... A wrinkly old guy still, but with fingers now. Like for real, you could have had him just be like he was in the Phantom Menace, or make him Matt Smith (which I'm sure must have been a plan at some point). Just one moment of sheer idiocy in a movie full of it.

Rey has presumably never seen the emperor before, she must have been so confused. "Is that it. Your glaucoma has gone and your pinkie regrew".

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

tylersayten posted:

It’s much more significant and alarming than worrying about “alienating” right-wing/conservative assholes: Disney is never going to have class consciousness/themes in their characters and movies because they’re a literal monopoly that owns 80% of the market

This is the primary reason why these sequels loving suck along with anything disney puts out in general, especially marvel.

:yeah:

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Literally the only thing I'm happy about with where they took Rey was making her close enough to dark emperess that there will be fan theories about her turning into that after the chronology of Rise of Skywalker. Best Rey moment in the series: Pottering around her home on Jakku to Rey's theme.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The sooner Star Wars fans achieve a Transformer Fan level of self-awareness, the better off we'll be I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Boxman posted:

The sooner Star Wars fans achieve a Transformer Fan level of self-awareness, the better off we'll be I think.

The thing is Transformers is regularly completely rebooted to sell toys to a new generation of children, which encourages a more easygoing and self-aware attitude amongst fans, while Star Wars has been absolutely reliant on the connection to the most terminal cases of nostalgia poisoning of an entire culture. And even then Geewunners are a thing