Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (June 8, 2008)

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 8, 1998)

Garfield Classic (June 8, 1988)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

:heysexy:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange is a gag-a-day strip by two women, Hilary Price and Rina Piccolo.

Retail is about the joys of working in a big-box store.

Get Fuzzy started 20 years ago and was pretty fresh and funny for its time, although the creator, Darby Conley, burned out quickly. This one is from 12/31/99.

I also post Buni, which comes up once or twice a week. I formerly posted Edge of Adventure, which has not updated since the start of December and may or may not be over.

For the new thread, I've decided to stop posting Pros and Cons, which used to be a thread favorite. While it's still well-drawn and gets out the occasional good gag, over the last few years, it has been frequently lurching into right-wing rear end in a top hat territory.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Mikl posted:

Hello, I am here! I fell off the wagon sometimes around December 18 or something, but I'm back and ready for a new year!

Did something of significance happen in:

- Luann

while I wa gone?

No!

PuddingKnight posted:

Luann and Dustin suck poo poo

The current "storyline" if you can call it that is that Gunther has a girlfriend who wants to livestream their date and also the Evanses don't know how the Internet works.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The most important thing to remember about Luann is that they're all still in school. They might claim to be adults, but they're all 14, including the parents.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Yay new thread! :toot:

To start, let's catch up with Crabgrass, a slice of life comic by the guy that made the excellent A Problem Like Jamal. It's about two best friends in the 80's and many of the elements are autobiographical.

You can support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!
Does anyone have the Dustin edit where Ed strokes out in panel two and Helen just watches him collapse and presumably die in panel three? That one always puts a smile on my face.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I also post colorized versions of the early (superior) Peanuts comics.

(May 5, 1951)

Early Charlie Brown is kind of a dick and it's great.

Calvin and Hobbes requires no introduction.

(Nov 10-11, 1986)

And finally there's Robbie and Bobby by the guy that makes My Dad is Dracula. It's about a boy and his robot doing... things.

(Dec 5-8, 2014)

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://twitter.com/NoobtheLoser/status/1209493880279838725?s=20

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I missed the cups saga. Holy poo poo I haven't laughed at Dustin ever.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Does anyone have the Dustin edit where Ed strokes out in panel two and Helen just watches him collapse and presumably die in panel three? That one always puts a smile on my face.

Also forgot that I made this:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like Tim. He speaks to me.

Happy new decade. Be queer, do crimes. Fight the power. I'll give the short run down rather than full history.

Family Circus began in 1960, under Bil Keane. He died in 2011 and the comic has continued under his son, Jeff (who was the namesake of Jeffy.) Bil remains the father character, his wife Thel (yes they have names.) And the kids, Jeffy, Billy, Dolly, and PJ. 99.9% of the time is glurgy trite. But every so often you'll get a gem. Like this Halloween 2012 strip,

Rose is Rose, Pat Brady in 1984. More slice of life glurgy. There is a baby cousin who talks weird (Pasquale used to have that speech impediment.) Brady likely has a fat fetish, there were old comics involving it. Plus Rose's mom is, not a svelte lady. Also Rose's "biker chick" alter ego is incredibly mild and tame.

One Big Happy, Rick Detorie, 1988. Same pattern. Thread used to like it, then Rick went more "gently caress you got mine" about the poors and such and it's gotten real awkward. Usually it's inoffensive, but sometimes. Man.

For Better or For Worse, aka Foob, aka BOXCARS aka Roadside. The progenitor of :fireman:
Lynn Johnston, 1979 to 2008. Jesus crust we've been here since it ended, goddamn.
September 1, 2008, Lynn started the comic from the beginning again. Redrawing it. There's a lot there but in short it's restarted with some slight changes. And hoo boy, Johnston is. Something.

Compu-Toon Charles Boyce, 1994. "If you’ve ever struggled to turn your cell phone off, thought cookies were just a delicious snack, and tried in vain to talk to a human customer service rep, Charles Boyce has created a strip for you. Compu-toon reminds us that technological innovations haven’t necessarily made our lives any easier -- maybe just more funny. " is how Boyce describes it. What is the strip actually?
It's a tech strip written by someone who's astoundingly tech illiterate. But sometimes Boyce has the weirdest moments of clarity.

Bizarro Dan Piraro, 1985 - 2017, starting in 2018, Wayne 'Wayno' Honath took over the dailies, and Piraro does the Sunday strips.
This is Dan Piraro should answer all questions.

I used to post Dilbert as well. But Scott Adams is loving terrible and we no longer post. That was, an experience.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I think you're being very charitable on One Big Happy, but I suspect I may have also said that last year :v:

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

I haven't been clear on this at all, is Lynn for sure redrawing it? Or just re-running it?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

My Lovely Horse posted:

I think you're being very charitable on One Big Happy, but I suspect I may have also said that last year :v:

The thread did USED to enjoy it. Then Rick got lovely.
And my source for Foob info is admittedly Wikipedia because this isn't a college class so I'm doing the minimum of research plus Lynn is weird and strange.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

Oh, I'm not blaming you or anything! The switch to the hybrids and the redraws and what not was really weird and I never found out what the deal was, and it wasn't helped by going through the autiobio takedown that Transmordiar posted last thread, where it wasn't clear if she let go and just did reruns after the hybrid was over or not!

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Safety Dance posted:

I'm getting 2020 off to the right start.

Aw, hell naw...

(The original, if you're curious.)

Anyway, HAPPY PUBLIC DOMAIN DAY!

(From Charles Dana Gibson, the grand master of getting a type of woman named after him.)

Major strips which began in 1924 (and thus have elements that are now free for creative recycling without calling in the lawyers (at least in the US)):
    * Boots and Her Buddies (debuted February 18th)
    * Wash Tubbs (debuted April 14th)
    * Winsor McKay's revival of Little Nemo (began August 3rd)
    * Little Orphan Annie (debuted August 5th)

Obviously, there are many, many more, and obviously I'm gonna nose around for 'em.

Sally Forth (Francesco Marciuliano and Jim Keefe) is either one of the best bits of reading in post-millennium newspaper comic stripdom or a wall of words with occasional pictures. I'm the guy posting it, so you tell me which side I'm on. Last year, Ces and Jim finally allowed Hillary to get out of middle school and Sally is very much unemployed and feeling it.

Skippy (Percy Crosby) was created for the first version of Life Magazine (which we pull from for Skippy on Sunday). As summed up by Don Markstein: "Once, the name "Skippy" was associated in the public consciousness with an extremely popular comic strip about a little boy and his small town adventures. Comics historian and critic Coulton Waugh (whose cartooning credentials included having taken over Dickie Dare from Milton Caniff) said it "was no routine, ordinarily good job". It's no exaggeration to call it the Peanuts of its time. Now, the name only refers to a brand of peanut butter. There's a connection between the two, and the story behind it appears even more sordid than what's been going on between Disney and the licensor of Winnie the Pooh." (August 19, 1932)

Peanuts (Charles M. Schulz), the newer, worse version, to hear some people tell it, but this is the version of the strip I grew up with, so dance with the one that brung ya. And hanging on after the end means we don't have to choose between the two versions. (January 3, 1973)

Here's how I summed up Funky Winkerbean (Tom "Goddamn" Batiuk) a few years ago: "A rib-tickling chucklefest about how everything you love decays and dies. It used to be the pun-laden adventures of a group of high school students, but then The Most Important Woman In The Universe died and everything went straight to Hell. The resulting product carries an overinflated air of self-importance, and yet still isn't ambitious enough to be Nihilist Arby's: The Comic Strip." That was before TomBat had Bull Bushka kill himself after a concussion-laden career left him with a failing brain, and then promptly swept his family off the stage, thus tricking New York Times readers into stumbling over the setup for yet another warming over of The Saga of Saint Lisa of Cancerwife.

Crankshaft (Tom "Goddamn" Batiuk and Dan "You Brought This On Yourself, Buddy" Davis), the story of a grumpy malaprop-spouting school bus driver, takes place ten years before Funky Winkerbean, but they both still take place in the modern day. None of this is necessary to know to roll your eyes at either one of them, or (more likely) both.

Like a lot of things we hate read, 9 Chickweed Lane (Brooke "History's Greatest Monster" McEldowney) is two stories in one. On the page, it's the story of a community of the most insufferable, yet completely interchangeable, pseudointellectuals imaginable. Seriously, take any random line of dialogue, throw it at a friend who reads the strip, and see if they can guess who said it. The answer is always going to be "I can't remember any of their names, and you can't either, rear end in a top hat."

In our imagined "behind the scenes" scenario, it's about a post-middle-aged cartoonist whose concept of how smart people talk and act was probably formed by poorly written animated cartoons, and who uses his characters to work through a laundry list of barely hidden fetishes. At the present time, he's up to "pregnancy".

We also have evidence that he's so far up his own rear end that he thinks a country breeze smells like a breakfast burrito. So there's that to read for, too.

Rip Haywire (Dan Thompson) is a send-up of the type of square jawed, two-fisted action hero that only jerks like us seem to read anymore.

Thimble Theater (Elzie Segar) is the tale of a mutant sailor and his many hangers-on. If you're just joining us, you came at the right time, because it looks like the cast is about to get bigger. (August 1, 1936)

Out Our Way (J.R. Williams) is the original "clip it for the refrigerator" cartoon panel. It's about cowboys, machine shop workers, turn-of-the-century small town nostalgia, sibling rivalry, high-strung mothers, and (of course) BOYZENDORGS. (November 20-22, 1933)

Toonerville Folks (although it's not called that yet in the era I'm posting) is a cartoon panel that I've had a soft spot for over the years, so last year I just went for it. Small town characters, powerful nursemaids, and a world-famous form of public transport. (Fontaine Fox, June 2-3, 1916)

Dok's Dippy Duck (John "Dok" Hager) was the breakout retro hit of 2019. A smartass Seattle-based duck hangs out on a street corner. Sometimes he picks fights. Sometimes fights pick him. Created by a dentist who took up cartooning in middle age and became a regional legend. (January 1, 1913)

The last two are more or less effort posts, so their appearance is subject to whether I'm getting plowed under on other fronts or not.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 2, 2020

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Nomi would approve

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
RIP Curly. He dead

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

PuddingKnight posted:

Oh, I'm not blaming you or anything! The switch to the hybrids and the redraws and what not was really weird and I never found out what the deal was, and it wasn't helped by going through the autiobio takedown that Transmordiar posted last thread, where it wasn't clear if she let go and just did reruns after the hybrid was over or not!

Initially the plan was that she'd redraw the whole thing, but it wasn't long before the syndicate was like, "...what? No." So now other than occasionally adjusting the strip to modern sensibilities by having an intern draw in a seatbelt or something (because it was the 80's and nobody gave a poo poo if their kid went through a windshield), it's as it originally ran.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

someone awful. posted:

please can we not post the work of a guy who probably sexually abused his assistant or whatever, it's not really that funny
:emptyquote:

EasyEW posted:

Toonerville Folks (although it's not called that yet in the era I'm posting) is a cartoon panel that I've had a soft spot for over the years, so last year I just went for it. Small town characters, powerful nursemaids, and a world-famous form of public transport. (Fontaine Fox, June 2-3, 1916)

Fun fact: I was real close to having Katrinka referenced in the thread title before THE BLOOD stole the crown in the last moment.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Haifisch posted:

:emptyquote:

Fun fact: I was real close to having Katrinka referenced in the thread title before THE BLOOD stole the crown in the last moment.

You must admit that THE BLOOD is creepy, and the story is getting really interesting.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I haven't seen Juggs Parker in here for a while. Is nobody posting that any more?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Manuel Calavera posted:

Rose is Rose, Pat Brady in 1984. More slice of life glurgy. There is a baby cousin who talks weird (Pasquale used to have that speech impediment.) Brady likely has a fat fetish, there were old comics involving it. Plus Rose's mom is, not a svelte lady. Also Rose's "biker chick" alter ego is incredibly mild and tame.

I hate that I have to clarify this but it's worse than a fat fetish, it's a feeder fetish, where Rose is svelte and Jimbo would deliberately stuff her with food in an attempt to fatten her up so she looked like her mother, who Jimbo identified as having a far more attractive figure.

I'm clarifying this because I feel like feeder stuff is far creepier, especially stuff like early Rose is Rose where it centers on the fed party being unaware of their partner's intention to make them fat.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Happy new year everyone!

I normally post Prince Valiant, a long running low fantasy adventure strip by Hal Foster (currently produced by Mark Schultz and Thomas Yeates), which follows the travels and trials of the titular Prince of Thule. I would provide more of a summary, but with over eighty years of backstory, there's a lot to cover. Also, the strip only runs on Sundays, so I don't even have a current strip to share today.

I do have a non-current strip, however!

Vintage Valiant (Feb. 13, 1937)

I thought I'd try this on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays until I get tired of so doing. If you're interested in seeing more strips and sooner, Fantagraphics publishes excellent oversized, full color collections and you should go buy them all right away!

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PuddingKnight posted:

There's also the fact I'm not sure myself either so who knows.

PetraCore posted:

I hate that I have to clarify this but it's worse than a fat fetish, it's a feeder fetish, where Rose is svelte and Jimbo would deliberately stuff her with food in an attempt to fatten her up so she looked like her mother, who Jimbo identified as having a far more attractive figure.

I'm clarifying this because I feel like feeder stuff is far creepier, especially stuff like early Rose is Rose where it centers on the fed party being unaware of their partner's intention to make them fat.

I must have forgotten the details. That sounds exactly right though.

Mercedes Colomar fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jan 2, 2020

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I am fully up for some Vintage Valiant. 100%.

PetraCore posted:

Yeah, it's explicitly Rose doesn't want to gain weight and Jimbo keeps fantasizing about her being fat and tries to get her to eat more/sneak her fattening food.

The strip has backed waaaaaaaaay off that in recent years, but I am telling you that Rose's mom showing up so often is 100% so the writer could keep a fat lady in the strip to jerk it to. She looks exactly what Jimbo's fantasies of Fat Rose looked like.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
HERE'S MY COMICS

Heart of the City is about a precocious young woman named Heart. I picked it up a few months ago, and if there's more direction to it than just sending her off on whatever week-long story the author comes up with (and making Star Wars references), I haven't noticed it.

The Boondocks Did you ever see that cartoon called The Boondocks? This is a lot like that.

Zippy the Pinhead The joke is that you're reading comic strips.

Ripley's Believe It Or Not Is a pale, pale imitation of a once-great and once-informative cartoon panel. These days, it coasts on tracings, Wikipedia scroungings, and boring reader submissions.

Dick Tracy Famous dick Dick Tracy does police things and ignores laws to do so. I post the early days of the strip. Today's strips are from April 7-9, 1933, in case you were wondering.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Julet Esqu posted:

I am fully up for some Vintage Valiant. 100%.

Yeah, it's explicitly Rose doesn't want to gain weight and Jimbo keeps fantasizing about her being fat and tries to get her to eat more/sneak her fattening food.

The strip has backed waaaaaaaaay off that in recent years, but I am telling you that Rose's mom showing up so often is 100% so the writer could keep a fat lady in the strip to jerk it to. She looks exactly what Jimbo's fantasies of Fat Rose looked like.
Yeah but the thing is I'm okay with that if it's never mentioned, ever. Rose's mom is exactly as bland and desexualized as everyone else in this comic, it's not exactly a Gilchrist Fritzi situation. I just wish we didn't know the author's preferences because I don't want to be able to know what the comic artist likes sexually.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

brave posters Julet Esqu and Manuela Calavera posted:

FOOB info for me, a dumb idiot poster

thank u :)

also hell yeah i'd kill for Vintage Valiant

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Hey Alhazred, where were you getting All Quiet on the Homefront? I thought it might be fun to try translating them. I can see the latest (from Dec 28) on Dagbladet.no, but not any others.

I gave it a shot. All Quiet on the Homefront (Intet nytt fra hjemmefronten) is a Norwegian comic by Therese G. Eide, which is about raising three kids in Norway so far as I can tell.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 2, 2020

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
I have one edit that I made last year that I was particularly proud of:

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns is a long-running strip about a husband and wife who hate each other and fight constantly. It's also a lowkey great strip.

Brewster Rocket Space Guy is about the crew of the spaceship R.U. Serious and their wacky antics. It's pretty bad and I don't think anyone reads it.

On The Fastrack is the first of Bill Holbrook's trilogy of strips that is a thread hateread favorite. It's about a goth girl named Dethany who works in I.T. and is a huge suck-up to her boss. It's also filled with the worse visual metaphors you'll ever see.

Safe Havens is the second of Holbrook's strips. It originally was about a daycare center but now it's about how DNA is magic and they went to Mars and adopted the planet legally as their child. They are on their way back to Earth after unfortunately saving it from a comet.

Kevin & Kell is the final Holbrook strip. It's about a hellworld of capitalism with predator and prey dynamics. It gets more hosed up every day.

Mother Goose & Grimm is a single panel gag comic that doesn't hit very often but does get a few good jokes in sometimes. Usually it's low-effort puns.

Hagar THe Horrible stars the titular Viking and his family & friends. We see both his pillaging life and home life and somehow manages to be pretty funny more often than not. It's far better than a long-runner like this usual is.

Sherman's Lagoon is about sea creatures and their daily lives. Shenanigans ensue and it's been mentioned a few times that the crab needs to be read in Danny DeVito's voice.

Frazz is maybe the worst strip in the thread. It's about a songwriter janitor in an elementary school and the precocious children that surround him. It stole its art style from Calvin & Hobbes but none of the humor or charm.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

why are we worried about serial killer RL

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Hello, I post translated Matthew Nekonaughey from mr. q-rais, who is kind of insanely prolific and has many other comics that occasionally get posted as well, and who last year drew the single greatest official Pokemon art.

I post new comics under the title Nekonaughey, but as there's no set schedule or anything and it's just whenever q-rais feels like doing one I also work my way through the back catalogue and post those as Classic Cats.

Classic Cat

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

FrumpleOrz posted:

Frazz is maybe the worst strip in the thread. It's about a songwriter janitor in an elementary school and the precocious children that surround him. It stole its art style from Calvin & Hobbes but none of the humor or charm.

Why is this grown man hanging around unrelated fourth graders over holiday break?

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

someone awful. posted:

please can we not post the work of a guy who probably sexually abused his assistant or whatever, it's not really that funny

I agree with this.

This is what, the fifth strip in the row of Mark doubting Dr. Vargo's motives? James probably thinks this is being subtle and that there's totally no twist of Dr. Vargo being a greedy influencer. It's really pathetic how James is still so mad about Vargo and thinks this is going to own him or whatever.

Manuel Calavera posted:

I used to post Dilbert as well. But Scott Adams is loving terrible and we no longer post. That was, an experience.

:toot:

Selachian posted:

For the new thread, I've decided to stop posting Pros and Cons, which used to be a thread favorite. While it's still well-drawn and gets out the occasional good gag, over the last few years, it has been frequently lurching into right-wing rear end in a top hat territory.

:toot::toot::toot:

PetraCore posted:

Thanks, I hate it.

StrixNebulosa posted:

why are we worried about serial killer RL

won't someone think of the poor ex-CEOs?

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

:eyepop: thats a good cat

Selachian posted:

holy poo poo i missed this, thank you

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Happy New Thread!

The Dinette Set is a hate letter to middle class white suburbia ny Julie Larson. It focuses on the families of two sisters (the Pennys and the Darwins), who are generally very terrible and have that confident ignorance that comes with being medicore white people.

Working Daze is a well-loathed thread "favorite". It's theoretically a workplace comedy strip, but author John Zakour and artist Scott Roberts are pretty incapable of making jokes beyond lazy nerd references, referencing other strips, and "CHARACTER has CHARACTERISTIC" gags. Oh, and several of the characters have cosmic powers for some reason and have been known to turn their "friends" into inanimate objects.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix is by Ruben Boling, and started on his [url="https://"""]Tom the Dancing Bug[/url] webcomic as a parody of newspaper comic pages. It's currently in repeats and has been ghost written by person or persons unknown. Recurring characters include a quantum weather butterfly, the world's dumbest time traveler, and the ghost of James Caan.

Cul De Sac is by the late Richard Thompson, who passed away in 2016. Cul De Sac is the polar opposite of things like Foob and Dustin: the story of a loving suburban family (the Otterloops). The main characters are Alice (a slight hyperactive four year old) and her older brother Petey (a bit neurotic, very bookish, a world-class picky eater, and one of his friends may or may not be imaginary).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
King Aroo is the only monarch I'll recognize (8/12/53)

They'll Do It Every Time is a vehicle for various jerks to write in and complain about other jerks (7/18/46)

Mopsy is a nice girl (7/28/42)