Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Yami Fenrir posted:

I see Zro more than I see Living Metal tbh.

I wish i saw Living Metal more cuz it's infinitely more useful, imo.

720 days per megastructure, anyone?

You can get it even lower, technically. Possibly down to a year or less, even.

I have previously asked on this thread what Zro even does, and I frequently play psychic spiritualists...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

OddObserver posted:

I have previously asked on this thread what Zro even does, and I frequently play psychic spiritualists...

Psionic shields

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

I mean thanks for the rest of the post but this was a hell of a truth bomb to start the new year with :smithicide:

You are far too good for us, and I assume your posting is an act of charity.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Splicer posted:

I mean thanks for the rest of the post but this was a hell of a truth bomb to start the new year with :smithicide:

we've all been wasting our lives on this game together

maybe the real treasure were the alien races we enslaved along the way

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

SpookyLizard posted:

we've all been wasting our lives on this game together

maybe the real treasure were the alien races we enslaved along the way

I spent three hours the other night on a bunch of false starts with my first shot at a diplomatic empire. First one I got boxed in by two empires immediately, the next two all of my first contacts were xenophobic isolationists

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Aren't gestalt empires supposed to be using some low level psionics for drone management? I thought I read that somewhere but could be mistaken. It would be cool if they were given some use for zro. Even with that change it'd still be a weirdly rare resource that has very little use

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
this might be a stupid question, but is there a mod that adds more "stellaris like" music to the game?

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Not a mod that I'm aware of, but the soundtracks for FTL, Mass Effect, and The Expanse all fit the existing soundtrack pretty well

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Hot Karl Marx posted:

this might be a stupid question, but is there a mod that adds more "stellaris like" music to the game?
You can buy some of the DLC too

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I used to love wasting my life playing Stellaris but the megacorp update added a bunch of half-baked bullshit and made the game run like poo poo despite setting out to do the opposite. One of stellaris's strengths imo was that you could escape a lot of the micromanagement late in the game with a big empire, but this patch added vague penalties for empire size and a bunch of extra micromanagement of towers, trade routes, patrols, and planetary builds which the AI ended up somehow even worse at than before, and ran so poorly you were stuck on a small map if you wanted to ever see endgame. Is any of this better now?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

CainsDescendant posted:

Not a mod that I'm aware of, but the soundtracks for FTL, Mass Effect, and The Expanse all fit the existing soundtrack pretty well

There's definitely a mod to add Mass Effect music to the game. There's also the Stellaris Music Expansion Pack.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

poverty goat posted:

I used to love wasting my life playing Stellaris but the megacorp update added a bunch of half-baked bullshit and made the game run like poo poo despite setting out to do the opposite. One of stellaris's strengths imo was that you could escape a lot of the micromanagement late in the game with a big empire, but this patch added vague penalties for empire size and a bunch of extra micromanagement of towers, trade routes, patrols, and planetary builds which the AI ended up somehow even worse at than before, and ran so poorly you were stuck on a small map if you wanted to ever see endgame. Is any of this better now?
Nope! And it will only be getting worse with the next patch.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

That's disappointing. I'd love to play the new story content on the last patch before megacorps.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
The trick is to be a fanatical purifier. You are saving the galaxy from bad performance by eradicating the main source of lag, the filthy xenos.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

So I apparently can't pacify machine worlds, they're simply not valid targets for my colossus. Working through an empire that has a mix of normal planets and habitats and machine worlds, and I'm pacifying everything but I can't pacify the machine worlds. Has anyone else had this problem?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Just to make sure, but by "pacofy", you mean your colossus has the global pacifier, which puts a shield around the world, right?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Got Lithoids on steam with my steam voucher thing from uploading a christmas steam credit gift.

steam

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Splicer posted:

Got Lithoids on steam with my steam voucher thing from uploading a christmas steam credit gift.

steam
Lithoids are awesome, I find managing my worlds/empire much easier without the need for food.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Hot Karl Marx posted:

If you like Synthwave, this mod will hook you up with a ton of it. I think it works well but YMMV

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1385224677

Or how about just a bunch of Star Trek music

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1098695376

Or if you want epic superhero movie music (think the non-70s parts of the Guardians of the Galaxy soundtrack)

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1311857977

(Don't worry if music mods are wildly out of date; pretty sure the format's remained the same since initial release and they all still work.)

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 2, 2020

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Epicurius posted:

Just to make sure, but by "pacofy", you mean your colossus has the global pacifier, which puts a shield around the world, right?

That's right

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Vangelis.

Download all the Vangelis you can, a bit of Daft Punk from their Tron Legacy soundtrack, and a pinch of Brian Eno.

I would 100% believe the soundtrack artists used them as inspiration ad it is. At the very least Vangelis.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Thanks for the suggestions

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I haven't touched stellaris since the launcher/2.5 update evaporated all of my mods. :suicide:

1. Does the new launcher still work like piss organizing the mods you have?
2. Should I just unsubscribe from EVERYTHING and manually try to find and subscribe to compatible ones?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Grouchio posted:

I haven't touched stellaris since the launcher/2.5 update evaporated all of my mods. :suicide:

1. Does the new launcher still work like piss organizing the mods you have?
2. Should I just unsubscribe from EVERYTHING and manually try to find and subscribe to compatible ones?

1. It works great for me but I didn't have any experience with the new launcher until like 3 weeks ago so i don't know what it used to be like
2. a bunch of my old mods were also completely incompatible with the current version of the game so yes, you should probably just get updated mods

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I've also been a long time away from Stellaris, and I'm wondering about how multi-species empires are done. Do pops still grow at the rate of 1 pop at a time with each species having a 'turn', or will a planet with multiple species grow them all at different rates?

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing
are there any mods/specific settings that drastically help with late game performance? i've been checked out since a few months after megacorps release and i've heard the game has somehow devolved from a technical standpoint. wanted to start up a game of the huge galaxy star trek mod, scared it'll get completely unplayable late game though unless i take some proactive steps to prevent said outcome before starting.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

CommissarMega posted:

I've also been a long time away from Stellaris, and I'm wondering about how multi-species empires are done. Do pops still grow at the rate of 1 pop at a time with each species having a 'turn', or will a planet with multiple species grow them all at different rates?

One at a time. Robots can be assembled in parallel (which is why robots are so damned strong).

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

PittTheElder posted:

One at a time. Robots can be assembled in parallel (which is why robots are so damned strong).

Aw, that's a bit of a bugger. Oh well, back to being a Rogue Servitor it seems!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

CommissarMega posted:

Aw, that's a bit of a bugger. Oh well, back to being a Rogue Servitor it seems!
To clarify, they can be built in parallel with bio pops, not with each other. Researching robots ASAP is the biggest pop boost you can get, or you can go rogue servitor, driven assimilator, or mechanist to start with both types.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I kinda liked the idea someone proposed where you always have two slots for growth on a given planet, with the first being filled with growth based on your core race (so a robot would build robots in the first slot and a biological would build biologicals there) and the second being filled by either a cloning facility - producing biological pops - or a robot manufactory.

That way you could do all biological, all robot, or a mix of both without losing out on pop growth.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah that'd be really cool actually.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Unsub from all your mods, go in and manually clear out the mod directory, then open the mod launcher. Make sure its empty. then download mods. id recommend opening and mananging mods, then closing the launcher every couple of mods cause its a poo poo launcher.

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Since I have been a big part of this derail I just wanted to say that this is my big sticking point, too. Based on what I understand about the combat, what we as player see is what is going on and is not a visual representation ("abstraction") of what is actually going on in the "background", therefore either more player agency or more (read: less visual) abstraction is necessary.

Splicer posted:

Other combat stuff else where

The youtuber aspec does stellaris videos where he uses console commands etc to make fleets with absurd evasion etc. The takeaway from them is that the percent boost values do not directly translate into actual increases in evasion etc. I'm mentioning this since people hadn't and it seems relevant that your design intentions can be made irrelevant by mysterious gears and devices in the stellaris combat box.

As much as I like ship design in 4x games it seems less important in stellaris and a time sync.

Moo3 (although terrible) had some really crazy things you could do with non-standard designs that warped in, fired their entire inventory of missiles, and warp out. Combat would continue and your missiles would find targets. I don't see the ability to make cool designs in stellaris.

Yami Fenrir posted:

Okay, I did some testing on Planet Build Speed.

It does work.

Sort of?

My starting point for an Alloy Foundry was 240 time units.

Then I got the +50% build speed technology.

Now the planet says it will take 160 time units to build.

When I actually build an Alloy Foundry, it actually takes 180 time units to build.

I don't have any planetary modifiers that'd change that, so... I have no idea. At the very least it DOES lower the build time, I guess?

This is another example of weird mechanics. This may be intended or a bug. No one knows.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
the build time is reduced but you still need to line up contractors, deal with building permits, and all that bureaucracy

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

SpookyLizard posted:

the build time is reduced but you still need to line up contractors, deal with building permits, and all that bureaucracy

Yeah, and with byzantine bureaucracy it should really take you longer overall, for each reduction bonus you get. Since in addition to the regular paperwork your pops need to complete, they also need to complete a variety of waivers and the like, in order to (hopefully) complete construction earlier than planned :v:

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
So last night I got to the endgame crisis of my first game in a while. I had an inward perfectionist/mechanist society that expanded quick then built up and left the rest of the galaxy alone. I was surrounded by purifiers which was fun as they suicided fleets into citadels very ready to see them land in the system.

Eventually, about the hundred year mark I started to get the AI rebellion events and did nothing to stop them, figuring a fight against the AI rebellion would be my own private little war. At the same time the Khan attacked and the L gates opened with gray tempest so the rest of the galaxy started to get stomped. When the AI rebellion event came I noticed I could side with the machines instead and thought yeah why not.

After finishing the war and conquering the hermit kingdom I had spent a century building, this new, non-inward focused AI, I decided, would be a galactic defender, and so I built up to beat both the Khan & Tempest, and waited for the inevitable contingency to turn on.

Its now 2420 ish, and I forgot the mods I have on don't stop me from getting one crisis... so I got subspace echoes, and then a year later, the ghost signal.

Protectrons! Assemble.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Are 2000+ system galaxies still unplayable a century in? Even with those performance mods?

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!

Grouchio posted:

Are 2000+ system galaxies still unplayable a century in? Even with those performance mods?

I'm playing on a 1000 system galaxy with glavius and its working fine 200 years in

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Major Isoor posted:

Yeah, and with byzantine bureaucracy it should really take you longer overall, for each reduction bonus you get. Since in addition to the regular paperwork your pops need to complete, they also need to complete a variety of waivers and the like, in order to (hopefully) complete construction earlier than planned :v:

builsings have a percentage chance for production to get delayed or expedited because paperwork was filed improperly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Grouchio posted:

Oh the game is mostly fine a century in.

It's 2 centuries in where your cpu starts begging for mercy. Even on mediun which has like, 1k stars?