Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Clerical Terrors posted:

Alfred J. Kwak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OSIpNASt0U

Best anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

My childhood.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Clerical Terrors posted:

Alfred J. Kwak

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

none of them :smug:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Junpei Hyde posted:

whats a good anime

Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt

:hmmyes:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Junpei Hyde posted:

whats a good anime
all of them

all of the anime

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Why'd that guy cum out of the top of his head.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Because he's a dickhead.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Wait. Is that a mustang

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Leal posted:

Wait. Is that a mustang

I believe that's a Shelby Cobra GT500.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Junpei Hyde posted:

whats a good anime

I know the yellow kid is pretty annoying but give Demon Slayer a chance.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Leal posted:

Wait. Is that a mustang

Max Wilco posted:

I believe that's a Shelby Cobra GT500.
yeah. gunsmith cats is a really rad thriller/action/drama and excellent in terms of action, muscle cars, and insanely detailed gun minutiae. I got a VHS tape of Riding Bean at a yard sale when I was a kid and thought it was the coolest drat thing I'd ever seen

it is also something I will never recommend to anyone because the sidekick character is a literal child prostitute

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Anime... might be go

Captain Invictus posted:

it is also something I will never recommend to anyone because the sidekick character is a literal child prostitute

Oh. Nevermind.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

RareAcumen posted:

I know the yellow kid is pretty annoying but give Demon Slayer a chance.

Yeah the show is good and after the second episode or so it mostly consists of very well-animated swordfight scenes. I think the yellow kid is funny.

Mob Psycho 100 is easily the best anime I've ever seen, it's probably my favorite show of all time.

I'm not a particularly anti-anime person but I've found that a lot of the most popular/recommended anime loving sucks.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Casey Finnigan posted:

I'm not a particularly anti-anime person but I've found that a lot of the most popular/recommended anime loving sucks.
like what

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
Speaking of anime, here's a 1+ video analyzing the politics of Hayao Miyazaki's films:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMXN6B-tqZM

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The good anime is....Goblin Slayer :)

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

anime is just like every other media where a lot of it is soulless trash made solely to make a profit

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

The fact that this Anime had a character transition during a timeskip because the showrunner decided to just put that in the series without ever addressing it still blows my mind.

:hai:

Clerical Terrors fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Dec 31, 2019

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
Thunderbolt Fantasy is a pretty good anime even though it's entirely live action puppets.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Junpei Hyde posted:

whats a good anime

a place further than the universe

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

The ones that were recommended to me that I thought were just garbage were Konosuba, Overlord, Fate/Zero, Sword Art Online, and Darling in the Franxx (I think most people have soured on that show by now though, this was back when it was airing and hadn't finished). Those were the ones where I was completely unimpressed with everything about them and pretty repulsed by the way they're written.

I also saw Gurrenn Lagann and Death Note and I think they're not very good. I thought My Hero Academia was only decent in season one. But those aren't horrible shows or anything. Just didn't get what's supposed to make them some of the best. There was also that moment when Kemono Friends was super popular for some reason, and that show was definitely not worthwhile.

I pretty much feel the same way about most popular American TV shows, though, so it might just be me.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Casey Finnigan posted:

The ones that were recommended to me that I thought were just garbage were Konosuba, Overlord, Fate/Zero, Sword Art Online, and Darling in the Franxx (I think most people have soured on that show by now though, this was back when it was airing and hadn't finished). Those were the ones where I was completely unimpressed with everything about them and pretty repulsed by the way they're written.

I also saw Gurrenn Lagann and Death Note and I think they're not very good. I thought My Hero Academia was only decent in season one. But those aren't horrible shows or anything. Just didn't get what's supposed to make them some of the best. There was also that moment when Kemono Friends was super popular for some reason, and that show was definitely not worthwhile.

I pretty much feel the same way about most popular American TV shows, though, so it might just be me.
is there no joy in your blackened, shriveled heart

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
I mean there's plenty of super popular anime that's nothing like those shows, like stuff for girls for starters. Online western discussion of anime is just even more narrow than the medium can sometimes be already. Totally fair to not like standard action stuff for teenagers that can sometimes dominate western discussion of anime, or bawdy comedies like KonoSuba. Stuff like A Place Further Than The Universe, Houseki no Kuni, any given romance series for girls, that stuff's also very popular, you just hear about it less in mainstream anime discussion.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 31, 2019

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
but really I'm gonna recommend you give Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood a go, that's a pretty safe recommendation for most people

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
I've shown Your Name to most of my friends and they all loved it. I'm pretty sure that qualifies as a popular Anime (film) that's both good and palatable to John Q. Public.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
same but liz and the blue bird and a silent voice, because i love naoko yamada

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Casey Finnigan posted:

The only one of these that really surprises me is Gurrenn Lagann, which I would think would at least make a case for itself on visual spectacle, but what I'd recommend for you is something like Samurai Champloo, Cowboy Bebop, or Monster which isn't aimed quite as much at the children/manchildren demo.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Endorph posted:

a place further than the universe

this is probably one of my favorite animes ive ever seen. its such a heartfelt and sweet story.

i think tatami galaxy is also probably one of my favorites too.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Clerical Terrors posted:

I've shown Your Name to most of my friends and they all loved it. I'm pretty sure that qualifies as a popular Anime (film) that's both good and palatable to John Q. Public.

I think your name is the first time a director has made something a lot more accessible that gets super popular and most of the hardcore fans agree that it’s his best work. It’s so loving good

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Endorph posted:

Houseki no Kuni

Captain Invictus posted:

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Yeah, I've seen these and these are both good. That's why I wouldn't say I'm an anti-anime person in general. JJBA is also good, and Ore Monogatari and Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun are both really good romantic comedy series with funny writing. I guess my main frustration really is that from my perspective it seems like anime fans in general tend to focus on the worst possible poo poo.

So to keep things on topic, who's an actually good anime reviewer on youtube?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Anime is good but anime recommendations tend to come with much bigger asterisks than usual, much more frequently, and that can be pretty offputting

There's good anime that doesn't really require a "also some of this is super gross" warning but not nearly enough of it

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Casey Finnigan posted:

Yeah, I've seen these and these are both good. That's why I wouldn't say I'm an anti-anime person in general. JJBA is also good, and Ore Monogatari and Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun are both really good romantic comedy series with funny writing. I guess my main frustration really is that from my perspective it seems like anime fans in general tend to focus on the worst possible poo poo.

So to keep things on topic, who's an actually good anime reviewer on youtube?

Super Eyepatch Wolf is a precious golden child

he does mostly anime related videos but pretty much all his videos are really well thought out and well edited. his simpsons video has a FANTASTIC intro, too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqFNbCcyFkk&hd=1

Mother's Basement is generally good though sometimes does dumb poo poo

Gigguk is the garbage plate of anime reviewers

also you might want to give Vinland Saga a go, it just wrapped up its first season and ended on a really high note.

it takes "liberties" with the history of the vikings, but in all the best, silly ways

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 31, 2019

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

the best anime is todd and aaron
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0b9qzyxYpU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
Super Eyepatch Wolf has good editing and some okay points but he gets stuff wrong a lot, especially in his broader shonen videos, and is generally pretty hyperfocused on action shonen. Not a bad watch but worth keeping those points in mind. And his video on Bartkira and other simpsons fan worked bugged me because he's an anime youtuber who made a giant video about how fanwork can be transformative and powerful and literally never mentioned doujin culture or comiket at any point.

ErynCerise's history of magical girls series has some good content and information in it even if some of her jokes fall flat, but she isn't really trying that hard to be jokey so whatever.

Under the Scope is mostly decent but can be a bit rambly, still I like how much enthusiasm and respect he has for drama and romance anime.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Junpei Hyde posted:

whats a good anime

There's this one where Dracula steals a hamburger, you ever seen that one?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Trojan Kaiju posted:

There's this one where Dracula steals a hamburger, you ever seen that one?

He doesn't steal it. He pays for it like a regular upstanding citizen and eats in the restaurant in full regalia.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Junpei Hyde posted:

whats a good anime

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their waifus.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Ping Pong The Animation is a real good sports show, with no real caveats except that the character designs aren't as generically pretty as is common in anime (and that might be a plus for you, who knows?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Endorph posted:

Super Eyepatch Wolf has good editing and some okay points but he gets stuff wrong a lot, especially in his broader shonen videos, and is generally pretty hyperfocused on action shonen. Not a bad watch but worth keeping those points in mind. And his video on Bartkira and other simpsons fan worked bugged me because he's an anime youtuber who made a giant video about how fanwork can be transformative and powerful and literally never mentioned doujin culture or comiket at any point.

ErynCerise's history of magical girls series has some good content and information in it even if some of her jokes fall flat, but she isn't really trying that hard to be jokey so whatever.

Under the Scope is mostly decent but can be a bit rambly, still I like how much enthusiasm and respect he has for drama and romance anime.

He's made more than a few errors in his wrestling videos too