Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That Barbara Walters, she's some lady.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
New year, new decade, new thread...

New shows?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Rhyno posted:

New shows?

No thanks

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

That new couch smell

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I hope we get a new show based on TRON soon

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thread title doesn’t have “Couch Chat” in it and is therefore invalid

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Escobarbarian posted:

Every year the thread title uses a word, pretty soon it's just gonna be called "Thread".

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

Fuckk I didn't even notice, mld what are you even DOING

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Setting a precedent for couch chat early this year.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I hope we get a new show based on TRON soon

Uprising was too good for this world.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
So is Picard the most anticipated new show of 2020?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Croatoan posted:

It is for me. Jan 23rd is Captain Picard Day. I plan to shave my head the night before.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Croatoan posted:

What other shows are even coming out right now?

Happy New Years, TVIV people! This thread is low-key one of my favorites on the forums.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Ugly In The Morning posted:

What other shows are even coming out right now?

Falcon and Winter Soldier
Y: The Last Man
Doctor Who (It took a year off so I say it counts)
I don't know if it counts because it's also a returning show but hell yeah, BCS is back!

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
How about that Hugh Downs huh?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

It is for me. Jan 23rd is Captain Picard Day. I plan to shave my head the night before.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Croatoan posted:

I don't know if it is coming in 2020 but I am intensely interested in the idea of Lovecraft Country

quote:

Lovecraft Country follows "Atticus Black as he joins up with his friend Letitia and his Uncle George to embark on a road trip across 1950s Jim Crow America in search of his missing father. This begins a struggle to survive and overcome both the racist terrors of Jim Crowe America and the terrifying monsters that could be ripped from a Lovecraft paperback."

Edit: Also related: Locke and Key on Netflix, which is apparently releasing in a month and they haven't shown a trailer yet so I hope that doesn't suck

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 1, 2020

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Oh! They also announced that Wandavision has been moved up to 2020 instead of 2021.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Isn't Dr Who back today?

For me it's season 2 of What We Do in the Shadows.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Personally I am very looking forward to the Wheel of Time adaption that's coming to amazon later this year, it's one of my favorite dumb fantasy series and the casting info they've already released has me optimistic that it will be worth watching.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

I am so afraid WoT is going to be bad. They should’ve done an adaptation focused on the original War of Power or the Aiel War or even the Seanchan. It’s going to be a tough adaptation... although imagining the Aiel history as Rand goes through the trials actually being shown could be amazing.

My biggest fear is they try to Game of Thrones it - although hopefully they edit out Mat getting raped and everyone laughing at him for it (because men can’t get raped)

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Y: The Last Man is one of my favorite comics. I remember very closely following all the news of the supposed movie development a decade ago. I really am hoping against hope that the show does not end up sucking.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

my only real experience with Wheel of Time is that my dad read all the books and I recall always buying the new ones for him as Christmas presents. We also bought him the computer game and that was all I ever knew about the series so if the upcoming show doesn't have something like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLgT2-Q5wNk my 10 year old self will consider it a failure

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Is Wheel of Time the fantasy series that had a tv pilot randomly air once in the middle of the night on FX a couple years ago for rights issues?

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Is Wheel of Time the fantasy series that had a tv pilot randomly air once in the middle of the night on FX a couple years ago for rights issues?

Yes

Wheel of Time is hard to adapt -- it's an extremely long and complex series with dozens of main characters and a plotline spread over several thousand years. There's also a number of concepts (i.e. the magic system, the history of the kingdoms, the Prophecy of the Dragon) that are going to be very difficult to explain without extensive, painful exposition. I'm also curious what kind of budget they have because they're going to need a lot of CGI.

I am also curious if they keep the demographics true to the book -- if so the only 'white' characters would be Rand and the rest of the Aiel.

The series itself is kind of the best and the worst of 1980s - 1990s fantasy, and is kind of what Game of Thrones was reacting (in part) to, i.e. there's very little sex or explicit graphic violence, just... lots of dense plot. The history of the world though is extremely dope, though, and there's some really cool areas that I think would look great on TV.

Also, if they are doing an accurate adaptation, be prepared to witness lots of braid pulling and extremely frustrating, one-dimensional female characters!

Seven Hundred Bee fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 1, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Croatoan posted:

I don't know if it counts because it's also a returning show but hell yeah, BCS is back!

Is this the last season? I haven't watched since S2, it's an amazing show but it stresses me out so much I want to be able to just watch the whole thing in a go.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yeah, it was an attempt at a power move by a company that had licensed the series. They didn't actually have enough money to do it so instead they shot a "prequel" involving like two actors and then bought a paid programming slot.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Is this the last season? I haven't watched since S2, it's an amazing show but it stresses me out so much I want to be able to just watch the whole thing in a go.

As for Better Call Saul, "There will be six seasons," Esposito said. "It seems like that's the way, the comfortable way, to end this show."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/better-call-saul-end-season-6-star-says-1203797

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

As far as the plot time spread, that's just a couple of flashbacks. Sure it spans thousands of years but very little of interest to the plot happened between the start and end of those thousands. And the places where it does jump more freely are intentionally disorienting in the books. "Evil seductress lusting over the protagonist's prior incarnation and settling for him instead but not happy about it" doesn't take much to explain. The rest is really going to come down to editing choices. Jordan was interested in weaving a world more than writing just one story, and even just narrowing the view down to the main characters it'll be a lot of figuring what to leave in and how to pace it. If they're not trying to do it right it's gonna be a mess, and if they do try to do it right there's going to be some hard choices. One whole book is a temporal reset, everyone's storylines got so out of sync that one character was in two places at the narratively same time so they used a global event to jump between everyone and say "where were they when X went down." That's pretty easy (relatively speaking) to fix in a new production, if they remember to actually do it instead of sticking to a "one book a season" formula.

It's the series where even when the author was trying to write everyone's way to the ending it didn't happen until after he died and they brought in someone else whose only job was to go through the notes, draw a straight line between where characters were and where they had to be for the big event, and follow it. But since Jordan DID write the characters as interesting characters whoever you cut is going to legitimately be somebody's favorite.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Bruceski posted:

As far as the plot time spread, that's just a couple of flashbacks. Sure it spans thousands of years but very little of interest to the plot happened between the start and end of those thousands. And the places where it does jump more freely are intentionally disorienting in the books. "Evil seductress lusting over the protagonist's prior incarnation and settling for him instead but not happy about it" doesn't take much to explain. The rest is really going to come down to editing choices. Jordan was interested in weaving a world more than writing just one story, and even just narrowing the view down to the main characters it'll be a lot of figuring what to leave in and how to pace it. If they're not trying to do it right it's gonna be a mess, and if they do try to do it right there's going to be some hard choices. One whole book is a temporal reset, everyone's storylines got so out of sync that one character was in two places at the narratively same time so they used a global event to jump between everyone and say "where were they when X went down." That's pretty easy (relatively speaking) to fix in a new production, if they remember to actually do it instead of sticking to a "one book a season" formula.

It's the series where even when the author was trying to write everyone's way to the ending it didn't happen until after he died and they brought in someone else whose only job was to go through the notes, draw a straight line between where characters were and where they had to be for the big event, and follow it. But since Jordan DID write the characters as interesting characters whoever you cut is going to legitimately be somebody's favorite.

Except Faile. gently caress Faile. gently caress that entire plot.

They should just do a Mat series. Mat riding around with the Band of the Red Hand. Mat gambling with the Tear lords. If they cut down on Mat ... god help them!

What helps is the first book is much more stand alone.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

I am also curious if they keep the demographics true to the book -- if so the only 'white' characters would be Rand and the rest of the Aiel.

They have revealed casting for the main characters and they're a pretty diverse group. Perrin, Nynaeve, Lan, Egwene, and Fain are all being played by POC actors.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I bet the LOTR show will be terrible.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Well yeah. It exists purely to extend the IP rather. It will be entirely uninteresting even if it's polished. It's not even adapting The Silmarillion because of rights issues. It has no artistic value from conception.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well now it's going to be amazing.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Oh snap, they cast Roose Bolton as Tam al'Thor :stare:

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Rarity posted:

Oh snap, they cast Roose Bolton as Tam al'Thor :stare:

Oh hey he also plays Gaius in FF14: Stormblood and Shadowbringers

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

I am so afraid WoT is going to be bad. They should’ve done an adaptation focused on the original War of Power or the Aiel War or even the Seanchan. It’s going to be a tough adaptation... although imagining the Aiel history as Rand goes through the trials actually being shown could be amazing.

My biggest fear is they try to Game of Thrones it - although hopefully they edit out Mat getting raped and everyone laughing at him for it (because men can’t get raped)

I've tried to read that first book abook ten times. I even have the entire audiobook series, but i can't past the first 90 min, it's so loving boring.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Theres a big thread in TBB about it, but yea it's a tough read, especially by today's fantasy standards.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Fantasy books aren't my usually my ting, if we are going full fantasy i expect some space ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rocksicles posted:

Fantasy books aren't my usually my ting, if we are going full fantasy i expect some space ships.

Which reminds me, I really hope Amazon actually makes that Culture series they announced. I haven’t heard anything about that in a while.