Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

And also see Raid 2. It's a very different movie from the first one, more of a moody gangland piece, but it still has some amazing(ly brutal) action.

e.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncoGCXWf96s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Basebf555 posted:

I would say that if you wanted to have an idea of what action films were like in this decade, it'd very very hard to do that without The Raid and John Wick. Those are the two movies that I think have defined the genre this decade more than any others.

Yeah, I never liked how John Wick looked in the clips I saw, but I don't want to be totally ignorant of a genre so I think I'm going to bite the bullet on both of those.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
The actual action isn't too hot, but One Down, Two to Go is up on Tubi. The cast is the real draw, as it features Jim Brown, Jim Kelly, Richard Roundtree, and Fred Williamson (who also directs). Gigantic handguns also feature prominently.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Darthemed posted:

I still can't believe how high they stuck The Winter Soldier on that list.

That site is constantly kowtowing to the MCU fan base that desperately wants to believe those movies are the height of the art form. Their Twitter is constantly showing “perfect shots” from those movies that are the most boring, muddled stuff.

https://twitter.com/oneperfectshot/status/1204788347325030400?s=21

Ah yes a perfect shot, totally on par with this

https://twitter.com/oneperfectshot/status/1091158229600608256?s=21

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Darthemed posted:

I still can't believe how high they stuck The Winter Soldier on that list.

I am actually quite a bit of a fan of Winter Soldier, and there's only one good and one decent action scene in the whole thing. It doesn't belong up there.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Why is every Korean movie so blue

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

You'd be blue too with all the dang kid-death that happens in their films.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Jack B Nimble posted:

Looking at the list posted earlier and I've only seen fury road, I guess somehow I stopped watching action movies? What are the top five I must see from that list/the last decade. The Raid's been on my radar but most of these I only know as movie previews I wasn't interested in.

Oh wait, I saw winter soldier for some reason, but those are the only two.

Definitely watch The Raid. If you like it, check out The Raid 2 and The Night Comes for Us. John Wick and Dredd are also very much worth checking out. I wouldn’t call Atomic Blonde a great movie, but it’s action scenes are quite good. And if you don’t mind a lower budget, Avengement was my real introduction to Scott Adkins (I watched half of Green Street 3 while falling asleep once) and it’s a fun one.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I'm really glad that list got me onto Tokyo Tribe, i haven't finished it yet but holy poo poo it's not quite like anything else.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Dredd is a loving awesome movie, there’s nothing flashy about the action scenes but that’s part of why they’re so good. The script’s a firecracker as well. I’ll echo the love for the John Wick movies, the Raid, Headshot, and The Night Comes For Us.

Hahahahahahaha

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The Night Comes for Us is like a graduate level version of The Raid. Don't watch it first, because if the brutality in The Raid is a turn-off then you definitely won't like The Night Comes For Us.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The Night Comes for Us is a legit slasher/action movie hybrid. Except all the slashing and body horror happens during the action scenes.

It's absolutely loving insane in the best way, but it is - and I say this as someone who isn't really too bothered by regular gore - a hard watch. Bodies get mangled in all sorts of horrific ways.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

It's like looking at a slab of concrete.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

It's like looking at a slab of concrete.

Strange way to compliment a dude's butt.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Lobok posted:

Strange way to compliment a dude's butt.

I can't believe people actually think Chris Evans has a nice rear end in a world where Tom Hardy exists. :colbert:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I can't believe people actually think Chris Evans has a nice rear end in a world where Tom Hardy exists. :colbert:

Yeah but that's Great Britain's arse.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Love too have my eyes immediately drawn to a modernist building in the background instead of characters in the foreground.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Love too have my eyes immediately drawn to a modernist building in the background instead of characters in the foreground.

I keep looking at the weird reception desk on the right thinking there's more to it

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

That's one of those coffee / snack stands large buildings have so the workers don't have to leave the building. I wonder if the Starbucks employee running it was also Hydra.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

duz posted:

That's one of those coffee / snack stands large buildings have so the workers don't have to leave the building. I wonder if the Starbucks employee running it was also Hydra.

Close one Starbucks and two more take its place.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Picked up Run All Night at Dollar Tree, and I've gotta say, for an 'action dad' film, it's considerably better than I expected. It feels a bit like it's checking off boxes, since there's gunplay, punching, a car chase, a high-rise building escape, and so on, but it strings all the events together in an enjoyable enough way. Biggest complaint would be that the hitman played by Common just kind of disappears after eight or so minutes of story involvement, especially since he does a more than solid job of quietly building details of his character in the time he has. Yeah, he shows back up, but it's very abrupt. And the editing sometimes succumbs to the 'five cuts in two seconds' impulse. Fun seeing Liam Neeson and Ed Harris play off of each other, though.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Just watched Ninja 2: Shadow of a Tear, this might be my new favorite Adkins movie. Non-stop ownage.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Finally saw Gemini Man and. Woof. Nothing in this movie works. The acting from everyone is weirdly stiff, the script needed another dialogue pass (every line just feels slightly....off), most of the action is actually kind of boring. There's a gun battle at the end that feels like a Call of Duty set piece and the CG is just straight up terrible. Young Will Smith never moves in a convincing manner.

Ang Lee what the heck are you doin' buddy.

Also everyone needs to stop wasting Benedict Wong! He's a great actor with a cool voice! Let him do cool stuff too god drat it! :argh:

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Lobok posted:

Close one Starbucks and two more take its place.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I was reading some of the marketing fluff for the new Witcher show, and it included this tidbit "Vladimir Furdik, the veteran stuntman and fight designer (of Game of Thrones fame who eventually ended up portraying the Night King on the hit show) praised Henry Cavill's fighting skills as the best he had ever seen in his decades long career."
I dismissed that as the usual marketing hyperbole, but holy poo poo the first big fight scene in the show is super loving impressive. A great combination of narrative build, cinematography and stunt work. It's genuinely super loving impressive. I'm glad massive nerd Henry Cavill got to play the nerd god.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Greetings from the years 2011 and 2014!

John Wick has a surprisingly good human drama wrapped around it's action scenes; you could set the first five minutes aside and it'd be a tolerably good short film. Also, and I know I must be five years behind on this, but Keanu Reeves has matured into a decent dramatic actor?

Regarding the action/fight scenes themselves I didn't really like them, which is sort of odd because I've shot a couple USPSA matches and trained a bit in MMA, so you'd think watching a man hip toss someone and then shoot him from a retention position would be cool but I dunno, something about the "hitman" aesthetic rubs me the wrong way, I only really like it in Collateral where the suave assassin is expressly a monstrous villain.

Still, the thread was 100% right that I needed to see at least one John Wick movie to not be hopelessly behind the times regarding action flicks, and it was by no means a bad movie or a chore to watch. Still, I'm not eager to see John Wick 2, 3, 4, etc.

Conversely, The Raid is everything I wanted; Jakarta taking the place of Hong Kong for a hard-boiled action film that reminded me both of Die Hard and The Green Room. There's so much here that I love:

• The setting of the siege/entrapment. The police are trapped yet simultaneously defending the rooms they occupy; they have to fight their way to new positions just to stay one step ahead of their overwhelming attacks. That's such a great framework for their increasingly desperate gambits, heroics that often buy them only a closed door or a temporary hiding place.
  • Action devolving into increasingly primitive and barbaric combat; guns, knives, fists. Likewise, the protagonists suffer a steady decline physically.
  • Bit of an ensemble cast; most of the major police officers get at least a scene or two where they're fighting someone.
  • Novel (for me, a white American with bad taste) to see an Indonesian action film. I don't think there's a single white person in the whole movie?

Also, was the 2012 Dredd influenced by The Raid? In retrospect the premise seems similar but what do I know, the basic premise could be a staple of the genre with a long tradition.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's not really clear if Dredd was at all influenced by The Raid or if the similarities are just a coincidence. The Raid only came out 4 or 5 months before Dredd so it seems unlikely that it could've been too much of an influence. But it'd been shown at a few film festivals in 2011 so I suppose it's possible.

The Raid 2 is, in some ways, better than the original but be aware that it's very different. Same protagonist, played by Iko Uwais, and same style of action choreography, but it's a completely different type of story. It's more of like an intricately plotted Godfather-style gangster story, with the action and violence mixed in. It can be disappointing for some people who are hoping for a more direct follow-up. And the culture shock is amped up too, because now it's not just a simple cops vs. bad guys trapped in a building set-up, there are a bunch of factions and character dynamics to keep track of. It took me probably three times through the movie to fully follow every plot point but it was a rewarding experience.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Jack B Nimble posted:

[*] The setting of the siege/entrapment. The police are trapped yet simultaneously defending the rooms they occupy; they have to fight their way to new positions just to stay one step ahead of their overwhelming attacks. That's such a great framework for their increasingly desperate gambits, heroics that often buy them only a closed door or a temporary hiding place.

Also, was the 2012 Dredd influenced by The Raid? In retrospect the premise seems similar but what do I know, the basic premise could be a staple of the genre with a long tradition.

Surprisingly there was no connection between Dredd and The Raid, we just got lucky and got two great action movies with the same basic premise, just one had martial arts and the other had guns.

The refrigerator bit in The Raid was great. Jakarta really is where it's at these days. You'll also want to look into Tony Jaa, Iko Uwais, and Jeeja Yanin. Tony has a few films on Netflix, but you'll want to find at least the Protector series. Iko starred in The Raid and has done a bunch of other stuff on Netflix. Jeeja Yanin has Chocolate and Raging Phoenix on YouTube's paid side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwutdRZWNEM

I will shut up about this movie when I see other people talking about how awesome it is.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Dredd started filming first, IIRC, but The Raid was first to be released. (Something I read once suggested that The Raid's creator almost certainly saw the Dredd script before shooting his own movie, but the two films are different enough in style and specifics that the basic concept of 'cops trapped in a tower block have to fight their way to the final boss' is really the biggest similarity.)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea for more Iko Uwais, you've got Headshot, Merantau and Wu Assassins(series) and then Joe Taslim from The Raid got his own chance to star in one with The Night Comes for Us, which also has Iko in a smaller role. Then there's Triple Threat, which I thought was just ok but it does have Uwais, Tony Jaa and like ten other big action stars in it.

All of those are currently on Netflix, along with stuff like Ip Man, Avengement, Boyka: Undisputed, Kung Fu Hustle, and a whole bunch of classic kung fu stuff. Can't really beat Netflix for action films right now.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 30, 2019

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Basebf555 posted:

The Raid 2 is, in some ways, better than the original but be aware that it's very different. Same protagonist, played by Iko Uwais, and same style of action choreography, but it's a completely different type of story.

The action in Raid 2 is also shot differently than the first one. Much longer takes with more blows exchanged in each shot, more camera movement. There's also that great oner during the car chase where the camera leaves one car through a window and drifts down to another car and through it. To me this raises Raid 2 to another level, certainly as far as degree of difficulty in filmmaking goes.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

dokmo posted:

The action in Raid 2 is also shot differently than the first one. Much longer takes with more blows exchanged in each shot, more camera movement. There's also that great oner during the car chase where the camera leaves one car through a window and drifts down to another car and through it. To me this raises Raid 2 to another level, certainly as far as degree of difficulty in filmmaking goes.

Agreed, overall I think the action is better for the reasons you mention. I was referring more to the martial arts style, which is still Silat. Silat is a big reason why The Raid stood out to me, so if you want more of that you'll get it in The Raid 2.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Let's say I've seen The Raid but no other Indonesian action film and I wanted to set up a new year's day triple feature to really sink my teeth into the sub genre. Let's also assume I equally enjoy kung fu, gun fights, etc. What are the three I watch on Netflix?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Payndz posted:

Dredd started filming first, IIRC, but The Raid was first to be released. (Something I read once suggested that The Raid's creator almost certainly saw the Dredd script before shooting his own movie, but the two films are different enough in style and specifics that the basic concept of 'cops trapped in a tower block have to fight their way to the final boss' is really the biggest similarity.)

Yeah, post production and studio fuckery caused Dredd's release to be after The Raid's despite being filmed first.
Also Dredd had some great use of 3D in it.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Man I really want another Dredd movie that we’ll never get.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

mllaneza posted:

Jeeja Yanin has Chocolate and Raging Phoenix on YouTube's paid side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwutdRZWNEM

I will shut up about this movie when I see other people talking about how awesome it is.

I love Chocolate but didn't know of Raging Phoenix. Thank you for bringing it to my attention!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Jack B Nimble posted:

Let's say I've seen The Raid but no other Indonesian action film and I wanted to set up a new year's day triple feature to really sink my teeth into the sub genre. Let's also assume I equally enjoy kung fu, gun fights, etc. What are the three I watch on Netflix?

Raid 2, spl 2 aka killzone 2, night comes for us in that order. spl 2 is on hoopla which you should have access to through your library card

Edit god damnit I thought raid 2 was on streaming services, which it isn't. I'm so sick of having to check every title on just watch

If you solely want indonesian martial arts on Netflix just search by iko uwais or Joe taslim.

going streaming only for that top 50 action list is going to get like 25 matches at most, it's infuriating . Probably like 5 per common service (Netflix, prime video, hoopla, kanopy)

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 30, 2019

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Jack B. Nimble, you seem like someone who may not have seen Five Elements Ninjas(Netflix). If not, correct that right away.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Basebf555 posted:

Jack B. Nimble, you seem like someone who may not have seen Five Elements Ninjas(Netflix). If not, correct that right away.

Noted. As in, literally making a google doc, thanks everyone for the recommendations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Keep an eye on Gundala if you're into the Indonesian action scene. It's based on an Indo comic series and is basically the first film in an Indonesian version of the MCU. They've planned 1-2 movies per year for the next few years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLM9ty5GzaI