Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Sekenr posted:

I am curious what were the outlandish tactics that fans used to save the show?
One of them forced workers to work themselves nearly to death, used their dominance to undercut other online retailers to put them out of business and then drove prices up again, displayed misleading "sale" prices, ruthlessly exploited delivery workers so that people can get "free" shipping on items that are overpriced already to account for the shipping, and canceled The Tick. It worked though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Just finished the season. Thought it was great.

E9: lmao at Miller’s “oh by the way you’ve got protomolecule on the Roci that was never resolved in season 3; just sayin’

Full season: The Bobbi and Avarsarala sideplots weren’t very interesting though I guess they were setting up Political poo poo for season 5. Better kill the poo poo out of that fucker who spaced Ashford; I loved that guy.

Also there’s a part where Alex says the name of one of the new characters wrong in a scene where everyone else is saying it right; surprised that didn’t get caught.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Sekenr posted:

Haha, so Benzos saved the show? I guess if you consider him one of the fans, being a billionaire is kind of a tactic too.

Yeah he was into it before. The demo book for the Kindle at his presentations was Leviathan Wakes. At least the internet has told me that, I did not see it.

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

So glad I picked this show up as my winter watcher, just finished season 4 and the whole thing has been terrific. The added budget from Amazon in s4 (plus the rating change, helloooo f bombs!) was definitely noticeable. And I know he wasn’t a huge part of the show but seeing Ashur from Spartacus basically being Ashur, the good guy, was pretty cool. Dudes a good actor.

Also Bobbie :love:

Edit: took me forever to realize that was Avasarala’s husband and not somebody with the campaign, that was a rough recast.

Actually I guess there’s just a ton of really great casting for this show. Was so pleased to see the fookin legend!

Santheb fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Dec 31, 2019

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I think that the Arjun recast was the most jarring recast since Daario, maybe even worse. Like, Brian George is such a typecast when it comes to these sort of paternal south-east asian characters that casting someone 30 years his junior for the same role just completely changed the whole tone, we also know that Chrisjen and Arjun have adult children and while Shoreh clearly comes off as a woman in her 60s the new actor looks like he's in his fourties.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
I hate to admit it, but my first thought when I saw the new Arjun was that he was Avasarala's side piece. But I'm not going to knock the actor's performance, casts change sometimes. It certainly wasn't as weird as the Fabio/Daario recast or that dude that played The Mountain for two scenes in GoT season 2.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
I assumed he was connected to her brother from the first season, maybe a friend of his, given how awesome he (her dead brother) thought Mars was. It was only at the very end of the initial on-the-ship scene that I raised my eyebrows and was all 'wait, did they recast her husband?'.

I genuinely didn't realize it was him until the banquet scene, when he introduces himself to Bobbie.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

EimiYoshikawa posted:

I assumed he was connected to her brother from the first season, maybe a friend of his, given how awesome he (her dead brother) thought Mars was. It was only at the very end of the initial on-the-ship scene that I raised my eyebrows and was all 'wait, did they recast her husband?'.

I genuinely didn't realize it was him until the banquet scene, when he introduces himself to Bobbie.

You mean Frank DeGraaf? He wasn't her brother.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I hate to admit it, but my first thought when I saw the new Arjun was that he was Avasarala's side piece. But I'm not going to knock the actor's performance, casts change sometimes. It certainly wasn't as weird as the Fabio/Daario recast or that dude that played The Mountain for two scenes in GoT season 2.

Yeah he acted fine but to me it's like they also switched out Arjun's personality and motivations with the actor, and that succ

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hopefully they kill him off soon.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Phi230 posted:

The entire Expanse Franchise: 8 Novels, 7 Novellas, 4 seasons of TV, a roleplaying game, a board game and its expansion, a comic series, and two miniature rocinante's have all been released since GRRM's last book

Oh there was an expansion to the game?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

EimiYoshikawa posted:

When he introduced himself to Bobbie I legit thought he was just an aid of Avasarala and was trying to quickly get info out of Bobbie by quickly building trust. I was very much "nope, that can't be him"

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I think that the Arjun recast was the most jarring recast since Daario, maybe even worse. Like, Brian George is such a typecast when it comes to these sort of paternal south-east asian characters that casting someone 30 years his junior for the same role just completely changed the whole tone, we also know that Chrisjen and Arjun have adult children and while Shoreh clearly comes off as a woman in her 60s the new actor looks like he's in his fourties.

Do we know that he's the father of her children? Maybe since last season she divorced that old dude and got herself a new younger piece whose dick still works.

Matwic
Aug 21, 2007
I kinda like the new Arjun. Brian George felt like a puppet or even a pet husband of Avasarala, always there to comfort her, never question anything. The new one feels much more fitting as Avasarala's husband, he is confident, has enough of her bullshit and clearly tells her so, but he still loves her. He seems much more the type that a woman like Avasarala would actually respect and develop a long lasting relationship with.

I'm much more worried about Marco and season 5. He is casted and written exactly like described in the books, but that is not a good thing. In both instances the problem is that every character talks about him as such a charismatic, passionate (and manipulative) leader, but in every scene we see him, he is just a complete poo poo spewing bullshit for minutes and minutes. Yet everybody still fall for his poo poo. That is very bad writing, it is one of the worst examples of "telling us not showing us".

They have done such an excellent job with Ashford and Drummer, hell every character is better written in the show and has more depth and emotions. I really hope they do something better with Marco for season 5.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I piped in at the sunset of the Season 3 thread and got through everything up through S04E01 in the past two weeks. Just absolutely floored with the quality of this show and the books (nearly half way through book 1).

Season 3 finale just completely changed everything and with the Amazon purchase this show could legitimately go on for as long as it needs to now.

Looking forward to keeping up as I finish Season 4.

I caught one spoiler while looking up a quote in the first book (Holden makes a comment about an anvil being a better planet buster than any ship and I was curious exactly how much damage an anvil could do) and it brought me to the Expanse wiki which is a HUGE MISTAKE. Not sure if this shows up in Season 4 or is exclusively a late stage book spoiler but

E: edited out

Regardless, I hate having that little spoiler stuck in my head as that's all I can think about. Never stumble on spoilers, ever!

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 31, 2019

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
There is no good reason to post that here, tagged or not.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Toast Museum posted:

There is no good reason to post that here, tagged or not.

It's gone. Bad judgment. Hope that wasn't new for you.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Matwic posted:

I'm much more worried about Marco and season 5. He is casted and written exactly like described in the books, but that is not a good thing. In both instances the problem is that every character talks about him as such a charismatic, passionate (and manipulative) leader, but in every scene we see him, he is just a complete poo poo spewing bullshit for minutes and minutes. Yet everybody still fall for his poo poo. That is very bad writing, it is one of the worst examples of "telling us not showing us".

They have done such an excellent job with Ashford and Drummer, hell every character is better written in the show and has more depth and emotions. I really hope they do something better with Marco for season 5.

I think it half works but he talks way too much and needs to do something other than stage whisper

E: like the whole time hes in the airlock I was thinking "ok I get your point shut the gently caress up already"

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Matwic posted:

Do you watch old Hitler films and think, this here is a guy who is a complete poo poo spewing bullshit for hours and hours is an uncharismatic, unpassionate dude that no one would follow? Just because Marco has 125x the body count of Hitler doesn't mean he's going to be 125x as persuasive. It works just fine.

Apparatchik Magnet fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Dec 31, 2019

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Matwic posted:

I'm surprised to see you say this, because Marco was one of the characters that I felt was much better on screen than in the books. In the show, we've seen a lot of the OPA leaders, and they're all skeevy-looking pirate captains, and it's a lot easier to remember that a lot of the OPA were terrorists or terrorist-adjacent when it came to fighting for Belter rights. Marco's speech about how he's being punished for a strike against the inners when just a few years ago he would have been praised felt a lot more convincing than I thought it would, he really pulls into the us vs. them mentality that a lot of Belters are used to having.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
I have it on good record that a hours of ranting, incoherent, bullshit is plenty enough to drum up a crowd of violent, ill-educated would-be-murderers. Doubly so if you have a neat red hat.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

TraderStav posted:

Nah, I'm a filthy book person. Thanks for editing :hfive:

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Toast Museum posted:

Nah, I'm a filthy book person. Thanks for editing :hfive:

Man I was really tempted to click on that but held off.

Just finished up this season today and I really enjoyed it, more than most of you guys it seems. I really love space colonization stuff like Interstellar or The Martian and the trailer for this got me really pumped up to see these characters in that kind of setting. And the cinematography planet side I guess made up for the slower plot development for me 🤷🏻‍♂️

Nice change of pace, and I’m excited to see how next year is going to ramp up things.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

StashAugustine posted:

Oh there was an expansion to the game?

Yeah, "Doors and Corners" that updated the game to season 3.

I don't know if there will be more expansions though

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

TraderStav posted:

Kinda pointless considering fuckwit's marco posts.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
I binged all 4 seasons over the holiday break, what a great show! Season 4 though was underwhelming. The one thing that is laughable is why the gently caress does everyone have a thin glass phone/tablet? Throughout the series there have been a few occurrences of them being damaged or broken. Phone cases not a thing?

Anyway Amos is my favorite, bring on season 5.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Weaponized Autism posted:

I binged all 4 seasons over the holiday break, what a great show! Season 4 though was underwhelming. The one thing that is laughable is why the gently caress does everyone have a thin glass phone/tablet? Throughout the series there have been a few occurrences of them being damaged or broken. Phone cases not a thing?

Anyway Amos is my favorite, bring on season 5.
If you don't think that everyone who could afford it, and plenty of people who couldn't, would buy a thin glass phone/tablet if Apple started selling one and all the other companies started copying Apple, then I don't know what to tell you.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Glass is cheap. Overlay whatever magical electronics they have on it, and mass distribute. Miller's was cracked just to make it unique, because of course he has a broken phone.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Also, you're going for an overall look to your show with its production design, and utilizing a whole bunch of different styles of 'tablet interface' props is both a timesink and confuses the overall visual language.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Phi230 posted:

Yeah, "Doors and Corners" that updated the game to season 3.

I don't know if there will be more expansions though

Which is an obnoxiously bad title that has absolutely nothing to do with the content of the game but it is a good improvement on an already solid game. It's not like, game of the year, but it is a shockingly good board game given that it is based on a popular IP.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I'm pretty certain whatever glass material they use for their Future Phones is pretty drat durable compared to today. I remember the phone that got smashed to bits by the robot arm in the Navoo looked fragile but at the same time it got crushed by a robotic arm

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

logikv9 posted:

I'm pretty certain whatever glass material they use for their Future Phones is pretty drat durable compared to today. I remember the phone that got smashed to bits by the robot arm in the Navoo looked fragile but at the same time it got crushed by a robotic arm

the gently caress happened to miller's then? did he get a bible-caught-bullet out of it?

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

He left it out in the rain.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Nothing is stored locally on the terminals and you can apparently get a new one out of any public printer if you're on Earth or Mars.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
When the refugees show up up Tycho, there's someone handing out hand terminals.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
They just had all those hooli phones lying around anyway

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

T-man posted:

the gently caress happened to miller's then? did he get a bible-caught-bullet out of it?

space

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Dancer posted:

Which is an obnoxiously bad title that has absolutely nothing to do with the content of the game but it is a good improvement on an already solid game. It's not like, game of the year, but it is a shockingly good board game given that it is based on a popular IP.

Doors and corners, kid, thats where they get you.

The terminals can hold stuff and what not, the lay it out in the book that all of the terminals on Ilus are basically on an ad hoc peer to peer network. On a ship/city/station theyre all centrally hooked in together. They become a lot easier to produce when its basically just the interface, bettery, and space wifi antenna. There is undoubtedly high end space phones, but for most people a freebie phone is good enough.

Millers phone was cracked because miller.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

They're called thin clients or zero clients and they're in use today even. There's a cloud server that does all the actual work, and people connect to it with these cheap, low-powered devices that pretty much just send commands to the server and display the responses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I hate thin clients with a passion.