Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

The only times I've laughed to the point of crying were during 'springtime for hitler' in Producers and the hitler car scenes in Rat Race.

Does this mean I'm secretly a nazi?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

I don't think it's a secret any more.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Guest2553 posted:

The only times I've laughed to the point of crying were during 'springtime for hitler' in Producers and the hitler car scenes in Rat Race.

Does this mean I'm secretly a nazi?

You and noted Nazis Mel Brooks and Andy Breckman, yeah.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

FrozenVent posted:

The movie has a musical number titled “Springtime for Hitler”, just fyi.

And it's loving hilarious. The movie literally has someone call it out as being in bad taste.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

In my circles “clutching pearls” means grabbing someone else’s nuts (like, sexually, not violently) does it have some other meaning

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
it implies an overstated or disingenuous fear, like would be found in a well-off suburban housewife who wears pearls and fears their theft. "But won't SOMEONE think of the CHILDREN?!" type hysteria, basically.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

FrozenVent posted:

The movie has a musical number titled “Springtime for Hitler”, just fyi.

And its performance at the Kennedy Center Honors led to some all-time great crowd reaction footage.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

And if you're a giant Doctor Who nerd like me, the fact that gay-as-gently caress John Barrowman is the blonde dude singing "Springtime for Hitler" in the remake is just :love:

Seriously, everyone should watch at least the original, if not the remake.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
It's made pretty explicit that Springtime for Hitler is 100% "hey what do you suppose the worst possible thing we can come up with is?"

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It’s a film that literal children can understand the nuances of.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's made pretty explicit that Springtime for Hitler is 100% "hey what do you suppose the worst possible thing we can come up with is?"

One thing I enjoy is that, within the fiction of The Producers, the reason that Springtime for Hitler was such a success was that audiences were laughing hysterically at it for how it was (unintentionally) mocking the Nazis. It wasn't like there was some other reason why people liked it. The protagonists tried to make the worst thing, and then sabotaged it in a way that made the production a nonstop belittling of that worst thing, and people fuckin' loved it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Vavrek posted:

One thing I enjoy is that, within the fiction of The Producers, the reason that Springtime for Hitler was such a success was that audiences were laughing hysterically at it for how it was (unintentionally) mocking the Nazis. It wasn't like there was some other reason why people liked it. The protagonists tried to make the worst thing, and then sabotaged it in a way that made the production a nonstop belittling of that worst thing, and people fuckin' loved it.

The first segment, which seems to be playing straight, ends on this one guy punctuating the awkward silence with applause only to be literally beaten up by the rest of the audience until he shuts up.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Reminder, Mel Brooks literally fought the Nazis at the Battle of the Bulge. He would gently caress with them by playing Al Jolson over loudspeakers.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Free Market Mambo posted:

Reminder, Mel Brooks literally fought the Nazis at the Battle of the Bulge. He would gently caress with them by playing Al Jolson over loudspeakers.

Brooks tells a story, I think about the Broadway musical production, where some guy got really offended at making a comedy involving Nazis, saying he was a WW2, this is a disgrace, etc.

Brooks: "You were in World War 2?"
Guy: "Yeah!"
Brooks: "I was in World War 2! AND I DIDN'T SEE YOU THERE!"

I think I remember hearing the story from Matthew Broderick once, and he pointed out that nobody knew what to do because there were these two 80 year old men fighting over a concessions counter.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Spike Jones - Der Fuehrer's Face
dank parody from 1942

https://youtu.be/I1583adUqSg

Disney version 1943
https://youtu.be/CwreE62nFdU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Been suddenly getting a lot of spam texts the last few days about someone offering plumbing service.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Foreverwar is a scam.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Alkydere posted:

Been suddenly getting a lot of spam texts the last few days about someone offering plumbing service.

They're from G Gordon Liddy I assume?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

peanut posted:

Spike Jones - Der Fuehrer's Face
dank parody from 1942

https://youtu.be/I1583adUqSg

Disney version 1943
https://youtu.be/CwreE62nFdU

Speaking of Disney rip offs, Kimba the White Lion v The Lion King

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOHjktwvqdE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfJvKIDS9n8

EDIT:

I had posted about toner cartridge scams a while back and seem to remember people not believing me but here's an article about printer cartridges programmed to read as empty even when they're not

https://slate.com/technology/2008/08/how-your-printer-tricks-you-into-buying-ink-and-toner-when-you-don-t-need-it.html

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jan 11, 2020

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap
I've been getting a lot of calls from what's claiming to be "[cellphone company] Chinese voice department". Which would be a hell of a lot more convincing if not for the fact that I used to work for the cellphone company, and I know for a fact that they don't have a Chinese voice department.

A department with translators for Mandarin and Cantonese? Sure. But they sure as hell aren't going to contact you, you need to call them. And you're not going to get them calling a customer whose primary language is English.

The fact that it goes into Chinese robocall immediately after doesn't help either.

I'm starting to wonder if I should change my number to a local one, just to get out of so many Chinese scam calls.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nah you'll just get nonchinese scam calls

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
I've (fingers crossed) managed to stop the avalanche of daily calls and texts from debt collectors who think I'm someone named Nayla. Still get Chinese scam calls though despite having a local number.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

computer angel posted:

I've (fingers crossed) managed to stop the avalanche of daily calls and texts from debt collectors who think I'm someone named Nayla. Still get Chinese scam calls though despite having a local number.

Good luck. I'm still getting the occasional call from people seeking the previous owner of my phone number, three years in. Doctor's offices, mainly, not debt collection.

Aricascade
Jan 7, 2020

Living like it's 2006
My info must have been obtained from a web domain I gave up years ago. I still get the chancer call me claiming to be from HMRC tax except I'll have just woken up early morning after a 12 hour night shift and making sense of someone with a thick asian accent is pratically impossible.

The last time it happened I kept saying "what?" Because I had no idea what they were saying and after 5 minutes he hung up. It took 20 minutes to click what had just happened.
Wish I had a burner phone but I am glad I don't keep the sound on during the day when I am sleeping.

I haven't got anymore calls in a while but I type them online to get a rough idea of where it came from. Always red and marked as dangerous. I like to try to brainstorm creative ways to get them to gently caress off.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i like to get telemarketers on the line and then play mary had a little lamb with the key tones, to make their day a little brighter

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

luxury handset posted:

i like to get telemarketers on the line and then play mary had a little lamb with the key tones, to make their day a little brighter
If you want to make them cry with nostalgia, play the old Nickelodeon jingle. I don't know the whole thing but the last five digits are 7485#.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I just wait for them to finish their whole pitch, then ask them to repeat it, then keep asking until they hang up.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I work with an Indian guy who told me his strategy: if he detects an Indian accent, will put on the most white-bread accent he can and go on about "you Pakistanis" to make them emotionally invested in the phone call in a bad way.

Your foray into casual racism may vary.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

oh god lmao

DamagedGoods
Jan 17, 2012
Wonderin' about a letter x2 I got today for Nextdoor. It's got a stamp on it. Dumb postal carrier put both in my physical mailbox. Thing is, oops noticed that there are 2 different codes. Seems fishy. Shredding atm. Activation code was said to expire in 7 days. Red flag for me. Watch out for this bullshit.

DamagedGoods fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jan 18, 2020

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
If the letters don't tell you to go somewhere besides nextdoor.com and aren't QR codes that lead to unknown addresses or something, you are probably safe to treat them as legitimate invitations.

The correct move is still to throw them in the trash.

DamagedGoods
Jan 17, 2012
Yep It's a lovely photocopy with blue ink on the links. Lol.
Also a P.S. There are already 800 posts on Nextdoor address redacted about Crime &Safety issues in the neighborhood.

Fear mongering at it's worst.

I don't trust this.

DamagedGoods fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jan 18, 2020

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Boomer bait

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
is next door a real thing, i thought it was just a gimmick twitter acount with poo poo boomers say and has those two old men muppets as its avatar.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

DamagedGoods posted:

Wonderin' about a letter x2 I got today for Nextdoor. It's got a stamp on it. Dumb postal carrier put both in my physical mailbox. Thing is, oops noticed that there are 2 different codes. Seems fishy. Shredding atm. Activation code was said to expire in 7 days. Red flag for me. Watch out for this bullshit.

It’s real but dumb.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

DamagedGoods posted:

Isn't that literally their job? To put mail in mailboxes?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

PhazonLink posted:

is next door a real thing, i thought it was just a gimmick twitter acount with poo poo boomers say and has those two old men muppets as its avatar.

It's Facebook but for specific neighborhoods. And you get to people watch absolute morons. There are continually old people on the one for my majority black neighborhood going essentially "I SAW A BLACK PERSON WALKING DOWN THE STREET DO YOU THINK THEY WERE CASING THE NEIGHBORHOOD?"

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

AngryRobotsInc posted:

It's Facebook but for specific neighborhoods. And you get to people watch absolute morons. There are continually old people on the one for my majority black neighborhood going essentially "I SAW A BLACK PERSON WALKING DOWN THE STREET DO YOU THINK THEY WERE CASING THE NEIGHBORHOOD?"

That sort of thing is simultaneously the best and the worst thing. Police blotters can also be fabulous for that. Most people are OK but there's always that one poo poo head in every neighborhood. The craziest one I read was about a lady who kept calling about a young black guy that walked past her house every morning at exactly the same time. Nobody else in the neighborhood gave a single poo poo as the guy wasn't hurting anything and, you know, roads are public and all. Eventually the police did stop to question the guy. He basically just said "this is the quickest way for me to walk to work."

That was it. That was the entire story. The guy walked to work and that was the route he used. One person decided to be a poo poo head about it.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I have a nextdoor account basically for missing pets, but most of the notification emails I get are about stuff like that or people looking for one-time handyman services. One was about a homeless guy who'd been in a specific area for awhile, so I went and found him and was like "hey some psycho may call the cops on you thanks to this online thing, just fyi." There's one guy on there I'd put even odds on shooting one of his neighbors eventually from his complaints, but what can ya do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

DamagedGoods posted:

I'm perplexed by this. Isn't Nextdoor, as was said, an online thing like FB but for your neighborhood? Why would they be sending physical snail mail? What did the mail say? Was it addressed to you, or just "current resident"?

I've never used it or even seen it, just going on what I learn from these forums.

Pharmaskittle posted:

One was about a homeless guy who'd been in a specific area for awhile, so I went and found him and was like "hey some psycho may call the cops on you thanks to this online thing, just fyi."

You are good peeps in my book for doing that. :)

I hate nebbish neighbors trying to make person's lovely life even shittier like that. My last neighborhood, I had a cop wake me up by pounding on my door first thing in the morning. I looked thru the peephole, saw him, and had a panic attack and woke my husband up to answer the door (I once got arrested and jailed for a bit, so I'm super jumpy about cops even when I know I haven't done anything wrong). Turns out a lady across the street who didn't even live in our apartment building noticed my car hadn't moved in a while (starter was dead), and called the cops because my car's inspection was out-of-date. By, like a month or two, she's not some rust-heap on blocks; I was unemployed and just couldn't afford to get her towed, fixed, and inspected at the time.

The cop seemed exasperated for getting called out for this lame-rear end "crime" and after hearing the explanation just told my husband "eh, try to get that fixed soon, okay?", no ticket. Same crazy neighbor also left nasty notes, threatening to call the cops, on the windshield of anyone parked too close to a fire hydrant on our street (narrator: they were all perfectly well outside the legal space limit).

/rant over, thanks for coming to my TED talk