Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

teagone posted:

I'm not gonna say no to Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan in an Obi-Wan show that features a young Luke. I'm not crazy.

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah. I was disappointed to see them canning the Obi Wan film but this will probably be better.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think ewan and 15 year old luke should go on an adventure together, then ewan wipes luke's memory at the end or whatever. Well, that's my treatment

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

No Mods No Masters posted:

I think ewan and 15 year old luke should go on an adventure together, then ewan wipes luke's memory at the end or whatever. Well, that's my treatment

New Force power!

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Yeah. I was disappointed to see them canning the Obi Wan film but this will probably be better.

I just hope they make the episodes around an hour long each.

Bogus Adventure posted:

Disney sees the OT as a neverending well that they can keep dipping into. They are right so long as people reward them by giving them money.

I wish they'd do this with PT era and give us a buddy cop style live action Jedi show.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I want Clone War flashbacks guest starring Hayden Christensen, with a bunch of match cuts from Obi-Wan's experiences in the war to whatever is happening on Tatooine and vice versa. Hoping the tone evokes how fighting in the Clone War and living in its aftermath has affected Obi-Wan. Something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9j7kLG7VK8

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Davros1 posted:

New Force power!

It works because like most if not all "new" force powers, it actually preexists in blanchingly terrible forms in the old EU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The reason that a completely new character that JJ made up as the result of a bet has three times as many lines as Rose is because uuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhh *wet fart noise*

I just read about all this now and like what the gently caress.

I'm not even like a super Rose fan, she's a fun character though and I like the character and was looking forward to seeing more of her after Last Jedi. But like EVERY single time that guy showed up in my head I was like.....who the gently caress is this dude and why does he keep appearing out of nowhere randomly to like drop truth bombs about the force and who Chewbacca is and stuff on the main characters?

Just, like, how up your own rear end and lacking in self awareness are you to be like "Huh, I feel like I'm in a pickle with where the story should go, this will be challenging to work out we've got a lot of ground to cover. Also 50/50 chance I'll drop one of my friends into the movie and give him five minutes of dialogue, no big."

I mean he's some combination of huge dumbass or just legit did not give a gently caress about this movie on any level, but either way it sure as hell shows in the finished product.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

teagone posted:

I want Clone War flashbacks guest starring Hayden Christensen, with a bunch of match cuts from Obi-Wan's experiences in the war to whatever is happening on Tatooine and vice versa. Hoping the tone evokes how fighting in the Clone War and living in its aftermath has affected Obi-Wan. Something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9j7kLG7VK8

Always preferred this edit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN74bOubUug

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yeah, both have the same idea. Hope the show explores Obi-Wan's past trauma.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

You can tell JJ isn't really done with star wars because he's still on the PR circuit making up rear end-covering lies. We will never be free of this man and his endless death stars

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

teagone posted:

Yeah, both have the same idea. Hope the show explores Obi-Wan's past trauma.

And it better not take place entirely on Tatooine.

*Monkey's paw curls*

Goddammit not another "not Tatooine" desert planet

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Spacebump posted:

I wish they'd do this with PT era and give us a buddy cop style live action Jedi show.

:same:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

You can tell JJ isn't really done with star wars because he's still on the PR circuit making up rear end-covering lies. We will never be free of this man and his endless death stars

Soon all media will be Disney, and Disney's vision will be brought to us by JJ Abrams.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I still like my idea of a Mad Max-style warlord kidnapping a bunch of children (including Luke) as hostages and Obi-Wan and Lars teaming up to free them.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

feedmyleg posted:

Looks like the Obi-Wan show will have a young Luke in it. At this point this whole series has totally lost its sanctity for me and my response is "gently caress it, why not?" Since we're not going to get an original story, interesting thematics, or allegorical politics, at least I can see Stranger Things Luke Skywalker pilot T-16s with his knucklehead friends.

whoa no no no I can already tell where they're making the wrong move here

it should be baby Luke

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

MonsieurChoc posted:

I still like my idea of a Mad Max-style warlord kidnapping a bunch of children (including Luke) as hostages and Obi-Wan and Lars teaming up to free them.

I like this. I still think it was a missed opportunity in the PT to not give Owen and Beru significant roles in those movies. I had an idea that Owen and Beru were like "Bonnie and Clyde" type smugglers and eventually had to lay low on Tatooine after they picked up too much heat. The Owen/Beru dynamic is another thing I'm hoping the show explores.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

MonsieurChoc posted:

Lol, I can just imagine D+ making a show about surviving on Tatooine similar to the Alaskan wilderness shows. It uses Jawa caravans as a mechanism to cut between the human colonists using droids and machines to survive in the desert, and the native Sand People using the flora and fauna to flourish.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Make a show in the vein of a 10 part documentary series about the fall of the Jedi and Imperial takeover.

Like Ken Burns, but not painfully boring.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Bogus Adventure posted:

Lol, I can just imagine D+ making a show about surviving on Tatooine similar to the Alaskan wilderness shows. It uses Jawa caravans as a mechanism to cut between the human colonists using droids and machines to survive in the desert, and the native Sand People using the flora and fauna to flourish.

Alsakan*

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Alaskan*

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

teagone posted:

I like this. I still think it was a missed opportunity in the PT to not give Owen and Beru significant roles in those movies. I had an idea that Owen and Beru were like "Bonnie and Clyde" type smugglers and eventually had to lay low on Tatooine after they picked up too much heat. The Owen/Beru dynamic is another thing I'm hoping the show explores.

God no, that'd be terrible. Owen being the simple son of a moisture farmer on a backwater planet is a perfect thing, and since it's reflective of George's inherent rebellion against becoming his father (a hardware store owner), turning Owen and Beru into some secret badasses who had adventures unbeknownst to all instead of being two common folk who inherit the future savior of the galaxy betrays one of the things at the very core of Star Wars's appeal.

Even Kathleen Kennedy figured this out, I want to say Blank Check went into her and George having a conversation when he was asking her to assume control of the company and she told him she didn't want to make a Star Wars until she knew what it was about, George repeatedly told her "it's about storytelling, really" until she asked him why he got into movies and he explained that his dad expected him to inherit the hardware store he owned, and George turned to films and filmmaking as an escape chute out of his suburban California present and dismally boring future. Kennedy went "that's it, that's what it's about" and honestly, she's right. It's all right there. A kid with a boring life, boring parents, yearns for adventure and is given it - but has to lose just about everything along the way to assume this new life.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The Cameo posted:

God no, that'd be terrible. Owen being the simple son of a moisture farmer on a backwater planet is a perfect thing, and since it's reflective of George's inherent rebellion against becoming his father (a hardware store owner), turning Owen and Beru into some secret badasses who had adventures unbeknownst to all instead of being two common folk who inherit the future savior of the galaxy betrays one of the things at the very core of Star Wars's appeal.

Also, does everyone in Star Wars need to secretly be badasses?

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Davros1 posted:

Also, does everyone in Star Wars need to secretly be badasses?

the alternative is developing new characters and we don't wanna do that, it's scary

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him round the Moons of Nibia, and round the Antares Maelstrom, and round Perdition's flames before I give him up!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The Cameo posted:

On the other hand, I like stories of redemption and feeling empathy for folks who lived a life of treachery/immorality coming back to fully accept responsibility for the things they've done, and do their to best to become better people. I enjoy it more so if it ends in tragedy because I live for that kind of drama in storytelling. It's something that resonates with me, personally. I didn't realize the parallels between George's own life. That's cool. But that doesn't deter me from feeling Owen should've had a larger part in the PT as someone who might've been more than just a moisture farmer.

[edit] And I don't think Bonnie and Clyde are "badasses" — I was more so referring to the idea of romanticizing their criminal history.

teagone fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 30, 2019

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Timeless Appeal posted:

So I watched the RLM review of RoS... and I find it really weird this notion of (paraphrasing0 "The Last Jedi painted you in a corner where either you brought back Palpatine or just made a new evil lord figure.

I'm not even arguing about the quality of TLJ... but the film ends with Adam Driver--one of the best actors currently working--as tyrannical space dictator. Like... you can't figure out a way to make the work?

If you take it as a given that Ben was always meant to be redeemed then you can't really make him the big bad guy of the last movie.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Pollyanna posted:

You are taking this far more seriously than I am. You’re the one that needs to step back.

"Maybe it is YOU who is the one who is mad"

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Lunatic Sledge posted:

the alternative is developing new characters and we don't wanna do that, it's scary

Maz Kanata sure is great.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Neo Rasa posted:

I mean he's some combination of huge dumbass or just legit did not give a gently caress about this movie on any level, but either way it sure as hell shows in the finished product.

He's not dumb. I'm pretty convinced that part of his agreement to direct this movie was setting his son up with the most coveted job at Marvel. He probably just honestly does not give a poo poo. The paycheck still cashes either way.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

teagone posted:

Maz Kanata sure is great.

I appreciated how completely without purpose all of her lines were. "To go there, we have to know where it is" and whatever type stuff. What an absolute waste of a great cast.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I hate the movie, but the glimmer of enjoyability in it is that its sloppiness lets you often read it against its intent. Palpatine wins star wars once again, punting rey's soul into the void and stealing not only her body but the skywalker name itself in a quintessential palpatine esque maneuver. Leia proves yet again her essential hillary-dom by committing suicide to try to murder her son- and failing. Maz kanata, unable to conceal her basic union busting essence, can't resist stealing from a corpse. The examples are endless, and hey it's not nothing

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Neo Rasa posted:

I appreciated how completely without purpose all of her lines were. "To go there, we have to know where it is" and whatever type stuff. What an absolute waste of a great cast.

Lmao, yeah. I'm super annoyed at the goon who suggested Maz's character should've just been Ahsoka the White instead. Lot more you can do there. That not being a thing makes me angry, more so because we could've had Lupita Nyong'o play a live-action Ahsoka.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Timeless Appeal posted:

So I watched the RLM

I have identified the problem

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

I hate the movie, but the glimmer of enjoyability in it is that its sloppiness lets you often read it against its intent. Palpatine wins star wars once again, punting rey's soul into the void and stealing not only her body but the skywalker name itself in a quintessential palpatine esque maneuver.

Was it this thread or the other one where someone said it should end with Rey turning around with sith eyes and then it's a freeze frame with Palpatine laughing as it fades to black? Because that would be kinda amazing.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Was it this thread or the other one where someone said it should end with Rey turning around with sith eyes and then it's a freeze frame with Palpatine laughing as it fades to black? Because that would be kinda amazing.

"I am all the Jedi... AND all the Sith!"

[laughs sheevilly]

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

I like to think of Maz Kanada and Yoda coming from the same planet, Lemonlime.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

The Little Death posted:

I like to think of Maz Kanada and Yoda coming from the same planet, Lemonlime.

I thought it was Spriteooine

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Bogus Adventure posted:

I thought it was Spriteooine

Or the same planet going by its alternate name, Pepsiku

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The only good joke RLM had of the Disney ST movies was when they called Maz "Butthole Eyes"