Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Arcades that don't keep up with their game controls are poo poo. I would ask the manager about it. Usually, if the game is in good condition, calibration shouldn't be hard to do, however it really could be a difficult fix, depending. Still, it's their job to provide a machine that works correctly, so it's on them.

It's a pet peeve to hit so many "retro" arcades that are popping up and they do an absolute poo poo job with their machines. Many have moved to LCDs for the displays (which is loving terrible) but on top of that, they do stupid ship like display the game in the wrong aspect ratio... TMNT and SIMPSONS seem to be the worst offenders. I'm in St Louis and a bar near the Cardinals stadium is the worst offender. Half the games don't have working joysticks or buttons, probably the easiest thing to keep working/fix on any arcade machine.

Rant over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
We have one local "arcade" place that is exactly that. It's understandable that things break and it takes time, but cmon.

I'd say this place has 50+ games, perhaps a dozen are simply out of service, at least half of the 50 have the problems you describe, possible barely functional controllers and flakey player2 controls, etc.

They operate by a one time fee to get in, not per game. Fortunately a newer smaller barcade popped up and all of their stuff is proper, all CRT, except the 1-2 new games they have like Killer Queen.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

I once walked into the Nickel Nickel in Garden Grove, CA in 2017 and found all of their candy cabs to be CRT-purpled.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

XtraSmiley posted:

I'm in St Louis and a bar near the Cardinals stadium is the worst offender. Half the games don't have working joysticks or buttons, probably the easiest thing to keep working/fix on any arcade machine.

Oh hey what’s up stl goon

Have you been to the place in the CWE yet? It looks all nice and shiny but I haven’t had a chance to check it out. PS RIP our round 1 not opening until 2021

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

According to Google I can recalibrate Time Crisis 4 myself, by holding the trigger and stepping on the pedal without any credits in. Any other eclectic tricks like that?

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Boxman posted:

Oh hey what’s up stl goon

Have you been to the place in the CWE yet? It looks all nice and shiny but I haven’t had a chance to check it out. PS RIP our round 1 not opening until 2021

No, I say STL, but sadly I'm in IL in a poo poo town near the base I'm stationed at. Also, I have my own arcade, so it's hard to go to lovely ones anymore because I'm sad for the state of games.

Do you recommend the CWE one? I'll check it out next year!

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

Seedge posted:

I got some dumb questions for you. Yes, you, in particular. A new arcade place opened up in my town, and hoo boy, the machines need some work. Fight sticks that don't let you walk forward, for instance, but more specifically:

Is it hard to calibrate the guns for games like Ghost Squad, Time Crisis 4, Big Buck Hunter and Terminator Salvation? Because not one of them was accurate, TC4 being most egregious in preventing me from shooting anything in the top third of the screen.

Am I being an rear end in a top hat to expect these to be easy fixes for a new establishment that is still in the process of installing cabinets, and even their kitchen, to keep on top of? Or are these things it'd take, like, two minutes to recalibrate? I don't know much about how these work, so I figured you would know. Yes, you in particular.
During the brief time I worked at an arcade (Incredible Pizza in Sugar Land, TX as a summer job), the lead arcade tech spent all day working on a Jurassic Park lightgun cab and was basically no further along at the end of the day than when he started. Then again the guy was pretty inept at his job so it could have just been that.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
If you ever find yourself cruising across the desolate area known as South Dakota there's a really good barcade in the sticks called Eighty One worth checking out - lots of variety there from candies to pins to gun/racing and super outdated PIU & pop'n!

That said I spent yesterday screaming at eproms

These are a set of enthusiast pcbs meant to be used with the IGS PGM. They come completely bare with no parts and it's up to you to get all of them together and solder it up. The protection on the platform is rather absurd as it is somewhat like a Neo Geo but carts had their own ASIC chips with game-specific code as well as some games would use the built-in ARM processor for portions of the game. This splits things across numerous chips which makes conversion extremely painful and limited to specific games which destroyed a bunch of great games in favor of zomg CAVE GAMES!!!

If you're unable to read the EPROM labels the one I started with DDP3. The switch on the board allows the game to switch between the black label and white label arrangements. Along with this they were able to place the BIOS from a DDP3 board into the rom as well which allows these games to boot without the IGS splash screen as if they were the real deal.

Obviously they aren't, this solution also only works on 3 Cave games - DDP3, Ketsui & Espgluda. Those are the only 3 games to have bootlegs where someone went through all of the code and removed the reliance on the custom ASIC. This also means it isn't 100% original but personally I'm not a huge Cave fan and I mostly grabbed these so I can experience them and not deal with Cave pricing. One down, two to go... And no I did not destroy an original game with that case, it was a really lovely bootleg.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

flyboi posted:

And no I did not destroy an original game with that case, it was a really lovely bootleg.

Really? What game? I wasn't aware of any PGM bootlegs.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

XtraSmiley posted:

Really? What game? I wasn't aware of any PGM bootlegs.

Modified version of KoV+, there's a ton of v119 bootlegs out there. Easiest tell of original vs legit for KoV+ is to attack the first flaming statue set when you start a game. If the bottom statue drops a yellow sword it's a bootleg as it should be green.

Edit: here's the innards, pretty clearly a bootleg

flyboi fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jan 3, 2020

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Yeah, that's not a bootleg, that's a conversion to a hack.

A bootleg is a PCB made in a factory that is a copy of the real deal, at times with completely different chips, at times cheaper chips, and the layout could be completely different.

A conversion is when they take the PCB and change out the EPROMs/ROMs to a modified/different game.

As far as I know, there is no bootleg of any PGM carts, although there are a lot of weird conversions/hacks.

But thanks for the pics!

EDIT: Technically, your new Cave shooter is a bootleg... but a pretty sweet one!

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Ah true, there just isn't much value when the original eprom/maskrom were taken out from KoV considering how cheap they are to begin with. Either way I built Ketsui yesterday and transplanted the switch case for that one since it turns out DDP3 didn't need the switch. Might post pictures later, not sure yet depending on how big of a trainwreak it is as my helper isn't much of a help but I am probably tate-ing the Net City today if anyone was curious of the process involved.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

flyboi posted:

Ah true, there just isn't much value when the original eprom/maskrom were taken out from KoV considering how cheap they are to begin with. Either way I built Ketsui yesterday and transplanted the switch case for that one since it turns out DDP3 didn't need the switch. Might post pictures later, not sure yet depending on how big of a trainwreak it is as my helper isn't much of a help but I am probably tate-ing the Net City today if anyone was curious of the process involved.

Freaking nice! I'm jealous! I need so badly to get a candy cab and tate it when I do...

Also, I'm not sure the KoV actually had mask ROMs, it might have, but seeing as how they are Chinese (Taiwanese to be more specific) made, maybe they were always EPROMS! Maybe I'll bust mine open to take a look.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

XtraSmiley posted:

Freaking nice! I'm jealous! I need so badly to get a candy cab and tate it when I do...

Also, I'm not sure the KoV actually had mask ROMs, it might have, but seeing as how they are Chinese (Taiwanese to be more specific) made, maybe they were always EPROMS! Maybe I'll bust mine open to take a look.

I used the world conversion rom on my v103 CN version but here's the mask rom stored away

Operation tate my poo poo was a success! Of course there's always hiccups but anyways...

You really should pull these dumb things out where you have space to work because you need a lot of room. I've already started removing the control panel but you have to take the bezel, side rails and back off to get access to the wiring and mounting for the monitor. Also don't forget to put the levelers down and have the cabinet escape you while removing parts.

Here's the cabinet with everything removed down to the frame. You can see the screws to the mount on those large washers. First you need to un-cable the monitor from behind and make sure no wires are attached to the monitor from the cab as you can easily break a monitor being careless. Then undo the nuts on the mounting bolts and remove the large washer & plastic thing. Pull the monitor out, rotate it 90 degrees counter-clockwise, realize that there were also plastic stand-offs and yelp as they go rolling off.

Queue crawling around looking for the last one "I can't hold it!" says my helpless helper. I come over and help get the monitor adjusted so it's resting the chassis frame on the mounting bracket and continue my search. Oh hey guess what, the last one decided to stick to the back of the monitor. gently caress you monitor.

Put the stand-offs back on, rotate the monitor and shove the monitor in and screw it back on.

Last step before putting everything back together is to rotate the bezel inside the monitor cover and put it all back together

:toot:

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

That's pretty awesome!

I don't have a lot to add to this thread since my funds/space is limited for arcade stuff, but I just want to say I read and appreciate these effort posts.

If money/space wasn't an issue, I'd probably own 50 arcades. I'll own a Ghouls 'N Ghosts some day to go along with my Ghosts 'N Goblins, would also definitely like a candy cab that can swap jamma pcb's to go down that rabbit hole...

*Looks up Golden Axe · The Revenge of Death Adder pcb's and drools*

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

katkillad2 posted:

*Looks up Golden Axe · The Revenge of Death Adder pcb's and drools*

I have two of them, it's awesome, get a Supergun and join us...

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
That is not Monkey Ball :colbert:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

...! posted:

That is not Monkey Ball :colbert:

It was Monkey Ball before I tated it :pcgaming: the joy of control panels being so easy to swap out :retrogames:

And in project land I overhauled the freshly-tated monitor with a mame build!

Starting with the guts of the build, a JVS-PAC 2 (https://irkenlabs.com/jvs-pac2/introduction) which is a device I've had sitting around for probably a year now along with that PC chassis behind it meaning to build a Mame pc. I'm lazy so I didn't. What JVS-PAC 2 does is you plug it into the JVS of your cabinet and it will translate all the inputs including analog into keyboard/joysticks. Very handy if you want to throw mame in a JVS cab and not destroy the internal wiring!

Once Windows was all loaded up along with groovymame I began setting up crt emudriver and attract mode filtering. CRT emudriver allows this setup so that games will launch at their native refresh rate so you don't have weird vsync issues or just weird gameplay. Pretty sweet! Anyways these were the filters I setup for the cabinet. While it has a full romset it can only show vertical games. I have it setup in a way where if it detects that there is a usb key plugged in the machine will force itself to horizontal mode and change the filtering to reflect it. Sick.

Behold my finished theme, it was Simple Vertical although I added my own tweaks to it as the original looked too dark for my tastes. I've set it up so that left/right skip forward and backwards letters and holding button 1 and pressing left will bring up the filter menu. Inside mame you can push start+b1 to bring up the tab menu. I'm using this control panel specifically as it has the HOME button which I've repurposed to return to the game menu from mame. Coin/test/service all work as they would on a real cabinet so I'm really happy with the layout.

Been 3? months but my Taito stools came from Japan yesterday! Hooray no more lovely card table chairs!!!!!!!!!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
That looks so sick. I'm jealous as hell.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

New board arrived, anyone want to try and guess what it is?

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
You made it too easy by including the Konami build number code in the pic :nyd: also nice

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Very nice! I'm one of the few that prefer the first one over the TiT, but hey, I love me that music...

I also love the HAS, I'm a BIG fan. Nice set up!

What joystick are you using?

I just picked up TWO 36" Sony Wega TVs for free over the last month. They are HUGE and HEAVY, in fact, one broke my table (my fault really), fell on my HAS with Strikers 1945 plugged in and damaged the plastic, but HAS and PCB mostly fine.

Anyway, what's cool is I set one up vert, yes, a 220lb TV vert, and it's awesome. I'm looking around for some proper furniture set up right now...

Then I plugged in ESPGaluda 2... oh so nice...

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I’m using a hori real arcade pro 3 but the loving door for the cable compartment broke off.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Isn't that like the first thing that always happens with the storage compartment door?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Yep :(

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I'm in the Fort Myers area, and I've been going to this new arcade I found out about a couple of months ago when I poked my head into a comic con. It's packed with lots of 80-90's arcade cabinets and a bunch of those MAME cabs with upwards of 1,000 titles (lots of obscure and Japanese games, including a couple of Cave shmups). The hours are a little weird but it's a nice place to hang out for a while. The machines are all free play; you just pay an flat fee to get in for as long as you like.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Challenge issued:

https://twitter.com/thepulserifle/status/1215870308571217921?s=21

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

user "I would blow Dane Cook" told me to post in this thread, here's an arcade game

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Isn't that like the first thing that always happens with the storage compartment door?

I also have a HRAP 3 and mine's still on :smug:

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

d0s posted:

user "I would blow Dane Cook" told me to post in this thread, here's an arcade game

I also have a HRAP 3 and mine's still on :smug:

Spotted last night in Riverside

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

haha god drat, I've seen people put that rally livery on celicas before but doing it as an explicit callout to neo drift out and using a chevy shitbox is really bizarre

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

d0s posted:

haha god drat, I've seen people put that rally livery on celicas before but doing it as an explicit callout to neo drift out and using a chevy shitbox is really bizarre

riverside_california.txt

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

d0s posted:

California has more, and worse, rednecks than anywhere else I've ever lived and I've lived in both Georgia and TN

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

precision posted:

California has more, and worse, rednecks than anywhere else I've ever lived and I've lived in both Georgia and TN

They are a true spectacle. I live in Moreno Valley, Land of the Dirt People. I’m also less than a quarter-mile from the In-n-Out where Billy Mitchell himself declared it to be the worst In-n-Out parking lot in existence.

My lease is up in September and I would very much like to be anywhere else.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

here's a poem i wrote about PCB prices in 2020

[05:23PM] <dos> cock head https://www.ebay.com/itm/113806973344
[05:24PM] <dos> idiot https://www.ebay.com/itm/113829043982
[05:24PM] <dos> complete douche https://www.ebay.com/itm/174149987720
[05:25PM] <dos> fuckboy https://www.ebay.com/itm/114053926449
[05:26PM] <dos> aaaaaaghhrghrgh https://www.ebay.com/itm/174146980621

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

d0s posted:

here's a poem i wrote about PCB prices in 2020

[05:23PM] <dos> cock head https://www.ebay.com/itm/113806973344
[05:24PM] <dos> idiot https://www.ebay.com/itm/113829043982
[05:24PM] <dos> complete douche https://www.ebay.com/itm/174149987720
[05:25PM] <dos> fuckboy https://www.ebay.com/itm/114053926449
[05:26PM] <dos> aaaaaaghhrghrgh https://www.ebay.com/itm/174146980621

Yeah, that guy always puts his poo poo super high, usually 2-4x going rate, then will sell to you at 25% "off" and tell you it's a deal. I have no idea how people buy from him. I guess if you don't want to wait.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

XtraSmiley posted:

Yeah, that guy always puts his poo poo super high, usually 2-4x going rate, then will sell to you at 25% "off" and tell you it's a deal. I have no idea how people buy from him. I guess if you don't want to wait.

yeah he's been around forever except normally he just had mostly trash (and it was still overpriced) now he has a bunch of actually desirable games and you know some idiots are going to buy them and drive up the prices until basically every good game is cavebucks. it's infuriating because he has some stuff I've been looking for for years, pretty much the last few boards I need to never buy a PCB again

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

They are a true spectacle. I live in Moreno Valley, Land of the Dirt People. I’m also less than a quarter-mile from the In-n-Out where Billy Mitchell himself declared it to be the worst In-n-Out parking lot in existence.

My lease is up in September and I would very much like to be anywhere else.

Much like the rednecks in Michigan, they try so much harder because they're essentially choosing that lifestyle rather than just being born into it. I saw more cowboy hats and snakeskin boots in a single day than in decades of life in the actual South lmao

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

d0s posted:

yeah he's been around forever except normally he just had mostly trash (and it was still overpriced) now he has a bunch of actually desirable games and you know some idiots are going to buy them and drive up the prices until basically every good game is cavebucks. it's infuriating because he has some stuff I've been looking for for years, pretty much the last few boards I need to never buy a PCB again

Oh poo poo, I guess now you have to post your wants list...

I'll post mine if you post yours! :)

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Mine's pretty short :o:
Knights of Valour 2 PGM2
System 16 set
System 1 CPU board
Aime card reader w/ blast city cables
Taito spinner panel for blast city
ZN-2 games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

XtraSmiley posted:

Oh poo poo, I guess now you have to post your wants list...

I'll post mine if you post yours! :)

The stuff I linked up there plus a few $insane boards like battle bakraid and air gallet (I actually have something along these lines on the way to me thanks to a lucky opportunity), generally hard to find games like kiki kaikai, drift out 94, some other stuff. the multigame options for the more popular systems has really narrowed it down, that stuff is a huge blessing to this hobby. I'm starting to get into CPS1 multi, ST-V multi etc.

d0s fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 14, 2020