Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Earth Table posted:

Went to a screening last night of Recorder: The Marion Stokes Project at the Metrograph in NYC. In summary, a left-wing activist from Philadelphia recorded recorded 24/7 television, mostly news, from 1979 till her death in 2012. Her tapes ended up with the internet archived and are being uploaded and made both viewable and searchable.

Honestly, a fantastic documentary about our relationship with media and how news shapes public opinion. Lots of fascinating archival footage. Marion Stokes was way ahead of her time. Highly recommended if and when it's available VOD or on a streaming platform.

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=recorder+the+marion+stokes+project

Someone is gonna find some incredibly clips in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Zesty Mordant posted:

This isn't really a singular 'documentary' per se but if you like that sort of thing, Seth from the UYD podcast compiled a bunch of clips from 80s/90s/2000s tv into short "episodes" called Seth Clips in 25 volumes. They each kinda loosely have a 'theme' but it's mostly a kinda anxious jumble of images that, removed from all context, are just indescribably strange: Snoop dogg morphs into an actual dog. a guy in venice walks up to a police car and speaks with a false echo voice. a terribly acted livelinks ad. a woman cries on a hair restoration infomercial. another, more explicit phone sex ad, even more laughably acted. heat-vision helicopter footage from early afghanistan war; soliders chuckle as they blow little person shaped blobs into glowing smithereens. a cereal ad featuring a forgotten z-lister. a clip from COPS where they arrest crossdressers in 90s hollywood. on and on.

i'm not doing them justice, they really are strange.

https://vimeo.com/sethscorner

This is the original meaning of "found footage" btw!

Earth Table posted:

Went to a screening last night of Recorder: The Marion Stokes Project at the Metrograph in NYC. In summary, a left-wing activist from Philadelphia recorded recorded 24/7 television, mostly news, from 1979 till her death in 2012. Her tapes ended up with the internet archived and are being uploaded and made both viewable and searchable.

Honestly, a fantastic documentary about our relationship with media and how news shapes public opinion. Lots of fascinating archival footage. Marion Stokes was way ahead of her time. Highly recommended if and when it's available VOD or on a streaming platform.

Trailer:

Oh poo poo, I need to get on this. I've been obsessed with this story for a minute now.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Earth Table posted:

Trailer:

The Oklahoma city bombing and 9/11 would be interesting because of how the news agencies reported certain things initially and then stopped talking about them at all. There isn't a lot of footage of this stuff, though.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

The Oklahoma city bombing and 9/11 would be interesting because of how the news agencies reported certain things initially and then stopped talking about them at all. There isn't a lot of footage of this stuff, though.

Wasn't that true of Waco, too?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Can you ask for documentary recommendations here? If so, anyone know of a documentary about german WW2 submarine warfare that goes into great detail about the tech and tools used that isn't super americanized (constant buttrock)?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Dongattack posted:

Can you ask for documentary recommendations here? If so, anyone know of a documentary about german WW2 submarine warfare that goes into great detail about the tech and tools used that isn't super americanized (constant buttrock)?

NO you may NOT

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

DeimosRising posted:

NO you may NOT

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Are you saying boooooooo or ubooooooooat?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Were you saying 'boooooooooo' or 'das booooooooooot?'

:cmon:

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
ubooooooooooooot

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

Well, there's your problem!

Zesty Mordant posted:

This isn't really a singular 'documentary' per se but if you like that sort of thing, Seth from the UYD podcast compiled a bunch of clips from 80s/90s/2000s tv into short "episodes" called Seth Clips in 25 volumes. They each kinda loosely have a 'theme' but it's mostly a kinda anxious jumble of images that, removed from all context, are just indescribably strange: Snoop dogg morphs into an actual dog. a guy in venice walks up to a police car and speaks with a false echo voice. a terribly acted livelinks ad. a woman cries on a hair restoration infomercial. another, more explicit phone sex ad, even more laughably acted. heat-vision helicopter footage from early afghanistan war; soliders chuckle as they blow little person shaped blobs into glowing smithereens. a cereal ad featuring a forgotten z-lister. a clip from COPS where they arrest crossdressers in 90s hollywood. on and on.

Thank you for the recommendation on that doc!
I loved Seth Clip’s so much I made some of mine own from all kinds of old stuff I could salvage on the net. Shamelessly sharing them here, should you like those kind of blends:
https://youtu.be/59Z6RQm4D2w
https://youtu.be/MQBdoD-CIuQ
https://youtu.be/VKYkGheyjEk

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Zesty Mordant posted:

I've been wanting something like this, thanks!

Recommended from Everything Is Terrible, Dante's Mixes--mostly bad...I wanna say French or French Canadian?...music videos. https://vimeo.com/mysterymix

edit: I would add that my link there is not very documentarian, it's a series of clips probably intended to give you a detached sort of nausea based on terrible and odd music, and other things.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Dec 9, 2019

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

iSimian posted:

Thank you for the recommendation on that doc!
I loved Seth Clip’s so much I made some of mine own from all kinds of old stuff I could salvage on the net. Shamelessly sharing them here, should you like those kind of blends:
https://youtu.be/59Z6RQm4D2w
https://youtu.be/MQBdoD-CIuQ
https://youtu.be/VKYkGheyjEk

These are a gem and I urge you to keep making them.

Would anyone be interested in a found media thread? I think if I pop it into GBS we might get some wild poo poo.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
There's a really good minidocuseries released now on Netflix called: Don't gently caress with cats: Hunting an internet killer. It has a lot of twists and turns so I don't want to spoil anything if you don't know the case.

Basically a dude posts a terrible video on the internet and people try to find out who he is. Then the videos get crazier.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Weaponized Autism posted:

New PBS documentary on AI, covers a lot of topics:

https://www.pbs.org/video/in-the-age-of-ai-zwfwzb/

Frontline has been absolutely killing it lately.

The entire 2019 season is on the PBS website/app but the one about Duterte is an absolute must watch. The ones about Flint, Paradise fire, MBS and Ratko Mladic are also really good.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Pingiivi posted:

There's a really good minidocuseries released now on Netflix called: Don't gently caress with cats: Hunting an internet killer. It has a lot of twists and turns so I don't want to spoil anything if you don't know the case.

Basically a dude posts a terrible video on the internet and people try to find out who he is. Then the videos get crazier.

Surprised this hasn't got more traction, this was fantastic

Is there anything similar out there?

InternetBully
Mar 17, 2004
I bully, on the internet.
Multiple aspects of Don't F**k With Cats reminded me of Tickled, the HBO doc from a couple years back.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Oh yeah, very similar

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Pingiivi posted:

i skipped over it because it looked like dumb internet netflix poo poo (looking at you Vox Explained) but im on ep 2 and yea its good.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I came across this channel and it reminds me of when I had the history channel during daytime
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_AelzzIRSM

just big efforts and building stuff, without any opinions or anything. its a nice reprieve from all the other kind of stuff where everything is tainted with some sort of neoliberlism or capitlism motivation (i mean... barring the fact that it is a cruise ship - im just here for the engineering)

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yes Don't gently caress with Cats is insanity. Thanks for the reco. I would have passed it up otherwise!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

DFW Cats was fine but it definitely put way too much stock in the Internet dweebs who didnt contribute anything of actual worth in two whole years, and only knew the identity of the guy because he told them himself. Like if you trimmed their stuff down the story could’ve been told in two episodes and not have really lost anything.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yeah, forcing them to be some kind of a framing device for the overall story didn't work for me and by the end I found them to be slightly annoying. Focusing on some lazy Facebook sleuths was a good way to start things off before the insanity but from there just focus on the more relevant stuff.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Stare-Out posted:

Yeah, forcing them to be some kind of a framing device for the overall story didn't work for me and by the end I found them to be slightly annoying. Focusing on some lazy Facebook sleuths was a good way to start things off before the insanity but from there just focus on the more relevant stuff.

I found the internet sleuths to be somewhat interesting but it would have been a lot more compelling if the stuff they'd found had actually contributed to the authorities being on the guy's trail. I mean it does appear from the cat stuff that they had a significant amount of info that could have had this guy looking at charges for animal cruelty/abuse before he escalated, but when 90 percent of it is unfiltered web hooha, what are police supposed to do with it?

So yeah, the amount of screen time occupied by the nerds in the late parts detracts from the impact of it and feels like padding it out.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

EL BROMANCE posted:

DFW Cats was fine but it definitely put way too much stock in the Internet dweebs who didnt contribute anything of actual worth in two whole years, and only knew the identity of the guy because he told them himself. Like if you trimmed their stuff down the story could’ve been told in two episodes and not have really lost anything.

Sounds like it had the same problem as Evil Genius where it should've been half as long.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Does anyone know if the Frontline version of For Sama is the full cut? The timings I’m seeing are different, 1hr40 listed on IMDb for the movie whereas the Frontline upload is closer to 1hr20. Would rather hold off if this is the case rather than just a mistake on the runtime.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

EL BROMANCE posted:

They did narrow down where he was and contacted the police there who seemed to drag their feet... that was about where their story should have ended, but it seemed kinda useful.

On a tangent (slighttt spoiler about the ending) For a second, when Baudi looks at the camera and says we're all complicit, I thought the whole documentary was a sham that tried to "make us think." Are there any bait and switch documentaries like that out there?

InternetBully
Mar 17, 2004
I bully, on the internet.
F For Fake comes to mind, maybe Exit Through the Gift Shop too.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

BonoMan posted:

On a tangent (slighttt spoiler about the ending) For a second, when Baudi looks at the camera and says we're all complicit, I thought the whole documentary was a sham that tried to "make us think." Are there any bait and switch documentaries like that out there?
Eh, I think people are taking that line wrong. The point was that Magnotta thrived on the attention, and she asked the question whether that documentary and you watching it would continue doing him that favor.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
I'm not sure if any of you remember internet phenomenon Ullillillia? Anyway, a documentary was made about him somewhere around 2012 but because the documentary makers were inexperienced they more or less messed it up, ran out of funds and that was that.

The documentary never got released, until yesterday when they uploaded the complete doc to YouTube!

I haven't watched it yet, so I can't comment on the quality, but I'm very curious.

Go check it out!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Combat Pretzel posted:

Eh, I think people are taking that line wrong. The point was that Magnotta thrived on the attention, and she asked the question whether that documentary and you watching it would continue doing him that favor.

Oh no I totally get the point she was making. I was just commenting that the abrupt turn to address the viewer directly down the barrel of the lens caught me off guard and for a split second I was thinking "holy poo poo was this made up and this is the turn?" Obviously not but then I was talking with a friend who though the same thing and it got me thinking if there were any total bait and switch documentaries out there.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Sagacity posted:

I'm not sure if any of you remember internet phenomenon Ullillillia? Anyway, a documentary was made about him somewhere around 2012 but because the documentary makers were inexperienced they more or less messed it up, ran out of funds and that was that.

The documentary never got released, until yesterday when they uploaded the complete doc to YouTube!

I haven't watched it yet, so I can't comment on the quality, but I'm very curious.

Go check it out!

I watched it (and made a post in GBS) and it’s clearly a rough cut of a student film, but I appreciate it for what it is... could have completely done without the flood aspect since it relates to the Ulillillia story in almost no way other than impacting his ability to attend the state fair.

Any sequences in his room - especially his pizza degreasing - are wonderfully gross and boggling.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
What's the premise or hook of the documentary?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcq-TZdDSlo

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
American Experience: the Perfect Crime is a short PBS doc on Prime right now that I found super good and somewhat disturbing, def check it out

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Are there any good nostalgia documentaries about early 2000s?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The thing with that is, pretty much all nostalgia for that time period is completely overshadowed by one event.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

ICHIBAHN posted:

Are there any good nostalgia documentaries about early 2000s?

CNN's doc series did a great one called The 2000's: https://www.cnn.com/videos/tv/2018/07/05/2000s-cnn-original-series-supertease.cnn-creative-marketing

When you get done binge-watching it you're in luck because they have one for every decade going back to the 50s.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Thanks, those are exactly what I've been looking for. Unfortunately I watched them a while ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Posting from the general streaming thread

George H.W. oval office posted:

My fiancée wants to watch some US history documentaries since she’s forgotten everything from grade school. What are a good few that range from beginnings to now?