Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Google Docs certainly make my life easier.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Just want to say I literally have my PS4 plugged in to a computer monitor right now because my TV crapped out. It's kinda nice. Brings me back to my early XBox 360 days when I didn't have a good TV and bought the official XBox VGA Cable for it. It was actually awesome, the 360 had a huge range of resolutions it could output with that thing.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Dec 30, 2019

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I am still convinced that the most egregious sin of all from Google was shutting down Reader. For that, I will never forgive Google.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

ratbert90 posted:

I am still convinced that the most egregious sin of all from Google was shutting down Reader. For that, I will never forgive Google.

Same but Inbox.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

gschmidl posted:

Same but Inbox.

Same but employees who try to unionize.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I was talking about products, but yeah, this one is the worst.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

:hai:

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Same buttcoin employees who try to unionize.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I actually can't believe they're doing the rotation thing with the Pro subscription games.
https://twitter.com/GoogleStadia/status/1211693870427197440

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

njsykora posted:

I actually can't believe they're doing the rotation thing with the Pro subscription games.
https://twitter.com/GoogleStadia/status/1211693870427197440

Heh this went pretty quickly from "we'll do some free games sorta like PS+, it'll be around 1 a month I guess, but there's no hard plan" to "YOU GET 2 FREE GAMES EVERY MONTH ON THE MONTH, PLEASE STOP SAYING BAD THINGS ABOUT US."

Google's Stadia marketing is a trashfire and they had NO plan. What are they gonna do when they literally run out of games to offer for free?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
To be fair that's exactly how PS+ and Games With Gold free games work.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

American McGay posted:

To be fair that's exactly how PS+ and Games With Gold free games work.

Yeah, but with PS+ they've got a ton of games they can give away if they need to. Stadia will have given away their entire library by March or something.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

And of course there's still no word on how long Destiny: The Collection will continue to be free for subscribers, and how/if Stadia Base players will be allowed to play the free version.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
I’d bet the free version of destiny is not available when the free tier of stadia comes out. They’re not running a charity.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Google Stadia, like an gaming internet café but you have to Remote Desktop into it.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

leftist heap posted:

What if the Cloud but like... for something other than gaming

I guarantee that the 2017 macbook is not the bottleneck when using blender if they're on the level of "trying to learn". The donut tutorial isn't that demanding.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

quote:

We're in our unofficial paid beta now and as we know on r/stadia, it's awesome! What I'm excited for is the time when a non-stadian will be watching a game video on YouTube and a link will pop up that says, 'try it now on stadia'. They'll click it and instantly be playing a demo of the game they were watching on wtv crappy computer hardware that they have. That's when it'll take off like mad. And when those people realize they have the option to buy the game and play on any screen, no membership, no console required, a lot of them will. It's the only way that you can buy JUST the game and get the full experience. Thinking about buying the next gen console? Why not just buy the games you want instead and save yourself $400+?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Second time someone has brought up the 'ad that let's you play the game instantly' idea. Google will never do it is my theory.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
Ah yes, the argument that Stadia can find a niche as a demo delivery platform

"Let's pour money and time into creating a demo rather than finishing the game, then port it to Linux and Vulkan! That will surely help our sales num--"

quote:

...according to EEDAR and NPD research, releasing a demo may actually be detrimental to a game's success.

Zatkin demonstrated that on both Xbox 360 and PS3, games with only a trailer released were on average considerably more successful than those with a trailer and a demo, just a demo, or neither. On PS3, games with just a demo were less successful than games with neither or both.

Based on sales evidence, demos are more likely to help towards the end of a product's shelf life - which also gives developers more time to polished demo for eventual release.
https://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=18183

...!
Oct 5, 2003

quote:

Dude I literally made a YouTube video saying how stadia hate is ridiculous and as a gaming community we should be embracing change and competition from companies because it’s good for us as gamers and 80% comments are angry stadia haters getting triggered and telling me off.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Is that thing where you can share save states or jump into a game right where a streamer is live or did that idea quietly get shelved?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Detective No. 27 posted:

Is that thing where you can share save states or jump into a game right where a streamer is live or did that idea quietly get shelved?
The product is still in beta, and will be for the foreseeable future until it gets quietly cancelled in spring of 2021.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Well, in good news, Stadia finally won an award.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Ineffiable posted:

Second time someone has brought up the 'ad that let's you play the game instantly' idea. Google will never do it is my theory.

Also, think of the hardware cost. How would you make that profitable?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Detective No. 27 posted:

One of the retro consoles has video playbacks of all the games and you can jump in almost-seamlessly.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ineffiable posted:

They'll never do it because it's a terrible idea. If you show the demo to someone with lovely internet connection it looks bad, and you don't know what their control method is going to be.

One of the reasons they launched with the overpriced founders hardware was to avoid those types of problems. The bundle put a known controller in the hands of people who were gonna be the first users, and the cost got people to self-select for decent internet at home.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Also, think of the hardware cost. How would you make that profitable?

That part would be easy, just show ads based on however many servers are idle at the moment.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Detective No. 27 posted:

It is one of a large number of features supposedly coming in 2020.

Ineffiable posted:

Yeah I’d bet good money on it never ever happening.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Stadia can’t even suspend your game indefinitely like every other console can, something that should actually be even easier on their architecture.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

leftist heap posted:

Stadia can’t even suspend your game indefinitely like every other console can, something that should actually be even easier on their architecture.

Right like a quicky snapshot of your savestste..

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The whole "playable ads" thing is conceptually not a bad idea. I mean, when you get right down to it, that's exactly what a demo is, right? An advertisement for a game that you can play and then ideally like it so much you buy the full thing. So obviously there's a use for a thing like that. Not having to make a playable demo and just letting people play a snippet from the full release version would be pretty useful to developers, because making a demo is extra time spent on something tangential right when you are already at crunch time anyway.

It's just that currently, nothing about the whole is really technologically feasible.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

"Click a Stadia link on Youtube and immediately get dropped into a demo" is probably a more effective advertisement for Stadia than any of the "A busy father knowingly chuckles at his annoying family and begins to play Google Stadia on his phone" commercials these weirdos keep writing

Plus it'd be funny to see all these families getting overage charges because their five year old keeps playing Stadia demos

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Cardiovorax posted:

The whole "playable ads" thing is conceptually not a bad idea.

It's just that currently, nothing about the whole is really technologically feasible.

Stadians will love it all over again.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Klyith posted:

the cost got people to self-select for decent internet at home.

Everybody knows this part isn't true at all.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

quote:

OK, so I recently retired "yea me" and now my wife thinks i'm getting bored and she gives me all this poo poo to do.

Don't get me wrong, I love her to death, BUT I'M RETIRED DAMMIT poo poo. So anyway, I'm a Founder and I have it hooked up underneath the house in my workshop/ basement. But my dear sweet wife doesn't know.

So I came up with plan to find ways to get out doing crap. "NOT THAT I MIND" but I have needs too.

So here's what I do. My wife, "Bobo ,will you build me a new shelf and paint it real pretty. Me, OK but not right now I got some things I need to repair so the house doesn't fall apart.

I go down stairs turn on my Stadia and have my timer on next to my hammer. So when the timer goes off every 10- 15 minutes, I start whaling away at an old piece of wood laying on the ground, been doing now for over a month and works like a charm. OK, I'm not a bad man and I did build the shelf and painted it real pretty too. So there's that anyway.

Ps, I had to run a 75 ft Ethernet line from the upstairs to the basement while she was at the beauty shop. Man did I have to do some crazy stuff to hide it under the baseboards and drilling holes in floors. I screwed up my shoulder from over extending. The price we pay to have a little me time.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Stadia astroturfing is like the world's lamest creative writing prompt

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

That's an amazing amount of effort and how does stadia help his situation that he couldn't do just by having a ps4 slim in the basement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Stadia works better when you close the garage door and plug it into your running car