Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Martman posted:

Every garbage-tier video game movie sequel should have Annihilation as its subtitle. Worked for Mortal Kombat... I'm ready for Super Mario Bros.: Annihilation

I think they should go in a different direction: Annihilation 2: Super Mario Bros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

It has the budget of one, but a thousand times the gumption. It's really not a bad watch if you're okay with it looking like a SyFy movie.

It has so much Doom packed into every scene that I couldn't help but enjoy it. The big color-coded key cards, the HUDs, the repetitive hallways, the various weapons like the shotgun and chainsaw, the BFG, it's just a big love letter to the games.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

ChickenMedium posted:

I think they should go in a different direction: Annihilation 2: Super Mario Bros.
Now that I'm thinking about it... how the hell did they not call it Mortal Kombat: Fatality

Also, finally watched You Were Never Really Here and holy crap that was good. I had no idea Jonny Greenwood did the music, but I kept thinking the score was weirdly good throughout.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Just saw the documentary Tell Me Who I Am on Netflix, good poo poo. Trigger warning: child molestation/sexual assault content.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I haven't watched it yet, but despite it's name Sweetheart is a monster movie with very good reviews. It's up on Netflix so I'm looking forward to checking it out tomorrow.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

The internet nerds in Don't gently caress with Cats reminded me of the nerds in Beyond the Curve (the Flat Earther doc). They were annoying, and it was sort of worse because at least with the flat earth people, you can feel okay hating them. These people are doing something sort of noble, although it's icky to be so consumed with an internet chase and hand-wringing over choosing to watch awful videos.

I was sort of impressed with Luka's "catfishing" skills. When internet detectives on Reddit/SA get on the trail of someone, there are generally so many breadcrumbs that someone gets incontrovertibly doxxed immediately. He left clever clues -- only liking the one video with a sockpuppet account, for example. That also didn't seem consistent with who he was, at all. But then again, I never thought the people on the fishing end of Catfish or the series seemed particularly brainy or tech savvy. They're just careful at concealing their tracks in a way I would think would be more difficult to pull off. He left it amorphous enough that a full time team of doxx nerds couldn't nail him down with enough certainty for anyone to act on until he made a snuff film.

As for the police, I'm on the fence. Yes, deliberate animal cruelty is a sign of pretty serious mental illness. But kittens are put to death every day in shelters, but in what we deem a humane way. The crime we're all mad about is scalding people's brains with his sickness, really. I have a hard time feeling it's worth the cops' time to chase down a few dead kittens, as callous as that is to say.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Shelters don’t put down cats for fun, they do out of necessity.

mystes
May 31, 2006

bort posted:

Yes, deliberate animal cruelty is a sign of pretty serious mental illness. But kittens are put to death every day in shelters, but in what we deem a humane way.
"Animals die every day, therefore torturing animals to death is okay." Does this logic also apply to humans?

bort
Mar 13, 2003

I'm not saying it's okay, I'm conflicted as to whether it's pragmatic for the police to get involved.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

bort posted:

I'm not saying it's okay, I'm conflicted as to whether it's pragmatic for the police to get involved.

I hope you don’t have any pets :(

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

bort posted:

lol go gently caress yourself

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Cop: Eh, like a million people died today. How am I supposed to decide if this was a murder?

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
The grayscale American flag with a single blue stripe except instead of the punisher skull it's hello kitty

Thank you, officers!!!!!!!!

Edit:

On topic: the confession killer is incredible. I had no idea about this guy at all, but what a comedy of errors. And I'm only three episodes in.

Just staggering incompetence and corruption. I def wouldn't want the texas rangers investigating my murdered pet

eighty-four merc fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Dec 28, 2019

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
The new John Mulaney special is amazing

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

veni veni veni posted:

I haven't watched it yet, but despite it's name Sweetheart is a monster movie with very good reviews. It's up on Netflix so I'm looking forward to checking it out tomorrow.

I have seen it and liked it a lot. It's by the same guy who directed Sleight.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

tweet my meat posted:

The new John Mulaney special is amazing

It popped up yesterday when I was watching Lost in Space, is it really a kids special? Or was that just the hook

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I mostly enjoyed it, but not as much as I would have enjoyed a new stand-up special. Several of the songs were really annoying, and it didn't do anything that Wonder Showzen didn't pull off much better.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.

bort posted:

well it's a crime to torture animals so...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I came in here to say that I hated Felicity Jones' character in The Areonauts because she fucks with a dog. The movie was a bore too.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
6 Underground is pretty entertaining lol

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I have seen it and liked it a lot. It's by the same guy who directed Sleight.

Yeah it was a fun monster flick. Kinda loses some steam by the middle of the movie but it was still mostly enjoyable all around. Gonna check out Sleight now.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

mcmagic posted:

I came in here to say that I hated Felicity Jones' character in The Areonauts because she fucks with a dog. The movie was a bore too.

Like she straight up Morally Inepts a dog?

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
Stumbled across Bong Joon Ho's segment in the 2008 anthology movie Tokyo! on Prime and thought it was fantastic.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

socketwrencher posted:

Stumbled across Bong Joon Ho's segment in the 2008 anthology movie Tokyo! on Prime and thought it was fantastic.

Yeah the whole thing is neat but BJH knocks it out of the park.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Why didn't anyone tell me Married With Children is on Hulu. It's trash TV but it's the best kind of trash TV.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
probably because it's not that notable that a streaming service has one of the several dozen sitcoms about a lovely husband and a shrew of a wife that aged like milk

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

flatluigi posted:

probably because it's not that notable that a streaming service has one of the several dozen sitcoms about a lovely husband and a shrew of a wife that aged like milk

Uhh, no, flatluigi.

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 29, 2019

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

flatluigi posted:

*toilet flush*

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I liked the show when I was younger and got incredibly disappointed when I went to rewatch it relatively recently, y'all probably should do the same

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

flatluigi posted:

Peg aged pretty well imo

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Sony used to broadcast video clips to prehistoric smartphones over MobiTV, and for shows like Married With Children, they'd trim the thing down to the better five minutes of each episode, including shortened opening and ending credits. It is probably a better way to digest old sitcoms in general.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The main thing dragging down MwC is the studio audience. Like All in the Family had the problem of some viewers uncritically liking Archie Bunker, but in Married With Children you can hear all the people who clearly think Al is some kind of weird hero.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Als self deprecating one liners hold up somewhat well.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

flatluigi posted:

Peg is a huge winner and Al has done very well

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

Maxwell Lord posted:

The main thing dragging down MwC is the studio audience. Like All in the Family had the problem of some viewers uncritically liking Archie Bunker, but in Married With Children you can hear all the people who clearly think Al is some kind of weird hero.

Sounds like someone is sore they never scored 4 touchdowns in a single game.

But yeah the idolizing Al is weird. He's the architect of his own problems 99% of the time. I think some viewers like his anti-feminist poo poo and the show pokes fun at ladies as well.

Then there's the way Al hates his family but if someone fucks with Kelly he beats the poo poo out of them and is a big hero for doing so, makes him seem admirable.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
MwC pokes fun at everyone. People liked Al because Ed O'Neil is a good actor and sold the character as a regular guy whose life didn't turn out the way he hoped but it's not all bad, not because he's admirable.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I mean, guys my age didn't care about any of that. It was all about Kelly Bundy.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Medullah posted:

I mean, guys my age didn't care about any of that. It was all about Kelly Bundy.

*howls and cat-calls from studio audience*

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Three recommendations from this weekend:

Season 4 of The Magicians has been up on Netflix for a few weeks now, and I got to rewatch it. It really is one of the most compelling shows on TV, and everyone should struggle through the rough season 1 to get to the brilliant later seasons.

The new John Mulaney kids special is legit weird and hilarious and much more enjoyable than I expected.

I unfairly wrote off You because it started as a Lifetime show. Turns out to be insanely compelling, and I couldn't stop watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Is the second season of Man in the High Castle worth watching?