Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

You know that "King Arthur fucks his sister, who gives birth to Mordred" is literally a hundreds of years old part of the Arthurian cycle, right, trying to blame fate for that one is peak dipshit

I don't know how you expect me to care about this "King Arthur" fucker if he can't be assed to put out a 3 hour video on his mixed feelings regarding Rise of Skywalker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

I have no idea what any of you are talking about. Anyway, my last video of the year/decade goes back to Hocus Focus, a lost show from Nickelodeon's first year in 1979. An episode was recently unearthed, so now we have some idea of what this program was actually about.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Also regarding that understanding fate vid, please don't link to the homophobic grifter who tries to mine and sell personal information of underage and disabled people tia.

C-come again? :stare:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

You know that "King Arthur fucks his sister, who gives birth to Mordred" is literally a hundreds of years old part of the Arthurian cycle, right, trying to blame fate for that one is peak dipshit

They aren't usually portrayed as hot anime triplets though. From what I've seen of fate, like half the characters are the exact same lady in different colors, occasionally with a hair style change.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Except that's kinda the problem. Fate decides having gay incest babies is a bridge too far and cowardly decides Mordred is really like a clone or something. Similarly most of the gay male dudes are either made straight or turned into women.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

are you suggesting that goons are 20 years behind the times when it comes to anime stereotypes???

Yeah the really defensive reaction here from people assuring themselves that girls (almost 33%!) like the same creepy thing as them doesn’t really assure me

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Yeah Takeuchi made it a thing that Diarmuid/Cu since they're both Irish/Celtic have similar armor to reference celtic warpaint and to give all celtic/irish/scottish (Scathach?) characters a theme to their costume designs. But yes they're very different and have very different legends.

Cu Cullain is the Hound of Cullain and has beast like agility and wields perhaps the second most famous spear in mythology. So he has the single red spear that never misses; while Diarmuid wields 2 spears as a lancer that inflict unhealable curses or can bypass magical armor.

Nuebot posted:

The only thing I know about Fate is that its writing, plot, and fanbase are really bad and when someone I knew told me to play the mobile game because it was awesome, I had too look up the characters I was getting on the wiki and there I was given a revelation that almost every female character is, or at least looks, the same. They also all seem to have the same name. So there's a circumstance in which one character has sex with their own sister, who looks just like them, and has a kid, who also looks just like them, that has the same name as them. Also it's kind of weird that most of these characters, named after historical figures, just happen to be women, or little girls, who often wear very little clothing.

Fate is bad and I don't think I trust anyone who says it's good anymore.

It can maybe not be your thing without that being an evaluation as to its writing quality or the people who do enjoy it.

Regardless, to treat this seriously for a second:

-King Arthur turning out to be "secretly" a woman is fairly subversive on its own and in its context. You can give a Doylist interpretation that it appeals to the audience or whatever but originally Saber/Arturia as per many of the classic Nasu/Type Moon heroines is rather conservatively dressed. The original draft of the story was reversed, with the protagonist being female with a male King Arthur.

In general its an interesting idea from behind the veil of ignorance that maybe many famous figures we "record" as male were in fact women who later historians revised out of existence. While from a Doylist perspective we can infer this is the writers knowing what they're famous for and making a cheeky running gag out of it/designed to appeal to the fanbase; it is however still interesting. Since it leads to the idea that maybe Drake and Queen Elizabeth traded places and so on.

Then you have I think whats a complicated but endearing aspect to this where parts of the trans and nonbinary community appropriate some of these characters as relatable rolemodels, such as Mordred or Chevalier D'eon. Which is cool! So like even if we accept for the sake of the argument that the Doylist perspective is "accurate" to whatever degree, I think the fact that loads of people appear to acquire comfort from these characters and relate to them lends a degree of legitimacy back to them; which can be supported as subtext.

-A number of characters were created that "look like" Saber for a couple of reasons. For one, its a plot element in Zero that Giles de Rais (Bluebeard) mistakes Saber for Jeanne d'Arc. I don't know what came first exactly in terms of what was in production or not, but Mordred was also originally meant to be very similar looking to Saber since Mordred is basically a magic clone depending on the revision. There was a Fate comedy 4koma magazine that featured a number of gag characters, including a "Sakura Saber" (Okita Souji who hangs out with Oda Nobunaga) and "Saber Lily" and others. Partly because the head artist who drew Saber REALLY likes his creation and just wants to keep making more versions of her. Medea/Caster in the comedy/gag spinoff has a scene where she's basically Takeuchi's self insert in her otaku like obsession with Saber making little figurines and so on as a bit of self-deprecating humour.

Regardless, there's a long running theater tradition in which Okita Souji (the head of the Shogunate's secret police force historically) has almost always been played by a women; so making her actually a woman isn't really a stretch and was originally just a gag character who cracked 4th wall breaking self referential jokes.

Basically it's a running gag that they keep making "Saber faces" but there aren't all that many and most just exist as alternate classes or alternate "What if" versions from alternate timelines because PLOT.

Like you wouldn't complain about there being "too many Supermen" right because of all the different timelines and such? I think they even crossover and help each other sometimes? It's not really different I think.

And just for the record there are MANY historical figures who DO in reality happen to be women. And are also like really famous? Like Tomoe Gozen? It can be entirely possible that some historical figures who were men might actually be women. Ouku the Hidden Chambers posits an alternate history where the Tokugawa Shogunate and Japanese society becomes a matriarchy when 1/3 of all men die due to a mysterious illness. It's not like "historical" but it's interesting to think about? It's just alternate history. Sometimes even just parallel world's like in the case of Miyomoto Musashi.

I don't know what your angle is otherwise, but presumably more female representation is good no?

Terrible Opinions posted:

Except that's kinda the problem. Fate decides having gay incest babies is a bridge too far and cowardly decides Mordred is really like a clone or something. Similarly most of the gay male dudes are either made straight or turned into women.

Uh, Waver and Iskander canonically banged. Fate is absolutely not at all afraid of gay or lesbian sex/romance and there's at least one canonical lesbian romance in Fate/Extra with the female Hakuno. IIRC in the side stories about Camelot, Guinevere was more than happy with Arturia being a lady.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Dec 31, 2019

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yikes

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
SMT4 was the first game in the series that I liked enough to finish. I don't know what people dislike about it. Haven't played Apocalypse, though.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I sure do love that internet critic, the Fate series

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

poparena posted:

I have no idea what any of you are talking about. Anyway, my last video of the year/decade goes back to Hocus Focus, a lost show from Nickelodeon's first year in 1979. An episode was recently unearthed, so now we have some idea of what this program was actually about.

This upsets me in the same way that Vegetable Soup upsets me, in that there would probably be a popular outcry against a show encouraging compassion and emotional intelligence, were it to air today. The 70s were horrible by any objective standard, but it really seems like there was more discursive space than we have available now, where everything gets reduced to the binary of culture war against fascists.

Is that naive?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

Yeah Takeuchi made it a thing that Diarmuid/Cu since they're both Irish/Celtic have similar armor to reference celtic warpaint and to give all celtic/irish/scottish (Scathach?) characters a theme to their costume designs. But yes they're very different and have very different legends.

Cu Cullain is the Hound of Cullain and has beast like agility and wields perhaps the second most famous spear in mythology. So he has the single red spear that never misses; while Diarmuid wields 2 spears as a lancer that inflict unhealable curses or can bypass magical armor.

It can maybe not be your thing without that being an evaluation as to its writing quality or the people who do enjoy it.

Regardless, to treat this seriously for a second:

-King Arthur turning out to be "secretly" a woman is fairly subversive on its own and in its context. You can give a Doylist interpretation that it appeals to the audience or whatever but originally Saber/Arturia as per many of the classic Nasu/Type Moon heroines is rather conservatively dressed. The original draft of the story was reversed, with the protagonist being female with a male King Arthur.

In general its an interesting idea from behind the veil of ignorance that maybe many famous figures we "record" as male were in fact women who later historians revised out of existence. While from a Doylist perspective we can infer this is the writers knowing what they're famous for and making a cheeky running gag out of it/designed to appeal to the fanbase; it is however still interesting. Since it leads to the idea that maybe Drake and Queen Elizabeth traded places and so on.

Then you have I think whats a complicated but endearing aspect to this where parts of the trans and nonbinary community appropriate some of these characters as relatable rolemodels, such as Mordred or Chevalier D'eon. Which is cool! So like even if we accept for the sake of the argument that the Doylist perspective is "accurate" to whatever degree, I think the fact that loads of people appear to acquire comfort from these characters and relate to them lends a degree of legitimacy back to them; which can be supported as subtext.

-A number of characters were created that "look like" Saber for a couple of reasons. For one, its a plot element in Zero that Giles de Rais (Bluebeard) mistakes Saber for Jeanne d'Arc. I don't know what came first exactly in terms of what was in production or not, but Mordred was also originally meant to be very similar looking to Saber since Mordred is basically a magic clone depending on the revision. There was a Fate comedy 4koma magazine that featured a number of gag characters, including a "Sakura Saber" (Okita Souji who hangs out with Oda Nobunaga) and "Saber Lily" and others. Partly because the head artist who drew Saber REALLY likes his creation and just wants to keep making more versions of her. Medea/Caster in the comedy/gag spinoff has a scene where she's basically Takeuchi's self insert in her otaku like obsession with Saber making little figurines and so on as a bit of self-deprecating humour.

Regardless, there's a long running theater tradition in which Okita Souji (the head of the Shogunate's secret police force historically) has almost always been played by a women; so making her actually a woman isn't really a stretch and was originally just a gag character who cracked 4th wall breaking self referential jokes.

Basically it's a running gag that they keep making "Saber faces" but there aren't all that many and most just exist as alternate classes or alternate "What if" versions from alternate timelines because PLOT.

Like you wouldn't complain about there being "too many Supermen" right because of all the different timelines and such? I think they even crossover and help each other sometimes? It's not really different I think.

And just for the record there are MANY historical figures who DO in reality happen to be women. And are also like really famous? Like Tomoe Gozen? It can be entirely possible that some historical figures who were men might actually be women. Ouku the Hidden Chambers posits an alternate history where the Tokugawa Shogunate and Japanese society becomes a matriarchy when 1/3 of all men die due to a mysterious illness. It's not like "historical" but it's interesting to think about? It's just alternate history. Sometimes even just parallel world's like in the case of Miyomoto Musashi.

I don't know what your angle is otherwise, but presumably more female representation is good no?

Uh, Waver and Iskander canonically banged. Fate is absolutely not at all afraid of gay or lesbian sex/romance and there's at least one canonical lesbian romance in Fate/Extra with the female Hakuno. IIRC in the side stories about Camelot, Guinevere was more than happy with Arturia being a lady.

can you go back to talking about moviebob

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Yeah the really defensive reaction here from people assuring themselves that girls (almost 33%!) like the same creepy thing as them doesn’t really assure me
im a girl dude, i have a lot of female friends who are into fate lol, thats what that post was talking about. if you think its creepy just call it creepy dont talk about who you think the fanbase is or w/e

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Endorph posted:

can you go back to talking about moviebob

imagine writing that post thinking anybody in this thread or the world at large would want to read it

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Rethinking everything I believe in now.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Alaois posted:

imagine writing that post thinking anybody in this thread or the world at large would want to read it
people have this instinct to like, justify something they like and like

i think fate is badass, people in this thread are dismissive of it, i dont really care because thats a dead end road, its not like they'll care if i make a giant effort post about it. i don't need to justify it. iunno why you'd feel the need to that badly. correcting misinfo is one thing, and I wish the type moon wiki didnt exist because its horribly written and has tons of wrong information on it, but not like I can do anything about that.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Dec 31, 2019

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

JordanKai posted:

C-come again? :stare:

Gigguk is an absolutely massive piece of poo poo who set up this whole foundation about 'giving demographic information to japanese anime makers so they know what western anime fans REALLY want' with a bunch of other ~influencers~ (most of which were making videos aimed at very young kids), and pushed very hard for all their fanbases to fill out a questionnaire, which included a lot of super specific stuff like various disabilities. And then it turns out that the whole thing was a stealth partnership with lootcrate to sell that info.

I believe the whole thing went under after it got out, and he distanced himself from that, but he didn't distance himself from dropping lovely comments about gender fluidity though.

Anyways, Fate owns just for actually having a non-negligible number of trans, bi, nonbinary, and gender fluid chars.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

MonsieurChoc posted:

You can easily never spend a cent on micro-transactions. The low-rarity servants can be surprisingly good and every time there's a new challenge boss, someone will destroy it on youtube using only low-rarity characters.

Of course Gacha is evil and will make you want to get every new character they introduce. That's how they make all the money after all.

Maybe I'll give a try in the future.

Solitair posted:

SMT4 was the first game in the series that I liked enough to finish. I don't know what people dislike about it. Haven't played Apocalypse, though.

I technically fulfilled my pseudo-bucket-list goal of playing a SMT game a year or so ago with Persona 5, but I've still not played any games from the core series, or any of the other spin-offs.

I dunno, the original SMT games don't pique my interest as much as the spin-offs like Persona or Devil Summoner. They seem a little dry, and on the difficult side. However, part of the reason I bought a Nintendo Switch was to give SMT5 a shot, if/when it eventually comes out.

The main barrier of entry to the SMT franchise, regardless of series, is the screwy way they do the releases.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Endorph posted:

people have this instinct to like, justify something they like and like

i think fate is badass, people in this thread are dismissive of it, i dont really care because thats a dead end road, its not like they'll care if i make a giant effort post about it. i don't need to justify it. iunno why you'd feel the need to that badly.

The post was long because the production and creative history is long, filled with injokes and referential humour and that original poster's post was a little more than merely dismissive. I personally think its fair to try to explain some things that seem weird at a glance but do have some legitimate context. I'm confused why you go from, "Well I don't need to justify it" to making GBS threads on me for being willing to take the time and effort.

Like yeah the OP is probably a bad faith troll but I think its worth at least trying once to explain.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The issue is that your explanation was so long and rambling, and didn't cut to the core of the issues. Nobody cares about how in specific plot contexts some of these writing decisions actually make perfect sense, especially not people who've never touched anything from the franchise in their lives. If someone was actually interested they might wanna know about the production history, but someone who's default place is dismissal really wouldn't. You could've just said 'nah, that's just a gag where a few characters look similar, and that bit's basically the same as it was in mythology minus the genderswap, and i think genderswapping has some cool writing opportunities' and it would have been basically the same post.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Solitair posted:

Some people don't like how the most difficult thing in the game is the very first boss, and then it just gets easier and easier from there. That and the world map being a bit confusing if you're just trying to get from where you are to where you're supposed to be asap are the only two things I've seen people complain about tho. It's a good game.

Also I think fate sucks rear end, but I respect a lot of people who like it so I'm sure it's one of those things where it's just not for me

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Nuebot posted:

They aren't usually portrayed as hot anime triplets though. From what I've seen of fate, like half the characters are the exact same lady in different colors, occasionally with a hair style change.

and some of them aren't even supposed to be!

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Fate is a solidly B tier anime, but it does do a few interesting things with it's characters so it gets some props for that. That's probably as many words as the series warrants.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Astolfo is pretty cute, and he's really loving gay, which is fun. I always thought it was funny that he's officially bi but I don't think he's ever dated a woman in any fate media, but he's been with plenty of dudes.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

Astolfo is pretty cute, and he's really loving gay, which is fun. I always thought it was funny that he's officially bi but I don't think he's ever dated a woman in any fate media, but he's been with plenty of dudes.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I waver (a-hyuk) between really liking Fate and not caring much for it because the idea of various mythological and historical figures duking it out is extremely my poo poo, but some of the interpretations are so far removed that I fail to recognize them as a version of the figure in question. Sometimes this has a point, but it's still not what I'm looking for from that kind of premise.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

At the very least Fate deserves props for, after rehabbing Nero Caesar, Francis Drake, and loving Elizabeth Bathory, looking at Christopher Columbus and still saying "actually, gently caress this guy entirely" and somehow being one of the very few works to portray him as just as much of an unvarnished piece of poo poo as he actually was historically

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

my favorite fate character is Ishtar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KdQ7Gig770

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Augus posted:

my favorite fate character is Ishtar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KdQ7Gig770

:golfclap:

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
The funny thing about Colombus is that the reason most of the Servants don't display any of the bigotry and prejudice common to their times is that they've accepted that humanity's values have changed ever since their departures, but Colombus was just that determined to be an absolute shithead.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I sure do love that internet critic, the Fate series
I sure do love that internet critic, Star Wars

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

These critics are pawns.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

"I can't believe these anime geeks may control the fate of the Middle East."

"Your waifu!? How did she get to be your waifu!?"

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Dec 31, 2019

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

This is some Dumbledore was gay level poo poo.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Terrible Opinions posted:

what does this even refer to

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Raenir Salazar posted:

Like yeah the OP is probably a bad faith troll but I think its worth at least trying once to explain.

I read a wiki about a character I got in a gacha game and that was my experience with it. The lower half of that page was nothing but pictures of that character in various flavors of bikini. I didn't stick around to get overly invested in the franchise because that didn't seem like a series I wanted to get invested in. Nothing about it has seen especially interesting or engaging to me - it's great that some people find something about it to really draw them in. But I still think it's a pretty bad series overall. The conceit of summoning ancient figures from history is interesting and cool. "What if X historical figure was secretly a woman?" can be cool. "Every historical figure is actually an anime waifu, collect them all and make your waifu fight against the other waifus to prove whose is the best!" Does not sound in any way good.

Anyway, because I first heard about them from this very thread: Kruggsmash has been doing a really fun tournament style thing with really short episodes in contrast to their usual long-form series. I've been enjoying it a bunch and it's a pretty fun way to get into it, if you've ever been curious but found those long videos people have posted but slightly daunting.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Nuebot posted:

But I still think it's a pretty bad series overall...

Okay so to be clear, it sounds like you haven't had any experience with any installments of the series, and don't have any interest in it, which is fair.

I think you're wrong but like, not sure how you expect this to go. You listed all the reasons as to why the Fate series is good, but basically just don't like it's also anime? I can't really have a discussion with someone's first impressions from reading a random out of context wiki page.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

I can't really have a discussion with someone's first impressions from reading a random out of context wiki page.

then loving

dont????????????????

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

One of the fan wads for DOOM had the cursed Astolfo plushie... which does exactly what you expect it to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRZzprh7nLQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

Okay so to be clear, it sounds like you haven't had any experience with any installments of the series, and don't have any interest in it, which is fair.

I think you're wrong but like, not sure how you expect this to go. You listed all the reasons as to why the Fate series is good, but basically just don't like it's also anime? I can't really have a discussion with someone's first impressions from reading a random out of context wiki page.

Please stop