Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Boxman posted:

The sooner Star Wars fans achieve a Transformer Fan level of self-awareness, the better off we'll be I think.

If your solution to Disney's takeover of Star Wars is "consume more product"...

Yeah that's the only way you're going to remain an active fan of Star Wars.

I am no longer a fan of Star Wars.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The thing is Transformers is regularly completely rebooted to sell toys to a new generation of children, which encourages a more easygoing and self-aware attitude amongst fans, while Star Wars has been absolutely reliant on the connection to the most terminal cases of nostalgia poisoning of an entire culture. And even then Geewunners are a thing

The actual plot of G1 transformers has limitless potential, just like Star Wars.

All big corporate efforts can really seem to do is reboot it over and over, just like Star Wars.

One of the last great innovations I know of was that Beast Wars happens inside a time loop, so the goal of the heroes is to escape Beast Wars and return G1 to its rightful place. Not unlike Rogue One.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's good to move beyond fandom into a more critical way of interacting with media.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

AccountSupervisor posted:

Some people liking a bad scifi movie is a much more understandable and less psychotic situation then you, a grown man, wishing emotional suffering on children over a bad scifi movie.

Your entire mentality thats been on display since this movie came out is obsessive, strange and unhinged.

Maybe a step back for a second.

You are taking this far more seriously than I am. You’re the one that needs to step back.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

The Little Death posted:

According to the dictionary, Kylo Ren was on Mustafar at the beginning of the movie, where apparently cultists worship in Darth Vader's old castle???

I don't think that was ever explained int he film, but that fits with the sort of thing JJ would write.

Movie: Goes to Tatooine ten times.
EU: Those were actually totally different planets.

Movie: Blows up Coruscant.
EU: That was actually a totally different planet.

Movie: Goes to Yavin IV.
EU: It's not Yavin IV.

Movie: Goes to Hoth. No, it's salt now.

Movie: Finally goes to a new planet we've never seen before, where there's some kind of red forest.
EU: THIS IS IT GUYS! It's the hell moon that was covered in lava and totally void of life last time you saw it, don't you recognize it???

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I went to Tatooine once when I was 10. Lots more Arabs than you'd expect from the movies.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
In addition to having no positive associations for Luke or Leia, Tatooine has no positive associations for Rey either right? She lived there miserably as a slave junker after being sold by her parents. Just having the character go back to a place from the first movie doesn't make it a good bookend! It has to make sense in the story that they'd go there!

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

2house2fly posted:

In addition to having no positive associations for Luke or Leia, Tatooine has no positive associations for Rey either right? She lived there miserably as a slave junker after being sold by her parents. Just having the character go back to a place from the first movie doesn't make it a good bookend! It has to make sense in the story that they'd go there!

She has positive associations with Tatooine because she's a fan of the original movies, that was clearly established.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

cargohills posted:

My favourite "Rey is a dark side user" moment was probably in Episode 7, where after Kylo helpfully reminds her that the force exists she closes her eyes serenely, whispers "the force..." and then just starts wailing on him in anger.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

2house2fly posted:

She's never been to to Tatooine until the end.

She's from the unrelated yet very similar Jakku

I just like this dude

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 30, 2019

Lilikoi
Oct 11, 2012
“One of the reasons that Rose has a few less scenes than we would like her to have has to do with the difficulty of using Carrie Fisher’s footage in the way we wanted to,” Terrio explained. “We wanted Rose to be the anchor at the rebel base who was with Leia. We thought we couldn’t leave Leia at the base without any of the principals who we love, so Leia and Rose were working together.”

lol this rear end in a top hat

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The reason that a completely new character that JJ made up as the result of a bet has three times as many lines as Rose is because uuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhh *wet fart noise*

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
How can the slug man have a talent for the mechanical? He doesn't have any arms!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The Little Death posted:

I just like this dude

I’m the well muscled undulating trunk.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Who even was Zorhi Bliss. Like she was a drug dealer like Poe was, I guess? It's amazing that they even bothered with her. Had to make sure we knew she survived though!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

2house2fly posted:

How can the slug man have a talent for the mechanical? He doesn't have any arms!

Maybe he's like a meat R2-D2?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Schwarzwald posted:

Maybe he's like a meat R2-D2?

"It's nice to MEAT2-D2."

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

The Little Death posted:

fair, but it fuels my hate

These are just fun

I read that last one as Alaskan military riding tradition - and suddenly imagined an alternate history where Russia kept Alaska and it was ruled by Cossacks.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Bogus Adventure posted:

Can we talk more about how Chewbacca, hero of both the Clone Wars and the Rebellion to Restore the Republic, considers himself apolitical?

Honestly, I think that was poor word choice than anything else. Chewie is Dominic Toretto "Ride or Die" with his family. Whatever they support/fight for, he's with them. Assuming Han, Luke and Leia had for some weird reason decided to support the First Order, Chewie would have been with them because they're his family.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Isn’t that more because he was a life debt to Han so he’s going to do whatever Han asks? I guess after Han’s death he’s free to do whatever.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Chewie puts Obi Wan in touch with Han because he senses it’s his chance to get his business partner involved in killing fascists.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Zori bliss was necessary to introduce us to the beloved babu frik. That said, her character and all her scenes should have just been replaced with babu frik

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

One other thing I did like in the movie was when they have that fight with Bliss's gang and Rey has Bliss pinned down with a lightsaber and she says "we really need your help please!"

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

No Mods No Masters posted:

Zori bliss was necessary to introduce us to the beloved babu frik. That said, her character and all her scenes should have just been replaced with babu frik

Incidentally I mean this in the broadest possible way. Babu frik, poe's jilted lover. Babu frik, saying all of zori bliss's lines but in frik speak without subtitles. Babu frik, somehow piloting a ship at the end, and etc.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Yeah but what if it was a thumbs up and he was shredding on a skateboard instead

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It would be cool to put kylo ren in a fighting game a la the old yoda/vader soul caliber tie-in and have him be able to freeze projectiles, as he famously did in star wars 7. Hire me disney

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I remember the one for TLJ had a big spread on Snoke and had a bunch of arrows pointing at bits of his hosed up face

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The reason that a completely new character that JJ made up as the result of a bet has three times as many lines as Rose is because uuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhh *wet fart noise*

He could've stuck Dominic Monaghan with CGI Leia for a similar effect, too

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
So I watched the RLM review of RoS... and I find it really weird this notion of (paraphrasing0 "The Last Jedi painted you in a corner where either you brought back Palpatine or just made a new evil lord figure.

I'm not even arguing about the quality of TLJ... but the film ends with Adam Driver--one of the best actors currently working--as tyrannical space dictator. Like... you can't figure out a way to make the work?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think that viewpoint is espoused by people who feel that kylo was made too much of a tantrum baby who has been clowned on by literally everyone and you can't take him seriously as the big villain. I think this is the rich evans position in particular. I don't agree w/ it either though, kylo ben was completely wasted in the bad film

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

A pretty insightful (and slightly acerbic) post from the no-spoilers thread about this subject:

Lt. Danger posted:

JJ (and a lot of nerds) can only imagine stories in terms of plot and plot devices: Jedi lightsabers and Sith daggers, death stars, Emperors. Most of the hooks TLJ has are more character-based: Kylo is erratic and in charge, Hux hates Kylo, Rey is spiritually complete, the main three are finally together, there are Force sensitives out there to be recruited. Exploiting these to tell a story requires that you know a) who the characters are and b) what the characters want, which JJ (and a lot of nerds) famously struggles with.

It's just easier to have another Death Star.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Pollyanna posted:

You are taking this far more seriously than I am. You’re the one that needs to step back.

I am hardly the first person to comment on your absolutely bizzare reactions to not everyone hating this movie. Its pretty weird my guy.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

I'd like to posit an alternative hypothesis: crinkled finger resulting from the chronic masturbation

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

The Little Death posted:

I just like this dude

He looks like the prototypical goon

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Looks like the Obi-Wan show will have a young Luke in it. At this point this whole series has totally lost its sanctity for me and my response is "gently caress it, why not?" Since we're not going to get an original story, interesting thematics, or allegorical politics, at least I can see Stranger Things Luke Skywalker pilot T-16s with his knucklehead friends.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

2house2fly posted:

A pretty insightful (and slightly acerbic) post from the no-spoilers thread about this subject:

It’s still hilarious he HAD to blow a planet even though it went directly against the established plot of the Destroyers needing X hours and a strict navigation anchor to get out of where they were. It wasn’t enough to say these destroyers had Death Star tech. Let’s just have only one manage to be fully operational immediately.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

feedmyleg posted:

Looks like the Obi-Wan show will have a young Luke in it. At this point this whole series has totally lost its sanctity for me and my response is "gently caress it, why not?" Since we're not going to get an original story, interesting thematics, or allegorical politics, at least I can see Stranger Things Luke Skywalker pilot T-16s with his knucklehead friends.

The entire show will be from Luke’s POV and Obi-Wan’s adventures to keep him safe will take place entirely in the background like Abed’s background story in Community.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

feedmyleg posted:

Disney sees the OT as a neverending well that they can keep dipping into. They are right so long as people reward them by giving them money.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I'm not gonna say no to Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan in an Obi-Wan show that features a young Luke. I'm not crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Star Wars TV shows have about as good a batting average as Star Wars movies, and unlike the movies they don't seem to show signs of decline under Disney. I'm down.