Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
You'll be around SL200 by the end of the DLC. I love DS2 even though it has some obvious flaws. The only pointer I would give going in aside from leveling up adaptability is that illusory walls work differently. Some require an item, others you have to go up to and press X. You don't hit them with a weapon like the other games. There's a shitload of cool weapons and armor sets to mess with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

my tip for ds2 is play any of the hundreds, perphas, thousands, of better video games released since tennis for two on the donner model 30 analog computer in 1958

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Dark Souls 2 sucks werewolf dick

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

EmmyOk posted:

Once I found out Gwyn could be parried I didn’t want to beat him any other way lol so it took a bit longer than expected. ty ty all friends for helping me with the hard parts :hai:

Hopefully the thread knows Das2 as comprehensively. Or just Bob perhaps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6fDaa0NpfM

Congrats!

There's no shame in skipping ds2, it has a lot more jank especially in the combat department, lots of instances of wacky hitboxes that are frustrating. But there's also a lot of neat stuff.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Go play Demon's Souls and then say you played ds2

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
You should play Demon's Souls either way

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
DS2 has some absolutely beautiful environments and great bosses but some of the design decisions are so bad I wouldn't fault anyone for only playing it once or even skipping it altogether.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Fantastic Flyer posted:

DS2 has some absolutely beautiful environments and great bosses but some of the design decisions are so bad I wouldn't fault anyone for only playing it once or even skipping it altogether.

Those are the two things it absolutely doesnt have.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Temple of amana is beautiful and hopkin green frog is mazing actually

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
early dark souls 2 footage has the fancy bloodborne cobblestones and lighting everywhere and they were developed in tandem. dont know exactly what yhis means but i think most of the released game looks almost as good as oblivion

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

The one woods area looks like a Turok level.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
DS2 is weird cuz a lot of it sucks but powerstancing is awesome and in general it has a lot of very cool weapons. Durability lowers insanely fast unless you're playing console or SOTFS though.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
DS2 would have been much better with the original lighting engine they showed off in early footage, for sure. The torch mechanic could have been a cool change to the formula if you actually couldn't see in dark areas. It's still worth playing imo because it tries new things even if some stuff doesn't pan out. Powerstancing and bonfire ascetics are good additions, for example. The DLC is really good, and if you like poring over item descriptions it's great for that.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

DS2 is weird cuz a lot of it sucks but powerstancing is awesome and in general it has a lot of very cool weapons. Durability lowers insanely fast unless you're playing console or SOTFS though.

is it possible to play non SOTFS ds2 anymore

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

EmmyOk posted:

Once I found out Gwyn could be parried I didn’t want to beat him any other way lol so it took a bit longer than expected. ty ty all friends for helping me with the hard parts :hai:

Hopefully the thread knows Das2 as comprehensively. Or just Bob perhaps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6fDaa0NpfM

DS2 really is cool, it's actually one of my favs surprisingly. Mainly for the reason others have said, it's really really fast to start a build in a particularly direction, so you can start playing around. And you get so many levels + a mechanic to reallocate your stats

Also the DLC is really really good

There is no bad Souls imo, they're just different

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

is it possible to play non SOTFS ds2 anymore

Yeah. I still have regular ds2 on steam. But most of the sotfs changes are so good that I just deal with the stuff I dont like.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Miserable Maid posted:

DS2 really is cool, it's actually one of my favs surprisingly. Mainly for the reason others have said, it's really really fast to start a build in a particularly direction, so you can start playing around. And you get so many levels + a mechanic to reallocate your stats

Also the DLC is really really good

There is no bad Souls imo, they're just different

They should have called it Dark Soulless.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

Yeah. I still have regular ds2 on steam. But most of the sotfs changes are so good that I just deal with the stuff I dont like.

I thought they delisted it from the store after SOFSTSFOS came out.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Arrhythmia posted:

Maybe, but you can still buy the DLC so there must be some way to get it.

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

net cafe scandal posted:

They should have called it Dark Soulless.

Rude

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arrhythmia posted:

Idk. I bought DS2 on release and still have it is all I know.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Larry Parrish posted:

yeah i didnt get into ds2 until scholar myself

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Drew Curtis' FARK Souls

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The DS2 DLC is great so it's worth playing overall, but it's definitely the weakest entry and is far too long. feels like a fangame

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's worth a try at least. If you bounce off of it it's no harm no foul

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

The DS2 DLC is great so it's worth playing overall, but it's definitely the weakest entry and is far too long. feels like a fangame

they apparently made it in like 11 months so I can see why it has so much unfinished art and level design

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010
I was gonna do a stream joke run of ds2 where I made my character look like Vivian James the 4chan meme gamer babe but then I realized i didn't have the heart to play ds2 again and the idea itself sucked rear end. There was a whole ARG here etc

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Gonna power through it anyways because my pal and I are playing though all the from games together and she’s most of the way through 2.

Powered through a inch of NG+ in an hour or so. Up to the gaping dragon because I want the souls but gonna skip BT with the master key

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

EmmyOk posted:

Gonna power through it anyways because my pal and I are playing though all the from games together and she’s most of the way through 2.

It's definitely worth a go. The base game doesn't take that long and I think Miyazaki was more involved in the DLC so the quality of the bosses and level design is better. 2 has the best storytelling and characters of the Souls games imo so that's a big part of why it worked for me

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

MeatwadIsGod posted:

2 has the best storytelling and characters of the Souls games imo so that's a big part of why it worked for me

“...”

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I’ll grant that it has the nicest hub music and that I had a lot of fun with pvp

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
To elaborate on my earlier post, I think 2 really does have cool areas and bosses, it's just that most of them are in the DLC and a lot of areas have lovely enemies that ruin the mood (those sniper mages in Amana, the tons of Alonne Knights in the Iron Keep). It's been a while since I played so I looked up the areas again and there are so many dark, dismal places I forgot about lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

the dlc areas also have the worst from levels ever worse than fuckings field 1 and eternal ring

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
It's a pretty crazy quality shift for sure. The Frigid Outskirts are easily the worst area in any game I've played.

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
Brume Tower: Wide views of an eerily beautiful wasteland, reawakening ancient forge systems to use as elevators, fighting great bosses at the top and bottom of the tower
Iron Passage: lovely dark tunnels full of enemies that end with a worse version of an already terrible boss

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Each DLC has an optional area that I think was designed so that co-op players without the DLC could get the items from them. Like the Cave of the Dead in Sunken King is one of them where you just fight three NPCs at once and that's the "boss." I didn't even bother with those areas since I played offline.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

net cafe scandal posted:

I’ll grant that it has the nicest hub music and that I had a lot of fun with pvp
Majula deserves to be in a much better game... thinking about it again

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

OP im gonna go ahead and say that your allowed to play Dark Souls 2 if you acknowledge that it sucks big balls due to all the good people at From working on Bloodborne at the exact same tjme, Miyazaki included

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Bought Gwyn’s armour and wearing it feels like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fantastic Flyer posted:

Brume Tower: Wide views of an eerily beautiful wasteland, reawakening ancient forge systems to use as elevators, fighting great bosses at the top and bottom of the tower
Iron Passage: lovely dark tunnels full of enemies that end with a worse version of an already terrible boss

I think Brume Tower was based on scrapped plans for the fifth Demons's Souls headstone, so there you go