Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm 3/4 through YoI, should finish everything this weekend

I've been having fun following the show's thread from back when it first aired lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Everything Burrito posted:

I've been having fun following the show's thread from back when it first aired lol

I had fun doing that with the Gurren Lagann thread back in 2010-11. The reactions were pretty good.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Now that I have come back after falling on my sword I am stronger than ever before

and ill never toxx again

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

My interim update I suppose: CazaBru is at 18/26 so I see no issue with finishing in time, especially now that the episodic focus seems to have fallen away (thank god!). GGP watch continues to go smoothly, moreso since turning it into a weekly simulstream. Patlabor was finished a bit ago so I'll probably write up the OVA series and first movie for the heck of it, G Gundam will be ongoing into next year so that concludes any 2019 GGP content I have.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

littleorv posted:

Now that I have come back after falling on my sword I am stronger than ever before

and ill never toxx again
You should toxx to that

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

littleorv posted:

and ill never toxx again

Coward

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Rakugo S2 finished! That was a really good watch. Y'know what, I think I have time to do Inou Battle before the end of the year. Let's do it.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Welp, Inou Battle finished. Pretty standard high school harem romcom with a twist, but Trigger's physical comedy speciality really helped, and it had some pretty good moments.

My girl Mirei got shafted in screentime though :negative:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Got to episode 31 of gundam turn A, havent played fate hollow ataraxia.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I forgot about this thread and the shows I was supposed to watch so do what you must. :negative:

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Kyousougiga and Sangatsu no Lion done, just need to finish season 2 of Chihayafuru and I'm in the clear.

Kyousougiga was a very pretty show, with a lot of visual flare and a good core theme about family. The plot itself wasn't all that interesting though, and a lot of stuff happens 'just because', so there's no real feeling of tension for anything occurring in the back half, and all the resolutions being deus ex machinas because a bunch of them are gods/demi-gods felt really anti-climactic and unearned. I still enjoyed it overall, but not as much as I was expecting to, which was a bit of a bummer. Overall I'd give it a 6-7/10, depending on how I'm feeling.

Sangatsu no Lion starts off pretty strong, even if the slow pace makes the show drag at points. The feelings the main character Rei deals with were pretty relatable to me, both in s1 and s2, and seeing him grow as a person bit by bit was a wonderful character arc that really spoke to me. There's a lot of obvious shaft flare in this show, with a lot of the girls doing the shaft neck tilt and getting monogatari-esque, high energy chibi bits, usually with Hinata and Rei. The show does suffer though from adapting an ongoing Manga-s2 ends in a spot that, while it works as an ending for the show, feels wanting for a greater resolution. Also Rei's sister, who is a very important character in the first season, completely falls by the wayside after the first couple of episodes of s2, so there is no resolution to her arc with Rei or Gotou, which felt extremely unsatisfying. Overall I'd still rate the show an 8/10 though, and might check out the manga in the future.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Any challenges not recorded as complete by 1200 PST on Wednesday 1st January will be regarded as having failed

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Updated

quote:

Namtab: Finish an arbitrary amount of anime. Finish Fate Stay/Night (Outcome: Failed to watch enough anime, ate my toxx - will probably finish the VN though)

The colonel: Finish Fate Hollow Ataraxia (Outcome: Completed)

Everythingwasbees: Finish Vanguard, start vanguard G. Post 2 3D models they are happy with. Finish the symphogears (Outcome: Proposed an alternative in April, failed to achieve goal, 12 days remaining on probation)

Davincie: Watch 5-10 shows other people recommend (Outcome: Completed)

Gorfzaplan: Finish a season of Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, Euphonium, Land of the Lustrous, Real Drive, 6 Kara no kyoukai movies, also finish kaiji (Outcome: 4 eps of euphonium left)

The Mod: Finish the 8/9 anims on his crunchyroll queue (Outcome: watched everything except kamisama kiss which i guess he dropped. )

Droyer: Finish the brave shows and as much of the GGG novel as has been translated (outcome: Completed)

Disx3: 1-ALL Ketsui (Outcome: Post in august indicated that it had been failed. Has yet to eat toxxequences)

Everything Burrito: Watch Yuri on Ice and the Classmates movie (Outcome: 3/4 through yuri on ice)

Anohito: Watch at least one cour of anime from sometime before the current season every week (outcome: Ongoing)

Lunar Detritus: Watch the top 5 shows in AOTY 2018 that they hadn't already seen. (outcome: Forgot the resolution, looks set to fail)

erg: Watch Gintama (TV), 3 gundam movies, D-Frag, Samurai Flamenco, Play the story of 5 JRPGs. (Outcome: 2 seasons of gintama left, 3 maps is disgaea 4, idk how much polsmon sword)

Sefai: Watch all Turn A Gundam (TV), Play Fate Hollow Ataraxia (Outcome: Watched 31 eps of turn A gundam.)

Julias: Watch Chihayafuru seasons 1-2, March goes on Like a Lion seasons 1-2, Sabagebu, Yuruyuri seasons 1-3, Kyousougiga (TV) (Outcome: just chihayafuru remains)

Ibblebibble: Finish Ninja Slayer, Inou Battle, Railgun S2, AssClass, Fujiko Mina, March Lion, Rakugo, NagiAsu (Outcome: Dropped March Lion and NagiAsu so we'll need a judgement call. Has at this point watched everything else)

Chiasaur: Watch TTGL and Eva (Outcome: Completed)

Yes Cantaloupe: Scanlate a douj for their fave non LL idols (7 of them), also beat BoTW and an atelier game. Watch vifam(Outcome: ongoing - done the doujs, behind on games, still watching vifam)

Lorv: Watch 10 suggested anims (Outcome: Failed, ate toxx ban)

Sinky: Watch Card Captor Sakura, 1 season of Symphogear (Outcome: Ongoing, finished Symphogear)

Dogsicle: Watch 6 pre-picked shows and a futher 6 or 9 things. Watch along with GGP. (Outcome: Has a bit of El Cazador de ld Bruja left)

Squark: Watch 10 anime (Outcome: Looks like there's 3 left)

El dorito: 3 ep test their Crunchyroll backlog (Outcome: No further posts)

Foxhound: Keep up with Jojo, Keep up with MHA manga, Keep up with The ancient Magus' bride, Finish 5 volumes of Oregairu, 5 volumes of Konosuba, Finish Nier Automata, Finish main plot of Dragon's crown, Finish main story of Ni No Kuni 2, Read more Dredd. (Outcome: No further posts)

Srice: Read 6 books (Outcome: Read 1 book)

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I finished Gintama (TV), really ended up loving it and all the characters. Having 300+ eps means there's some stinker arcs, but it's got some good running gags and that many eps gives it plenty of room to try out different character pairings. It's at its weakest when it tries to do heavy serious action imo, which is unfortunately the last like quarter of the anime, but Silver Soul arc (the last one) has done the best of the long running arcs of pacing out jokes and serious moments.

JRPG status:
Dragon Quest XI: DONE
Pokemon X: DONE
Disgaea 5: DONE
Disgaea 4: 3 maps left
Pokemon Sword: 7/8 badges

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

code:
New Shows
1. Wake Up, Girls! {COMPLETE}
2. The Hakkenden {COMPLETE}
3. Bodacious Space Pirates {COMPLETE}
4. Red Garden {COMPLETE}
5. Higurashi no Naku Koro ni {COMPLETE}
6. NHK ni Youkoso {COMPLETE}

Shows Already Had / GGP Watchalong
1. Witch Hunter Robin {COMPLETE}
2. Gilgamesh {COMPLETE}
3. Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory {COMPLETE}
4. Real Drive {COMPLETE}
5. Victory Gundam {COMPLETE}
6. SDF Macross {COMPLETE}
7. Patlabor - The Early Days {COMPLETE}
8. El Cazador de la Bruja {COMPLETE}

Overall Goal Progress - {COMPLETE}
Patlabor - Hmm...I thought I might have more to say on rewatching this but apparently not. It's still a v solid OVA series, not as action heavy or intricately animated as I remembered (that's in the movie) but the focus being primarily on bombast and comedy carry it well, especially when hitting that finale two-parter that just kind of fizzles out when it comes to establishing a semi-serious villain. And as fun as the bonus episode is, there is definitely something a bit off to it, the different staff maybe weren't quite on the same page when it came to writing Gotou or Asuma. Concluded the OVA rewatch by starting the movies, and boy Patlabor movie 1 remains the Definitive Patlabor Thing. The OVA tone is preserved here while tying all the loose ends from it into an intriguing plot that fits more in the cop mold than the OVA's kaiju and scooby doo antics. It has the intense animation and direction I associate most strongly with the series and the music really gets to take a bigger part in things too.

El Cazador de la Bruja - CazaBru is the Nadie and Ellis show. With modest production value and a majority of the episodes being taken up by just-ok episodic adventures, the joy of this series is in the deepening relationship between the two, and the various antics/behavioral tics airheaded Ellis goes through. As the first "arc" concludes and the various characters shuffle roles before the finale, there's also a nice familial aspect as Ricardo, Lirio, and even Blue-Eyes become more directly supportive of/present with the lead pair. The overarching plot stuff isn't anything special either, but it does some good testing of the central relationship so you come out the other side really invested in it. Strong VA performances from Nadie/Ellis and an awesome Kajiura soundtrack are additional hooks. Two demerits for the annoying and awful comedy transvestite characters who take up like 5 eps at the beginning and then return with additional fat jokes for the otherwise excellent epilogue finale.

Not one I'd rush to recommend but still like a 6/10 for competent execution and a handful of fun episodic stuff.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Namtab posted:

Sinky: Watch Card Captor Sakura, 1 season of Symphogear (Outcome: Ongoing, finished Symphogear)

I finished Cardcaptor Sakura over christmas.
It's: Good

I doubt I'll be watching any more 70ep series anytime soon though :sweatdrop:

Was Clear Card worth watching?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Clear Card is great in that it still retains the feel of the first anime only with more modern visuals, but is upsetting because it ends on a cliffhanger ending that you can't even switch to the manga to resolve, because it also diverged from the manga

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

not gonna lie... haven't really been watching too much anime lately due to other obligations and will continue to do so until the end of the year

I have some insane ideas for tracking my progress without cluttering the thread... it'll be great

I would have banned myself ages ago but I'm part of a few secret santas and need to see them through to the end so please do not ban or probe me just yet. I'll take my licks but not at someone else's expense.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yuri on Ice: COMPLETE :toot:

So before YoI aired, I was super hype for it just on the basis of it looking like a really well-animated sports show focusing on an unusual sport. Like I would pull up the PV and watch it repeatedly because it looked so cool. Unfortunately I didn't get to watch it as it aired because some poo poo happened IRL and I didn't have time to watch anything (and if I did have time I wasn't in the mood to appreciate something that I had really been looking forward to). So it got set aside. I bought the blu-ray set when it came out but was still sort of "saving" it for the perfect viewing mood or something. So I'd probably still be saving it like a dumbass if I hadn't toxxed on it.

It was interesting reading the thread as I went through the show, since I'm now watching it from the perspective of knowing about the big moment but the folks who were watching it live had no idea. There was so much trepidation -- will they really go there, has all this build-up just been a big tease, etc. and then the reactions when it actually happened :unsmith: The show still held a little surprise for me, because I'd been pretty diligent about not spoiling it for myself, so while I knew "that moment" did happen I didn't know where in the show it occurred so I'd been thinking this whole time it was kind of a big finale thing so when it happened and then there was still half a show left I was like wow I didn't expect that.

Overall I still think it is a very strong sports show; I liked that Yuri wasn't just some beginner who miraculously pulls a win out of his rear end but is a guy who is talented, works hard, and was basically sabotaging himself through lack of confidence. A lot of sports shows are focused around team sports so teamwork is a big theme, but with skating being more of a solo sport that isn't present as much, but forging connections to his competitors and supporters still hit that note. I think maybe I had more stuff to say about it but w/e I feel like at this point the show has been fairly thoroughly debated, it's going up in my favorites, and I'm looking forward to the movie if they'll ever finish the drat thing.

Finally, I can catch up on 3 years of fanart and doujins

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Finished watching Planet With for this last week's cour. My toxx is complete, with minimal loophole fuckery.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

In the end, i finished fate stay night with all the endings, all the dojos. It was a good experience

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Watched the Classmates movie tonight. While I really loved seeing it animated and it's a gorgeous movie (and I can finally recommend it without the caveat of not having watched it myself) it was a little hard to stay focused just because I've read the manga three? four? times and pretty much know the story by heart at this point.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I finished Eupho. If you've seen it you know why it's good. If you haven't you should watch it and find out

TOXX COMPLETE

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
did you watch liz

liz a good movie

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Strange Quark posted:

1. Michiko e Hatchin | 22 eps | Knorth | Started: [2019-01-12] | Finished: [2019-01-21]
  2. Seirei no Moribito | 26 eps | Lemon-Lime | Started: [2019-01-22] | Finished: [2019-01-31]
  3. Tsuritama | 12 eps | Davincie | Started: [2019-02-12] | Finished: [2019-02-28]
  4. Ring ni Kakero | 12 eps | GorfZaplen | Started: [2019-03-07] | Finished: [2019-03-24]
  5. Gundam Reconguista in G | 26 eps | everythingwasbees | Started: [2019-04-02] | Finished: [2019-04-30]
  6. Kekkaishi | 52 eps | Dogsicle | Started: [2019-05-01] | Finished: [2019-05-28]
  7. R.O.D. OVA | | 3 eps | Nipponophile | Started: [2019-05-30] | Finished: [2019-05-30]
  8. Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans | 25 eps | chiasaur11 | Started: [2019-08-20] | Finished: [2019-09-10]
  9. Princess Tutu | 26 eps | Erg | Started: [2019-09-26] | Finished: [2019-10-11]
  10. Fist of the North Star | 109 eps | Smoking Crow | Started: [2019-10-11] | Finished: [2019-12-29]

Toxx done. I'll do writeups tomorrow or something.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Namtab posted:

It's time to review this year's toxxes (nobody entered a non-toxx resolution)

You have until the end of the year

Yeah I'm not gonna make it. Half forgot I made the toxx until like November and by then it was way too late to finish. Let the record state that I went down without any kicking or screaming.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Foxhound posted:

Yeah I'm not gonna make it. Half forgot I made the toxx until like November and by then it was way too late to finish. Let the record state that I went down without any kicking or screaming.

Do not go gently into that good night. rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Strike me down as well. There's no way i can finish hollow ataraxia before new years

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The Colonel posted:

did you watch liz

liz a good movie

By "finished Eupho" I mean I finished the first season, which is what the toxx was for. I'm going to watch the rest of the Euphoverse next year

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

GorfZaplen posted:

By "finished Eupho" I mean I finished the first season, which is what the toxx was for. I'm going to watch the rest of the Euphoverse next year

enjoy, s2 is cool and liz is one of the best movies of all time

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
・Doujs: done! this toxx forced me to branch out more from just doing LL doujs, which I enjoyed, though I think I'm gonna be more laid back this next year and just TL stuff as I feel like it
・Vifam: 8 eps left (I forgot my tablet with the eps when I visited relatives :negative:). I'm enjoying it a lot!
・Atelier Escha & Logy: finished! I like it a lot and look forward to playing more atelier games in the future, but drat it was longer than I expected, based on my large sample size of just Ayesha.
・BotW: untouched this year :negative:

I'd be rushing to finish, but I'm prioritizing doujs for Dia's birthday (the 1st). I've ambitions to pivot to BotW after the day but before school starts back up, but that's of course after the deadline, so unless the powers that be care to give me a week to finish up, I'm afraid I've been defeated. I request a stay of execution until the latter half of the 1st, so that I can post about the doujs and the new year's idol stream.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I forgot to keep updating but I did keep reading books relating to anime and managed to read as many as I said I would.

2. Manga in Theory and Practice: The Craft of Creating Manga by Hirohiko Araki - For me personally there was more value in learning about Araki's thought process when writing and drawing in his works specifically than what he had to say about storytelling in general (not that those parts were bad either, mind you).

3 & 4. Penguin Highway & The Night is Short, Walk on Girl by Tomihiko Morimi - I watched Penguin Highway after reading the book and vice-versa for The Night is Short, Walk on Girl. In both instances I vastly preferred the anime adaptions and they were both pretty accurate to the source material. I'm forced to conclude that Morimi is real good at coming up with a foundation that is best suited to be adapted to other mediums which is hardly the worst thing (and it's not like the books were bad either, just underwhelming in comparison to the movies).

5. Perfect Blue: Complete Metamorphosis by Yoshikazu Takeuchi - Perfect Blue the movie is one of the greatest anime movies out there. It bears almost no resemblance to the book. Think of any scene from the movie. Unless you thought of the scene in which the protagonist gets a creepy phone call, it's not in the book. Mima is stalked by a psychotic fan who, unlike the more grounded violence of the movie, is practically a Terminator in how much punishment he can take. Culminating in him relentlessly chasing Mima even after all his skin is stripped off (which he does to himself because he's just so dang crazy he wants to replace his skin with her skin, you see) and he finally dies when he gets shredded to pieces by falling right into an industrial fan.

As an aside, there's a rape scene in the book that involves the stalker raping and then skinning an idol who's trying to ruin Mima's career. I couldn't help but think of how the movie has an acted rape scene that you know is being filmed for a tv show before it happens but it's still intense and uncomfortable to watch. Meanwhile in the book not only is the rape and subsequent murder over the top, it also happens to an intentionally unlikable character; an idol that hates Mima so much that she frequently sleeps with men to try to get dirt that will ruin her career and that hate is all there is to her character. That's a lot to unravel, but I sure couldn't take that part seriously!

It was an interesting read to see how much the movie diverged from the source material, but it mainly served to make me real glad that Satoshi Kon and the rest of the folks working on the movie did their own thing. An accurate adaption would have the same staying power as, say, your average violent & trashy OVA from the 90s.

6. From Truant to Anime Screenwriter: My Path to “Anohana” and “The Anthem of the Heart” by Mari Okada - Reread it after watching O Maidens in Your Savage Season. I like to say that Mari Okada is powerful. And it's not just because of some of the shows she has written but it's also because her life has contained some wild stuff like how her earliest writing gigs were for porn and so she used a combination of old erotica literature and Saint Seiya yaoi as references, or how she would test out boyfriends by "accidentally" leaving the door open while taking a dump and see how they reacted. If you don't want to read her autobiography after hearing that then you are weak.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Finally finished Chihayafuru s2, and with that my toxx is completed. For some reason, it's taken nearly 3 years to complete, with me stopping multiple times, but once I finally gained momentum I was able to binge the show. It's a very fun, intense, and sometimes emotional show, but I'm having a lot of fun watching it and will continue to watch s3 soon.

Happy New Year everyone:toot:

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I finished Pokemon Sword and I've been waiting 2 hours for my Vita to recharge after dying lol. Did NOT expect Disgaea to be the part that came down to the wire, but it's another 15 hours until official cutoff so w/e

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Erg posted:

I finished Pokemon Sword and I've been waiting 2 hours for my Vita to recharge after dying lol. Did NOT expect Disgaea to be the part that came down to the wire, but it's another 15 hours until official cutoff so w/e

I did

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Finished Kamisama Kiss on Monday. Will probably make a good post about that. Finished my toxx.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Your foresight continues to astound

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Squark's trained in the way of the cards.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I hit the credits for D4 so I’m calling this done and dusted with 5 hours to go :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Congratulations Erg.