Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

CJacobs posted:

YOU CAN SLIDE DOWN LADDERS BY HOLDING SQUARE

gently caress

But that doesn't work for going down climbing anchors. (Learned that the hard way)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

But that doesn't work for going down climbing anchors. (Learned that the hard way)

Same here. :saddowns: :respek: :saddowns:

While we're sharing unconventional ways to do things, I found out that there are actually TWO ways to cross the tar belt (chapter 8+ spoilers):

What most players probably do and what Die Hardman eventually recommends you do is get yoinked onto the tar by the BTs and run across the buildings dodging whales.

...but what the game doesn't tell you is that Sam won't sink in the tar if you pepper it with hematic weaponry. So if you throw a blood grenade at the tar, you can walk on it wherever the blood cloud lands. You can make it all the way to Amelie and the cutscene that takes you to edge knot without ever triggering the whales by hucking blood grenades in front of you and walking on top of the tar! Video games!

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

CJacobs posted:

While we're sharing unconventional ways to do things, I found out that there are actually TWO ways to cross the tar belt (chapter 8+ spoilers):

What most players probably do and what Die Hardman eventually recommends you do is get yoinked onto the tar by the BTs and run across the buildings dodging whales.

...but what the game doesn't tell you is that Sam won't sink in the tar if you pepper it with hematic weaponry. So if you throw a blood grenade at the tar, you can walk on it wherever the blood cloud lands. You can make it all the way to Amelie and the cutscene that takes you to edge knot without ever triggering the whales by hucking blood grenades in front of you and walking on top of the tar! Video games!

What the gently caress

Does it work universally on all tar? Like the tar ring near one of the craters and tar lake in South knot?

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao

CJacobs posted:

So if you throw a blood grenade at the tar

This is how I handled regular tar grabber BTs most of the game, actually! The second a BT would grab me, if I didn’t wanna fight the boss guy, as soon as the tar circle forms around you just huck a blood grenade right at your feet and you can mostly just hop on outta there.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

WaltherFeng posted:

What the gently caress

Does it work universally on all tar? Like the tar ring near one of the craters and tar lake in South knot?

Yup, it works on everything that slows Sam down, including the tar pool that forms during boss fights (edit: the thicker black tar, not the goopy flowing stuff). Regarding the craters you do eventually come to an invisible wall though, if you can even find a way to them.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Dec 30, 2019

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
BTs really do become kind of trivial once you catch on to how they work.

I took on one of the bigger ones with like zero prep or gear just from asking for more poo poo. Many crystals were had that day

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Another fun tip (ch 5 spoiler): You can cut multiple umbilical cords at once with the bola gun's help. Bola two or three BTs, stand in the middle of the group and hold square to do a Metal Gear Rising style chain cut animation.

Imo they give you hematic grenades wayyy too early. I would've really enjoyed being forced to do things the Sam Fisher way for longer before getting the ultimate BT slaying tools and forever doing it the Serious Sam way.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Dec 30, 2019

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

CJacobs posted:

Imo they give you hematic grenades wayyy too early. I would've really enjoyed being forced to do things the Sam Fisher way for longer before getting the ultimate BT slaying tools and forever doing it the Serious Sam way.

This is one of my major criticisms of the gameplay progression, which is otherwise done very well. I'm not sure what the trigger is with the other grenades, but I didn't see my first poop grenade until I'd had the blood grenades for 10+ hours, and I only got the shower grenades and piss grenades shortly before they gave me the hematic ones, so I literally never had any reason to use them. From a story perspective, they're just figuring out that Sam's bodily fluids are useful, and the EX grenades don't even tell you what they do, they just say something about testing the effects on BTs. And then twenty minutes later they give you a blood grenade and tell you it kills BTs? It feels like there should have been a much longer stretch where you're forced to go through a couple BT areas with nothing but the EX grenades, so then there's some relief when they finally figure out the blood grenades and you're actually able to kill the BTs.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Kojima's love of poo poo like this is why I was confident the game would at least be good. It still blew past my expectations though.

Dude is the best at sheer joyful "Video games!" moments.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Phenotype posted:

This is one of my major criticisms of the gameplay progression, which is otherwise done very well. I'm not sure what the trigger is with the other grenades, but I didn't see my first poop grenade until I'd had the blood grenades for 10+ hours, and I only got the shower grenades and piss grenades shortly before they gave me the hematic ones, so I literally never had any reason to use them. From a story perspective, they're just figuring out that Sam's bodily fluids are useful, and the EX grenades don't even tell you what they do, they just say something about testing the effects on BTs. And then twenty minutes later they give you a blood grenade and tell you it kills BTs? It feels like there should have been a much longer stretch where you're forced to go through a couple BT areas with nothing but the EX grenades, so then there's some relief when they finally figure out the blood grenades and you're actually able to kill the BTs.

Same thing with the Bolo gun TBH. It's pretty much the best anti mule weapon there is.

I ignored the grenade launcher for the longest time, until I realised it did multiple ammo types. No need to carry separate weapons for mules and for BTs.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Phenotype posted:

You only produce poop grenades if you’ve eaten cryptobyotes, which doesn’t happen that often.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Poop nades lure BTs so you can use them with hematic grenades for greater effect

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

DalaranJ posted:

You only produce poop grenades if you’ve eaten cryptobyotes, which doesn’t happen that often.

By default no, but given the slightly-hidden mechanic of you can collect and store cryptobiotes if you’re already at full health for a faster heal instead of waiting for a blood pack to kick in or if you’re out of/want to save blood packs it can be worthwhile

I agree with the general sentiment of there being a lot of introduced “implied difficult” mechanics that end up not actually mattering if you spend literally any time preparing for your trips. Sandalweed is easily the most aggressively useless one, but EX grenades are a close second. I guess if you basically do a “nuzlocke” run where you don’t allow yourself to fabricate items period, only pick up lost cargo and use items the plot hands to you or something...

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

According to the item description, sandalweed muffles your footsteps so theres that. I use them inside mule camps just in case.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

if you want to get some poop grenades you need to relax in the poop hot springs. after going into that i got ten poop grenades on my next poop. poop.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Got this for xmas, enjoying the mailman simulator part, not a big fan of the BTs that have shown up so far, kind of dreading the idea of boss fights spoiling my enjoyment of things, but I'm still early on.

Currently, my next major story mission is to go hook up Port Knot City and give them some kind of anti-BT stuff that I suspect is just Sam's poo and pee mixed, but whatever. I've been avoiding spoilers, but I've caught a few mentions of there being some kind of scripted BT fight thing in this mission. Am I correct in thinking that? And if so, how hard is it and can I skip it in some way? I've never used any of the pee, poo, or bathwater grenades because I've only ever ran into a BT the first time you meet them, and then I just shoved the goo bodies off and booked it. Basically I'm worried about being poo poo at the fighting because I don't want anything to do with it, failing a lot on this mission and hating the game because of it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The fight is after the mission, but starting the mission itself unlocks tools to rid yourself of BTs for good.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Raxivace posted:

As much as I enjoyed this game though, I have to say I find it a little troubling politically. ENDING SPOILERS: Like this is all a giant anti-abortion statement, isn't it? Like it seems hard to read the ending scene with Sam and Lou at the incinerator in any other way, where Sam saves her from getting incinerated/terminated. Hell the entire idea of the BB's kind of feels like that.

If you want a political message out of this game ponder the fact that Kojima said this game is about Trump and your first mission is to throw the US President into an incinerator.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

If you want a political message out of this game ponder the fact that Kojima said this game is about Trump and your first mission is to throw the US President into an incinerator.

:thunk:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
:trumppop:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

President Cancer Lady can also be a Laura Roslin reference.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
(collectible spoilers) There are people still alive in the game who remember what the world was like before the Death Stranding (and they're not even that old), and they mention World War 1 being over a hundred years ago, which would set the game around 2025 or so. Basically anyone Sam's age or a little older is old enough to be able to recall it. The game does directly mention Trump in basically everything but name via some of the Interview logs. He was the president caught in the voidout in Manhattan, Bridget Strand was his vice president. They don't say it's him, but it's him.

Either way Kojima didn't really say it's 'about Trump', he said it's inspired by the separatist/individualist actions of himself and people like him. Building walls instead of making connections etc.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Dec 31, 2019

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

CJacobs posted:

(collectible spoilers) There are people still alive in the game who remember what the world was like before the Death Stranding (and they're not even that old), and they mention World War 1 being over a hundred years ago, which would set the game around 2025 or so. The game does directly mention Trump in basically everything but name via some of the Interview logs. He was the president caught in the voidout in Manhattan, Bridget Strand was his vice president. They don't say it's him, but it's him.

Either way Kojima didn't really say it's 'about Trump', he said it's inspired by the separatist/individualist actions of himself and people like him. Building walls instead of making connections etc.

To be fair, especially recently, there have been a LOT of real-world examples of this trend, so I'm pretty sure it's not a direct dig so much as keeping with the games themes as you pointed out.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm just surprised Trump hired a woman to be his vice president in the Death Stranding world. That's probably the biggest stretch in the whole game!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

CJacobs posted:

I'm just surprised Trump hired a woman to be his vice president in the Death Stranding world. That's probably the biggest stretch in the whole game!

It was probably Ivanka.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CJacobs posted:

(collectible spoilers) There are people still alive in the game who remember what the world was like before the Death Stranding (and they're not even that old), and they mention World War 1 being over a hundred years ago, which would set the game around 2025 or so. Basically anyone Sam's age or a little older is old enough to be able to recall it. The game does directly mention Trump in basically everything but name via some of the Interview logs. He was the president caught in the voidout in Manhattan, Bridget Strand was his vice president. They don't say it's him, but it's him.

Wait what? I never got the impression the President was Trump (void out one). Although I guess I’m fairness when this game started being made Trump was still in his only hanging out in New York phase. The whole timeline of the game is really really weird and I’d love to see a timeline at some point.

Also going back to the whole abortion discussion. My understanding was that the BBs are created using the still mothers. My thought was they just keep impregnating them when a unit is retired. I never got the impression they needed to be removed at 28 weeks, that was just part of Bridgets stuff. Heck I feel like they didn’t need to remove Sam and that his mom could have carried him to term, but Cliff was lied to, saying they had to do this, when they never needed too. Then again I don’t know anything about brain dead or comatose people giving birth...but I feel like I’ve read about it happening. Well that horrible care facility case this year or last year at least.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Personally, when a guy name checks Trump while talking about what his game is about, and then references him and things he says and does at multiple points in the game, I'm inclined to believe it's partly about Trump.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Wait what? I never got the impression the President was Trump (void out one). Although I guess I’m fairness when this game started being made Trump was still in his only hanging out in New York phase. The whole timeline of the game is really really weird and I’d love to see a timeline at some point.

There's really nobody else it could be. With the way the timeline of events is, either president #46 was Trump's second term OR someone new that goes unmentioned in the story with Bridget as vice president, but I doubt they'd introduce a new president and then just never mention anything about them.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 31, 2019

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i probably could have placed my zip line to the timefall farm better but why are all those assholes trying to shoot me to death now

it makes zipping directly through the middle of a mule camp more exciting.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Intel&Sebastian posted:

In my defense, a man in a skull mask told me to do it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

In my defense, a man in a skull mask told me to do it.

Taking orders from a skull faced man, huh. Didn't know Sam worked for XOF in his spare time!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

CJacobs posted:

The one I never found any use for was the oxygen mask, outside of the quest that introduces it I don't think I have seen another vog cloud anywhere in the entire game.

The straight line between the Film Director and Lake Knot City has at least one canyon with vog clouds in it. Which you can fall down into and die and get a game over screen.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CJacobs posted:

There's really nobody else it could be. With the way the timeline of events is, either president #46 was Trump's second term OR someone new that goes unmentioned in the story with Bridget as vice president, but I doubt they'd introduce a new president and then just never mention anything about them.

Oh yeah I know that reference, I just viewed it as the Manhattan voidout President was a later one vs Trump. Kind of like there is Trump and then a future President. Sort of like hey LBJ is in MGS, but then you get fictional ones.

That said can anyone provide an answer on the second part of my question? It’s really been kind of bugging me.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Oh yeah I know that reference, I just viewed it as the Manhattan voidout President was a later one vs Trump. Kind of like there is Trump and then a future President. Sort of like hey LBJ is in MGS, but then you get fictional ones.

That said can anyone provide an answer on the second part of my question? It’s really been kind of bugging me.

Well, we know that the stillmother has to be alive and the BB has to be occasionally connected to her to maintain its beach-connecting ability, otherwise it starts to grow up like a normal premature baby would as Lou starts to do. Also it kinda makes sense that the BB needs to be a preemie because it wouldn't fit in the pod if it was normal baby-sized. That's presumably why Deadman urged Sam to reset Lou, not just because of its BT detecting ability but because taking it out of the pod means a likely death and it can't stay in there if it grows too much.

I'd like to think that they don't force pregnant mothers to enter chemically induced comas to produce more BBs, at least not anymore, but I don't think the game clarifies one way or the other. My theory is that BBs have to be born out of some kind of jeopardy to be connected to the beach in the first place a la Mama's child. If Mama's child had been removed from her before it died, it would've been a BB candidate. They don't say what brought Cliff and Lisa to BRIDGES afaik but whatever happened left her brain dead, so Sam would have died if they hadn't removed him.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Dec 31, 2019

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Has anyone done a second run of the game yet? What's it like?

I just got 'best beloved' and I'm wondering if I should stick around to do anything else.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

DalaranJ posted:

Has anyone done a second run of the game yet? What's it like?

I just got 'best beloved' and I'm wondering if I should stick around to do anything else.

Still in progress.

For some reason the game doesnt delete your progress server side from the previous run so you keep getting likes from structures on your previous run. I'm not entirely sure if the game counts those tho.

There are lots of details and even completely missable easter eggs that I never saw on 1st run.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

CJacobs posted:

Well, we know that the stillmother has to be alive and the BB has to be occasionally connected to her to maintain its beach-connecting ability, otherwise it starts to grow up like a normal premature baby would as Lou starts to do. Also it kinda makes sense that the BB needs to be a preemie because it wouldn't fit in the pod if it was normal baby-sized. That's presumably why Deadman urged Sam to reset Lou, not just because of its BT detecting ability but because taking it out of the pod means a likely death and it can't stay in there if it grows too much.

I'd like to think that they don't force pregnant mothers to enter chemically induced comas to produce more BBs, at least not anymore, but I don't think the game clarifies one way or the other. My theory is that BBs have to be born out of some kind of jeopardy to be connected to the beach in the first place a la Mama's child. If Mama's child had been removed from her before it died, it would've been a BB candidate. They don't say what brought Cliff and Lisa to BRIDGES afaik but whatever happened left her brain dead, so Sam would have died if they hadn't removed him.

Was anyone else really nervous doing the "deliver medicine to the mountaineer" mission? When they said that the mother's illness could cause her to be braindead I thought "poo poo, that's how they make BBs" And I thought about how badly Bridges needs more BBs and so I started getting suspicious of Bridges' motivations. (I had been for a while, Kojima made Bridges one of the good guys, but it wouldn't be too hard to make them the villains)

I was doing the delivery and remembered that the game would sometimes throw a boss fight at you on story missions so I was starting to get nervous when I got there. The mountaineer placed a arrow sign or something and had a hologram of himself next to it waving- it startled me I almost pulled my gun out.

I was glad to be wrong.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Bridges is kinda shady though since they all followed Bridget's orders to the letter without ever questioning her. What they did to Cliff was pretty hosed up.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Was anyone else really nervous doing the "deliver medicine to the mountaineer" mission? When they said that the mother's illness could cause her to be braindead I thought "poo poo, that's how they make BBs" And I thought about how badly Bridges needs more BBs and so I started getting suspicious of Bridges' motivations. (I had been for a while, Kojima made Bridges one of the good guys, but it wouldn't be too hard to make them the villains)

I was doing the delivery and remembered that the game would sometimes throw a boss fight at you on story missions so I was starting to get nervous when I got there. The mountaineer placed a arrow sign or something and had a hologram of himself next to it waving- it startled me I almost pulled my gun out.

I was glad to be wrong.

I absolutely thought it was going somewhere in that general direction, yes, and was pleasantly surprised to be wrong-- it's impressive how frequently the game hits those "You've played an RPG before, you know exactly where this questgiver is going! Haha no you don't we're playing it straight and they're actually fine" points, it's like a reverse Yoko Taro game

WaltherFeng posted:

Bridges is kinda shady though since they all followed Bridget's orders to the letter without ever questioning her. What they did to Cliff was pretty hosed up.

The recurring thing always seems to be we did the lovely thing for either noble reasons, or what we thought were noble reasons at the time-- both in terms of Bridges 1 and everything around it, and later on when Amelie does a secret heel-turn and Bridges still thinks she's on the up-and-up-- and even then she's got the flawed-but-valid-to-her "spare everyone suffering and get it over with" rationale going on. The fact that there only seems to be one Cliff does beg the question of if the other BBs were "more ethically sourced", though-- assuming that every one of the seemingly-many BBs, both the ones in BT-detection use by porters and the ones stuck being a Knot node, came from "we're stealing your kid and killing you if you complain" kinds of situations, you'd think there'd be more vengeful parent chiral supercells floating around.

There's a lot of really bad places you can go with it but since the implication in-game is there's more than one stillmother and they're effectively interchangable when it comes to "syncing up" whatever BBs with in-womb conditions, I'm going to just pretend they're growing BBs in vats and using people who happen to be brain dead as pseudo-VR goggles for BBs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

What's the threshold for getting your stuff into other people's games and vice versa?

I knocked over a MULE camp and took a ton of Alloys and I was just puttering in my truck full of loot sprinkling it on every zipline I came across. I'm starting to get a nice network going, but I could always use more links in the chain that aren't using bandwidth and more likes.

It seems nobody really uses my stuff that much and zipline spawns are nice but a little spare. Is there anyway to increase the spawn rate in my game or others or is it just random? My bridge link level is 72.