Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

StarMinstrel posted:

I feel it’s not competition if the games are exclusive. True competition would be having the choice between which platform to buy a specific game. Otherwise you just go on the platform your game is, which is not competition, just annoyance at having to find what is being sold where.

Like, I don’t think anyone considers uPlay and Origin to be competitor with steam, unlike the humble store and gog

Half the stuff on the Humble Store is steam keys, so I don't see even that as really competing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Duck and Cover posted:

I get it though, free stuff, games you want to play. It's not like you the individual is going to make a difference when the majority of people who play games hate to make anything close to a short term sacrifice for long term gains. Of course that can be applied to other things as well, but I think gamers are super duper bad about it.

lol indeed in the gaming platform holy wars its important to be loyal to the holy Steam Platform amen

Do not let your faith be swayed by the temptation of free games!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
"Competition" starts to become an abstract concept when you're talking about a product that is 100% digital, and when the seller and the creator are completely separate entities.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Half the stuff on the Humble Store is steam keys, so I don't see even that as really competing.

Point. GoG is the true competitor with superior old games product. If it weren’t for them, I’m not sure we would have ever seen decades old games pop up on steam.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

StarMinstrel posted:

Point. GoG is the true competitor with superior old games product. If it weren’t for them, I’m not sure we would have ever seen decades old games pop up on steam.

Their new launcher is fantastic, too.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

lol indeed in the gaming platform holy wars its important to be loyal to the holy Steam Platform amen

Do not let your faith be swayed by the temptation of free games!

So yeah I wasn't judging people for taking a bribe but then I get judged by assholes for having a differing opinion? gently caress that.

Also what the gently caress? I'm not loyal to Steam out of anything but being lazy and not liking to change. Steam is a glorified web browser.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

making your stupid position clear does not make it not stupid

lol nice edit

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

food court bailiff posted:

making your stupid position clear does not make it not stupid

I'm sorry you can't admit to yourself you're willing to take a bribe. You seem to think that's a failing and so you're lashing out, it's pretty pathetic.

edit: yeah I edit all the time, if you wanted to be clear who/what you were responding to you should have quoted me. People have a tendancy to believe I'm more emotionally invested than I am in reality so I try to avoid elaborating.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 30, 2019

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Lazyhound posted:

Their new launcher is fantastic, too.

I heard they have a decent launcher but IMO the entire reason GOG kicks rear end is having DRM-free, downloadable install .exes that I can easily archive.

The downside is that makes piracy basically the easiest thing ever.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Duck and Cover posted:

I'm sorry you can't admit to yourself you're willing to take a bribe. You seem to think that's a failing and so you're lashing out, it's pretty pathetic.

edit: yeah I edit all the time, if you wanted to be clear who/what you were responding to you should have quoted me.

i'm not lashing out, i'm pointing out that the reason people are calling you out for your opinion is not because it is different, but because it is stupid

and yes i am very willing to download a free app for a bunch of free games, what the gently caress are you even talking about bribes for lmao, you think there's some kind of Game Store Congress that i'm violating the ethics board of or some poo poo? taking free stuff is not bribes outside of a certain context, words have meaning, hth

i don't even have the epic store installed on anything lol

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I heard they have a decent launcher but IMO the entire reason GOG kicks rear end is having DRM-free, downloadable install .exes that I can easily archive.

I'm not sure piracy of older games isn't already easy and it's nice to have those old games available.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

duck and cover, crossing his arms at the breakfast table with an upturned nose like "HUMPH i would have enjoyed these cheerios PLENTY without the decoder ring, THANK YOU"

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Duck and Cover posted:

edit: yeah I edit all the time, if you wanted to be clear who/what you were responding to you should have quoted me. People have a tendancy to believe I'm more emotionally invested then I am in reality so I try to avoid elaborating.

TBQH I really just think you are stretching the definition of "bribe" quite a bit

Duck and Cover posted:

I'm not sure piracy of older games isn't already easy and it's nice to have those old games available.

I wasn't referring to old games specifically; the last 3 games I bought off GOG were Disco Elysium, Battletech and Hollow Knight.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

duck and cover, crossing his arms at the breakfast table with an upturned nose like "HUMPH i would have enjoyed these cheerios PLENTY without the decoder ring, THANK YOU"

I wouldn't eat Cheerios. Well maybe the apple cinnamon ones.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

TBQH I really just think you are stretching the definition of "bribe" quite a bit

I wasn't referring to old games specifically; the last 3 games I bought off GOG were Disco Elysium, Battletech and Hollow Knight.

I think fighting piracy is more about being more convenient than it is about security. Kind of like how streaming use to be more convenient than torrents/usenet but now a days isn't really.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 30, 2019

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Duck and Cover posted:

edit: yeah I edit all the time, if you wanted to be clear who/what you were responding to you should have quoted me. People have a tendancy to believe I'm more emotionally invested than I am in reality so I try to avoid elaborating.

people would think you were less emotionally invested if you didn't call them loving assholes and then stealth edit it out lmao

want any more free advice today?

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Giving out freebies to entice people to try a different product isn't anything new and it's definitely not 'taking a bribe' to accept those freebies. Also we're all loving assholes here, no need to point it out.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

people would think you were less emotionally invested if you didn't call them loving assholes and then stealth edit it out lmao

want any more free advice today?

When someone is an rear end in a top hat to me I feel like I should tell them to not be an rear end in a top hat to me.

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Giving out freebies to entice people to try a different product isn't anything new and it's definitely not 'taking a bribe' to accept those freebies. Also we're all loving assholes here, no need to point it out.

quote:

persuade (someone) to act in one's favor, typically illegally or dishonestly, by a gift of money or other inducement.
Fine whatever, I mean I'd say by that definition I'm right but it's not like it really matters.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 30, 2019

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I'm not sure DRM would have prevented much piracy on those, anyway- poo poo gets cracked so fast these days a lot of games may as well be DRM free. I've read that modern digital distribution has made a pretty big difference in piracy rates, and I'm curious to see what all the gamepass type services end up doing to it as well.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Imagine being mad that you have a second storefront to choose from and arguing about it for literally years.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

appropriatemetaphor posted:

lol if you ever read instructions for anything. gently caress it up don't do that

Lol if you didn't read the sim-ant textbook

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Duck and Cover posted:

Fine whatever, I mean I'd say by that definition I'm right but it's not like it really matters.

"Sign up for our distribution platform and get some free games" isn't illegal or dishonest though.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

It just wouldn't be the Something Awful Unpopular Videogame Opinions thread if people weren't weirdly hostile over poo poo that didn't matter.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

Imagine being mad that you have a second storefront to choose from and arguing about it for literally years.
I truly wonder how many of the people getting butthurt identify as Libertarians and are :qq: because "they're not doing it right!"

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

screaming bribe at the lady in the food court giving out bourbon chicken on a toothpick

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Snow Cone Capone posted:

this is the reason that GoG is the superior platform. i'm not buying a digital game that some company can decide to deactivate whenever its no longer profitable to honor my licenses.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

big nipples big life posted:

screaming bribe at the lady in the food court giving out bourbon chicken on a toothpick

Well poo poo, now I know what I'm doing this weekend.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

"Sign up for our distribution platform and get some free games" isn't illegal or dishonest though.

Doesn't have to be to apply to that definition due to the word "typically". Yeah language sucks because we're both kind of right.

big nipples big life posted:

I think my dislike for it in a food court is based on how aggressive they are. Doesn't bug me in Costco but certainly did in the mall. Besides the Greek place that didn't do that was the way to go anyway.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 30, 2019

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The good and valid reason the be pro-steam Monopoly is that lol we all bought a bunch of non transferrable game licenses that will die with steam if anyone ever puts them out of business. Gaben is not a hero for creating this situation.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

poverty goat posted:

The good and valid reason the be pro-steam Monopoly is that lol we all bought a bunch of non transferrable game licenses that will die with steam if anyone ever puts them out of business. Gaben is not a hero for creating this situation.

Yep it all sucks. I like the idea of owning the things I buy. It's okay though you might be able to buy access to another copy if that happens!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

People always make fun of physical media but that is why it rules and I still buy discs. I own it, I can lend it out, I can give it away, I can sell it, I save myself from having to download enormous files when I reinstall stuff.I can also buy used stuff for cheap. Blu Ray ftw. Literally the only downside of physical is having to swap out discs which sucks but whatever.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Until it's time to move and you have to fill up several boxes of movies and games you haven't touched in years

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Duck and Cover posted:

I think fighting piracy is more about being more convenient then it is about security. Kind of like how streaming use to be more convenient then torrents/usenet but now a days isn't really.

Cool, not sure how this relates to what we were talking about but sure

I'm not sure DRM would have prevented much piracy on those, anyway- poo poo gets cracked so fast these days a lot of games may as well be DRM free. I've read that modern digital distribution has made a pretty big difference in piracy rates, and I'm curious to see what all the gamepass type services end up doing to it as well.

To a certain extent, true. I don't really think GOG has significantly contributed to an increase in piracy but it is noticeable that DRM-cracked torrents usually have cracks in them, whereas GOG game torrents are always just the untouched .exe

Exceptions exist, of course - some of the Denuvo-protected games have taken weeks-to-months to crack.

It's definitely much nicer and given the choice I go GOG over Steam/others anytime.

poverty goat posted:

Lol if you didn't read the sim-ant textbook

I was gonna say "this is my holy grail from childhood and I wish it was easier to find" but welp

So thanks for reminding me I guess :tipshat:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Or you could be like me back in the early 2000's when I pirated and burned everything. I later checked them to find out that burnable disks have a shelf life, and I was the proud owner of ~400 shiny paperweights.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

People always make fun of physical media but that is why it rules and I still buy discs. I own it, I can lend it out, I can give it away, I can sell it, I save myself from having to download enormous files when I reinstall stuff.I can also buy used stuff for cheap. Blu Ray ftw. Literally the only downside of physical is having to swap out discs which sucks but whatever.

I invested in a nas so I could just hoard all my movies/tv/anime data. It's great. There's also dvd/blu-ray menus which vary from kind of not really inconvenient to what the gently caress I can't read this and it's nice to just select a movie and have it play.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Cool, not sure how this relates to what we were talking about but sure

To a certain extent, true. I don't really think GOG has significantly contributed to an increase in piracy but it is noticeable that DRM-cracked torrents usually have cracks in them, whereas GOG game torrents are always just the untouched .exe

Exceptions exist, of course - some of the Denuvo-protected games have taken weeks-to-months to crack.

It's definitely much nicer and given the choice I go GOG over Steam/others anytime.

I was gonna say "this is my holy grail from childhood and I wish it was easier to find" but welp

So thanks for reminding me I guess :tipshat:

It relates in that I don't think gog having drm free files really makes a difference in terms of pirating that's all. I should probably buy more GOG games I just already have too many games I don't play.

Oh yeah and Sim Ant the key was to rush the red ants before they could even spread to more tiles. Well as far as beating the game quickly.

Edit: Was curious if I was remembering correctly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1B24Vvik2I
Sheesh.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 30, 2019

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Snow Cone Capone posted:

It looks like even Denuvo is getting cracked pretty quickly these days, which isn't helped by some games having a Denuvo protected and non-Denuvo protected version, but still. I will say that copy protection has come a long way in not making legally purchased games unplayable- I had a bunch of games on disc in the 2000's where I had to download No-CD cracks since the copy protection wouldn't cooperate with my computer hardware. Safedisc was really bad about that, and SecuROM was a close second. Not to mention Starforce's software issues. Even with that, I like DRM free so you don't run into problems like Safedisc/SecuROM not working with current windows versions. No DRM means not worrying your games won't arbitrarily not work in the future.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

It looks like even Denuvo is getting cracked pretty quickly these days, which isn't helped by some games having a Denuvo protected and non-Denuvo protected version, but still. I will say that copy protection has come a long way in not making legally purchased games unplayable- I had a bunch of games on disc in the 2000's where I had to download No-CD cracks since the copy protection wouldn't cooperate with my computer hardware. Safedisc was really bad about that, and SecuROM was a close second. Not to mention Starforce's software issues. Even with that, I like DRM free so you don't run into problems like Safedisc/SecuROM not working with current windows versions. No DRM means not worrying your games won't arbitrarily not work in the future.

Crackwatch.com is a cool site to track this sort of thing

fake edit: drat, Just Cause 3 took 250 days to crack!

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Rutibex posted:

this is the reason that GoG is the superior platform. i'm not buying a digital game that some company can decide to deactivate whenever its no longer profitable to honor my licenses.

but then you're supporting bigots :sigh:

i mean you're probably supporting bigots buying from any other service too, but none as visibly bigoted as CD Projekt Red

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

razorrozar posted:

i mean you're probably supporting bigots buying from any other service too, but none as visibly bigoted as CD Projekt Red

I know Cyberpunk has had its massive facepalm moments, but IIRC the GOG tweets were 1 guy who was immediately fired?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

razorrozar posted:

It'd be nice if there weren't so many examples of this kind of thing to keep track of. Not only does it happen, I feel obligated to see what exactly happened and then weigh how lovely it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
if steam and all my games suddenly disappears im gonna guess theres gonna be larger problems irl than not accessing my games