Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
this is more "crazy person with tech opinions" than the usual "tech person with crazy non-tech opinions" fodder for this thread, but i still think it fits.

pop quiz: which side has better text rendering?

according to this user on r/firefox the correct answer is the left one :psyduck: to the point that they go out of their way to use an unsupported version of Firefox from over 2 years ago because it has a bug that lets them force it to use that style of rendering.

quote:

It's called the brainwash effect, you are used to seeing blatantly unsmooth text so you can't deal with seeing smooth text. I guess high dpi displays don't look nice to you either. A proper monitor would follow exactly the sRGB curve, and the GDI rendering engine would take the inverse formula to anti-alias in linear RGB and give the best results.

I am NOT upgrading, it is not worth it. Why would I eyestrain?

Here is another example. https://i.imgur.com/dqhD1q4.png Note that below the enlarged samples, there's a sample of what that size would look like at a higher resolution. I used hacks to have the exact same outline in higher resolution. Take a look from a distance. The GDI sample is as close as it gets to the reference, while the DirectWrite sample is too thick and distorted.

edit: they're still going. this is some legit timecube poo poo:

quote:

If you are used to seeing distorted text, you are going to have problems seeing smooth text. That's how it works. DirectWrite is a curse. DirectWrite is awful and will forever haunt me for life. It's one of the most overrated things on Earth.

[...]

I have viewed the sample image on several screens in pixel perfect size. Now this is where it gets controversial and subjective. I prefer classic GDI rendering, it is much smoother than DirectWrite. On every display. It actually looks like text, it actually resembles the font behind the render. DirectWrite is way too dark, it doesn't truly look like the actual font. But already we are seeing the problem. Now this is where it gets controversial and subjective.. controversial and subjective.. subjective.. The people who prefer text that's actually text are absolutely devastated by DirectWrite.

(emphasis theirs)

it's a good thing I don't know what "actual text" looks like because it's apparently enough to break my brain.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Dec 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

"unrealistically thicker" is a hell of a phrase about text

firefox just kinda gathers these people, i was on a bug report years ago where someone paid a professional developer $600 dollars to implement "preserve modified date on downloads" then got mad when the devs still wouldn't accept it, as they'd already told him

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Have a real Poe's Law situation here. Can't tell if this guy is on to something, or is the local crazy dude wandered around the shopping center with a laptop with like 12 Pringles cans glued to it, yelling at coffee shop clerks and city employees about "rogue attack signal".

cwingrav 10 hours ago [-]

I need help with something much more nefarious. I know of a location in a downtown area where someone has set up a malicious wifi "thing". I'm guessing the PWNAGOTCHI since the device changes patterns and comes and goes? It has learned how to use deauth to do man-in-the-middle attacks and absolutely closed down wifi in a half block radius by sending RTC packets of 12 second wait times and also waiting for others to send RTC packets and transmitting over them. Businesses close to it have no wifi. As you move away, wifi starts to improve. And no, it's not flooded as there is plenty of open air time not being used by the many devices there.
Steps taken: - Have talked to multiple business owners nearby and they can't figure out why their wifi won't work. - Comcast Business is worthless and weeks of calls by business owners and multiple tickets have led to nothing. - Have talked to the mayor of the town and their tech guy agrees something is wrong. - A "smart guy" that works for the government doing security did a quick scan and said it was because one wifi was on a channel between 1 and 6 so the overlap was causing the problem... that wasn't it. - Have approached university researchers to see if their students would be interested in looking at/for it. No response. - Have walked with laptop watching signal strength and know roughly which building it is coming from.

From what I understand, there is NOTHING one can do to attack it, other than sending massive RF interference, which would be a crime in itself.

How the heck does one get rid of this thing? Any suggestions?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
they’re a crazy person either way

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

inb4 it's some jackass that built a jammer in their apartment

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Mr.Radar posted:

this is more "crazy person with tech opinions" than the usual "tech person with crazy non-tech opinions" fodder for this thread, but i still think it fits.

pop quiz: which side has better text rendering?

according to this user on r/firefox the correct answer is the left one :psyduck: to the point that they go out of their way to use an unsupported version of Firefox from over 2 years ago because it has a bug that lets them force it to use that style of rendering.

edit: they're still going. this is some legit timecube poo poo:

(emphasis theirs)

it's a good thing I don't know what "actual text" looks like because it's apparently enough to break my brain.

this type of crazy person is actually super prevalent and you can find them everywhere, I don't know why

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Who wants to read an HN thread on homelessness? Of course you do!

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=21900429

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Maximo Roboto posted:

Who wants to read an HN thread on homelessness? Of course you do!

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=21900429

quote:

thrwaway69 1 hour ago [-]

I don't have a magic solution but I would like to add few thoughts:

1. Homeless people destroy environment and don't practice sanitation on the same level (non homeless folks) That imo is true and we shouldn't ignore it. But why? I have a few explanation depending on the place so it's not an apply all hammer, alcohol & drug abuse/mental illness are one of the reasons why there are homeless in big rich cities (combined with other) but wouldn't that cause itself will lead to people caring less about environment and things that don't directly affect them? When was the last time you were depressed and wanted to hole up in your bed doing nothing? Consider that and with not a good overall health condition, lacking empathy (of course why would they for the society that failed them), poverty mindset and resource constraints with no hope for a brighter future. It's a self destructive mindset.

Oh to make it more suitable for HN in analogy, think of those anti homeless spikes as walled garden of the big companies. Imessage? Yeah, you can't connect with your friends anymore after you can't afford an iPhone. Maybe you contributed to society in tax and other spheres and now you can't anymore, you don't deserve whatever crumbles are left there.

Of course I am exaggerating.

2. Throw money at them and it will go away. I hope that worked, I really do but that doesn't solve any of the problems. US puts a lot of money more than countries with free healthcare (controlled for population but not size) yet people aren't getting it. The system is dysfunctional or benefits some people more than others due to lack of awareness, discrimination (advertising towards one gender or race is an example), collective empathy, and tendency to put pressure on your career/home/bank as an identity.

Maybe those homeless shelters are far away. I don't know but why blame anyone without any evidence or data on those things.

hn: anti homeless spikes are like imessage

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

uncurable mlady posted:

don't practice sanitation on the same level (non homeless folks) That imo is true and we shouldn't ignore it. But why?

people without regular access to showers don't take a lot of showers. what could cause this? and how could it be fixed with an app?

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

josh04 posted:

firefox just kinda gathers these people, i was on a bug report years ago where someone paid a professional developer $600 dollars to implement "preserve modified date on downloads" then got mad when the devs still wouldn't accept it, as they'd already told him

lol @ that bug report. BTW that guy hired two devs, not just one

in the most recent update the same guy, in the middle of getting mad (https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=178506#c255) wrote:

quote:

I do not know if my bad user experience with Firefox on desktop platforms is because I still use Intel Core 2 era desktop computers in 2019

hmm

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

people without regular access to showers don't take a lot of showers. what could cause this? and how could it be fixed with an app?

preferably an app that doesn't work on obamaphones, because gently caress those deadbeats

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

i posted this when i thought this person was done, but they apparently spent another day asking how to break their browser and berating people who tell them it's not possible/ask why they would want to. here are the highlights:

• they posted this screenshot with their "preferred" font rendering of a reddit post (it's eye-searingly ugly)
  • they got caught editing wikipedia to inject their nonsense about how directwrite is "broken" to "prove" their point to another commenter
  • they refused to answer any and all questions about what type of monitor they were using; other posters dug out that this person is using a ~10 year old laptop with a 1366x768 TN panel
  • they started blocking anyone who posted anything other than direct instructions on how to do what they want (which is literally impossible)
  • someone suggested they switch to the Pale Moon fork of Firefox which apparently does somewhat support this insane thing, and that's apparently not good enough either :psyduck:

they seem to be done now, though.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Dec 30, 2019

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
That seems like a very specific type of brain sickness

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Mr.Radar posted:

i posted this when i thought this person was done, but they apparently spent another day asking how to break their browser and berating people who tell them it's not possible/ask why they would want to. here are the highlights:

• they posted this screenshot with their "preferred" font rendering of a reddit post (it's eye-searingly ugly)
  • they got caught editing wikipedia to inject their nonsense about how directwrite is "broken" to "prove" their point to another commenter
  • they refused to answer any and all questions about what type of monitor they were using; other posters dug out that this person is using a ~10 year old laptop with a 1366x768 TN panel
  • they started blocking anyone who posted anything other than direct instructions on how to do what they want (which is literally impossible)
  • someone suggested they switch to the Pale Moon fork of Firefox which apparently does somewhat support this insane thing, and that's apparently not good enough either :psyduck:

they seem to be done now, though.

amazing

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Vol 1 of "programmers could do any other job because they are so smart" included running a news room trivially with zero experience. Vol 2 now includes medical doctor, lawyer and businessman. This is in response to saying most dev jobs are basic glue code and don't deserve the inflated egos of their authors.

alexandercrohde 14 hours ago | parent | favorite | on: Programmers Should Plan for Lower Pay?

Most doctors are doing simple glue stuff and think they're hot poo poo. You think I couldn't diagnose that cold, or a machine?

Most lawyers are doing simple glue stuff and think they're hot poo poo. You think I couldn't refer that case to another law firm, or a machine?

Most businessmen are doing simple glue stuff and think they're hot poo poo. You think I couldn't randomly guess at the market, but not outperform it, nor a machine?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

compuserved posted:

lol @ that bug report. BTW that guy hired two devs, not just one

in the most recent update the same guy, in the middle of getting mad (https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=178506#c255) wrote:

i want to be sympathetic because preserving the server's modification time seems like probably the right thing, but lol at the guy's antics

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
seeing an actual doctor is overkill for the vast majority of checkups/visits, which is why those things are already usually handled by nurses, and a doctor maybe waves at you if you’re old and insist on it

a programmer could do a great job of diagnosing a cold when that’s all the patient has. so could a donut with “you have a cold” written on it in sprinkles. the point of seeing an actual medical practitioner is that occasionally it’s not the correct diagnosis

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Xik posted:

Vol 1 of "programmers could do any other job because they are so smart" included running a news room trivially with zero experience. Vol 2 now includes medical doctor, lawyer and businessman. This is in response to saying most dev jobs are basic glue code and don't deserve the inflated egos of their authors.

alexandercrohde 14 hours ago | parent | favorite | on: Programmers Should Plan for Lower Pay?

Most doctors are doing simple glue stuff and think they're hot poo poo. You think I couldn't diagnose that cold, or a machine?

Most lawyers are doing simple glue stuff and think they're hot poo poo. You think I couldn't refer that case to another law firm, or a machine?

Most businessmen are doing simple glue stuff and think they're hot poo poo. You think I couldn't randomly guess at the market, but not outperform it, nor a machine?

love to elide the fact that those three professions actually have liability as opposed to software "engineering"

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

rjmccall posted:

a programmer could do a great job of diagnosing a cold when that’s all the patient has. so could a donut with “you have a cold” written on it in sprinkles. the point of seeing an actual medical practitioner is that occasionally it’s not the correct diagnosis

You mean there’s no OTA update for fixing Ebola?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

doctors have to interact with other human beings so programmers would make terrible doctors

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Jose Valasquez posted:

doctors have to interact with other human beings so programmers would make terrible doctors

I used to run a product team making software for doctors. They’re a population at least as bad in general as programmers. Their nurses often pretty much make them tolerable.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

klafbang posted:

You mean there’s no OTA update for fixing Ebola?

if you think about it, ebola is itself an ota update

mystes
May 31, 2006

g42gregory 6 hours ago

An honest question: How does this compare to the group-think in the climate change/global warming research? Are we similarly rejecting funding to any research that does not fit into the common consensus? The fact that we call some people "climate change deniers" tells me that we have an unhealthy dynamics going on there. Will it take 30 years to get to the same point?

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

AFashionableHat posted:

I used to run a product team making software for doctors. They’re a population at least as bad in general as programmers. Their nurses often pretty much make them tolerable.

its this. doctors have the same level of social graces

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Xik posted:

Is this some type of philosophical method where you prove the point by engaging in the exact behavior you’re arguing about?

mystes posted:

g42gregory 6 hours ago

An honest question: How does this compare to the group-think in the climate change/global warming research? Are we similarly rejecting funding to any research that does not fit into the common consensus? The fact that we call some people "climate change deniers" tells me that we have an unhealthy dynamics going on there. Will it take 30 years to get to the same point?

Yess, there’s no opposition funding at all, a bunch of paupers on that side of things

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
so, i’m not going to scour hn to find that doctor/lawyer post, but: on second read, that post is almost certainly an argument by absurd analogy, i.e. it is trying to make the point that it is silly to think that trained programmers are unnecessary just because some of what they do is rote. it’s just in the context of hn that it’s confusable for “actually these other professions are trivial”

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

curse you poes law

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

fritz posted:

if you think about it, ebola is itself an ota update

like ios13 or windows 10

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Among the HN labor aristocracy, syndicalists are starting to outnumber libertarians

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=21923085

mystes
May 31, 2006

Maximo Roboto posted:

Among the HN labor aristocracy, syndicalists are starting to outnumber libertarians

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=21923085
Good, but I feel like this might also be some sort of negative economic indicator.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

By labor aristocracy I meant specifically HN posters who are presumably engineers, not the cafeteria workers the OP is about. There does seem to be greater pro-union/anti-management/anti-VC sentiment on that site these days

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Rapzid 1 day ago | parent | favorite | on: Write Junior Code

"Junior" might as well be an IQ classification.. How many people change their IQ?
The reality is something nobody really talks about.. When a company doesn't want to hire a "junior" it doesn't mean they don't want to hire somebody without X amount of experience in a tech stack or without X amount of experience in the industry.. They don't want to hire people bellow a certain aptitude.
Many "juniors" will never be "senior". Even if they get the title and salary. We all know "seniors" in salary and title only.
Some people are inexperienced "seniors" year one.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

lainga 5 hours ago [-]

I don't agree with what greatscott404 says, but I will defend to the karma-death their right to say it without getting grey'd out.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

fritz posted:

Rapzid 1 day ago | parent | favorite | on: Write Junior Code

"Junior" might as well be an IQ classification.. How many people change their IQ?
The reality is something nobody really talks about.. When a company doesn't want to hire a "junior" it doesn't mean they don't want to hire somebody without X amount of experience in a tech stack or without X amount of experience in the industry.. They don't want to hire people bellow a certain aptitude.
Many "juniors" will never be "senior". Even if they get the title and salary. We all know "seniors" in salary and title only.
Some people are inexperienced "seniors" year one.

this was 100% me 1 year out of college

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

fritz posted:

lainga 5 hours ago [-]

I don't agree with what greatscott404 says, but I will defend to the karma-death their right to say it without getting grey'd out.

greatscott404 18 hours ago | parent | flag | favorite | on: Thousands of Google’s cafeteria workers have union...

The only reason labor unions are legal is that certain unions have outsized political clout, in a perfect world labor unions would be illegal under antitrust laws as forcing companies to pay workers more than what a free market dictates inevitably increases prices.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
in a perfect world executive bonuses would be illegal under antitrust laws as allowing companies to pay management more than what a free market dictates inevitably increases prices

animist
Aug 28, 2018
my grandparents are pathogists. they always joke about how good their bedside manner is

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

for many users, the lipstick IS the pig.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Love the typical HN commenters stumbling over each other to add their totally unique insight on Amazon cracking down on employees criticizing them in public as actually OK because it’s Against Company Policy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011