Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah I've never seen a paper filter break before. Toss those out.

torgeaux posted:

Basically, which is why I never understood the appeal. Clever coffee dripper allows the coffee bloom to occur, which can make a big flavor difference and it's basically a time controlled pour over in terms of difficulty.

Honestly I just think the Clever is fugly. I have one and use it sometimes but the ceramic cones are so much prettier and I like using a gooseneck kettle and grinding the beans with a manual grinder while the water heats up. It's a morning ritual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
I'm discovering I really ought to get a scale for proper measuring out of my beans and grounds; does anyone have recommendations for a good scale? I'm leaning towards the Hario V60 scale but I don't know if it's good value for money against, say, the Amazon Basics scale at 1/3 the price.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Canuck-Errant posted:

I'm discovering I really ought to get a scale for proper measuring out of my beans and grounds; does anyone have recommendations for a good scale? I'm leaning towards the Hario V60 scale but I don't know if it's good value for money against, say, the Amazon Basics scale at 1/3 the price.

I just got the Hario V60 for Christmas and it's pretty sweet. The time function is really nice for pourover if that's your thing.

I had an amazon scale before, and that thing chewed through batteries at a phenomenal clip - I had to replace them every other week, it was awful - even more frequently if I wanted to use it while weighing a pourover vessel for water volume. I'm hoping that since the V60 is actually designed with having heavier weights of water and equipment weighed on it, that the battery life won't be so poo poo.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
I’ve had the Hario scale over the last 4 years and it’s worked fine. I’d recommend it since the built in timer is nice and the overall form factor is pleasant.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Canuck-Errant posted:

I've been using this since 2014 and it works like a champ.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001RF3XJ2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Do you really need a fancy coffee scale if all you’re doing is weighing water and beans? Any gram accurate scale should work fine.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Some of them have an auto shutoff that turns off like 2 minutes in. The one I use will stay on for over 4 minutes so it's useful if you do pour overs.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Canuck-Errant posted:

I’ve been using a Greatergoods cheap scale for a couple of years now. Seems to be working great.

https://www.amazon.com/GreaterGoods...ps%2C201&sr=8-4

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Mu Zeta posted:

Some of them have an auto shutoff that turns off like 2 minutes in. The one I use will stay on for over 4 minutes so it's useful if you do pour overs.

Mine does that, but if I keep prodding it every so often it'll stay on long enough.

Niyqor
Dec 1, 2003

Paid for by the meat council of America
I've used this scale almost daily since mid-2015. It can be powered with either an AC adapter or batteries. I'm glad I never run I to a situation where I have to find new batteries when I want to make coffee.

It can handle way more weight than I need to for coffee making. Turns out this is useful for other kitchen related weighing.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004C3CAB8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_5.ScEb3VR5R8F

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah I've seen a million coffee shops using those scales. But I'm cheap and rather save $10.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
I've used a few cheapo amazon scales with mixed results. Currently using these in the 500g/0.001g variety and they're miles better than any other I've tried. Accurate and quickly responds to weight changes. Only had it a couple of months so I don't know how it'll fare long term but it's cheap enough that if i get a years use out of it I won't mind rebuying one.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Melodrip report: it's good. I brewed something today that went to 4:30 (18g of beans) and it was awesome - no over extraction. Full on blueberry bomb with an Ethiopian natural.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I have a baratza encore, and the discharge chute is clogged, like badly. Any advice on unclogging it?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

iospace posted:

I have a baratza encore, and the discharge chute is clogged, like badly. Any advice on unclogging it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPkbcKyDLqk Use the wire brush it came with and bend it like this video shows and then shove it around in there.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

iospace posted:

Compressed air?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mr. Mambold posted:

Compressed air?

That got most of it out, now's just the rest of the junk.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

iospace posted:

That got most of it out, now's just the rest of the junk.

I use Urnex Grindz to clean my grinders on a regular basis. You can just run it through the machines and then blow out the rest. It doesn’t need it super regularly for me, and once a month is plenty.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Some of the links in the OP are broken, what are some good but hopefully not too expensive models of automatic drip coffee makers? I'm annoyed with mine not having a removable basket making it hard to clean if I spill the used grinds inside of it. I read in the OP that apparently automatic drip feeders might be not hot enough at first and then too hot so if there's a better option that tastes noticibly better I'm probably willing to give it a try?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I got https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SK5IXPQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1 which I really ended up liking a lot and hits temp. Makes a perfect 24oz travel mug.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Raenir Salazar posted:

Some of the links in the OP are broken, what are some good but hopefully not too expensive models of automatic drip coffee makers? I'm annoyed with mine not having a removable basket making it hard to clean if I spill the used grinds inside of it. I read in the OP that apparently automatic drip feeders might be not hot enough at first and then too hot so if there's a better option that tastes noticibly better I'm probably willing to give it a try?

https://sca.coffee/certified-home-brewer

Usually everyone just recommends something off this list. drat just noticed the Ninjas made the list. I probably would go with the the Breville or Bonavita ones.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

DangerZoneDelux posted:

https://sca.coffee/certified-home-brewer

Usually everyone just recommends something off this list. drat just noticed the Ninjas made the list. I probably would go with the the Breville or Bonavita ones.

Oh my god these are all so far like 200$+ in my Canadian funny money! Off of amazon anyways.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Can anyone 3D print me a new top for my moccamaster? I’d like to get the aftermarket head that better distributes the water over the grounds.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
I got one of these clay coffee roasters for Christmas: https://www.amazon.com/Nuvo-Ceramic-Handy-Coffee-Roaster/dp/B00LHEKY68

It's neat. I've never roasted coffee before and I'm enjoying learning the hard way even if I'll eventually buy something automated and nice one day.

I also got three kinds of green Mexican beans to go with it, a generic "Mexican", Mexico Chiapas Cesmach, and Mexico - Tzeltal - Tzotzil. They're all tasty, but none of them have the cloying and fruity sweetness of the Mexican beans that a local roaster used to do, or that even the Van Houtte mass market stuff had a hint of (last I tried). Any idea what beans I should be looking for?

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

sellouts posted:

Can anyone 3D print me a new top for my moccamaster? I’d like to get the aftermarket head that better distributes the water over the grounds.

Is there some place in the US selling that thing?

mystes
May 31, 2006

sellouts posted:

Unless you use special food-safe filament, it's probably not a good idea to directly use 3d-printed parts for stuff like this.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Paul Proteus posted:

Is there some place in the US selling that thing?

No, Australia, but I will be there soon.

mystes posted:

Unless you use special food-safe filament, it's probably not a good idea to directly use 3d-printed parts for stuff like this.

It never touches food or water and will be off during operation. It’s just to keep dust out when not in use.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
I finally pulled the trigger on a Breville Infuser machine as a christmas gift to myself. Got it for a song via an amazon warehouse deal, packing came banged up but the machine itself is perfect. Took a little bit to get things dialed in, but I've been pulling some drat good shots lately. I'd really like to find a bottomless/naked portafilter for the thing, but they use a non-standard grouphead on it. Besides that being a little tricky when it comes to aftermarket stuff, I've been really happy with the little thing.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

qutius posted:

I finally pulled the trigger on a Breville Infuser machine as a christmas gift to myself. Got it for a song via an amazon warehouse deal, packing came banged up but the machine itself is perfect. Took a little bit to get things dialed in, but I've been pulling some drat good shots lately. I'd really like to find a bottomless/naked portafilter for the thing, but they use a non-standard grouphead on it. Besides that being a little tricky when it comes to aftermarket stuff, I've been really happy with the little thing.

Get a spare portafilter that fits and cut the bottom off (or find a machine shop to chop and finish it for you! I know I couldn’t cut something like that at home).

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Ultimate Mango posted:

Get a spare portafilter that fits and cut the bottom off (or find a machine shop to chop and finish it for you! I know I couldn’t cut something like that at home).

That's the plan! drat things aren't cheap, tho.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

qutius posted:

That's the plan! drat things aren't cheap, tho.

So circumcise the one you have!

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Does anyone have a good idea of the ideal brew size for the Kalita Wave 185? The stuff i'm finding online lists numbers of "cups", but definitions of cups varies quite a bit. I'm hoping it'll be good for around 400-500 grams of brewed coffee in a single go.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

Gunder posted:

Does anyone have a good idea of the ideal brew size for the Kalita Wave 185? The stuff i'm finding online lists numbers of "cups", but definitions of cups varies quite a bit. I'm hoping it'll be good for around 400-500 grams of brewed coffee in a single go.

400-500g is great for the 185 imo.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
:coffee:

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Just tried my first ever manual pour-over using the Kalita Wave 185. I brewed 500ml of water with 30grams of coffee. Might have been the nicest tasting cup of coffee I've ever had. I used these beans: https://www.papercupcoffee.co.uk/collections/all/products/sweeter-things

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Just saw this recipe for the Kalita Wave: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr__Va0WpkU It has a 1:13 ratio, which seems like an awful lot of coffee, but it's the standard recipe some coffee shop in California. I'll try it tomorrow morning regardless and hope it doesn't make me feel ill.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That's why a drip coffee costs like $5 in shops now

Also if you remember Shawn Elliott from GFW he's now the lead game designer on the new announced Bioshock game. Crazy.

Oromo
Jul 29, 2009

I make 1:12 all the time. Ever tried seperating the last quarter of the water coming through the cone in a 1:16 brew? Well, in many cases it doesn't taste like something you'd want to mix into your coffee. Getting a 25% smaller cup of much better coffee is not a bad option IMO

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Any suggestions for a good bean canister?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

obi_ant posted:

Any suggestions for a good bean canister?

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Coffeevac&ref=nb_sb_noss_2